Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #1516
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

So, I re-watched a few portions of the interview with Tom Staggs from the D:All Things Digital Conference and this idea stood out as a money maker.

Your child could get online prior to your trip to custom design a doll which would pop up during IASW with a personalized greeting such as "Happy Birthday Bobby" or what have you. No mention of cost was made in the interview but of course this would not be a "free" feature. Disney is not going to create, program and install a doll for IASW gratis. Guests in and around Bobby's boat will wonder how they did that and want the same experience for themselves.

Although it is slightly creepy, I think this particular deluxe feature could generate some cash.
agavegirl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #1517
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If Disney HAS designed a FP+ system that WORKS, it would:
A- Put it into operation.
B- Fully explained it.

Since they have done neither, the reasons they have not may be:
A- They don't want to show their plan for competitors steal.
B- The system doesn't work.
C- ?
c) its not ready yet.

And that has got to be killing Disney I think. They wanted to do it in April. (I think) and they couldn't. Some indicators are they will want to do it in June, along with ticket price stuff, but thats mostly my speculation.

But the longer the delay, the harder it is to make a big impact on the short term summer vacationer, something I suspected Disney wanted to do, because they were going to do it in april.

I cant help but feel, we are in for some great fireworks from Disney. Maybe its optimism, and maybe I have over estimated Disneys concern for Universal. But it could make for the most entertaining disboard threads this june. I hope so!
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #1518
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
So, I re-watched a few portions of the interview with Tom Staggs from the D:All Things Digital Conference and this idea stood out as a money maker.

Your child could get online prior to your trip to custom design a doll which would pop up during IASW with a personalized greeting such as "Happy Birthday Bobby" or what have you. No mention of cost was made in the interview but of course this would not be a "free" feature. Disney is not going to create, program and install a doll for IASW gratis. Guests in and around Bobby's boat will wonder how they did that and want the same experience for themselves.

Although it is slightly creepy, I think this particular deluxe feature could generate some cash.
Something like this is actually one of the rumors of the "personalized experiences". However, it was going to be digital, not a physical doll, so the costs in that case are minimal.

I cannot see them somehow creating a physical doll for each, then having them on standby for whenever that particular guest happens to be on the attraction.

All of these enhanced experiences will likely be computer-driven.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1519
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Something like this is actually one of the rumors of the "personalized experiences". However, it was going to be digital, not a physical doll, so the costs in that case are minimal.

I cannot see them somehow creating a physical doll for each, then having them on standby for whenever that particular guest happens to be on the attraction.

All of these enhanced experiences will likely be computer-driven.
Now this makes much more sense. Mr. Staggs made it sound like a physical doll but that would be pretty crazy and unrealistic. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #1520
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If Disney HAS designed a FP+ system that WORKS, it would:
A- Put it into operation.
B- Fully explained it.

Since they have done neither, the reasons they have not may be:
A- They don't want to show their plan for competitors steal.
B- The system doesn't work.
C- ?
C - Could be some internal dissent over what this will be.

Also, can anyone else imagine a family with a little boy going through it's a small world and...

"Here it comes! We got a surprise for you Christopher!"

Then you see the little doll and it says...

"HELLO LAUREN." or "HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #1521
abinormal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post

No one has kids and thinks, "I can't wait until I can take little Johnny to Universal Studios for the first time..." It's a place where teenagers and men under 40 like to go because of the thrills.
Huh. I thought I was a 30 year old female. Thanks for setting me straight.

And I do have kids and I have said I couldn't wait to take them to Universal. I've been there and I love it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #1522
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Also, can anyone else imagine a family with a little boy going through it's a small world and...

"Here it comes! We got a surprise for you Christopher!"

Then you see the little doll and it says...

"HELLO LAUREN." or "HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"
I thought about this too. The Small World boats hold so many that there are bound to be several disappointed kids when their doll doesn't come up. Not that I believe that everyone should get the same and my child would know that there would be a very good chance he wouldn't see his "doll". But Disney is selling this like it will happen for everyone and runs the risk from those parents that would think it is unfair that Lauren's doll made into the ride and not their little Christopher.

Another thing that has been mentioned is the parades. With the amount of people that watch a parade how is Disney going to keep those entitled parents that think if one child is singled out, then there child should be singled out too from coming away alittle disappointed.
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #1523
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mickeyfan View Post
I thought about this too. The Small World boats hold so many that there are bound to be several disappointed kids when their doll doesn't come up. Not that I believe that everyone should get the same and my child would know that there would be a very good chance he wouldn't see his "doll". But Disney is selling this like it will happen for everyone and runs the risk from those parents that would think it is unfair that Lauren's doll made into the ride and not their little Christopher.

Another thing that has been mentioned is the parades. With the amount of people that watch a parade how is Disney going to keep those entitled parents that think if one child is singled out, then there child should be singled out too from coming away alittle disappointed.
The more I think about this, with the number of people in an attraction vehicle, parade watching space or whatever, personalization could be fraught with negative unintended consequences. The dirty looks and comments people receive in the FP line from those in SB will be mild in comparison.

Not to mention, those who are soaking in the Parade or ride experience may get distracted by a non-stop string of "hello Bobby, hello Suzie, hello Cindy, hello Juan, hello File Not Found.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #1524
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinormal View Post
Huh. I thought I was a 30 year old female. Thanks for setting me straight.

And I do have kids and I have said I couldn't wait to take them to Universal. I've been there and I love it.
and in response to Mad Hattered and Stefne...

Of course, I'm generalizing. But of my friends who have kids under the age of 6, they all are waiting to take them to DisneyWorld. The only people who want to go to Universal are the husbands and some teenagers.

Does this mean that absolutely zero 60 year olds are at Universal? Of course not. Does this mean that zero 2 year olds like Universal? Of course not. And does this mean that no 40 year olds like reading Harry Potter? No, it doesn't.

What I think I am right about is, and someone articulated this earlier, that WDW has the ability to appeal to all generations at the same time...hence a FAMILY vacation. This is what Walt wanted. He didn't just want a screaming, roller-coaster amusement park!

My 65 year old parents live 1.5 hours away from WDW. I can promise you that they will NEVER go to Universal. They would have no interest in the coasters or thrill rides and won't be bothered to pay for those tickets. But do they go to Food and Wine every year?! Yes they do! Do they visit WDW every spring when my sister brings her family down? Yes they do. Someone please tell me why anyone over the age of 60 would be interested in Universal? No, seriously....anyone?

I would probably enjoy going to USF and IoA for two days. I doubt I would ever go back, though. Since I own DVC and have an AP, why would I spend all that money to leave WDW at all?
I used to LOVE Bob Marley and the Simpsons. No, I mean A LOT. From the time I was 16-25, easily these were my two favorite things. Has the inclusion of either of those at Universal gotten me there yet? Nope. It would be hundreds of dollars extra for me to get a cab, or rent a car, or stay over at their resorts, plus two days worth of tickets...and for what? A Simpson ride and a Marley cafe? No thanks.

I didn't read Harry Potter. And I don't think the next generation of tweens is going to get into it as much as this generation did. So it won't be the draw that it is today. Star Wars is exactly the opposite. Three movies were made in 1970s and 80s, capturing me in my youth and my parents in their prime. THEN, they released three more movies between 1999 and 2003 - capturing me in my prime, my parents for the nostalgia, and the new generation in their youth. NOW, they're going to release even more movies! I think you get my point. Star Wars was my favorite movie when I was 5 years old. It was my nephew favorite when he was 5. He is currently 9....

Harry Potter books were released from 1997-2007, and movies from 2001-2011. It captured pretty much the same generation over that 15 year span. (Honestly, they would have been smart to just start making the movies now, as it would have sparked an renewed interest in the books among younger people + all the original readers would want to see it.)

But Harry Potter is done. There are no more books, there are no more movies. The kids who read those books may or may not pass them down to their own kids. And again, I do not feel that some family 20 years from now is going to take their kids all the way to USF just for an attraction about a book that wouldn't have been relevant in 15 years!

But they will for Star Wars...

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #1525
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
The more I think about this, with the number of people in an attraction vehicle, parade watching space or whatever, personalization could be fraught with negative unintended consequences. The dirty looks and comments people receive in the FP line from those in SB will be mild in comparison.

Not to mention, those who are soaking in the Parade or ride experience may get distracted by a non-stop string of "hello Bobby, hello Suzie, hello Cindy, hello Juan, hello File Not Found.
Doesn't it sound wonderful!!

Sounds like Disney is wanting to change the way people see the parks. Now instead of guest coming home and talking about the unexpected magical thing that happened; they go in expecting something magical to happen. That seems like a huge task for Disney to do. And more chance of a family coming away feeling like they were cheated. And I ask, how magical is it when you expect it to happen?
mom2mickeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1526
Squidgyness
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sounds like Disney is wanting to change the way people see the parks. Now instead of guest coming home and talking about the unexpected magical thing that happened; they go in expecting something magical to happen. That seems like a huge task for Disney to do. And more chance of a family coming away feeling like they were cheated. And I ask, how magical is it when you expect it to happen?
Exactly. It won't be "you'll never guess what happened to little Tim at WDW!" it will become "you'll never guess what I arranged for little Tim to get!"

And yes, I can imagine a lot of families coming home a little disappointed that their child didn't get a personalised experience at that ride where another kid did, for whatever reason. I mean, will only one kid per on each vehicle or boat get it? Or is there going to be that constant stream of people as a PP said? "Hello Tim, Suzie, James, Christopher, Sophie..." ugh. Man that would get annoying fast.

Guaranteed and pre ordered Magic isn't really magic, is it? I guess the kids won't know any different. But some people are already pretty entitled to special treatment OR ELSE. This isn't really going to help... I can imagine the complaints and arguments now.

Other Trips :
France/Belgium 2007, London 2008 and 2009, Malta 2011.

NEXT TRIP: Malta July 2015! (7 days)

Last edited by Squidgyness; 05-30-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Squidgyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #1527
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:

And really un-magical if you've paid for these extras by way of premium pluses (eg. a parade interaction or a customized IASW doll) and the technology glitches (which it clearly will at some point in time) and you don't get what you're expecting.

This whole thing just seems so complex to pull off consistently well.

And I agree with those who think we'd all tire pretty quickly of the barrage of customized greetings flying around at every turn.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1528
peel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #1529
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

Well, I must say, I do not agree with you regarding Harry Potter MichiganDVC. But only time will tell what kind of lasting power it has. Star Wars certainly has had it for sure, cant argue with that.

However, correct me If I'm wrong, but JK Rowling is still alive isnt she? And, she's not 100 years old is she? I mean, there is no telling what could be coming in the future.......
Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1530
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Customized Magic Bands = $45
Reserved Premium Parade Seating = $75
Personalized Interactive Parade Experience = $150

Quote:
"HELLO <RESERVATION NOT FOUND>"
THIS ^^^^ PRICELESS!!!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote