Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #226
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

Would the fast passes you "reserve" be for a specific time or would that be determined day of? Do we have any ideas how the actual timing would work out?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #227
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrim View Post
The problem with that is that my next trip will not be my last trip, and everyone is saying that FP will eventually disappear. I don't know how far in advance you will be able to schedule FP+, but I expect it is going to end up like the ADR. Theoretically, you can schedule a reservation a day before or even the day of, but in reality, popular spots are totally booked 6 months.

I hate having to decide where I will be what day 6 months in advance (even before crowd predictions come out), so I do very little TS -- it's not worth the hassle. If I have to schedule my 3 FP+ per day 6 months in advance and otherwise it's stand in line, what's the point of FP+ at all? And I can skip TS, but I can't skip the rides.

If some slots are reserved for FP+ for those who want to plan every step half a year in advance, all well and good, as long as the current on-the-spot FP system continues (with presumably fewer spots). But if FP+ is going to totally replace the current system (as everything indicates), I can't see the advantage to run-of-the-mill guests at all. In fact, to my mind, it would be a big detraction.
There is absolutely ZERO indication that you will be able to reserve FP+ slots six months out. Everything from the interview with the VP to the Terms and Conditions (yes UNCFanatik, I know they can change) have indicated a 60-day window for FP+ reservations. Which makes sense now that you can check into your resort online at 60 days out now too.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #228
alisha123
Mouseketeer

iPhone 4S and no problems at all with reservations showing up so far!!
alisha123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #229
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

Some benefits

We were part of the early FP+ testing last Sept at MK and there were some nice things about it. Back then, this was strictly using credit card sized RFID cards, not wristbands. You were allowed to book four FP+ attractions in one day.
  • No need to be at the park early for FP’s. This will probably be the biggest benefit for our family. Imagine you are getting towards the end or second half of your vacation and just feel the need to sleep in. Well, this can be a big decision without FP+, because if you sleep in on a HS or EP day, and want FP’s for TSMM or Soarin, by the time you get the park the FP window may be very late in the day already. (or gone completely) Especially if there was a EMH morning. This is also true if you plan to visit a park on your arrival day. With the new system, you can still reserve a FP+ window for when you actuallly arrive in the park.

• The FP+ window times were pretty flexible, so we were able to schedule the FP’s in order of how we logistically toured around the park. In our case, it was heading to the hub and going counter clockwise. You could also just select your fav attractions and let it preselect times for you. (we didn’t do that, but rather chose our times directly)

• You didn’t need to run around to get FP’s

Now, I still can’t stand the idea of wearing a wristband (so I won’t).

We were able to use FP+ AND the regular paper FP’s, it was awesome.

I have great reservations about when this goes 100% live and the paper FP’s go away. I assume at that point the number of allowed FP+’s will increase per day, as all those guests holding paper FP won’t be filling the queue’s. That would allow more FP+’s to be distributed.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
DisneyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #230
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

While many people are freaking out about this I'm of the belief that Disney is doing this to improve the Disney Experience, not ruin it. The goal of any business, especially Disney, is to make money. They don't make money by making the experience less fun and having people wait in longer lines. They make money by getting you through that line as quick as possible and dumping you into the themed store at the end of the ride where, while you are pumped up with enthusiasm from the ride, will buy their products. They want you out in the park buying food and drinks from the carts or in the stores buying merchandise. If you have to wait an hour per ride they aren't accomplishing that and people won't return, which is another key metric.

They want to expedite people through the turnstiles at the gates as well as on the rides. If you have to camp out for a half hour or hour before a parade or show to get a spot then again you aren't experiencing the park. If you have to split up your party to get fastpasses and you're rushing around to find one another how much fun is that? And since the bulk of the guests likely aren't early risers or super planners, giving them the option of scheduling a few things is probably a bonus. Embracing the technology (smartphones) that a significant portion of the world has is also smart. I would expect to see other parks follow similar patterns once this is rolled out completely.

No company makes profits year after year by alienating it's customer base.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #231
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Sorry I have been on a slight hiatus since I posted this yesterday. I read through a majority of the posts and I'll try and answer some questions I saw. If you have a question for me, please quote this and ask me directly.

For those asking about day of FP's, from what I have been told, certain attractions will have a select number of FP blocked for guests to book, either from a computer, smartphone, kiosk, or GR. You will not have to go to the attraction to book them, so no carrying multiple wristbands. Now big attractions, like TSMM, will NOT have this option.

What happens if the attraction you have a FP for closes for any reason? You will receive an email/text about this downtime, and will be asked to go to the app on your phone/computer/kiosk and will be able to switch your FP to another attraction. Big attractions, like TSMM, like NOT be able to be switched to.

I've got a few hours fee, ask away.
buzzCMlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #232
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzCMlightyear View Post

What happens if the attraction you have a FP for closes for any reason? You will receive an email/text about this downtime, and will be asked to go to the app on your phone/computer/kiosk and will be able to switch your FP to another attraction. Big attractions, like TSMM, like NOT be able to be switched to.

So wait, you're saying that if I have an 11 a.m. TSM FP+ reservation and the attraction is down from 10:45 to noon, I'm just out of luck on that reservation and the only way I can ride it that day would be standby?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #233
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
So wait, you're saying that if I have an 11 a.m. TSM FP+ reservation and the attraction is down from 10:45 to noon, I'm just out of luck on that reservation and the only way I can ride it that day would be standby?
They should still take that TSMM FP when the ride becomes operational after, the email and adjust is mainly for smaller attractions and for people to find something to do instead of walking there and getting upset that it is closed.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #234
superdisneydork
Mouseketeer

Quote:
They should still take that TSMM FP when the ride becomes operational after, the email and adjust is mainly for smaller attractions and for people to find something to do instead of walking there and getting upset that it is closed.
In this case, is the (now technically expired) FP reservation only available immediately at reopening, or at anytime thereafter?

Matt
superdisneydork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #235
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry I have been on a slight hiatus since I posted this yesterday. I read through a majority of the posts and I'll try and answer some questions I saw. If you have a question for me, please quote this and ask me directly.

For those asking about day of FP's, from what I have been told, certain attractions will have a select number of FP blocked for guests to book, either from a computer, smartphone, kiosk, or GR. You will not have to go to the attraction to book them, so no carrying multiple wristbands. Now big attractions, like TSMM, will NOT have this option.

Allow me to reiterate the question I asked back on the first page of this thread: where are you getting this information?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #236
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdisneydork View Post
In this case, is the (now technically expired) FP reservation only available immediately at reopening, or at anytime thereafter?

Matt
It should be available anytime thereafter, to a reasonable extent. If there are any problems with this, say you have a ADR while it becomes operational again, just tell the CM and they are able to "grant access" on the Ipad/touch screen to allow you in.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #237
FutureMrs.Incredible
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVASTGrl View Post
Wait wait wait...the regular FREE FPs are going to be phased out?? I thought the FP+ was supposed to be an optional supplement for people who want to pay extra for it, and the regular FPs were still going to be available to the rest of us who aren't interested??

I'll admit I haven't kept up with all of the news, very disappointed if this is the case
Agreed! While I haven't been keeping up with the FP+ plans, because I wasn't planning a trip yet, I'm not sure if I like this yet. I would like it if they kept the original FPs in place in addition to the FP+.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #238
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

When might MDE be updated to allow AP holders to link their tickets so we'll have the option to do FP+? Being a DVCer and AP holder I want to participate but m unable to until I can do this. Right now it appears to only be for package holdera
catherines_mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #239
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Allow me to reiterate the question I asked back on the first page of this thread: where are you getting this information?
You do see the OP's username, yes? With "CM" in the middle of it? I'm assuming s/he's a cast member and is directly involved in this.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #240
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherines_mama View Post
When might MDE be updated to allow AP holders to link their tickets so we'll have the option to do FP+? Being a DVCer and AP holder I want to participate but m unable to until I can do this. Right now it appears to only be for package holdera
Just to make sure everyone is clear... The reports are that there is a test going on with 100 people in the parks. At just one park with tens of thousands of people in it each day, this test is a teeny tiny drop in the bucket. We're nowhere near needing to be worried about linking our APs yet. No large-scale rollout seems imminent.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: