Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #91
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
As for the 1%ers who are availing themselves of this service- if they are SO lazy or self-entitled that they can't be bothered to make up a touring plan and get their own fastpasses, then let them waste their money. It's theirs to waste.

There, I said it. (somebody had to go first). Kungaloosh.
HA! I think I'm ENTITLED to another drink! (it's after noon somewhere...)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #92
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I have to agree with many of the PPs. When first reading the OP I was a little taken aback. But after thinking about it I realized that the tour guide(s) really are doing nothing wrong, so long as they were entitled to the GAC in the first place. And I doubt that there are enough of them at any one time to impact the wait times of other guests, given the supposed degree of GAC abuse already rampant.

As for the 1%ers who are availing themselves of this service- if they are SO lazy or self-entitled that they can't be bothered to make up a touring plan and get their own fastpasses, then let them waste their money. It's theirs to waste.

There, I said it. (somebody had to go first). Kungaloosh.
I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #93
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
are you really saying that you don't think a physically challenged person can't be a tour guide?
Of course she can. The problem is, a GAC is not a license to be a tour guide. A legitimate tour guide would not have a "disability pass," she would have a tour guide pass/badge/ID or whatever they use. It would have nothing what so ever to do with her disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
Dream Tours posted on their FB page, in response to someone asking about the article:

Don't believe everything you read. Take a look at our website before making judgement calls based on articles that are going to be in trouble by the ADA. This article has no validity and is based on discrimination. We do many wonderful things for the special needs community.
Well, that certainly sounds like a bunch of double talk. They are not really denying it, more like justifying it and daring anyone to call them on it because of discrimination laws.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #94
dellamays
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
It did appear in the New York Post. I think the phrases "gross exaggeration" and "downright fabrication" are part of their mission statement.
Lets be honest here. In the bi-partisan site Truth in media, the NY post ranks higher than the NYTimes in factual content. Now both were low on the list but the NY Times is near the bottom in truthfulness. We have a middle class woman claiming to be a 1%, yet it turns out she's a middle classer, no where near a 1%. we have a disabled person scamming her for 130 dollars an hour to get her to the front of the line. Problem? I think not, the disabled person is happy taking wanta be 1% money and the middle class woman can go to the front of line so she can pretend she's a 1%. Class envy .
Old 05-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #95
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamays View Post
Lets be honest here. In the bi-partisan site Truth in media, the NY post ranks higher than the NYTimes in factual content. Now both were low on the list but the NY Times is near the bottom in truthfulness. We have a middle class woman claiming to be a 1%, yet it turns out she's a middle classer, no where near a 1%. we have a disabled person scamming her for 130 dollars an hour to get her to the front of the line. Problem? I think not, the disabled person is happy taking wanta be 1% money and the middle class woman can go to the front of line so she can pretend she's a 1%. Class envy .
ROTFL.

Welcome, troll.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #96
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Is this against any of Disney policies?
What would they do, ask to see a "contract" that states the disabled person is not part of their family and they hired him/her just to get them in the disabled lines? If they say "this is our friend Frank, he's traveling with us" there's nothing that can be done. The party has a disabled person with them, they're going to get to use the disabled entrances. What I don't get, is that you don't save a whole lot of time in most lines because the lines are "mainstreamed" and disabled persons wait in line with everyone else.

It seems like more trouble than it's worth to haul along an extra person just to get a guest assistance card, when if you want one that badly you can get one. If you've got that kind of money just buy a VIP tour for your family.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #97
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Thank you. That does make perfect sense. I wonder if the tour company in the article has that sort of partnership with Disney
They would have to in order to operate on site. How they interpret it is now the question.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #98
Minnies Boy Toy
Keeping an eye out for Mickey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
ROTFL.

Welcome, troll.
Co-sign.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #99
MrsJ Henry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.
Off Site- in '93-'94-'95
Disney Villas-'83-'84, Hotel Plaza 1979

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #100
Twende
Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....

From what I am reading Dream Tours caters to families with special needs adults or children. The fact that a tour guide may have been in a scooter has nothing to do with special access to attractions at Disney. In fact they most likely waited longer at places because of the scooter.

What I am questioning is why the family from NY even qualified as Special Needs so that this touring company would help them?

And who puts a Handicapped sign on their scooter?

Dream Tours states on their web site that they help you avoid lines and by that they really mean the Stand by lines. This is true as the tour companies use some kind of for lack of terms a corporate or business FastPass. With that their paid customers do avoid the STAND BY lines just like any one else who uses a FP does.

Plus their is no mention of a GAC and someone in a scooter does not normally get a GAC. GACs are for invisible disabilities. In other words when someone looks at a person using a GAC the first response would be they look normal why do they get wait in a different area?

The whole article is full of bunk!

Last edited by Twende; 05-14-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #101
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

It's the New York Post. They verify nothing. There is very little possibility of fact here.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #102
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I'm fine with it.

I assume the company primarily does what it says and tries to help people with disabilities tour Disney, it makes sense as apparently the owner's girlfriend is disabled.

I assume there are a lot of self entitled people who think people with disabilities get special treatment (even though the accommodations may or may not translate to a benefit as pp's have discussed).

If rich non-disabled family wants to hire disability touring co, who will in effect make their touring plan and help them efficiently use the parks without needing to spend their own time learning how to do it, I'm fine with that. I am sure that to the completely uninitiated it will seem like special treatment.

If disabled touring co., wants to market to the self entitled people and those tours help support their overall goal of helping people with disabilities (including employment of disabled tour guides), I'm fine with that too.

No one appears to be pretending to be disabled or otherwise deceitful or amoral.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #103
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brerrabbit View Post
Putting any discussion about the morals of this practice aside for a moment, here is what I see.

You have these 1% families who have the money to pay high dollar amounts to get what they feel is unattainable for the common folk. They would not consider for a minute doing research into WDW to find effcient touring plans, or how FP's work. They pay others for everything. So the fact that they can use this service and in their view get on rides faster then they will pay and use it.

Now those more knowledgable like the vast majority of folks on this board have the ability to dispute every facet of the article and know that other than Christmas day you will never see a 2 1/2 wait for IASW will call BS to that claim/

So I see it more as a rich, self described priviledged family paying way to much money to go to WDW. Want to bet they stayed concierge floor at the Grand Floridian? Want to bet all dinner reservations were made by a travel agent?

On the other side of the coin is the tour guide. A girl with a real disability is able to make money while doing something she probably loves, going to WDW.

So who is losing in this situation? A rich person spends to much money for a service she could get much cheaper and would probably get her on rides faster? Who cares. A girl with a disability makes a living doing something she loves, good for her! The average parkgoer? This is not slowing my plans down at all. And if they do prevent this type of thing from happening then the rich person spends more money to get the VIP service. Either the guide or the VIP service is something I will never use (unless I win the lottery I might try the VIP tour) and do not feel that it inhibits my current touring plans in any way.

So in the end it seems to be much ado about nothing.

Finally bringing back the moral aspect even if you object on that basis then are you really saying that you don't think a physically challenged person can't be a tour guide?

I think the newspaper was just looking for another story to help the common man dislike the rich.
Not in any way saying that. BUT, I do question if said disabled person is using said disability to get perks for people in an unethical way. Such as, saying that people who paid her are her family so they can get in with her GAC card. Sure, some realize you can ride faster without a GAC card but there are times it is a shorter way on, even faster than FP in some cases since you can only have so many FP at a time but GAC is unlimited. So yeah, in my opinion if a disabled tour guide is using their disability to get people access I think it's wrong. If a disabled tour guide is doing the same things an able bodied tour guide does then there is nothing wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #104
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post
Hmmm. That is interesting. Seems the article may not be as exaggerated as others are claiming.
Depends - nowhere do I see a definition of "skip the lines".

Actually, I'm thinking retiring to Florida, buying myself an annual pass, and hiring myself out as a VIP tour guide might be a sweet gig. I know how to skip lines, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
Of course she can. The problem is, a GAC is not a license to be a tour guide. A legitimate tour guide would not have a "disability pass," she would have a tour guide pass/badge/ID or whatever they use. It would have nothing what so ever to do with her disability.
But if a tour guide can spin it as an advantage to her clients, they're less likely to give her a hard time for being disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post

Well, that certainly sounds like a bunch of double talk. They are not really denying it, more like justifying it and daring anyone to call them on it because of discrimination laws.
I dunno... it sounded fine to me.

Don't believe everything you read. Fair enough.

Check us out before jumping to conclusions. We do good things! Okay.

They're not "daring anyone to call them on it", they're saying the author of the article is likely to be in trouble with the ADA, presumably due to the implication that disabled tour guides are only there to cheat the system and not because they might happen to enjoy the job.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #105
mom2mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Do tour guides normally ride all rides with their customers??

I would have no problem having a tour guide that was disabled but I would have a problem using their disabllity to "benefit" my family. I agree that honestly isn't huring the ones paying for the service or the other families in the SB line. But I do believe the families with a disabled person in their party are being hurt by this family taking up a spot their family could use on a ride making them have to wait for the next one when those spots are limited.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: