Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #76
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
At $275.00-$315.00 an hour, even "middle income" families can afford them - it's all in how you prioritize. You could give up next year's vacation, tell the kids there's no more music lessons, eat nothing but counter service and pack porridge in your suitcase. We make these kind of cost-benefit decisions every day.
Don't forget your rice cooker...
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #77
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Seems like they promote the fact that you'll skip lines https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...3?id=190040561
I could make the same claim with judicious use of Fastpass and good timing. In fact, my husband once complimented me on the fact that we always "skip the lines".

He doesn't mean that there are lines and we jump past them, he means that I know how to tour efficiently.

I just spent all weekend hand selling to people. Believe me, I can easily convince you that you've had an exclusive special experience with me and my product. It's especially easy when you WANT to believe it, which people do, whenever they're forking over money.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #78
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #79
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Well, morally wrong would be lying and faking a disability in order to do this. Someone with a legit disability offering their services isn't in any way morally wrong. If they were kidnapping disabled folks and forcing them to do this, then it would be wrong. Of course, no one is doing that.
Fully agree with you on this.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #80
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I use my GAC when we have friends here visiting. We don't charge them. I legitimately need mine AND rarely use it as well.

I don't think touring with your friends/family is abuse.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #81
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Most lines at WDW are mainstreamed, and the only people who get go to the front of the line are Make-a-Wish kids (and even then, not always).

Sometimes the existing provisions for disabilities result in a shorter wait, and sometimes they don't. It completely depends on the conditions on the ground at the time when you happen to visit a particular attraction.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #82
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
buying black market Make a Wish buttons in the past to use for their healthy child.
This is the first time I've heard this one and I'm sickened.

The fact that another human even thought up such a scam is frightening. People caught doing this, or even selling these, should be prosecuted for fraud. Their parenting should also be called under question and investigated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
I was pretty sure the terms and conditions of our annual pass include not using them to "run a business in the parks".
A good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw213 View Post
I find all these inquiries about whether or not it is against Disney policy to do this a bit unsettling.
I agree. And the fact that some people are dwelling on it makes me wonder if they are trying to get the go ahead to pursue such services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
I'm beginning to think this article is a gross exaggeration if not a downright fabrication based on a conversation a "reporter" with some "entitled mom" who thought she was getting a great deal or using her money to buck the system. 2 1/2 hours for IASW??? Really???
I think the same thing. I've never seen that kind of wait at IASW. And the wording of the article is clearly inflammatory.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #83
ConvenientTruth
Mouseketeer

First I want to say that this is brilliant...

We have a person who is disabled finding a job she most likely loves and she is able to use her disability to her advantage. Well Done. If she does the tours for 8-10 hours a day 3 times a week...that some damn good money to go to Disney.

We have a group of people who are willing to pay a premium to have this tour guide so they can "skip lines"...they drop 1300 for 10 hours...good for them. They are not doing anything against Disney Rules, they are not hurting anyone (its not like they are pool hopping, or god forbid, parking at a resort they are not staying at). Who cares if they are taking advantage of the system, or have the money to do so....it doesn't effect you or I....let the wealthy have their fun.

In the end, why does it matter?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #84
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm beginning to think this article is a gross exaggeration if not a downright fabrication based on a conversation a "reporter" with some "entitled mom" who thought she was getting a great deal or using her money to buck the system. 2 1/2 hours for IASW??? Really???
It did appear in the New York Post. I think the phrases "gross exaggeration" and "downright fabrication" are part of their mission statement.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #85
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post

Sometimes the existing provisions for disabilities result in a shorter wait, and sometimes they don't. It completely depends on the conditions on the ground at the time when you happen to visit a particular attraction.
THIS is what I think most people don't understand. I didn't read most of this thread because I have a feeling I'd be pretty offended by most of it, but wait times are NOT always shorter. The one that comes to mind most readily is POTC. Almost every time, we wait just as long as the regular line, it's just off to the side where there are benches to sit on so we don't have to physically stand in the line. For guests waiting in the regular line and who don't know anything about how GAC works, it LOOKS like we're being brought straight to the front of the line. This is not the case.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #86
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Seems like they promote the fact that you'll skip lines https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...3?id=190040561
Hmmm. That is interesting. Seems the article may not be as exaggerated as others are claiming.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #87
MrsJ Henry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly!!!
Off Site- in '93-'94-'95
Disney Villas-'83-'84, Hotel Plaza 1979

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #88
jecskc
DIS Veteran

You can't always "cut" to the front of the line if you are handicapped. And sometimes you even have to wait longer. So I don't know how true this story is. There were only a couple of times where my handicap access was actually a "perk". Of course, there were some ride I couldn't go on because of the handicap, but often we waited longer for the convenience of not walking far to get on the ride. I call BS on this story. Just my two cents from a handicap perspective.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #89
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I have to agree with many of the PPs. When first reading the OP I was a little taken aback. But after thinking about it I realized that the tour guide(s) really are doing nothing wrong, so long as they were entitled to the GAC in the first place. And I doubt that there are enough of them at any one time to impact the wait times of other guests, given the supposed degree of GAC abuse already rampant.

As for the 1%ers who are availing themselves of this service- if they are SO lazy or self-entitled that they can't be bothered to make up a touring plan and get their own fastpasses, then let them waste their money. It's theirs to waste.

There, I said it. (somebody had to go first). Kungaloosh.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #90
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: