Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #376
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr-ray View Post
Hi, Everyone!! Like you all, I am anxiously awaiting the release of more information in the coming weeks!

One thing my DH and I have started talking about are the $10-$15 seminars that they offer in the Festival Center.

I saw in my googling efforts that these typically run about an hour, but I'm wondering if they are kid friendly? We will have our two littles in tow.

Thanks! :D
They are not very child friendly.

For the food demonstrations, you will be expected to buy a ticket for the children, regardless of their age, if you want them to sit with you in the demonstration area. They won't be allowed inside without the ticket. According to one very irate poster from a year or so ago, they will also not allow parents to leave little kids outside the fenced area if someone is not with them. I think this person expected that they would sit beside the fence (which isn't very tall), and the kids would play on the floor just outside the fence, and they were told they couldn't do that. That's not an option with an infant anyway.

They did have the coloring table for the beverage seminars. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a ticket to those for anyone under age 21. If they are too little to sit away from you and color (I see you have a 1 year old) that is probably out for you, or at least one of you. I don't recall ever seeing anyone bring an infant into the beverage seminars. I think underage guests are not allowed to stay in the seminar area for those at all.

If your children are with you at the food seminars you can get the food for them (if they want it) but obviously not the wine. There is no substitute beverage offered other than water.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 07-18-2013 at 04:06 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #377
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
According to one very irate poster from a year or so ago, they will also not allow parents to leave little kids outside the fenced area if someone is not with them. I think this person expected that they would sit beside the fence (which isn't very tall), and the kids would play on the floor just outside the fence, and they were told they couldn't do that. That's not an option with an infant anyway.

Just when I think I have seen it all... And when this kid disappeared it would have been Disney's fault!

Sounds like Vegas, parents sticking the kids in a corner while the gamble. (I actually found some kids in a corner, went and found security who told me what the deal was...bizarre!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #378
pmdeve
DIS Veteran

When will the deminars be announced?
pmdeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #379
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am guessing that this year, if you are so inclined, you will also be able to tap and pay with your room key (or your Magic Band if they're working by then).
totally hoping we can get MBs by this time. This would so nice and easy.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #380
tr-ray
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They are not very child friendly.

For the food demonstrations, you will be expected to buy a ticket for the children, regardless of their age, if you want them to sit with you in the demonstration area. They won't be allowed inside without the ticket. According to one very irate poster from a year or so ago, they will also not allow parents to leave little kids outside the fenced area if someone is not with them. I think this person expected that they would sit beside the fence (which isn't very tall), and the kids would play on the floor just outside the fence, and they were told they couldn't do that. That's not an option with an infant anyway.

They did have the coloring table for the beverage seminars. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a ticket to those for anyone under age 21. If they are too little to sit away from you and color (I see you have a 1 year old) that is probably out for you, or at least one of you. I don't recall ever seeing anyone bring an infant into the beverage seminars. I think underage guests are not allowed to stay in the seminar area for those at all.

If your children are with you at the food seminars you can get the food for them (if they want it) but obviously not the wine. There is no substitute beverage offered other than water.
Thanks for the heads up - I appreciate it! We'll save it for a trip sans kids!

10/2013 -- BCV! ♥ 10/2011 -- Pop! ♥ 5/2011 -- AKL ♥ 12/2010 -- Pop! ♥ 2/2009 -- POP! ♥ 12/2007 -- CBR ♥ 12/2000 -- BC ♥ 4/1997 -- Off-Site For High School ♪Music♪ Days ♥

tr-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #381
OrangeKnickers
Mouseketeer

I'm brand new to the boards (first post) so I hope that I'm posting this correctly. My first trip to Disney World will be in October and this thread makes me so excited about the Festival! I can't wait.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #382
princesspooh323
Mouseketeer

I will be going down for a conference, and I was wondering if they give you recipes for the food. It would be nice to sample some of the food for dinner, but I also need to make sure that I get reinbursed.
Animal Kingdom Lodge- Kidani Village/ Swan October 2013, Coronado Springs/Beach Club Villas/ Pop Century June & July 2013, Pop Century/Bay Lake Towers Aug 2012, Polynesian/Caribbean Beach Aug 2011, All Star Music/Port Orleans French Quarter June 2009, Wyndam Lake Buena Vista Resort August 2002, Many offsite stays pre 2002

princesspooh323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #383
marsh0013
i want to drive the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspooh323 View Post
I will be going down for a conference, and I was wondering if they give you recipes for the food. It would be nice to sample some of the food for dinner, but I also need to make sure that I get reinbursed.
Receipts yes you get a receipt from each booth. (You did mean receipt not recipe, right? guessing from the line about getting reimbursed). They do tear it when you pick up your food or drink just to show that you got what you ordered.

~Yacht Club June 2014~Coronado December 2013~BWV October 2013~BCV April 2013~ASSp, BCV, BWV Oct/Nov 2012~AKV & BWV May 2012~ASSp & BWV October 2011~Pop Century June 2011~BWV & POFQ February 2011~SSR November 2010~Yacht Club CL & BWV May 2010~BWI Club Level October 2009~Swan June 2009~Pop Century March 2009~Pop Century November 2008~Pop Century August 2008~Pop Century Apr/May 2008~Celebration November 2007~Celebration September 2007~POLYNESIAN August 2007~Celebration November 20, 2006~10 or so trips growing up offsite (grandparent's house)~
i love the 50's prime time cafe!

June 2009 BDay Solo Dining Report Mar 2009 Solo Dining Report
Nov 2008 Solo Dining Report Nov 2008 Solo Trip to Pop
Family Trip Dining Report, August 2008 Family Trip to Pop Report, Aug 13-20
Solo Deluxe Dining, Apr/May 2008 Solo Pop Apr 30-May 7 Trip Report
marsh0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #384
FrecklesNYC
Earning My Ears

Hi all,

This will be our first trip to the FAWF and we're so pumped! I'm sure others have asked, but I didn't see the answer in the thread: do we know when the details will all officially be released? I know I'm not the only one in this camp, but I'm struggling with trying to plan the rest of my ADRs and trip details without knowing exactly what's happening when - the FAWF is the big priority for this trip, but we want to enjoy the rest of the resort as well. Since the reservations open on August 13th, how much advance time do they generally give us to do the figuring?

While I'm here... any random tips for a first-timer? We're in Orlando for a week, so will try to get to the kiosks on a weekday rather than weekend, but it seems like so many of the special events happen on the weekends, no? I'm struggling with making an itinerary that will include those events but also not have us doing Epcot on a Saturday. Also, are there some weekends during the festival that are more crowded than others? We'll be there from November 1-10.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #385
EPCOT is a verb
Former Long-time lurkers
I remember reading something on the DIS about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKnickers View Post
I'm brand new to the boards (first post) so I hope that I'm posting this correctly. My first trip to Disney World will be in October and this thread makes me so excited about the Festival! I can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrecklesNYC View Post
Hi all,

This will be our first trip to the FAWF and we're so pumped! I'm sure others have asked, but I didn't see the answer in the thread: do we know when the details will all officially be released? I know I'm not the only one in this camp, but I'm struggling with trying to plan the rest of my ADRs and trip details without knowing exactly what's happening when - the FAWF is the big priority for this trip, but we want to enjoy the rest of the resort as well. Since the reservations open on August 13th, how much advance time do they generally give us to do the figuring?

While I'm here... any random tips for a first-timer? We're in Orlando for a week, so will try to get to the kiosks on a weekday rather than weekend, but it seems like so many of the special events happen on the weekends, no? I'm struggling with making an itinerary that will include those events but also not have us doing Epcot on a Saturday. Also, are there some weekends during the festival that are more crowded than others? We'll be there from November 1-10.

Thanks for any help!!
Welcome to the DIS! We have done Food and Wine each of the past two years and are looking forward to another trip in October. We love going on a weekday and enjoy the low crowds and short lines.

We generally have not done seminars; considering whether we want to take in anything "extra" this year.

I am looking forward to some food booth favorites. Greek griddled cheese and Irish fisherman's pie. Mmmmm!
EPCOT is a verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #386
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

Flying Fish Wine Dinners

If anyone is interested, Disney Food Blog posted a list of the Flying Fish Wine Dinners today.

I'm hoping this means other special events, etc will be released in the next few days!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #387
emilymad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahInMN View Post
If anyone is interested, Disney Food Blog posted a list of the Flying Fish Wine Dinners today.

I'm hoping this means other special events, etc will be released in the next few days!
We happen to already have an ADR at Flying Fish on the night of one of the wine dinners. How does this effect the regular diners? Should I try to rebook my ADR for another night?
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #388
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymad View Post
We happen to already have an ADR at Flying Fish on the night of one of the wine dinners. How does this effect the regular diners? Should I try to rebook my ADR for another night?
No reason to change your ADR. We've attended a few different Flying Fish wine dinners and they are held in the back of restaurant towards one side where there is a small, slightly private dining area. In fact we'll be attending again this year, so maybe we'll be there on the same night as you are.

Last edited by SamSam; 07-25-2013 at 07:31 PM.
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #389
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
when the details will all officially be released?
Special events to be booked on the 13th will be released to TIW members at the yearly special event this Saturday, July 27. It will be everywhere right after that.

Deminars - you probably won't see those until no sooner than a week before the booking date, maybe closer to the booking date than that.

Full booth menus - it'll be another week or so and maybe longer to get the prices.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #390
WaltsMartini
Mouseketeer

Links to Reviews of the Cheapie Seminars?

Thanks for all the helpful info here!

Can anyone tell me where to find reviews of the cheapie seminars (the $14 - $15 ones?) If not, can anyone tell me the typical seminars they have and how long they last? We'd like to go to some specialty events, but don't went to spend the $70+ that most of the events cost.
“Walt Disney is a thing, an image that people have ...I drink and I smoke and there are a lot of other things I do that don’t fit that image. But that image stands for something, and you don’t have to explain to people what it means.” Walt Disney

Say hi to me on Twitter at WaltsMartini for Disney Happy Hour at any hour!
WaltsMartini is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: