Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #2116
ladyelenawf
Never too old to be treated like a Princess!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxcollector View Post
Josh has a picture of the stein (at least I think it's the one you're talking about) in his latest post at easywdw.
Thank you!! The first part of his article really saved me a trip to the festival center. I love looking at the chocolate creations. I just hate schlepping to the center. It even showed those plates w/ the glass holder on them that every one was talking about.

The second part did have a picture of the stein!!! Thank you sooo much! Along with a helpful review of the offerings.

Still wondering what to do w/ the beer I won't want...
Dec 2010 Off Site, Feb 2006 AKL, May 1999 FW-C
ladyelenawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #2117
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikran View Post
Anybody have a link to a Parisian Breakfast review? Very curious about this one and can't wait to go on Nov 2!
This is not a formal review but I went this past Saturday.

They don't really let you over the bridge into the France area until a few minutes before 9 and then you line up to check in. Someone from the first party said they brought out Mimosas to them, that didn't happen with our party.
You are lead to your seat by a waiter and then it's on.

There's a buffet. Don't expect anything healthy (None of those strange whole wheat croissants the D23 event tried to pawn off on us) Beautiful pastries, great cheeses and meats. IT's all you can eat. I only made one trip but others went back several times

The mimosas were unlimited and we got our money's worth just out of that. After the first one our waiter refilled them.. his method was lots of champagne and a splash of orange juice.... and our glasses were full almost the entire time we were there....

Someone from the restaurant gave a little speech about how their bakery works and pushed the afternoon event but that was it for "education"

My gut feeling is this is the year to go, when they figure out how much we are drinking either the unlimited drinks go or the price goes way up

I had a great time!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #2118
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyelenawf View Post
Thank you!! The first part of his article really saved me a trip to the festival center. I love looking at the chocolate creations. I just hate schlepping to the center. It even showed those plates w/ the glass holder on them that every one was talking about.

The second part did have a picture of the stein!!! Thank you sooo much! Along with a helpful review of the offerings.

Still wondering what to do w/ the beer I won't want...
Note....

I don't see the stein they give you when you buy beer in that report. The one I see is the one they sell. The one they give you is plastic and has small food and wine log on it.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #2119
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
I wasn't questioning the use of the word. My point was that describing the general admission to PFTS as equal to a stampede or the running of the bulls was a tremendous exaggeration that might scare off new party-goers. It is a great experience even in general admission and in 8+ parties, we have never felt a stampede or any kind of negative issue with the entrance to the party. It is a large group of people excited to enter but it is wll-orchestrated and perfectly fine. and if crowds scare you, enter the party five minutes late and there will be no crowd at all.
Sadly as a solo I had several negative issues. Since I was unable to get others to "hold" my table I found I had no place to sit or even put my plate for most of the evening due to the "table ownership" that others had established. And if you go way back in this thread you see an example of that where a poster got very upset that some "Dared" to sit at their "reserved" table (which they had reserved with a Disney bag LOL!) Now I admit the last year I went it was rather bizarre, but I think folks need to know that while Disney sells it as a cocktail party a lot of guests race to grab a table then will defend it like they own it for the entire night...
Old 10-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #2120
VrBchJ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
This is not a formal review but I went this past Saturday.

They don't really let you over the bridge into the France area until a few minutes before 9 and then you line up to check in. Someone from the first party said they brought out Mimosas to them, that didn't happen with our party.
You are lead to your seat by a waiter and then it's on.

There's a buffet. Don't expect anything healthy (None of those strange whole wheat croissants the D23 event tried to pawn off on us) Beautiful pastries, great cheeses and meats. IT's all you can eat. I only made one trip but others went back several times

The mimosas were unlimited and we got our money's worth just out of that. After the first one our waiter refilled them.. his method was lots of champagne and a splash of orange juice.... and our glasses were full almost the entire time we were there....

Someone from the restaurant gave a little speech about how their bakery works and pushed the afternoon event but that was it for "education"

My gut feeling is this is the year to go, when they figure out how much we are drinking either the unlimited drinks go or the price goes way up

I had a great time!
I totally agree with everything you said. The Parisian breakfast was outstanding. Along with the unlimited Mimosas I had 3 or 4 cappuccinos. BTW what was up with those whole wheat croissants at D23? I'm not doing the Sip and Stroll again. They've "downsized" it to the point it's not worth it. IMHO.
VrBchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #2121
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrBchJ View Post
I totally agree with everything you said. The Parisian breakfast was outstanding. Along with the unlimited Mimosas I had 3 or 4 cappuccinos. BTW what was up with those whole wheat croissants at D23? I'm not doing the Sip and Stroll again. They've "downsized" it to the point it's not worth it. IMHO.
Yep, the only thing I liked on D23 was the desert party, but I won't pay for it again.

I liked two of the three speakers (The poor coffee guy really isn't a public speaker IMHO) But the "samples' were lame and too much alike and the "shot glasses" of beer.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2122
mbtohill
Mouseketeer

We were at F&W last week from the 1st-4th. Here are a couple quick observations:

Weather was HOT, near 90 during the day with blazing sun

Crowds at night were much larger than previous years. By 6:30pm many of the lines were 20 people long. Not what we have come to expect for Weekday crowds. I will say that during the day the crowds were non-existent. The old adage about arriving early seems to apply more and more

Food was OUTSTANDING. Couple surprises were the Veggie Haggis, the Potato Leek Waffle in Belgium, Seared Rainbow Trout in Canada and the Zapiekanki in Poland.

For our money, the Tutto Gusto is the BEST lounge/pub/bar on property. The CM's are outstanding, Andrea the manager was a hoot. Spent an hour or so there during both afternoons and it was glorious.

All in all a GREAT trip, looking forward to doing it again next year.
Beach Club - May '12
Swan & Dolphin - Oct/11, Oct/12 for Food & Wine
Beach Club - Oct '13 For Food & Wine
Swan - Dec '13
Next Visit- Sheraton Vistana Villages and Beach Club May '14

Me 47, DW 43, DD 13, DD 11
mbtohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #2123
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

The reason people have so many " issues" with PFTS is they don't treat it as it is intended. It is a cocktail party. You are supposed to move around, get a bite, move around. Possibly lean at a table to cut a meat item, say hello to a new friend and move on. Hunkering down at a table with your " buffet" of food items was never the intent of the event. And, honestly, I don't care if you think you've " saved" a table in the GA area. If I want to stop and sit down for a minute or lean at a hi top, I will because, unless you paid for a reserved table, they aren't " yours". The only exception to the no saving policy should be a designated handicapped table (s) for those who literally cannot stand for the event. I wish they'd do more to prevent the hi tops and other GA tables from being " saved".

Best reason yet, if you are hunkered down at a table and have to keep coming back to it, you are definitely going to drink and eat less than someone floating around. Not going to get your full money's worth!
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #2124
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Not sure if this has been asked before, which it probably has numerous times already (sorry if it has, I have not been keeping up with this years thread much), but are the kiosks open durring PMEMH this year?

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2125
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before, which it probably has numerous times already (sorry if it has, I have not been keeping up with this years thread much), but are the kiosks open durring PMEMH this year?
Nope, they close at normal park closing.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #2126
OrlandoSteve
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think the opening " stampede" is very exaggerated. We have gone to PFTS every year for the past 5-6 yrs and never waste the extra money on a seat. Yes, it is a little crowded but no one runs or pushes. It is a large crowd flowing well through a huge opening. No cause for alarm or fear for injury.

I can't wait!
I disagree 100%. "Stampede" is exactly what it is. Did the stampede for the last three years. Horrible. People jockeying for position well before the curtain opens. Some people outright rude trying to get into just the right spot for the curtain pull. Then when the curtain opens- WATCH OUT! They have cast members begging people to slow down, but they ignore them and shove their way through. I am stunned nobody gets seroiusly hurt (or maybe some do and you just don't hear about it).

Then, during the stampede process, you have to try to find a standing table. Another experiment in human rudneness. It's unfortunate that such a fun event can be ruined by mean, nasty people.

We vowed never to go again without reserved seating. Fortunately, we did get reserved seating this year (or we would have skipped it). It will be nice to watch the stampede instead of participating. Maybe I'll take some pictures as the curtain is pulled!
OrlandoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #2127
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

Or, you can do it the way it is supposed to work, NOT try to secure a table ( rude) and just circulate the party like a true cocktail party, leaving the tables available for stopping to have a bite and moving on.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #2128
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Monday afternoon after a rain and its crowded. At least near the front

Sent from my mobile device.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #2129
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Or, you can do it the way it is supposed to work, NOT try to secure a table ( rude) and just circulate the party like a true cocktail party, leaving the tables available for stopping to have a bite and moving on.
That assumes the folks who have the table "reserved" will allow you to share it with them. Not always a valid assumption

Since the "rude" have reserved a lot of the tables it's very hard to stop and have a bite unless you want to risk insults etc....

It's nice that you want to treat it like it's intended but until Disney somehow convinces the majority of the guests that's the plan, the rude will continue to "own" a table LOL!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #2130
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

I love this place but the internet sucks

Sent from my mobile device.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: