Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
tammilynne
Mouseketeer
 
tammilynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 282

can't wait to read all about it!!
__________________
me DH DS(13) DS (10)

June 2006 All Star Movies - Star Wars weekends
July 2011 All Star Movies/Hard Rock Hotel- Disney/Universal trip
June 2013 Coronado Springs -Star Wars Weekends
tammilynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!
 
MissPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 779

Hi Missy I'm in!!
__________________
MissPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran
 
IheartDDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,299

Joining! Can't wait to hear about it. I followed along a bit on FB.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!
 
Pixel Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 429


Wow, we have a lot of people joining us already!
Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Hi there, I'm Franklin, the other half of this trip report. I will be providing the photos on this journey. They wouldn't be much without a story behind them. No one can bring them to life more than Missy.
__________________
Franklin, 32 and Missy, 31 -- Check us out on Facebook!
Current TR: Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013

Past: Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Nermel9
DIS Veteran
 
Nermel9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,555

I'm in, although I've been doing awful keeping up with your other TR's, lol! I just haven't been on the DIS much lately, but I'm looking forward to this!
__________________

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!


Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Wow, we have a lot of people joining us already!
Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Hi there, I'm Franklin, the other half of this trip report. I will be providing the photos on this journey. They wouldn't be much without a story behind them. No one can bring them to life more than Missy.
Hey Franklin, I'm glad you are chiming in because I have a question for you! I told my DH about how you bought a new tripod that would fit in the lockers at MK, and he was wondering if you could tell him what tripod that was? He wants to bring one on our MNSSHP night this year to try to get some good photos of the second parade. Thanks! Always love seeing your photos in Missy's awesome TR's!!
__________________
Me DH DS (3)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!
 
Pixel Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Hey Franklin, I'm glad you are chiming in because I have a question for you! I told my DH about how you bought a new tripod that would fit in the lockers at MK, and he was wondering if you could tell him what tripod that was? He wants to bring one on our MNSSHP night this year to try to get some good photos of the second parade. Thanks! Always love seeing your photos in Missy's awesome TR's!!
My criteria for a "Disney tripod" () was to have one that would reach the tallest when fully extended, while being able to fit into a MK locker, folded up. This was mainly for the fireworks photos. I needed to get above everyone's head.

I am using the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs. My previous tripod was also a Manfrotto, so I decided to stay with the same brand for compatibility of the heads and quick release plates.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

These are the fancy kind so, you also need to get a tripod head to go along with the legs. I used the Manfrotto MAMH055M0-Q2 for Boo to You. It's a ball head. Basically, you loosen one lever and you can move it in any direction. During the parade, I set it so it was a bit loose so I can move it around. But tight enough that, when I let go, it stayed in place. I really liked that set up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

When you store them in the lockers, you will have to separate the head from the legs. The legs will fit diagonally in the locker (from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner.) Then place the head in there too. There's still plenty of room for other stuff. MK only has one size of the lockers. I think Epcot has 2 sizes. The larger of the two is about the same size as MK. And if you park hop, hang on to the locker receipt. You only pay for the locker once per day. Then, the next park it's only about $5 (I can't remember exactly) which you get back when you return the key.

Yes, this setup is expensive. Manfrotto is like an entry/mid level pro gear. So yes, it can get even more expensive. Tripods are one of those, you get what you pay for. I have found that cheaper tripods (especially cheap travel size ones) are very unstable and not durable at all. Even a small kick to one of the legs could bend it. There are a lot of people walking around for the party. It's also pretty dark, even with the lights on around the park. Someone is going to bump into your tripod. That is a certainty. I would rather pay for quality once, rather than keep paying for a new cheap tripod. A good tripod will outlast your camera.

With that said, I understand that not all budgets can afford it. The cheaper tripods tend to have the heads built in. What you want to look for in the specifications is the "folded length". My tripod legs that fit diagonally is 21.5 inches. You would want to stay shorter than that. 22 inches may fit, but I cannot guarantee that. I also found that these cheaper tripods could not extend that high. They were usually eye level or below. That would make it difficult for my fireworks photos.

So this was a more in depth post than I expected. I hope this was helpful for you guys and anyone else that comes across this.
__________________
Franklin, 32 and Missy, 31 -- Check us out on Facebook!
Current TR: Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013

Past: Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!
 
khertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 4,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
My criteria for a "Disney tripod" () was to have one that would reach the tallest when fully extended, while being able to fit into a MK locker, folded up. This was mainly for the fireworks photos. I needed to get above everyone's head.

I am using the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs. My previous tripod was also a Manfrotto, so I decided to stay with the same brand for compatibility of the heads and quick release plates.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

These are the fancy kind so, you also need to get a tripod head to go along with the legs. I used the Manfrotto MAMH055M0-Q2 for Boo to You. It's a ball head. Basically, you loosen one lever and you can move it in any direction. During the parade, I set it so it was a bit loose so I can move it around. But tight enough that, when I let go, it stayed in place. I really liked that set up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

When you store them in the lockers, you will have to separate the head from the legs. The legs will fit diagonally in the locker (from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner.) Then place the head in there too. There's still plenty of room for other stuff. MK only has one size of the lockers. I think Epcot has 2 sizes. The larger of the two is about the same size as MK. And if you park hop, hang on to the locker receipt. You only pay for the locker once per day. Then, the next park it's only about $5 (I can't remember exactly) which you get back when you return the key.

Yes, this setup is expensive. Manfrotto is like an entry/mid level pro gear. So yes, it can get even more expensive. Tripods are one of those, you get what you pay for. I have found that cheaper tripods (especially cheap travel size ones) are very unstable and not durable at all. Even a small kick to one of the legs could bend it. There are a lot of people walking around for the party. It's also pretty dark, even with the lights on around the park. Someone is going to bump into your tripod. That is a certainty. I would rather pay for quality once, rather than keep paying for a new cheap tripod. A good tripod will outlast your camera.

With that said, I understand that not all budgets can afford it. The cheaper tripods tend to have the heads built in. What you want to look for in the specifications is the "folded length". My tripod legs that fit diagonally is 21.5 inches. You would want to stay shorter than that. 22 inches may fit, but I cannot guarantee that. I also found that these cheaper tripods could not extend that high. They were usually eye level or below. That would make it difficult for my fireworks photos.

So this was a more in depth post than I expected. I hope this was helpful for you guys and anyone else that comes across this.
Thanks for the quick reply with the info, I'll send it along to my DH.
__________________
Me DH DS (3)
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!
 
DDuck4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
My criteria for a "Disney tripod" () was to have one that would reach the tallest when fully extended, while being able to fit into a MK locker, folded up. This was mainly for the fireworks photos. I needed to get above everyone's head.

I am using the Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs. My previous tripod was also a Manfrotto, so I decided to stay with the same brand for compatibility of the heads and quick release plates.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

These are the fancy kind so, you also need to get a tripod head to go along with the legs. I used the Manfrotto MAMH055M0-Q2 for Boo to You. It's a ball head. Basically, you loosen one lever and you can move it in any direction. During the parade, I set it so it was a bit loose so I can move it around. But tight enough that, when I let go, it stayed in place. I really liked that set up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

When you store them in the lockers, you will have to separate the head from the legs. The legs will fit diagonally in the locker (from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner.) Then place the head in there too. There's still plenty of room for other stuff. MK only has one size of the lockers. I think Epcot has 2 sizes. The larger of the two is about the same size as MK. And if you park hop, hang on to the locker receipt. You only pay for the locker once per day. Then, the next park it's only about $5 (I can't remember exactly) which you get back when you return the key.

Yes, this setup is expensive. Manfrotto is like an entry/mid level pro gear. So yes, it can get even more expensive. Tripods are one of those, you get what you pay for. I have found that cheaper tripods (especially cheap travel size ones) are very unstable and not durable at all. Even a small kick to one of the legs could bend it. There are a lot of people walking around for the party. It's also pretty dark, even with the lights on around the park. Someone is going to bump into your tripod. That is a certainty. I would rather pay for quality once, rather than keep paying for a new cheap tripod. A good tripod will outlast your camera.

With that said, I understand that not all budgets can afford it. The cheaper tripods tend to have the heads built in. What you want to look for in the specifications is the "folded length". My tripod legs that fit diagonally is 21.5 inches. You would want to stay shorter than that. 22 inches may fit, but I cannot guarantee that. I also found that these cheaper tripods could not extend that high. They were usually eye level or below. That would make it difficult for my fireworks photos.

So this was a more in depth post than I expected. I hope this was helpful for you guys and anyone else that comes across this.
Appreciate the in depth response. Just what I was interested in. I'm glad you mentioned the ball head you used as well, DW was supposed to ask about it but when it comes to this she leaves it up to me.

That's not a bad price after the rebate. I know I'm not satisfied with my current tripod as it's a cheap one I purchased because I felt like I needed one when I first got my camera not that I knew what I was getting or really needed. Now I feel like I need to get something that will work well for me and not break the bank in the entry/mid-level range. Just looking at what works for others and their recommendations before making the jump. Thanks for the help!
__________________
WDW
1989 - June - Royal Plaza, 1993 - February - Offsite, 1999 - August - Offsite, 2003 - March - All Star Music, 2007 - October - Port Orleans French Quarter (Disneymoon)
2009 - December - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2010 - July/August - Wyndham Cypress Palms TR
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR / "I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
starousse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,054

Can't wait to read your reviews.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reston, Va.
Posts: 6,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Wow three at once!! Well you know I am in for your next adventure
Yay! I'm so glad you're here Kristy. All these TRs will give us BOTH something to do to get us to October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post


I'm so in!

Dee

PS- Love that first picture where even Meeko got the memo to wear grey!
Glad you're here! And you're right, we did coordinate that meet and greet rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAmongPrinces View Post
I'm here! I'm looking forward to hearing all about this trip. Again. In written form

And Frank-a-lin, as always, I'm here for your awesome pictures!
Welcome aboard Kelley, can't wait until you start your PTR for December!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephmom51383 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
, hope you enjoy the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicaca View Post
I am here! Can't wait to hear all of the details!
Hi Danica, thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyluvr View Post
I'm in and so excited to see and hear all about your latest trip. Your TR's rock!!
Awww thanks, you're making me blush. I hope you enjoy this one as much as the others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
Yay!!! I'm here!!! I love how it looks like Ariel on your shirt is about to kiss Meeko.
aboard Bridget! Ariel does look ready to cozy up to Meeko, doesn't she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfan77 View Post
Joining in!
Yay! Glad to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I'm here too!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
In for your TR!
Glad to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblesMom View Post
Yay! I can't wait to read more!!!!
I can't wait to share the story with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2E View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Just found this and looking forward to hearing all about it.
Scott, thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammilynne View Post
can't wait to read all about it!!
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Hi Missy I'm in!!
Glad to have you here, we're practically neighbors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Joining! Can't wait to hear about it. I followed along a bit on FB.
Yay, glad to see you here Danielle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Wow, we have a lot of people joining us already!
Thanks for stopping by, everyone!

Hi there, I'm Franklin, the other half of this trip report. I will be providing the photos on this journey. They wouldn't be much without a story behind them. No one can bring them to life more than Missy.
Awww, thanks honey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm in, although I've been doing awful keeping up with your other TR's, lol! I just haven't been on the DIS much lately, but I'm looking forward to this!
Jen! I have your super-fast TR bookmarked so I can catch up. I've been terrible at keeping up with all the TRs I've been reading. I need to do a better job with my Dis-ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
Appreciate the in depth response. Just what I was interested in. I'm glad you mentioned the ball head you used as well, DW was supposed to ask about it but when it comes to this she leaves it up to me.

That's not a bad price after the rebate. I know I'm not satisfied with my current tripod as it's a cheap one I purchased because I felt like I needed one when I first got my camera not that I knew what I was getting or really needed. Now I feel like I need to get something that will work well for me and not break the bank in the entry/mid-level range. Just looking at what works for others and their recommendations before making the jump. Thanks for the help!
Hi Dustin! I have nothing to add about tripods, but I'm glad to finally meet Kristy's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
Can't wait to read your reviews.
Lots of fun to share, and the first chapter is coming up!
__________________
Missy and Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 10/13 Past TR: 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reston, Va.
Posts: 6,310

Greetings friends! With so many of you onboard, it’s time to get the story underway. It begins on a chilly May morning. A very, very early morning, actually. Our flight was scheduled to take off at 7 a.m., which meant we were leaving our house at 4:30. Franklin, Meghan and I live in a farther-out suburb, while Laura lives closer to the city (and the airport). So us suburb-dwellers drove to Laura’s apartment and we all took a cab to the airport.

We got to the airport at 5:20 and by 5:45, we’d checked our bags and gotten through security. JetBlue’s gates are in a kind of annex at the airport and the food options that early have been very hit or miss. So I’d packed bagels and cream cheese for all of us.

We grabbed seats at the gate.





And as the sun peeked its head out...



… it was time to board our plane!



Who’s excited to be on their way to Disney? We are, we are!



We had a very uneventful flight (the best kind). Franklin dozed, then took some in-the-air photos.





I caught up on some TV I’d missed during the week (Smash and The Good Wife, both excellent). And before we knew it, we’d landed!

Onto the faux-norail!





Why can’t the airports at home have these kind of ads? It would make travelling so much happier.



Having safely made it to the B terminal at MCO, we saw these beautiful new desks. They definitely weren’t there in January!



They sent us to the Magic Kingdom resorts line and there was no one else in it! I was a little excited about this fact.



You know what first in line means... first-row seats baby!





And soon, David, our least-talkative Magical Express driver ever, got us on the road.



It was overcast and a little drizzly, how would that affect Franklin’s pictures of the Disney arch? Only time would tell.



And as we turned onto the highway,



the video started!



Now, I always cry at the montage at the beginning of the video when the parents surprise their kids with trips to Disney. Franklin laughed at me, and Meghan and Laura both thought it was funny. I don’t think they believed me when I said lots of things at Disney makes me cry. But back to the video... It really hits all the things to get you primed for Disney.



Walt!



Sigh, my castle.



Okay, a little bit of a bummer here. Tea cups were under refurbishment during our trip!



New Fantasyland!

And then comes the best sight of all!



We’re here, we’re in the bubble!



Confession time. After such a wonderful trip to Boardwalk in January, I was worried I’d really miss the Epcot resort area on this trip. But as soon as I saw this sign...



… I remembered how much I love the whole MK area. It was going to be a great trip!
__________________
Missy and Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 10/13 Past TR: 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reston, Va.
Posts: 6,310

As per usual, we’d be the last stop on the DME tour. First up? The Polynesian.





Next was the Grand Floridian.



Franklin and I couldn’t believe how much progress they had made on the DVC building in just a couple of months! They just released pictures of the model villas about a month ago and they are stunning!



Houston, we have a problem. This is quite the Disney transportation traffic jam.



One last stop before ours, Wilderness Lodge. It’s a truly gorgeous resort.



I’d never noticed these topiaries before, how cute are they?



And finally, the sight we’d all been waiting for.



We’d be staying at Bay Lake Tower.



But we checked in at the Contemporary.



There was just one other couple left on the bus other than our foursome. So we were all guided right to the front desk. Ani, the cast member checking us in was awesome. She got all of Key to the World cards set up. And when I asked if any of my requests for the villa had been met, she said “Every last one. North Tower. Even numbered room and high floor.”

I was grinning ear to ear but when Meghan and Laura asked what that meant, I just said, “You’ll see.”

As we finished the check-in process (and got Laura and Meghan’s tickets put on their KTTW cards), Franklin hopped in a cab to go get the rental car. Why didn’t we just rent a car on the airport? Well, about 10 days before the trip, someone on the Transportation board posted that National’s car rental prices were really low if you picked up at the Shades of Green Resort. So I gave it a shot. Turns out, we could get a full-sized rental car for five days (picking up at SOG and dropping off at MCO) for $32 total! Crazy, right? Franklin made quick work of picking up the car.





It was a fully loaded Chevy Malibu.





While he was gone, we stashed all the carry-ons with Bell Services. And before we could do much exploring at the resort, Franklin was back to pick us up. It was a good thing because we were all hungry, time to get some lunch!

We headed for Downtown Disney and, since it was a Saturday, we circled for a while -- trying to find a parking spot. We finally found one and made our way in.



We were on a mission, a sandwich mission.



The line was looooooong. But if you’ve ever been to Earl of Sandwich, you know that the long line moves pretty quickly. And soon, we had one of these babies sitting in front of each of us.



Franklin had the chipotle chicken and avocado sandwich.



I had the ham and swiss sandwich.



Laura had the Hawaiian BBQ sandwich.



And Meghan had the berry almond chicken salad.



You can’t stop at DTD and not do a little bit of shopping, right?

We stopped into Pin Traders first.



I was so excited to find Beach Club pins! I collect a pin from each resort I stay at, but they didn’t have any BC pins when we stayed there last October. The CM at Pin Traders said they had just gotten them in, lucky me!



And you know that three girls can’t walk past Basin and NOT go in.



I bought one of the customizable facial masks, I can’t wait to try it out!

We hopped in the car and made one, quick stop before heading back to the resort.



We needed groceries! With a full kitchen in the one-bedroom villa, we’d be cooking breakfast in most mornings. Plus we wanted beers, sodas and snacks.

That's where we'll leave off for now. But I promise, some big park fun is coming up next!
__________________
Missy and Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 10/13 Past TR: 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!
 
DDuck4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 185

Figured since I was here for the tripod info I might as well stick around and follow along.

What an awesome deal on the rental car that is just an incredible price. Certainly worth the cab ride over to pick it up.

Love Earl of Sandwich!

and not sure how comfortable I am saying this but nice touch on your nails.
__________________
WDW
1989 - June - Royal Plaza, 1993 - February - Offsite, 1999 - August - Offsite, 2003 - March - All Star Music, 2007 - October - Port Orleans French Quarter (Disneymoon)
2009 - December - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2010 - July/August - Wyndham Cypress Palms TR
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR / "I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
Missyrose
DIS Veteran
 
Missyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Reston, Va.
Posts: 6,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuck4Life View Post
Figured since I was here for the tripod info I might as well stick around and follow along.

What an awesome deal on the rental car that is just an incredible price. Certainly worth the cab ride over to pick it up.

Love Earl of Sandwich!

and not sure how comfortable I am saying this but nice touch on your nails.

We're glad you decided to stick around! The rental car deal made the Type A planner in me giddy. The rental car deals we had found up until that point had been really expensive for five days (the best was $138 -- which is more than what we paid for a whole week in January!). So I felt like I had beaten the game with the SOG rate.

We were late to the Earl of Sandwich game, but we've made up for it. It's a must-do lunch for us now on most trips. So tasty!
__________________
Missy and Franklin (Pixel Dust) | Facebook: World of Yesterday, Tomorrow & Fantasy | Current TR: 10/13 Past TR: 1/13, 5/13, 10/12, 3/12 , 10/11, 10/10
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: