Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #76
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

That's basically what I mentioned earlier, except linked into the nextgen technology to automate it for all needed attractions. But you also need to place limitations, otherwise it still provides an advantage if you can go around and collect them at different attractions...which is why I propose you can only get one at a time, and not another one until it is used or expired - regardless of how far away it is (if the line is really 2.5 hours, you can't get one for 2.5 hours). And perhaps a smaller return window. Make it a real "virtual position" in line.
That's what all FPs should be.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #77
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
The fact that we can't find it doesn't mean the policy doesn't exist. It might be in a CM guide. A possible rule banning private guides might be buried in the fine print.

Likewise the fact that some posters said such a policy exists doesn't mean it does.

Years ago Soutwest allowed family pre-boarding and didn't offer things like EBCI. A parent was literally "renting out" her kids (BWI) so passengers could pre-board. She discovered she violated a variety of rules not commonly known.

The fact that the families were told to lie and pretend they were relatives of the guide suggests such a policy, written or otherwise, might exist.

Assuming such a rule exists enforcement might be spotty. The same person showing up a couple of times a week with a different group each time? Kind of obvious.

screamscape.com

Well put Lewisc, I totally agree.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #78
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Someone mentioned going in the exit at Haunted Mansion. That was changed with the last renovation. The line and Stretching Room are now totally accessible and guests with wheelchairs and ECVs enter the Mansion in the same way as other guests.
AFTER going thru the stretching rooms with everyone else, while other guests are using the regular boarding area, guests using ECVs and wheelchairs wait in a hallway to be directed to the exit for boarding. This is so their wheelchair or ECV will be waiting or them when they get off. Other guests board in one place and exit at another.
When was the last renovation? The time I referred to was December 2010. I know they renovated the outside queue since to add the nextgen stuff, but I don't recall the outside queue being an issue either.

As for Small World, that same day, the accessible queue was very short and we definitely got on faster than the regular queue. Obviously it varies by crowd though.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #79
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
When was the last renovation? The time I referred to was December 2010. I know they renovated the outside queue since to add the nextgen stuff, but I don't recall the outside queue being an issue either.

As for Small World, that same day, the accessible queue was very short and we definitely got on faster than the regular queue. Obviously it varies by crowd though.
The entry to the building at Hunted Mansion used to have a turnstile just as you enter the building. There was no gate to bypass that turnstile.
There was a chain across the area where the hearse is next to the regular line. When guests using ECVs or wheelchairs got to that point in line, they waited at the chain marked with a wheelchair symbol for a CM to open the chain and bring them to the exit courtyard to wait.

The turnstiles at the door were removed during or just after the nextgen stuff installation. So, that line is now totally accessible.

I'm not sure what 'same day' you are referring to, but the accessible queues definitely vary, as I mentioned with the pictures.
You never know how busy it will be when you one up to the line. There could be a situation where the wit is very long, like the last picture I posted, or it could be short. No guarantee.
At Spaceship Earth, on our last trip, we happened to come up just when they were ready to let smother group of handicapped guests in. So, our wait was short, but so was the wait in the regular line.
We've also waited an EXTRA 40 minutes for the Safari at AK when people in that line were asking if they could just leave their ECVs and join the regular line because that boarding area was sending out partly filled trams. So, again, it varies and tends to even out.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #80
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Interesting...I wouldn't have though that the turnstiles would have presented that much of a problem to bypass and still use the main entrance.

And by "same day", I meant the same day we were bypassed at HM.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #81
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Interesting...I wouldn't have though that the turnstiles would have presented that much of a problem to bypass and still use the main entrance.

And by "same day", I meant the same day we were bypassed at HM.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant the same day as my picture.

At that point, they were not letting guests bring wheelchairs or ECVs into the stretching room. We have been coming to WDW with a DD using a wheelchair since she was 3 yrs old.
It was only after the last renovation that we were allowed to come into the stretching room with her wheelchair. Since she can't walk, that meant no stretching room for us.
We did wait in the line until the hearse (sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes 10) before, then were pulled to the exit and usually waited about 15 minutes there. So, yes we disappeared, but no, we were not boarded right away.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #82
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:

At that point, they were not letting guests bring wheelchairs or ECVs into the stretching room. We have been coming to WDW with a DD using a wheelchair since she was 3 yrs old.
It was only after the last renovation that we were allowed to come into the stretching room with her wheelchair. Since she can't walk, that meant no stretching room for us.
We did wait in the line until the hearse (sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes 10) before, then were pulled to the exit and usually waited about 15 minutes there. So, yes we disappeared, but no, we were not boarded right away.
As I have never needed special access, nor anyone in my party, I'm not conscious of what is and is not available. I'm thrilled that they expanded the access. Everyone should get to enjoy all the little touches, and the expanding room is definitely one of the more charming "little touches"
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #83
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Clarification - we waited in the regular line until it reached the point of the hearse.
At the hearse, we waited 5 or more minutes for a CM to open the gate, then waited again to board.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #84
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Clarification - we waited in the regular line until it reached the point of the hearse.
At the hearse, we waited 5 or more minutes for a CM to open the gate, then waited again to board.
Ok...when we went, the line wasn't quite that long, so we were diverted almost immediately. We just had to wait because a KTTK tour was coming out. But we did miss the foyer and stretching room

Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #85
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:

I'm wondering if it wasn't so much DIRECTLY tied to the turnstiles.... but because of the accessability of the back-stage route between the Stretching room exit and the ride Exit hallway.

I remember when they were doing the work which expanded the outdoor queue, There was also some work inside which modified the hallway between the load-unload.... including removing the physical door that used to be there. I'm wondering if the door removal and any other work done would've improved the ability for mobility devices to take that route. (Both more space for them to go thru comfortably.... and maybe some additional "dressing up" so the area could meet "onstage" standards)

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #86
puppypwr68
Earning My Ears

Not everyone that uses a GAC is in a wheelchair

I have used the GAC for my son who has ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder and tics. He takes multiple medications to help control different aspects of his disorders. If it was not for the GAC my son would not be able to tolerate being in Disney. He loves going to Disney! I am so thankful that Disney is able to accommodate his needs. I know people make comments because to look at him he looks like your typical kid however they don't know the anxiety that he suffers from and how he longs to be like everyone else. Please keep in mind not all disabilities are physical.
puppypwr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #87
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
I'm wondering if it wasn't so much DIRECTLY tied to the turnstiles.... but because of the accessability of the back-stage route between the Stretching room exit and the ride Exit hallway.

I remember when they were doing the work which expanded the outdoor queue, There was also some work inside which modified the hallway between the load-unload.... including removing the physical door that used to be there. I'm wondering if the door removal and any other work done would've improved the ability for mobility devices to take that route. (Both more space for them to go thru comfortably.... and maybe some additional "dressing up" so the area could meet "onstage" standards)

The turnstile was just one part and is the first part anyone entering the front door of the mansion would come to.
Before the renovation, there was a hallway from the exit/unload area to one of the stretching rooms. Guests who could walk and stand long enough to experience the stretching room were able to leave their ECV /wheelchair parked at the unload courtyard and enter the stretching room thru a doorway in the exit hall. Once the entered that door, they were led into the stretching room (or maybe the room before the stretching room) and then followed the same path thru the stretching room and boarding area as other guests.
I have talked to people who used that access, but we never did, so I don't know if it was wheelchair accessible. All I know is everyone I talked to who used that door boarded at the regular boarding area.
As we waited to board at the exit, I saw many people go in that door, but never saw anyone come back out to the exit hallway to board at the exit.
We did ask a few times if we could go in there so DD could see the stretching room and we were told that was not possible.

I heard from a CM that renovation involved modifications to the hallway and at least one doorway as you described to make everything (not just one stretching room) accessible.

Last edited by SueM in MN; 05-17-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #88
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypwr68 View Post
I have used the GAC for my son who has ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder and tics. He takes multiple medications to help control different aspects of his disorders. If it was not for the GAC my son would not be able to tolerate being in Disney. He loves going to Disney! I am so thankful that Disney is able to accommodate his needs. I know people make comments because to look at him he looks like your typical kid however they don't know the anxiety that he suffers from and how he longs to be like everyone else. Please keep in mind not all disabilities are physical.
Yes, sometimes it is as much for the other guests' comfort as for the person with a disability.

I went on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad once with my nephew who has ADHD. I was very glad we were using Fastpasses because what he was talking about in line was making the other guests uncomfortable.
He was kind of obsessing (loudly) about how fast the train went, whether it could come off the track, whether people might be thrown out of the train and how far the train would travel (and what it would hit) if it left the track.
Not the sort of things most people want to think about when waiting in line for the attraction.
We ended up with a pretty large 'cushion ' of space between us and the guests closest to us as they tried to stay away from us.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #89
Akwafunk
Mouseketeer

A friend's mom goes to her doctor to get a note about "back problems" prior to Disney trips so she can get the family group through the disabled line...

*sigh*
Akwafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #90
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Well if the articles are all right or all wrong or part way in between, Seems Disney is officially taking it very seriously!

Disney World Scheme: Entitled Families Hire Disabled Guide to Bypass Lines, Says Report

..By Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – Wed, May 15, 2013 11:23 AM EDT....

Disney World. Photo: Getty Images. Now this is rich: Disney World is investigating news that a handful of upper-crust Manhattan moms have a pricey, secret way to get their kids to the front of the lines—and it’s not by bribing Mickey Mouse.

More on Shine: Disney Princess Makeover Sparks Outrage: Merida Petition Goes Viral

Instead, according to the New York Post, the moms pay $130 an hour to hire a disabled, “black-market” guide, who uses her position—sitting in a motorized scooter—to help entitled families gain special access to rides.

“On one hand, you can say she’s a great entrepreneur,” disability activist Kleo King, of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, told Yahoo! Shine. “On the other hand, she’s kind of pimping herself out. And it’s outrageous she would help people commit fraud.”

Though the New York Post has no on-the-record sources in its shocking report, Disney is taking the matter seriously, according to spokesperson Bryan Malenius, who told Yahoo! Shine, “We are thoroughly reviewing the situation and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of activity." He added, "It is unacceptable to abuse accommodations that were designed for guests with disabilities."
More on Yahoo!: 6 Rejected Disney Theme Park Rides

The scheme of hiring out the disabled guide was uncovered by social anthropologist Wednesday Martin, a former New York Post contributor who was conducting research for a forthcoming book, “Primates of Park Avenue,” due out in 2014.

“It’s insider knowledge that very few have and share carefully,” Martin told the Post. “So when you’re doing it, you’re affirming that you are one of the privileged insiders who has and shares this information.” You’re also getting a good deal, as VIP tours offered by Disney, which include speed passes, start at $315 an hour.

“My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” one unnamed mom bragged to the Post. “You can’t go to Disney without a tour concierge...This is how the 1 percent does Disney.”
A tour company singled out in the story as the family's guide denied using a disability to bypass lines. Both the tour company and Disney have not yet responded to Yahoo! Shine requests for comment.

But according to the park's official policy, guests using a wheelchair or motorized scooter, plus up to five members of their party, can use auxiliary entrances “intended to offer guests in wheelchairs or with trained service animals a more convenient entrance to the attraction” and are “not intended to bypass waiting lines.”

Still, the Post also reported that urban mothers have asked Divamoms website operator Lyss Stern how they might make their children appear handicapped in order to gain special disabled access. “I never understood how parents could have a clear conscience doing this,” Stern told the Post. And one parent, Matt Montesi of Atlanta, added that, after his 11-year-old with ADHD was granted a three-day Disney handicapped pass with a doctor's note, he was tempted to sell it on Craigslist. "People will pay bucks to circumvent the lines," he noted.

Yahoo forums on the topic turn up people who claim to have seen folks fake handicaps for special access. Wrote one commenter, who identified himself as a Disney employee, "There are ways that do allow you to bypass the line but I am not going to tell people because there are people who already abuse it and that pisses me and my fellow cast member off. Those people should be ashamed of themselves for doing it to. They disgust me every time I see them come through."

Using a false disability claim to skip lines is not a new trick, unfortunately. A recent Wall Street Journal story documented the trend of travelers requesting the use of complimentary wheelchairs in airports as a technique of getting pushed to the front of security lines, only to leap up and sprint to their gates once they have clearance. “We call them ‘miracles.’ They just start running with their heavy carry-ons," longtime wheelchair attendant Kenny Sanchez noted.

It’s also not unheard of at other amusement parks, apparently. King told Shine that, just the other day, she heard about someone who borrowed his grandmother’s wheelchair for his day at New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure in order to avoid waiting in queues.

“It’s outrageous. This practice is hurting people with disabilities who legitimately can’t stand in line, as the more people who do it, the more resentful people get,” King explained. “Disney World and other places can’t really ask people about their disabilities in order to curtail fraud, so they have to take people at face value. But anytime fraud happens, it hurts people who really need services.”

I just hope if this does prove to be true, I hope they figure out how to stop it fast

To take advantage of the GAC or to plainly break and misuse these rules is really a display of poor manners and a total lack of class and character.

Shame on them!
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: