Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #2026
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoZoo22 View Post
We have been doing the PFTS for six or seven years now, Wine View Lounge seating and general admission tickets; this will be our first year in Reserved Seating. Ticket prices have remained essentially unchanged since I started keeping track in 2010.

We have found the quality and quantity at PFTS remains high each year, which is why we keep going back. The WVL seating is fun, but I'm not sure the extreme price difference (more than $130 a seat) is worth the private table, personal service, full bar, and special food selection. The personal service is exceptional, thought. And we really enjoy not having to be part of the general admission stampede to get a table, but the cost is a real consideration. The reserved seating is not a significant cost increase (about $45/person), so we will see if that is worth it this year, depending on where those seats are. Talking with strangers is part of the fun for PFTS!
I am doing Wine View. I am not sure it's worth the price but I liked it a lot last year so I decided to splurge again.

I went every year for years and then one year the the stampede and rude was just too much. (It was the year they were giving away lots of "freebies" and the recipients had a strong sense of "entitlement" and were just rude, would not share tables, shoved folks to get to the front of the food lines etc... Half way through I had enough and walked out, Even the Disney CM was upset with what was going on and apologized a lot, plus a I got a couple of extra wine glasses )

Last year I went back after the break and did Wine View. Loved it No, I can't actually justify the price, but I am going alone this year so it' easier to swallow since it's just one person
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #2027
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
(There was one year I went, but I think you are right the last few years there's been no PFTS this year)

I saw a post for Parisian Breakfast in this thread, but it mainly went through the logistics of getting in etc not much on food etc. I have searched but will try again

Also was curious how the seminars went this year. Last year I returned after taking a break. I didn't want to keep paying to be treated rudely by the staff and a few years ago they were just horrid. Talking loudly while picking up the empty glasses, tried to make me sit in a seat that had no "table" in front of it because the pooh sized folks already there had shoved the chair into the aisle... The vendor rep finally had it with them and told them to SHUT UP and moved me to an empty table (which interfered with their loud clean up campaign LOL!) Last year I went back for a couple and was much happier but....
Sorry to hear about the poor experience. We have encountered rude tourists at some seminars, but we mostly just pointedly ignore them, and wonder why they paid for the special ticket.

Overall, we really love the seminars, and learn something new at every one. We are really happy DW keeps adding new ones and is keeping prices reasonable, mostly. We have a seminar or special event scheduled for eacch day of our vacation, and are SUPER EXCITED about the Rogue Valley Creamery cheese seminar November 2. We love their cheese!

BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #2028
GrumpyFamilyof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoZoo22 View Post
I've never seen those (in past years), but the gift shop in the festival center does have a nice pair of Mickey salt and pepper grinders. We love ours.
Thank-you, I collect s/p shakers, will look for those!
7/91-1st time@ Disney w/Grandparents!(Larsons Lodge),1/92-offsite,3/01-Diplomat Inn,2/02-offsite(car stolen) 7/06-ASMo,10/06-POP(MNSSHP),3/07-POP,7/07-Best Western Lakeside(SW,Cypress Gardens),6/08-Royale Parc Resort(Seaworld & P&PP),11/08-ASMu(MVMCP),6/10-Best Western Lakeside(Epcot/BG),9/10-Super 8 Maingate,2/13-ASsp/Comfort Suites Maingate East,10/13 Rodeway Inn Maingate(F&W),3/14 Royal Pacific,6/14 Rodeway Inn Maingate

Me DH DS(22) DS(13) DD(17) Jasper Precious
GrumpyFamilyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #2029
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Drinking lots of beer and wine an haven't even been in the parks today. back to Epcot tomorrow

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #2030
Skoolie
Mouseketeer

Trip report # one.

We decided to go Sunday Night 5 pm to 8:30pm. The weather was beautiful.

So here is my report.

Hawaii

Tuna Poke - We have had this in years past and it's still just as good but seems a bit smaller of a portion. It's shareable but if you really like it get one of your own.

Craft Beers

Torpedo IPA - I love IPAs and I've had this one before and enjoyed it.
Red Hook Audible Ale - also very good.

Greece

Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki sauce - I really thought this was an improvement from the Chicken Slouvaki from last year. Last year people kept telling me they wished it was more of a gyro, and my cousin had bought both the Slouvaki and the greek salad and combined them together because she thought that slouvaki was too plain. We enjoyed this gyro and would had been a hit with my cousin if she was there.

Hops and Barley

Beers -Sam Adams Boston Lager and October fest. This is more of just a tradition for us to grab one of these. Still taste the same.

Mexico

Shrimp Taco with Purple Cabbage and Taco de Rib-Eye with Salsa de Chipotle.
My favorite of the two was the shrimp taco but both were very good. The rib-eye taco had a nice smokey spicy heat from the chipotle. A win win for both.

Australia

Grilled Lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies. - The first bite was excellent but the second revealed it was very salty. Overly salty for me. My husband loved it but agreed the salt level should be kicked down. My guess is that the salt in cooking the lamb plus the salt in the potato crunchies and pesto was just too much. Dialing back on the salt could of made this a winner as the lamb was cooked well.

Pavlova

Disclaimer: I make lots of pavlovas and in my mind have perfected a pavlova
This Pavlova is good but the meringue crust was too cooked and was dense and chalky. The vanilla custard is not a custard but more like a sauce overlaid on top but it was tasty. The berries were nice and fresh

Overall a great small start. I forgot my phone but my husband did take some pics so once he uploads them I can share.

Hope all are having a great time.
Skoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #2031
Amunet
DIS Veteran

I was wondering if anyone had a forecast of sorts for how early one should be to get good seats for the concerts?
I know it depends on the band, so in my case, it's Oct. 30th - Smashmouth (words cannot describe my excitement).
The 30th is going to be kind of crazy for us but if we need to get to epcot earlier ... I would definately rearrange my plans to make sure I get good seats.
We extended our vacation by a day so I could see Smashmouth
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #2032
That'sNotVeryMagical
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I was wondering if anyone had a forecast of sorts for how early one should be to get good seats for the concerts?
I know it depends on the band, so in my case, it's Oct. 30th - Smashmouth (words cannot describe my excitement).
The 30th is going to be kind of crazy for us but if we need to get to epcot earlier ... I would definately rearrange my plans to make sure I get good seats.
It absolutely depends on the band. One thing to keep in mind is that there are three shows; some people way most of the day to be up front for the first show. Others wait in line through the first show to be up front for the second or even third.

When it comes to later shows, a castmember hands out tickets to people in line before the first/second show end, but this can be abused if you have a willing accomplice. (As in one person who doesn't care sits in line the entire time, always being first, and then gives their ticket to a second person who gets up front every show.)

I wouldn't expect most shows are that difficult to get up front for, though. The above scenario is surely the oddity and not the norm.

√WDW √TDR √HKDR √DLR DLRP
That'sNotVeryMagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #2033
Ms. WDW
DIS Veteran Who Won't Grow Up!
Dodging the Boardwalk surrey bikes is a thrill ride in itself!

Thank you all for the "first hand" reports! It sounds like everyone is having a wonderful time.

See you all in 4 more days!!!

Ms. WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #2034
jcvalenti
Wine Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sNotVeryMagical View Post
...some people way most of the day to be up front for the first show.
Seriously - I have NEVER understood this. I've seen people standing in line two hours before a show in the hot, unrelenting sun, for these concerts ... ignoring the fun and frivolity and the wonderful experience that is a party crawl around the World Showcase. They lift the ropes and BAM - there are plenty of seats for everyone. Even right up front !

I don't even sit anymore - if there's a band I want to see, you'll generally find me standing at the closest beer both, watching from afar. It's just as much fun and I don't have to waste precious time in line
Trip History: June 1983 - Treehouse Villas | June 1984 - Fort Wilderness | July 1992 - Euro Disneyland | June/July 2004, October 2004, June 2005, June/July 2008, June 2009, July 2011, June 2012 - Offsite (usually with a Huge Family Group) | Oct 2008, Oct 2011 - Dolphin (Epcot F & W) | Oct 2013 - Swan (Epcot F & W)
Next Trip: August 2014 - Offsite (with an even huger family group)
Favorite Restaurants: Jiko, Il Mulino, Via Napoli, Teppan Edo, Biergarten, Kouzzina
Favorite Disney "Stuff": Haunted Mansion, A 40th Bday Illuminations Cruise with a 1971 Chateau Haut Brion, Enjoying the Hospitality of Benito at Tutto Gusto, Watching the kids build their own list of favorites, Renting boats at the Polynesian, Seeing "Bo Duke" at Cali Grill during last F&W
jcvalenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #2035
Bellamouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvalenti View Post
Seriously - I have NEVER understood this. I've seen people standing in line two hours before a show in the hot, unrelenting sun, for these concerts ... ignoring the fun and frivolity and the wonderful experience that is a party crawl around the World Showcase. They lift the ropes and BAM - there are plenty of seats for everyone. Even right up front !

I don't even sit anymore - if there's a band I want to see, you'll generally find me standing at the closest beer both, watching from afar. It's just as much fun and I don't have to waste precious time in line
Agree 1000%
Bellamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #2036
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Seriously - I have NEVER understood this. I've seen people standing in line two hours before a show in the hot, unrelenting sun, for these concerts ... ignoring the fun and frivolity and the wonderful experience that is a party crawl around the World Showcase. They lift the ropes and BAM - there are plenty of seats for everyone. Even right up front ! I don't even sit anymore - if there's a band I want to see, you'll generally find me standing at the closest beer both, watching from afar. It's just as much fun and I don't have to waste precious time in line
t

Two hours is for amatures. I have seen folks camped out at opening. Yes folks. 11 am.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2037
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Quote:

The more popular bands do have significant lines that build up several hours in advance. My suggestion would be to check out the venue on one of the days before the event. There really isn't a bad seat in the house!

The best concert I've heard there was the Pointer Sisters, and we didn't even have seats! We were 'dancing in the streets' with the elderly pin cart CM behind the pavilion! It was an absolute blast! That sidewalk area is basically the dance floor for the rocking concerts. So, I agree with jcvalenti. Maybe hang out behind the pavilion for the first concert, wait in line for the second, then do whatever was most fun for the third.

BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #2038
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolie View Post

Australia

Grilled Lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies. - The first bite was excellent but the second revealed it was very salty. Overly salty for me. My husband loved it but agreed the salt level should be kicked down. My guess is that the salt in cooking the lamb plus the salt in the potato crunchies and pesto was just too much. Dialing back on the salt could of made this a winner as the lamb was cooked well.
Thanks for your review. The part I highlighted was a joke last year. Potato crunchies were just crushed up potato chips! Was it the same this year?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Agree 1000%
Me too! I just don't understand why people will stand there for a couple of hours doing nothing when there is so much fun to be had around WS.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #2039
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I think they use the word crunchies because in Australia CHIPS are French fries. Aussies call US potato chips, Crisps. So calling them crunchies may be a Aussie term.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #2040
Jolissi
Earning My Ears

Can anybody recommend a must try drink at this years festival. I like my sweet drinks so anything like beer or a dry wine would be off the list. Thanks
Jolissi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: