Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #1471
herb102211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaL View Post
Hello! I just registered on this forum specifically to say thank you, thank you, thank you for the posts mentioning to try again! I was so disappointed after calling first thing this morning and being told there was nothing for the Oct 13 Buddy Valastro Sweet Sunday. After reading the posts here around noon time I tried again and was able to reserve our spot!! This will be my first food & wine visit and I'm super excited now! Thanks again!!
Glad everything worked out for you!! DH and I will be attending the Sweet Sundays on 10/13 too (after being told several times this morning that it was sold out).

See you there!

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club , 12/14- AoA 3/15-BC, 5/15-YC
Me (28) DH (29)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #1472
jaygalterio
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmie3377 View Post
Yes, that is what I was told this a.m.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Yep. There will probably be someone with a clipboard at the gate to the hidden pavilion. You check in there while the GA people line up. They will let you thru to the "waiting room."

At the waiting room you pick up your various stuff. Then give your name to the hosts inside the waiting room.

Somewhere along the line someone will ask for a picture ID to confirm you. And then give you a wristband to let you in to the special seating.
jaygalterio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #1473
sasmmb
Mouseketeer

OK, 3rd time was not a charm. Still said that Parisian Breakfast was sold out for Nov. 2. She said the only event she still showed openings for on that date was the cheese seminar. Ah well, more money for booths I suppose.
1974 - 1st trip - off site; Summer 76 - off site; Winter 76 - Golf Resort (now Shades of Green); 86, 88, 92 - off site; years blur together but AS Music, AS Sports, WL, DL, CBR, BW Villas, 1 night GF Concierge, Poly, YC, Swan, AS Sports, CBR (Dec 31, 1999), WL, AKL, CS, Poly, April 07 Swan, POFQ and Pop Century; Sept 07 FW Cabins; Oct 07 Dolphin ; Oct 08 off-site; Oct 09 BWV; Oct 10 SSR; Feb 11 GF; Nov 11 AKL/BWV; Jun 12 off-site; Nov 12 Pop Century; Nov 13 BWV; Feb 14 CBR and CS; May 14 OKW; Oct 14 Dolphin and BWV

DCL - Inaugural Alaska May 2011 (Wonder); West. Carrib. May 2012 (Fantasy); Eastbound Transatlantic May 2014 (Magic)

Married at the Disney Wedding Pavilion 1998
sasmmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #1474
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygalterio View Post

Yep. There will probably be someone with a clipboard at the gate to the hidden pavilion. You check in there while the GA people line up. They will let you thru to the "waiting room."

At the waiting room you pick up your various stuff. Then give your name to the hosts inside the waiting room.

Somewhere along the line someone will ask for a picture ID to confirm you. And then give you a wristband to let you in to the special seating.
Cool, thanks. Where is the pavilion located?
And what is the stuff you have to pick up? I'm intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

meryll83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #1475
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Hmmm...when I booked the deminars early on Aug 9, I was told that there wasn't a culinary demo at 3pm on Nov 3. That was disappointing, since the schedule says it's Chef TJ. Tooling around the booking tool today, I see that there IS a demo that day, that time, and it even has (or had) availability. Booked it!

And, I was able to get all my confirmation numbers during the call I made to confirm that deminar was really happening.

For the first time ever, I took the "after call" survey. Was kind to the CM that helped me, and then I went out to the website they give you at the end of the survey for additional comments and gave them some insight into my lack of love for the overall process this year.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #1476
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Thanks for your tips, jaygalterio!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorrison View Post
THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME LAST YEAR!!! I was LIVID and we din't get what we wanted when I finally got someone on the phone.

I am sorry.
So you feel my pain!! Thanks!!! Frustrating, but I'm over it... mostly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacats View Post
For those of you wondering about 3d Dessert Party general admission, we did it last year, and it was fine (were hoping to do it again this year, but it's not being offered the one weekend we're there). We got there about half an hour early, and were able to get right into the building - no waiting outside in the bad weather or on line - but they did keep us in a huge waiting area until exactly start time. We were about halfway back in the crowd, so when the doors opened we had to wait for the folks in front of us to enter, but even though it was crowded it was very orderly. We went past the stage and the sweet seats to a large area of tables, found a table, put our sweaters over 2 chairs to show they were taken, and started to eat. We'd often get up one at a time to get food, but if we happened to be up at the same time, the sweaters showed we were sitting there (I have no idea if the sweater thing is a no-no, but there were quite a few people using clothes, bags, etc to mark seats as taken). The tables were large - ours was for 6 or 8, i think - so sometimes roving parties would come sit with us, but mostly we were on our own. There seemed to be enough tables for everyone - I never saw the seats all full. Long story short, we loved the party and would definitely do it again, but I don't feel the need to pay for the sweet seats unless you want some of the extra "perks" (like different alcohol or cheese or whatever they offer that's not in GA) - reserved seating was definitely not necessary to find a nice relaxing table.
Glad to hear this account - thx!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
There was a post (not on this thread) awhile back from someone who used a merchandise bag to "save" a general admission seat, and people removed the bag from the seat and put it on the floor when the table was empty.

Those of us who have been attending these events for many years agreed that while it took a bit of nerve to move people's stuff, it also took some to save seats in this fashion, as general admission seats are ultimately not meant to be reserved or "taken." I would think that if someone takes your seats while you are up and leave the table empty, you couldn't appeal to Disney employees to ask them to get out of "your" seats. Just a heads up in that direction.
I do understand that this is the rule, but it seems ridiculous to me. The extra $20 or so gets you a reserved table, and means you don't have to wait in line -- that's enough of a benefit -- akin to a F! dining pkg. Without that extra $20 you have to wait in line and make a mad dash for a seat. Once you get it, what's the harm in keeping it? Not the WHOLE TABLE, of course, but just the seat.

We'll obviously follow whatever the rules are, but this strikes me as silly.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1477
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I do understand that this is the rule, but it seems ridiculous to me. The extra $20 or so gets you a reserved table, and means you don't have to wait in line -- that's enough of a benefit -- akin to a F! dining pkg. Without that extra $20 you have to wait in line and make a mad dash for a seat. Once you get it, what's the harm in keeping it? Not the WHOLE TABLE, of course, but just the seat.

We'll obviously follow whatever the rules are, but this strikes me as silly.
You are signing up for open seating, and that's what open seating is. Really, nobody will do anything about guests holding a table. But if they all desert that table at the same time, the table is up for grabs.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-13-2013 at 05:22 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #1478
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
You are signing up for open seating, and that's what open seating is. Really, nobody will do anything about guests holding a table. But if they all desert that table at the same time, the table is up for grabs.
I guess I don't see the benefit to anyone of "open seating" done this way, rather than people just grabbing a seat when they get in. There are many events like this outside of WDW -- where some seats are reserved, some are first come first served on the day. And you pay a premium for reserved. Nothing dictates that those seats need to be "open" in the way WDW appears to do this. I understand it's what they're going for, for some reason, I just don't see the benefit.

And they describe these as "Reserved" seating and "Standard" seating -- they certainly don't describe them or label them as "Open" -- or describe what that means here. At least this is the nomenclature for the Scotland: Land of Food & Drink event.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1479
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It's always been open seating and I've been going to these events for many years. Sorry, but the seat is not yours. If you all get up and leave the table, you risk losing it. This is why I am buying a seat this year as it is practically impossible for a single person to hold a chair. I've got a friend coming, and we could have taken turns at an open seating table, but we just went for the reserved seats instead.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #1480
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGeek1971 View Post
That is really good advice. What we do, is stake out a table, and then make sure someone is always there. This works best with a party of more than two, but we have made it work when it was only the two of us. What we do is take turns heading out on "foraging runs." One or more party members head to specific stations, brings back enough for the table to share, and then take turns leaving/staying. It has worked well for us. Good luck out there! If anyone wants to join us, my husband and I will be a twosome for the Party of the Senses on Saturday, 10/26. We could meet up before the event, grab a table, and take turns saving seats. Just send me a private message!
And this is exactly why I shelled out the extra cash for reserved seating. Husband and I are going to the event together as a couple and want to be able to spend our time together - looking at the selections, talking with the chefs and the winemakers, distillers, etc.

That is a big part of the enjoyment for us. It would not be anywhere near as interesting if one of us had to stay at the table while the other one darted around picking up food and drink.

We did do PFTS back in 2004 when there was no special seating and we managed ok but did not spend any time sitting. In fact, I think they mostly had standing tables.

Will let everyone know what I really think of reserved seating after we try it out for the first time on 10/26!
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse; Jul 14 - CSR; Oct '14 POFQ/CSR
ashleyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #1481
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
It's always been open seating and I've been going to these events for many years. Sorry, but the seat is not yours. If you all get up and leave the table, you risk losing it. This is why I am buying a seat this year as it is practically impossible for a single person to hold a chair. I've got a friend coming, and we could have taken turns at an open seating table, but we just went for the reserved seats instead.
I fully understand that, as I said. All I've been saying is that my personal opinion is that this is an unnecessary construct - and one that I've not found to be adopted at other events outside WDW. As DH would say, suboptimal setup, IMHO.

I would have been happy to pay the extra to get the reserved seat, but at 7am yesterday a CM told me they couldn't book me. Then by 8:45am or so when I was finally able to get through again it was sold out. Then no reserved available today.

I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless -- just sharing an opinion about the way they do this.

Last edited by MickeyMinnieMom; 08-13-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #1482
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Now that the mad rush to book stuff is pretty much over, this thread will calm down a little until 9/27 give or take a day or two.

The appeal of F&W to me at any rate, is the World Showcase walk about with lots of food and wine and beer. The other events are more of a distraction to me, but I am more of an NFL tailgate kind of guy anyway. I love the party atmosphere. I am anticipating another good time.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #1483
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe View Post
Now that the mad rush to book stuff is pretty much over, this thread will calm down a little until 9/27 give or take a day or two.

The appeal of F&W to me at any rate, is the World Showcase walk about with lots of food and wine and beer. The other events are more of a distraction to me, but I am more of an NFL tailgate kind of guy anyway. I love the party atmosphere. I am anticipating another good time.
I'm with you! Even after all of this, I'm mostly looking forward to wandering around and sampling things at the booths!

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #1484
funnybunny921
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxRebo View Post
Dis_Yoda started this thread to keep track of who is signed up for what events: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3156540

might help you find other people that are signed up for the same ones as you
Thanks! That is what I was looking for.

Can't wait for our next half ... this year in DL!
funnybunny921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #1485
Arielle71
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaL View Post
Hello! I just registered on this forum specifically to say thank you, thank you, thank you for the posts mentioning to try again! I was so disappointed after calling first thing this morning and being told there was nothing for the Oct 13 Buddy Valastro Sweet Sunday. After reading the posts here around noon time I tried again and was able to reserve our spot!! This will be my first food & wine visit and I'm super excited now! Thanks again!!
Great ...so at least 3 of us fromthis tread will be assisting!
Arielle71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: