Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I also find it odd that Disney doesn't dispute the idea that fastpasses can cost up to $3000 a day since there is no charge for them.
I think they're referring to the VIP tour guide costing that much. Just bad writing.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
olive
Mouseketeer

I agree that it was probably poor writing and a reference to the VIP cost, but who knows with the Post.

I saw this article on CNN this morning, as well. My first thought was whether this would lead to more restrictrions on GACs or eliminating them altogether. The abuse is really unfortunate. And the bit in the Post article about parents asking how to fake illnesses in their children to gain a benefit over others, real or perceived, is just so sad.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Disney needs to find a way to ensure that nobody--not on a scooter, not a child with autism (and yes I am mom of a child with autism), not an adult with panic disorder, nobody--gets on any ride significantly faster or slower than a non-disabled person. Is this possible? I think it could be, and they should find a way.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
Disney needs to find a way to ensure that nobody--not on a scooter, not a child with autism (and yes I am mom of a child with autism), not an adult with panic disorder, nobody--gets on any ride significantly faster or slower than a non-disabled person. Is this possible? I think it could be, and they should find a way.
I agree. There already is a way, they just don't use it.

Have CMs at ride entrances issue passes to come back consistent with the current wait time. They would still have to wait their turn, but could do it sitting down or in a more quiet area if needed.

ETA: One of my sons is paraplegic and one of my sons has Aspergers. I am also on full permanent disability myself. I do transcription work from home as an independent contractor and only get a partial disability check - I could quit and get a full check anytime I wanted. The reason being is I have days when I can work but sometimes can go a month or more without being able to, which is why I was awarded disability to begin with.

I look very healthy. On the inside, I have Lupus, severe asthma, and advanced arthritis. I've never used a GAC, but I may need to one day. I added this information so I wouldn't be accused of discriminating against any visible or invisible disabilities. I have plenty of experience with both.

Last edited by FortForever; 05-15-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #35
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
They were testing out a new way at Disneyland when we went last September.. The way it worked was they write down standby wait time and you are to return at that time..
At which time you are sent through the fast pass or the exit, if the line is not wheelchair accessible..

It may not work for all, but with a child that can't handle being touch.. Being able to wait somewhere out of the line was a blessing..

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #36
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I agree. There already is a way, they just don't use it.

Have CMs at ride entrances issue passes to come back consistent with the current wait time. They would still have to wait their turn, but could do it sitting down or in a more quiet area if needed.

ETA: One of my sons is paraplegic and one of my sons has Aspergers. I am also on full permanent disability myself. I do transcription work from home as an independent contractor and only get a partial disability check - I could quit and get a full check anytime I wanted. The reason being is I have days when I can work but sometimes can go a month or more without being able to, which is why I was awarded disability to begin with.

I look very healthy. On the inside, I have Lupus, severe asthma, and advanced arthritis. I've never used a GAC, but I may need to one day. I added this information so I wouldn't be accused of discriminating against any visible or invisible disabilities. I have plenty of experience with both.
That sounds good in theory, but doesn't always work in reality.

Let me start by giving a quick view of my needs in the park.
I use a wheelchair full time, have ADHD, severe anxiety and PTSD that manifests and social phobias, an inability to regulate body temp, heart rate, or blood pressure, and a whole host of other problems. I obviously tour the parks when they are not crowded, etc (I live 6 miles away from DL, so I have some flexibility).

This is MY AVERAGE experience with Radiator Springs Racers in DCA. It does not apply to any other ride or mean that the same thing will happen to you.

My particular GAC allows me to get a "return pass" for Radiator Springs Racers that is roughly equal to the posted wait time (give or take 15 minutes). I then go somewhere close to wait for the ride. Despite what people (not you, but people in general) think, I am not riding lots of other rides while waiting for my "return pass" for Racers. I am usually resting nearby. I use a manual wheelchair I push myself, so I am not going far while waiting - I just do not have the energy to push myself too far...

So I wait the 90-120 minute average wait time for my "return pass." This has been in lieu of my waiting in the standby line, which I cannot handle. Now I enter the Fastpass line. This line, depending on how many FP people actually return and how many "return passes" were issues for people with certain GAC/needs (those are not limited in number), this line can be anywhere from 5 to 35 minutes. On average, it is about 15-20 minutes. I have already waited the length of the stand-by time, and now add on the 15-20 minutes for the Fastpass line (the ride breaks down often, so getting stuck here is not uncommon).

Once I hit the merge of the FP and standby lines (which I have essentially waited the length of both), I now am directed to the wheelchair line. This line generally is at least 20 minutes long, and I have once waited 45 minutes in this line. So now I am in line #3 for Racers.

So I get to wait #1 Standby Time, #2 Fastpass Time, #3 Wheelchair Line

I really do not mind getting a "return pass" as I would have no hope of making it through the mainstream queue. And since I use a wheelchair, I know that there will almost always be an extra line for me.

I just wanted to point out that at least at the major attractions, there will almost always be a wheelchair line AFTER the mainstream/standby time. Not that the current system makes it perfect at all, but I will say that the "return pass" system currently at Racers does not provide an equal wait time - it requires a longer wait time, though one that usually meets my needs...

I wish I had a magic answer, but I think perhaps a balance of the current system and the "return pass" system would result in an equal experience (when you averaged the times all out)

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #37
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I agree that the NY Post is pretty much known as the "Gentleman's National Enquirer."

I've also got to wonder: why would the member of the "1%" admit to this??? SHe had to realize that it would cause more scrutiny, that it was likely that, once Disney got wind of the story, her private tours would be put into jeopardy.

I don't know, I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc
I agree that the NY Post is pretty much known as the "Gentleman's National Enquirer."

I've also got to wonder: why would the member of the "1%" admit to this??? SHe had to realize that it would cause more scrutiny, that it was likely that, once Disney got wind of the story, her private tours would be put into jeopardy.

I worry it will make thinfs

Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #39
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post

Plus, if she was really part of the 1%, why not pay Disney for one of their VIP guides and not skulk around trying to hide hat you are doing.

And, as I posted pictures of earlier, the quote about Small World is bogus, or at least highly exaggerated, because of the way the handicapped access is set up (plus a 2 and 1/2 hour wait for Small World just doesn't happen).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #40
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc

I worry it will make things harder for those with disabilities just because one guy is a ... jerk.

I really don't care about the rich family. If they had wanted to they could have hired a VIP tour person and cut even the wheelchair lines...

I am mad at a person with a disability who had so little regard for what repercussions this may have for others .

I am hopng Disney treats this like people who sold GACs on eBay. They went after the seller but did not make life harder for the rest of us.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
That sounds good in theory, but doesn't always work in reality.

Let me start by giving a quick view of my needs in the park.
I use a wheelchair full time, have ADHD, severe anxiety and PTSD that manifests and social phobias, an inability to regulate body temp, heart rate, or blood pressure, and a whole host of other problems. I obviously tour the parks when they are not crowded, etc (I live 6 miles away from DL, so I have some flexibility).

This is MY AVERAGE experience with Radiator Springs Racers in DCA. It does not apply to any other ride or mean that the same thing will happen to you.

My particular GAC allows me to get a "return pass" for Radiator Springs Racers that is roughly equal to the posted wait time (give or take 15 minutes). I then go somewhere close to wait for the ride. Despite what people (not you, but people in general) think, I am not riding lots of other rides while waiting for my "return pass" for Racers. I am usually resting nearby. I use a manual wheelchair I push myself, so I am not going far while waiting - I just do not have the energy to push myself too far...

So I wait the 90-120 minute average wait time for my "return pass." This has been in lieu of my waiting in the standby line, which I cannot handle. Now I enter the Fastpass line. This line, depending on how many FP people actually return and how many "return passes" were issues for people with certain GAC/needs (those are not limited in number), this line can be anywhere from 5 to 35 minutes. On average, it is about 15-20 minutes. I have already waited the length of the stand-by time, and now add on the 15-20 minutes for the Fastpass line (the ride breaks down often, so getting stuck here is not uncommon).

Once I hit the merge of the FP and standby lines (which I have essentially waited the length of both), I now am directed to the wheelchair line. This line generally is at least 20 minutes long, and I have once waited 45 minutes in this line. So now I am in line #3 for Racers.

I really do not mind getting a "return pass" as I would have no hope of making it through the mainstream queue. And since I use a wheelchair, I know that there will almost always be an extra line for me.

I just wanted to point out that at least at the major attractions, there will almost always be a wheelchair line AFTER the mainstream/standby time. Not that the current system makes it perfect at all, but I will say that the "return pass" system currently at Racers does not provide an equal wait time - it requires a longer wait time, though one that usually meets my needs...

I wish I had a magic answer, but I think perhaps a balance of the current system and the "return pass" system would result in an equal experience (when you averaged the times all out)
I think they could pretty easily come up with a formula to calculate how long on average people wait in those secondary lines, and subract that from the return time.
Nothing will help everyone exactly equally. There was a discussion here where a mother was arguing against the return pass because her autistic child could not handle the disappointment of having to leave and come back. For her child, the only solution that would prevent a meltdown was near-immediate ride access.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post

You're right. This sure doesn't sound like equal access. I had not thought out all the details of it.

Using this system at WDW - where I'm guessing there are far more guests - things could get ugly fast.

On to Plan B...

BTW, people are nuts if they think disabled people are off riding other rides during the wait time! That would have NEVER occurred to me. If anyone thinks that is even feasible, they are quite ignorant about most disabilities.

Quote:
For her child, the only solution that would prevent a meltdown was near-immediate ride access.
I would have suggested to her that Disney is not the ideal vacation spot for her son if that was the case. Having an autisic son myself, I know exactly what it was like as he was growing up. I also know that I taught him that the world was not always going to cater to him.

I believe I prepared him well for what to expect for society as he is now able to drive, hold down a full time job, and function on his own. Things are always difficult for him, but he does it. It's my opinion that parents aren't doing their children any favors by babying them because society won't.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #43
mskermit
Mouseketeer

it all makes me sick. I WISH we didn't even have to get a GAC for my daughter. My 17 year old daughter would love nothing more than to be able to stand in a line at Disney and walk all the miles of park like others do instead of being in a wheelchair, sometimes it breaks my heart I wish I could wave a magic wand and make her disability go away. People just dont realize how hard it is to be in a chair
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Plus, if she was really part of the 1%, why not pay Disney for one of their VIP guides and not skulk around trying to hide hat you are doing.
I used to work for the family that founded MCI and AirFone, cheapest people I ever met in my life. Just because the 1% have money, does no mean that they are easily parted with it.

I too have concerns that somehow when this all pans out and the facts are known (because right not there are few actual facts, everything is hearsay) that it's going to make it even more difficult for those people that do need and use GACs to get them. I'm furious that the tour guide would pander her GAC like she's accused of.
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #45
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen K View Post
I used to work for the family that founded MCI and AirFone, cheapest people I ever met in my life. Just because the 1% have money, does no mean that they are easily parted with it.

I too have concerns that somehow when this all pans out and the facts are known (because right not there are few actual facts, everything is hearsay) that it's going to make it even more difficult for those people that do need and use GACs to get them. I'm furious that the tour guide would pander her GAC like she's accused of.
i just read on CNN that Disney is actually looking into it
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: