Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
What could Disney do with them if they found this to be true?

if Dream Tours provides the service as described, is it against any of Disney policy?

Does Disney prohibit outside companies to act as paid tour guides within their parks?

I am just curious on what recourse Disney has with this
Actually, Drem Tours Florida looks legitimate - they have a very complete website and their mission statement is to provide services so people with disabilities are ble to go o WDW - looking at their photo album shows some very disabled individuals, who they are helping go on trips.
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/photo-gallery/
Anyone without a disability using their services is kind of like people who were buying black market Make a Wish buttons in the past to use for their healthy child.
Its pretty obvious from their mission statement that they are trying to provide experiences or people with disabilities.
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/abo...ons-and-goals/

WHAT IS DREAM TOURS?
Dream Tours is a travel resource whose mission is to extend the unforgettable Dream Tours Vacation experience to as many individuals with disabilities and their families as possible. Dream Tours accomplishes this mission through a program that provides premier disability information for travelers, links to resources, networking opportunities, marketing and public relations on disability related subjects.

OUR GOALS
PROGRAM GOALS  DREAMS
To dramatically enhance the self-esteem of every traveler, inspiring and enabling them to realize their full potential as members of society
To recognize that social interaction is at the heart of the human experience for all people
To emphasize community inclusion for individuals with disabilities, fostering partnerships to provide access to the same social, cultural and recreational facilities and activities enjoyed by all citizens
To provide enriching activities that are meant to challenge everyones own personal physical abilities and at the same time allow them to socialize with their peers in a safe environment
To create a mechanism for sustainability, businesses, partnerships and grants, successfully continuing the program
To provide resources and supports to families vacationing with family members who have a disability.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there anything within Disney's policies that prohibits this?

Does Disney have a rule that forbids outside tour guides? Would this fall under that?

If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?

I imagine that people have been paying for years to gain advantages like this and Disney has allowed it to take place.
Sigh.

Yeah. Cuz this is almost the same as using a late FP before 3/8/12.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What could Disney do with them if they found this to be true?

if Dream Tours provides the service as described, is it against any of Disney policy?

Does Disney prohibit outside companies to act as paid tour guides within their parks?

I am just curious on what recourse Disney has with this
As disgusting as it is, Disney has no recourse, since they don't ask for proof of disability.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #34
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.
She should have asked me.

I would have told her for free that if you're going to Disney when the wait for Small World is 2 1/2 hours, you're going to Disney at the wrong time.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #35
ses1230
DIS Veteran

From the article:

"Ryan Clement runs Dream Tours Florida with girlfriend Jacie Christiano, whom the rich Manhattan mom indicated was her family’s guide.

A working phone number for Christiano couldn’t be found, and Clement refused to put The Post through to her. A message left on Facebook was not immediately returned by Christiano.

Clement denied that his gal pal uses her disability to bypass lines. He said she has an auto-immune disorder and acknowledged that she uses a scooter on the job."

So the owner's girlfriend is the disabled person that is being hired??

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Sigh.

Yeah. Cuz this is almost the same as using a late FP before 3/8/12.
Who said anything about FPs?

I just am trying to figure out if what that is reported from the NY Post (a sensational "paper" to say the least) is against Disney rules.

Does Disney have any policies in place that would prohibit this and that they could take any action against anyone that did this
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
From the article:

"Ryan Clement runs Dream Tours Florida with girlfriend Jacie Christiano, whom the rich Manhattan mom indicated was her family’s guide.

A working phone number for Christiano couldn’t be found, and Clement refused to put The Post through to her. A message left on Facebook was not immediately returned by Christiano.

Clement denied that his gal pal uses her disability to bypass lines. He said she has an auto-immune disorder and acknowledged that she uses a scooter on the job."

So the owner's girlfriend is the disabled person that is being hired??
Here is their 'Meet the Team' information from their website:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/abo...meet-our-team/

And, here's a link to their photo page of customers:
- according to their website, very disabled people are thir target customers, including people in group homes who would not be otherwise able to go.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who said anything about FPs?

I just am trying to figure out if what that is reported from the NY Post (a sensational "paper" to say the least) is against Disney rules.

Does Disney have any policies in place that would prohibit this and that they could take any action against anyone that did this
My apologies if I read too much into this comment:

Quote:
If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #39
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6packdoesdisney View Post
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me one bit.
There are people of the me, me, me mindset who believe their wants and needs come before those of anyone else.
They will say and do anything to appease their need to feel superior and above everyone else.
They are the misfits of society and even worse they raise children who will become the same way.
These are the types of people who raise criminals, in the end.
Similar to welfare fraud, same mindset.
Such a sad state of affairs.
They ruin things for those who honestly need extra help because of their disabilities.
Where is the like button when you need it. It's the same people who's kids do no wrong too. And sadly, these people are multiplying at an alarming rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6packdoesdisney View Post
Yeah, looked at it after I posted...oops....still about the same, just add in these people REALLY believe they are superior to others.
These are the type who are above all because of their wealth and undoubtedly can and will do anything to feed their superiority complex.
Hopefully, the IRS takes a really hard look at their tax returns.
Disgusting.
What goes around comes around...not soon enough for these types!
Would not want to be them at the pearly gates, for sure!
Don't feel bad. What you posted is still accurate. We are becoming overrun with the people who have a me first mentality.

Last edited by AngiTN; 05-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #40
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
She should have asked me.

I would have told her for free that if you're going to Disney when the wait for Small World is 2 1/2 hours, you're going to Disney at the wrong time.
Seriously. Our first trip was over Thanksgiving week and our wait wasn't close to that.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #41
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

SMH, that is just ridiculous!!

Most of the lines are streamlined any more, only a handful are left that you need to use an alternate entrance, and many times you end up waiting LONGER!!!

Case and point, Spaceship Earth!! There will be NO LINE outside for the average person, but you use the handicapped entrance and you can wait anywhere from 15-30 minutes!

These people should just use FP, seriously!!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #42
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Here is their 'Meet the Team' information from their website:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/abo...meet-our-team/

And, here's a link to their photo page of customers:
- according to their website, very disabled people are thir target customers, including people in group homes who would not be otherwise able to go.
Maybe Dream Tours needs to make an official statement distancing themselves from the NYP article and clarifying that they are not "black market".

Actually, if I was the owner of Dream Tours, and if I was actually on the up-and-up, I'd be consulting a lawyer right now.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #43
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Maybe Dream Tours needs to make an official statement distancing themselves from the NYP article and clarifying that they are not "black market".

Actually, if I was the owner of Dream Tours, and if I was actually on the up-and-up, I'd be consulting a lawyer right now.
Me too

Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #44
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe overall that you save time doing this tactic.

I've used a GAC and in most instances it's a slower process than the regular lines. I won't say there aren't certain attractions where it might be quicker, but overall it's actually much slower.

Also, if you use a scooter or wheelchair you don't need a GAC to use alternate entrances for attractions. The handicap vehicle gets you to an alternate entrance, not the GAC.

I believe there are many misconceptions about all of this at Disney.

If you use fastpass that will get you into the attractions quicker.
That's what I thought as well!!! I know that there are some very special circumstances where you might not have to wait in line, but that would be pretty much a Make a Wish situation or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.
I've been to WDW more than 30 times, at all times of year. Well, not on Christmas day or July 4th, but I'm not stupid!!! I have seen IASW have a wait time of 40 mins just one time. Otherwise? Less than 15!! I can't imagine it ever having a wait time of 2.5 hrs. And to say that someone waited one min?? Just not so. As already noted, the ECV/handicap line is the same as the other line...and it doesn't always mean that you get right on!!!

This story just boggles my mind. I can't imagine someone actually telling people this. There are so many incorrect things being said, or that can at least be questioned.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
dlove28
Missin' WDW

I agree that there are soulless people out there but I am not sure I agree with the outrage on this. Surely the woman from the article is someone of high means but low class. She is the type of person that thinks they are owed an entitlement and clearly lacks character.

But as the PP said - look at it from a different light. It doesn't mean the entire practice is bad. A person with a disability is making good use of a challenging situation. They have a competitive advantage and are using it (putting aside the argument on just how much better a GAC is over proper planning and fast passes).

If you hired a tour guide, showed up that day and it was someone in a EVC would you decline their services? If you had an excellent time with them and a great day, would you rehire them next time or would you pass because of the GAC? If you say pass, that's getting into a discrimination grey area.

Someone is offering you a cheaper rate and potentially faster lines,why wouldn't you hire them? Should someone with a disABILITY not be allowed to be a tour guide?

The jerks from the article are not placing an ad on Craigslist looking for a disabled person to exploit. They are hiring a professional that has held themselves out for hire.

I think the real issue here should be the sense of entitlement exhibited by some, not that handicapped people are being given jobs.

Perhaps they ask for references not because they're shady, but they are tired of negative reactions to of people who cannot separate a legitimate business that does not go against any policy from some of the people that hire them and then brag to the Post that they exploited someone.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: