Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #2341
nifferearly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohCorner71 View Post
Has anyone attended the Mexico Tequila Lunch this year?? We're going to our first one next week and I was curious how people are liking it this year...
I went for the first time this year and my group enjoyed it. Confirmed that I don't really care for tequila but it was very interesting to learn about it and the presenter was entertaining. Food was very good. I think this was worth the price to do once.
nifferearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #2342
nifferearly
Mouseketeer

Robert Burns Supper great, PFTS horrible

My husband and I went to the Robert Burns Supper on Thurs. This event was wonderful! My husband is a big Scotch drinker but I don't like it. It was well worth $125 even without drinking the Scotch (hubby happily took mine). Food was extremely high quality and I think the filet mignon was the best I've ever had, at any restaurant. Entertainment was excellent too. It wasn't quite sold out, but I really hope Disney brings this back next year.

I decided to spend my annual bonus on all the F & W things I'd always wanted to try. I also did PFTS and 3D Dessert. Both were big letdowns. The Dessert party was good for the "savory" items and the drinks. But the desserts were a huge disappointment. They certainly weren't the stars of the evening. Mass produced and not very good - reminded me of cruise ship buffet desserts. Highlight was flambé donut with ice cream - but it was just a fancy donut. Overall, I think we got $55 worth from the drinks and other food but I probably won't do it again.

The PFTS was a huge letdown. It was bad enough I had to stand in a mob for an hour before the dessert party that cost $55. It is absolutely ridiculous that Disney makes people stand packed in like sardines for an event that we paid $145 for! We arrived an hour early so we could get a table and were very near the front of the line. There were very few tables for the "cheap" seats and we didn't get one. It was very difficult and uncomfortable to drink and eat standing for 2+ hours (after we'd already been standing in line for an hour). I was surprised at the lack of food offerings. We were full and the food was high quality, but there weren't nearly as many options as I expected for $145. And we were looking forward to trying the bacon ice cream, but there were at least 100 people waiting in line for it towards the end of the night when we were ready for dessert. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about how much I spent for 4 of us to attend this. We could've had a wonderful, relaxing meal at a Signature restaurant for far less (and my husband wouldn't have been cranky after getting hit by someone in a scooter!).
nifferearly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #2343
Kat73
Mouseketeer

Question about the F&W festival merchandise. If we're going to be there during race weekend, are they going to be out of some things? With it being the last weekend and all. I'm in the process of moving and would like to get something cute for the new kitchen I saw some of the merch on the interwebs somewhere, but didn't see any pricing…. anyone have ideas?

Pre-Thanksgiving 1989 Sept 11 2001 POFQ May 2002 CBR May 2003 Poly May 2004 Pop & CR Dec. 2005 POFQ & Poly First Solo trip-Feb. 2009 Girl's Trip Sept 2009 SSR F&W Oct. 2010 Pop F&W Half Marathon Nov. 2013
Kat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #2344
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohCorner71
Has anyone attended the Mexico Tequila Lunch this year?? We're going to our first one next week and I was curious how people are liking it this year...
We did it and enjoyed it very much. The food was all good and fun to taste tequila with someone explaining the differences.

We had someone at our table who has attended this event each year and he said it keeps getting better

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #2345
luckyfinfarmer
Earning My Ears

Follow-up Concert and PFTS

We had an amazing time at the PFTS. Thought I'd follow up with the answer to my question since it wasn't easy to find online or even on property!
We checked in and got our wristbands just before 5pm at the entrance to the PFTS between Cananda and UK. They were already there with a podium and cast members and there was no wait. We then headed over to the concert, showed our wristbands and were walked to excellent reserved seats for PFTS guests - for the 5:30 concert.

For the record, the crowds at Epcot were large but it wasn't as bad as we thought it might be. There were long lines for food booths. If I had the choice, I'd wait until Sunday to attend, as the crowds were 1/10 the size the next night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfinfarmer View Post
. Where at the World Showplace do you check in to get a wrist band before the concert? And starting at what time do you need to do that to get seated at the concert?

And didn't mean to confuse anyone about 38 special- I meant this coming weekend!
luckyfinfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #2346
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueg View Post
We has reserve seating for our first try at PFTS. I was stunned at the disorganization of check-in. We arrived early to find no sign directing us where to go. The CMs were overwhelmed. When we finally got into the right line, we stood for 20 minutes while ONE CM checked in all reserved seating. She eventually got some helpers to put on wrist bands.
I know we didn't spring for Wine View, but I thought that reserved seating would have kept us from feeling like cattle.
The food was good, not great. For over $300 a couple, we expected more and having done it once, we will not return. Just one more disappointment in a snake-bit trip.
We were there last Saturday as well and didn't find it disorganized at all. We checked in righr away, got our wristbands, went out and watched off-Kilter and the drunken purple shirt people. We did wait in line inside for about 15 minutes but spent the time talking with other people in line.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and drink. We were seated right next to the Wine view people. Really liked the Beef Short Ribs, the Venison Loin, the Shrimp Ceviche. Non-favorites included the mushroom risotto (it was cold), and the roasted pigs head barbecue (just flavorless).

Looking at the menu I see how many things we missed. There's just so much to take in that it's hard to get to everything!
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse
ashleyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2347
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrm View Post
We were there last Saturday as well and didn't find it disorganized at all. We checked in righr away, got our wristbands, went out and watched off-Kilter and the drunken purple shirt people. We did wait in line inside for about 15 minutes but spent the time talking with other people in line.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and drink. We were seated right next to the Wine view people. Really liked the Beef Short Ribs, the Venison Loin, the Shrimp Ceviche. Non-favorites included the mushroom risotto (it was cold), and the roasted pigs head barbecue (just flavorless).

Looking at the menu I see how many things we missed. There's just so much to take in that it's hard to get to everything!
One of the things I have learned is that I have to take the time to read the menu early so I can find what I want. Did well this year. Only missed one desert and honestly if I had shoved that in my system I would have paid for it......

I had a great time. I probably won't do next year, I just booked my DVC stay for the very first week (assuming they stick to the same schedule) That way I can use this year's AP which expires 10/2 or so....
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #2348
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat73 View Post
Question about the F&W festival merchandise. If we're going to be there during race weekend, are they going to be out of some things? With it being the last weekend and all. I'm in the process of moving and would like to get something cute for the new kitchen I saw some of the merch on the interwebs somewhere, but didn't see any pricing…. anyone have ideas?
Last year they were out of some merchandise items, but still had a good selection and they were on sale.
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #2349
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you wanted the bacon ice cream without standing in line, you had to get it first, without waiting for what you would think of as "dessert time" (I learned this years ago with PFTS...do it backwards. Get the must have desserts. Then toward the end of the night when everyone else is in line for dessert, you can just walk up and get the must-have savory items without waiting for those.)

I can't imagine them having "too few options." I did not get to everything and I didn't repeat anything either. But then there isn't much I won't eat.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #2350
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansstitch View Post
Hi everyone! DH and I love the food and wine festival, and somewhat sadly, our trip has already come and gone! We are expecting and I had to forego the lovely wine tasting this time around. We are beginning to plan for next year, but we will have our baby girl along with us. I've seen young kids in the deminars, but we have not yet done any of the special event lunches or dinners. We would really like to try out a few, but not knowing what they are like, ie, ease of stepping out of the room if needed, attitude of hosts toward even well behaved children, etc, we aren't sure what we may do. Have any of you known of attendees with young kids at such events? Of course, I would not take her if she were a fussy baby.
Thanks!
These events are not intended for children. That said, there are a few instances of persons bringing children, even infants, to signature events/special events. They DO charge for each person present regardless of their age or whether they will be eating.

I believe they charge in order to keep the events "adult" and discourage the presence of very young children.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #2351
Kat73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchisholm View Post
Last year they were out of some merchandise items, but still had a good selection and they were on sale.
Thanks!!

Pre-Thanksgiving 1989 Sept 11 2001 POFQ May 2002 CBR May 2003 Poly May 2004 Pop & CR Dec. 2005 POFQ & Poly First Solo trip-Feb. 2009 Girl's Trip Sept 2009 SSR F&W Oct. 2010 Pop F&W Half Marathon Nov. 2013
Kat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #2352
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerMomO View Post
I can't seem to find any reviews this year on new French Regional lunch. Has anyone gone? Are there some reviews buried in this thread? I am starting to have second thoughts about my reservation since an old 2011 review showed lamb and seafood as two of the courses and I don't like either. I thought I remember they don't really accommodate food preferences in these lunches and you get what they serve.
The menu for tomorrow includes a first course of pate and main course of beef. We stopped in to the restaurant tonight since neither of us eat red meat or pork. The manager went back and talked to the chef, who has noted these limitations and assured us we will have something to eat.
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #2353
Tamar
If you're not going to snort, what's the point of laughing??

Quick question about the French Regional Lunch today--is there a "dress code" or are shorts and t's okay?
Tamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #2354
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
If you wanted the bacon ice cream without standing in line, you had to get it first, without waiting for what you would think of as "dessert time" (I learned this years ago with PFTS...do it backwards. Get the must have desserts. Then toward the end of the night when everyone else is in line for dessert, you can just walk up and get the must-have savory items without waiting for those.)

I can't imagine them having "too few options." I did not get to everything and I didn't repeat anything either. But then there isn't much I won't eat.
Completely forgot to comment on the desserts. Most of them were very good, but I would have to say my favorite was from my home state man, Dana Herbert!

While it wasn't the "Apple French Toast" as advertised - The Peach Cobbler was delicious - I had it with the Rosemary ice cream. Yummy.

The assorted chocolates from Moonstruck were yummy - I brought a few of them home. The Chocolate Pistachio bar was good too as was the Salted Caramel Budino. Was disappointed in the Coconut Key Lime Sundae.
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse
ashleyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #2355
RunnerMomO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar View Post

The menu for tomorrow includes a first course of pate and main course of beef. We stopped in to the restaurant tonight since neither of us eat red meat or pork. The manager went back and talked to the chef, who has noted these limitations and assured us we will have something to eat.
Thanks so much. Heading to Epcot today and will try to stop by the restaurant tonight to make a similar request.
RunnerMomO is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: