Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #406
ResortFan
Mouseketeer

Lots of great info...can't wait to start planning more now!
ResortFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #407
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

So now it looks like we are just missing this list for Culinary Adventures in Signature Dining. That is what I'm waiting on before I make my final selections for what I'm going to try for.
Dis_Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #408
toomuchtv
Earning My Ears

People with experience...what are the chances that Bryan & Michael Voltaggio would also sign their 2 year old cookbook while they're there? DH & I can't afford the $200+ for the seminar, but I would loooooooooove to meet them.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #409
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtv View Post
People with experience...what are the chances that Bryan & Michael Voltaggio would also sign their 2 year old cookbook while they're there? DH & I can't afford the $200+ for the seminar, but I would loooooooooove to meet them.
Generally, the chefs do book signings after the seminars. The key is to get to EPCOT right away in the morning, go to the festival center, and get your wristband. That's kind of like a "fast pass" for the signing - all those with wristbands (in my experience) will get their books signed and they have a disney cast member who will take a picture with your camera with the chefs during the signing. If you don't have a wristband, you aren't guaranteed to get your book signed. Similarly, even if you go to the seminar, you aren't guaranteed to get your book signed. The wrist bands are key!

Also, as a tip, we pre buy the books from amazon and bring the books with us - much cheaper than buying at Disney!

SarahInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #410
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

So disappointed that Robert Irvine is the week after we leave! Was really hoping we'd get to see him. I didn't get up early enough 2 years ago and his kitchen memories was sold out. We did run into him at Rose and Crown on our last day which was pretty cool. Oh we'll, maybe next year.

Can't wait to see the deminar details, mixology for me, beer for the boyfriend, and food for us both. We'll be there Oct 16-26 so we'll have plenty to choose from.

Any opinions on the grand mariner shake taste indulge? That's something the both of us agree on out of the more expensive stuff, but want to be sure it's worth it.

I'm afraid to do any of the more expensive experiences because I don't eat beef (or lamb or any red meat) so I'm afraid since menus aren't given in advance. Neither of us prefer wine.

Definitely going to do the 3d dessert party. Not sure if I should upgrade to sweet seats. Again, any opinions?
~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report

Last edited by marsh0013; 07-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.
marsh0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #411
donnawine
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
For those that do this every year, what is the best time to go? I would assume not first week or last week. I will be by myself. I've never done that before, but my daughter will be in school and it's her senior year so not missing school. Plus she will want me to ride rides with her instead of doing the festival. Plus she will criticize me if I get a few beers. This way I can go during the week, when I assume the crowds are a bit less. Is that correct? I will likely stay only 1, maybe 2 nights.
My mom & I have weekday passes so I'm only there on weekdays. Its not crazy crowded like I assume it is on weekends so its quite nice. The FWF is my FAVORITE time of year in Disney! We normally only do "walk-on rides" during the festival since eating & drinking is our main priority
I think you'd have a great time by yourself. The atmosphere in Epcot during the festival is very nice - everyone is so friendly asking each other "Where'd you get that dish? Is it good? OMG that drink looks fantastic! Where can I get it?"
My mom went by herself one night (I know! Without me! ) and had a great time relaxing and people watching.
donnawine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #412
LizLemonade
Earning My Ears

I am so excited that the schedule is (mostly) out!!

A couple of questions for those who have been, as this is my friend's and my first time. I keep reading on Disney Food Blog that the French Regional Lunch (Frunch) is the best thing at FAWF. But when I read past reviews, I'm nervous about the food they're serving. I'll try anything when it comes to flavor combinations and fruits/vegetables/grain/dairy, but I'm picky when it comes to proteins. (I eat very little seafood and am not crazy about uncommon meats. I'm a poultry/beef/pork kind of girl.) What is it about the the Frunch that makes it so special? The speakers and atmosphere, or the food? It makes me nervous to gamble that amount of money on a meal I may not want to eat.

We're also thinking about doing the Mexican Tequila Lunch, the Italian Food & Wine Lunch (the one at Via Napoli), the Hibachi sake dinner (yay, new!), and Party for the Senses. Anyone have any advice on those? Worth it, not worth it? Also potentially the Grand Marnier event, but it seems to get mixed reviews. Man, are these all expensive. But it's why we're taking this trip, so it is what it is!

Finally, the cooking demos and signings. I know we're supposed to go to the desk first thing in the morning for a schedule and wristbands, but do they release the names of the chefs and details ahead of time, or only that day? The way my itinerary is looking now, we'll have one afternoon/dinner for kiosk food and one for a couple of demos. Not that it really matters, but I'd love to know in advance which will be which!

Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #413
toomuchtv
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahInMN View Post
Generally, the chefs do book signings after the seminars. The key is to get to EPCOT right away in the morning, go to the festival center, and get your wristband. That's kind of like a "fast pass" for the signing - all those with wristbands (in my experience) will get their books signed and they have a disney cast member who will take a picture with your camera with the chefs during the signing. If you don't have a wristband, you aren't guaranteed to get your book signed. Similarly, even if you go to the seminar, you aren't guaranteed to get your book signed. The wrist bands are key!

Also, as a tip, we pre buy the books from amazon and bring the books with us - much cheaper than buying at Disney!
Thanks so much for the info. Now I'm just trying to figure out if it will all work. That's the day we're planning to go to Animal Kingdom, and we have reservations at Yak&Yeti, which is one of DH's favorites. We do have the parkhopper, so it could still be done. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes, I guess!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #414
dahirsh
DIS Veteran

was there an early booking day for AP etc last year? I can't recall and not have an AP etc I'm wondering if anything will even be available for the general public as far as the deminars.

April 1978 Offsite April 1979 Offsite Dec 1999/Jan 2000 All Star Movies May 2002 All Star Sports Oct 2003 All Star Movies June 2006 All Star Sports
October 2007 Pop Century January 2009 Pop Century October 2011 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century October 2013 Pop Century
dahirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #415
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

Where is the detail of the seminars, signature dinners, etc? When I click the links a few posts above, I just get taken to a blog that has a bunch of generic info, nothing specific.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #416
Kellyh123
DIS Veteran

Can you book food and wine special events online?

Just wanted to know if you can book the food and wine special events online or if you have to call.
Thanks
Kellyh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #417
Brandon moore
Earning My Ears

Ohh.. i was waiting for this to happen. I have heard from my friends about the festival, wanted to participate last time, but couldn't. excited!!!
Brandon moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #418
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizLemonade View Post
Finally, the cooking demos and signings. I know we're supposed to go to the desk first thing in the morning for a schedule and wristbands, but do they release the names of the chefs and details ahead of time, or only that day? The way my itinerary is looking now, we'll have one afternoon/dinner for kiosk food and one for a couple of demos. Not that it really matters, but I'd love to know in advance which will be which!

Thanks for any advice!
Disney should release the official schedule in the next couple weeks, possibly just before reservations begin. The official info usually includes a list of the daily deminars including the chef or restaurant and the type of food if known, such as fish, meat, savory etc.

For the folks down during the week of 10/14, keep an eye out for the Lasseter Winery demos. Although last year it was listed as hosted by Nancy Lasseter, I attended one last year, and not only did John show up, he pretty much ran the demo along with his wife.

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #419
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
Where is the detail of the seminars, signature dinners, etc? When I click the links a few posts above, I just get taken to a blog that has a bunch of generic info, nothing specific.
not sure which link you went to, but this one has pretty much all of the info that is available (dates, costs, etc.) for pretty much all the special events:
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013-e...pecial-events/

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #420
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahirsh View Post
was there an early booking day for AP etc last year? I can't recall and not have an AP etc I'm wondering if anything will even be available for the general public as far as the deminars.
according to this link: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013-e...emonstrations/

Booking begins on August 13, 2013. Booking opens for Tables in Wonderland members, Annual Passholders, Disney Vacation Club members, and Golden Oak residents on August 9, 2013.

however, I think that is just for the Culinary Demos, Beverage Seminars, and Mixology Seminars - not sure if that goes for the special events too.

Also, the discounts that they get ($2 off the price) are only for weekday demos

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: