Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
SashaFarce
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post
I think disney may need to start asking for some type of proof of a medical condition as horrible as that sounds.
Quite frankly, it's none of Disney's business why I use a mobility device. Further, who would be the person qualified to determined who is "sick enough" to use a special queue? Further, some people who can walk around on a daily basis (like my partner) can't do the level of walking that a day at Disney requires. This idea would sink like a stone, and it's aggravating to hear constantly.

Finally, the people in this article are laughable. If they wanted to take advantage of the accessible queues that ARE available, the validity of their desire aside, why not rent an ECV themselves instead of hiring someone? That's a logic fail.

Past Trips: Prior to 2013: 14 trips
Feb 2013 @ AoA Sept 2013 @ CBR Oct 2013 @ Pop
Dec 2013 @ DLR Feb 2014 @ ASMusic Apr 2014 on the Disney Dream May 2014 @ ASMovies

Upcoming Trips: Aug 2014 Oct 2014

SashaFarce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
babydovesx2
Mouseketeer

I shared this article with a co-worker of mine. I was surprised that her response was, "why pay for that when you can fake a disability with a knee brace and limping." She admitted that she had done this at other amusement parks (she has never been to WDW). She also rides around the grocery store on the scooters because she is too lazy to walk. Should have expected it since she got her doctor to get a handicap permit for her. Some people have no respect for others.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
dumbox2
Earning My Ears

i am 100% a wc user. Never has being in a chair eliminated all waits for me at DW or DL. Some rides yes i get on sooner but others i wait in most of the same que as everyone else. or on rides like haunted mansion they only let 2 wc users on at a time so you wait for them to come off before you can get on. the whole thing is just silly. but given how hard it is for most disabled to get decent jobs, good for them for finding a way to take from the stupid.
dumbox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
The original publication that ran this story is no better than the National Enquirer. I'm amazed that Fox picked up the story, it's embarrassing for them since there are no cited sources and the story is essentially inflammatory hearsay. .....

We're talking about FOX news - when did they start letting facts get in the way of a juicy inflammatory story?

Why would anyone get upset over such a ridiculous fabrication?
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
Dsnyfireman
Mouseketeer

They are not talking about Fox News!! Just a fox affiliate.
Dsnyfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnyfireman View Post
They are not talking about Fox News!! Just a fox affiliate.
It's still a ridiculous story which should not upset people.
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalcioni

It also includes many statements we all know are not true, including the wait times for IASW and the ability of most GAC's to be "front of the line" passes - or even the equivalent of a fastpass in many cases - especially if the "guide" in question is using the wheelchair entrance for rides like TSMM.

?
So true about TSMM! My son uses a wheelchair, and sometimes a GAC (but that is becoming more and more rare except for hearing issues!). When we were there in January AFTER the holiday crowds left, it was still moderately busy. The wheelchair line was longer (in minutes) than the entire standby line. And that wait is ON TOP of the wait to get to that point via either the Fast pass or standby line.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaFarce View Post
Finally, the people in this article are laughable. If they wanted to take advantage of the accessible queues that ARE available, the validity of their desire aside, why not rent an ECV themselves instead of hiring someone? That's a logic fail.
That was my first thought reading that article this morning. If you are going to stoop to that point, why not just show up with one of your spoiled little kids in a wheel chair? Then you don't need a stroller when Jr. gets tired from walking and you can live through the bliss of waiting in the alternate line for your entire trip.

I saw it on facebook and commented that they may not be helping themselves by taking somebody in a W/C and of course a dozen people popped on with their story of how somebody broke a leg or took an aunt or whatever and they all skipped every line with zero wait.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

I'd report her doctor to the DMV.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalcioni View Post
The original publication that ran this story is no better than the National Enquirer. I'm amazed that Fox picked up the story, it's embarrassing for them since there are no cited sources and the story is essentially inflammatory hearsay.

Read the original "story" and you'll see how laughable the whole thing is: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP it's all laughably silly, from an "expert" calling Fastpass a Speedpass to the inflated wait times for It's a Small World.

It also includes many statements we all know are not true, including the wait times for IASW and the ability of most GAC's to be "front of the line" passes - or even the equivalent of a fastpass in many cases - especially if the "guide" in question is using the wheelchair entrance for rides like TSMM.

Anyway, why would any "One Percenter" use this "service" with Disney offering a much better service themselves with the VIP tours?
Small World is especially laughable since I've never heard of it having 2 and 1/2 hour waits. And, the handicapped access at that attraction is often longer than going in the regular line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
That was my first thought reading that article this morning. If you are going to stoop to that point, why not just show up with one of your spoiled little kids in a wheel chair? Then you don't need a stroller when Jr. gets tired from walking and you can live through the bliss of waiting in the alternate line for your entire trip.

I saw it on facebook and commented that they may not be helping themselves by taking somebody in a W/C and of course a dozen people popped on with their story of how somebody broke a leg or took an aunt or whatever and they all skipped every line with zero wait.
A lot of it is perception.

On one trip, we got in line for Mission Space with DD, who uses a wheelchair. The posted wait time for the green version was 5 minutes and we basically kept moving until we got to the area before the preshow area. Everyone has to stop there, as the preshow only holds the number of people who will go on the next ride.
As we reached tht tea, the group ahead of us included a woman using an ECV. She took a look at my DD, and got her GAC out of her purse to show us. She said, "you need to get one of these for your daughter. It will really help you avoid waits. I didn't have to wait for this ride at all. "
I thanked her, but said we had not needed to wit since the wait was short. We actually did have a GAC for DD, but did not need to use it for that attraction.

We saw the same woman a number of times at Epcot that day and at other parks that week. She commented to us a number of times - things like "see you got the card" "really helps to have that card" or giving us a thumbs up.

So, her perception was that having a GAC helped her (and us) avoid lines and waiting. The only thing was, all the times we saw her, we had not used the GAC, and in fact, most of the places we saw her had Mainstream Lines. So, our wait was in the same line and or the same time as guests without disabilities.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

There is already a thread on this, so I am going to combine them.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

I've found this story interesting because there seems to be some gray area. The article mentioned that the woman guide has an autoimmune disorder, which I also have. She is not being hauled around as dead weight as some of the articles make it sound; she is able to serve as a real tour guide. But she is selling the perks or perceived perks of the GAC that she legitimately has for her own use. If there is no mobility impairment and the ECV is used for stamina, which is a legitimate use and need for people with autoimmune diseases, then she would have the option of parking the ECV but still using the GAC which would mean that on specific rides where there is a long wait for a handicapped ride vehicle (IASW, TSMM) she wouldn't be in those lines.

The article does make it sound as if driving up in an ECV got her special treatment. I have to assume that she drove up in an ECV with a prominently displayed GAC card that informed the cast members on what to do. Just driving up in an ECV will get you sent to the mainstreamed regular line in most situations.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
disney david
DIS Veteran

Here a follow up and just as bad reporting but Disney say they are investigating it but this one almost as bad as the other article I wonder where they find these people to give interviews. Their making it worse one person said he got a 3 day gac father showing a dr note Disney can't accept or ask for a dr note to get a gac.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...2ugf7PvqQAAiaO

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Here a follow up and just as bad reporting but Disney say they are investigating it but this one almost as bad as the other article I wonder where they find these people to give interviews. Their making it worse one person said he got a 3 day gac father showing a dr note Disney can't accept or ask for a dr note to get a gac.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...2ugf7PvqQAAiaO
I also find it odd that Disney doesn't dispute the idea that fastpasses can cost up to $3000 a day since there is no charge for them.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post

I also find it odd that Disney doesn't dispute the idea that fastpasses can cost up to $3000 a day since there is no charge for them.
Your right but I don't think Disney really wants to get into it with the post because their some many things they can correct I think they would rather focus their time on investigating to see if it true.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: