Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #46
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,276

Here's the article CNN posted about Disney looking into it...

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullar...g=&pagesize=10

Now the point is made that more often than not, a GAC does shorten your wait (contrary to what many posters want to say on This Board) otherwise this wouldn't be such an issue, now would it??
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #47
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,454
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Here's the article CNN posted about Disney looking into it...

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullar...g=&pagesize=10

Now the point is made that more often than not, a GAC does shorten your wait (contrary to what many posters want to say on This Board) otherwise this wouldn't be such an issue, now would it??
Even though the article says Disney is looking into it, the source is Martin (the writer of the book), who is using this all as publicity. And she doesn't exactly say they are, she presumes they are.

She also states in the interview that it is "Disney policy that guests with disabilities do not wait", but go to the front of the line for everything.
In all her interviews, she uses the same example of one woman saying her daughter waited in line for one minute for Small World when the line was 2 and 1/2 hours. That is false.

She is getting great publicity for her book without checking if anything is she was told is actually factual or not.

Your reported experience that using a GAC more often than not shorten your wait does not mean that other people's experience that waits tend to even out over the course of the day is wrong - some attractions shorter, some attractions longer, some the same.
Despite what you continue to post, no one posts that the wait is always longer, just that it could be.
In the Small World pictures I posted, many of those people in the 'handicapped' line had GACs, not a mobility device. They were waiting in the same line, not going ahead of the people with mobility devices.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
mistysue
DIS Veteran
 
mistysue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,745

I don't have the direct experience, but even just from reading everybody argue about it ten times a day I can tell you that it has become clear that a GAC shortens your wait IF the parks are busy and IF you don't have a mobility/transfer sort of issue.
To be blunt about it, yes, if you have a GAC that gives you an alternate entrance and the alternate entrance is the fastpass line you would have to be an idiot not to see that the wait is shortened. Many people are getting a GAC because so-and-so "can't wait" for whatever reason... so obviously they repeat the process because it meant they didn't have to wait.
So what is left are the situations where the alternate wait takes you to some other area, where the general public has no clue what is going on or where you are. Maybe the wait is shorter, maybe it is longer, but the perception of most people who do it is that their wait is shorter. Maybe they are just more entertained because they have a CM to be annoyed at for questioning them. Who cares? Is it really worth arguing over anyways?

What matters is that people who have a need should have the need met, and people shouldn't fake needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
Here's the article CNN posted about Disney looking into it...

http://m.cnn.com/primary/cnnd_fullar...g=&pagesize=10

Now the point is made that more often than not, a GAC does shorten your wait (contrary to what many posters want to say on This Board) otherwise this wouldn't be such an issue, now would it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Your reported experience that using a GAC more often than not shorten your wait does not mean that other people's experience that waits tend to even out over the course of the day is wrong - some attractions shorter, some attractions longer, some the same.
Despite what you continue to post, no one posts that the wait is always longer, just that it could be.
In the Small World pictures I posted, many of those people in the 'handicapped' line had GACs, not a mobility device. They were waiting in the same line, not going ahead of the people with mobility devices.
__________________
Me(33) DH(32) DD(10) DS(5) DS(3)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #49
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"
 
babyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,368

All the news stories I hear on TV about this have mentioned something about the family not wanted to spend the $350 on the fast pass.... what fast pass??? I was under the impression you could not buy any type of fast pass.....
__________________
Doodlebop Archie Ben


babyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #50
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,454
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrich View Post
All the news stories I hear on TV about this have mentioned something about the family not wanted to spend the $350 on the fast pass.... what fast pass??? I was under the impression you could not buy any type of fast pass.....
One of the issues and fact check problems with the story.
Fastpasses are free.

WDW does offer their own tour guides, which in some cases, bypasses some waits. One level of WDW official tour guides is $350 per hour.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #51
babyrich
"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"
 
babyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
One of the issues and fact check problems with the story.
Fastpasses are free.

WDW does offer their own tour guides, which in some cases, bypasses some waits. One level of WDW official tour guides is $350 per hour.
Thank you.... I keep telling everyone the Fast Pass for $350 is malarkey .... one of my friends said to me yesterday... well that's what they said on the news... I said, the news is wrong... and she said... no, they would check those things.
__________________
Doodlebop Archie Ben


babyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #52
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,993

In today's news media, fact checkers are as rare as proofreaders.
__________________
Last visited Walt Disney World 11/27/12 - 12/03/12
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.