Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #1531
cdtommie
Beerman, DVC BWV/BCV/VWL/BLT, no steak, slushies or nuggets for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conandrob240 View Post
PFTS is supposed to be a moveable cocktail,party. You are supposed to circulate around, tasting bites, sipping wine. There is no need for this crazy table saving or someone sitting while another gets up. Walk around together, get bites, eat them, go to next chef. If something needs to be cut, lean at a high table for a minute, exchange a pleasantry with someone standing there and move on. This is not a sit down dinner and I still don't under stand the big deal about a table (unless you have a disability or trouble standing or walking, of course.) if we see a partly empty high top, we'll stop for a minute to eat our food ( often to a very disgruntled person all agitated because he table is " saved") and move on.
Bingo! it's a cocktail party, not a sit down dinner. No one is entitled to hog a whole table for the entire night.
cdtommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #1532
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtommie View Post

Bingo! it's a cocktail party, not a sit down dinner. No one is entitled to hog a whole table for the entire night.
I don't remember anyone saying they wanted to "hog a whole table for the entire night"...? I do recall some specifically stating they did not want/intend to do this, though.

I've never been to a cocktail party with reserved seating - seems a mismatch to me, personally.

And Disney isn't billing something like Scotland: Land of Food and Drink as a "cocktail party". If that's what they intend, they should be clear in how they market these things. And they should clearly describe what "STANDARD SEATING" means at the WDW F&W fest. Not obvious AT ALL. JMHO.

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #1533
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unless they have paid for reserved seating...
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse; Jul 14 - CSR; Oct '14 POFQ/CSR
ashleyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1534
cdtommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
I don't remember anyone saying they wanted to "hog a whole table for the entire night"...? I do recall some specifically stating they did not want/intend to do this, though.

I've never been to a cocktail party with reserved seating - seems a mismatch to me, personally.

And Disney isn't billing something like Scotland: Land of Food and Drink as a "cocktail party". If that's what they intend, they should be clear in how they market these things. And they should clearly describe what "STANDARD SEATING" means at the WDW F&W fest. Not obvious AT ALL. JMHO.
We've been going to this even since it's inception and it clearly began as a "cocktail party" type event (the plate they provide you has a cut out to hold your wine glass while you are standing). Seating has increased over the years to address this common complaint (it has pretty much leveled off now with the reserved options).

The reserved seat option (and corresponding price premium) just appeared in the past few years...people have been doing the mad bull rush and holding tables all night since the beginning (believe me, we've done this event like 20 times) and we have witnessed first hand how incredibly nasty people can be due to seat and high top hoarding, even just to put a plate down on a high top for even a minute - that's why we got fed up enough to skip this event for a couple of years and have only returned with the introduction of the reserved seat option. To be honest, if we didn't get reserved seating, we would just move on and book some other event instead.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #1535
cdtommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrm View Post
Unless they have paid for reserved seating...
Yes, my comment was the referencing general admission aspect of the event.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #1536
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, my comment was the referencing general admission aspect of the event.
And we will be reserved seating along with you on 10/26!

7:15PM - Party of the Senses Reserved Seating
cdtommie
ashleyrm + 1
Inkmahm + 1 (Dynaguy)

First time for us with the reserved seating. Really looking forward to it!
March 1994 - Poly; 1995 - CBR; Nov 1997 - All Star Music; Dec 1998 - Beach Club; Aug 1999 - Dixie Landings; July 2002 - POR; Summer 2003 - ASMo; Nov 2004 - POR; April 2005 - OKW Jan 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter; ; Feb 2009 - POR; Mar/Apr 2009 - BC; May 2009 - POFQ; Nov 2009 - Pop; Mar 2011 - All Star Movies; Apr 2012 - POR; Aug 2012 - ASMu; Dec 2012 - CSR; Feb 2013 - ASSports; May 2013- POFQ; Oct 2013 -CSR; Dec 2013 - ASSports; Feb '14 - AKL; Apr '14 - POP; May '14 - SSR treehouse; Jul 14 - CSR; Oct '14 POFQ/CSR
ashleyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #1537
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
We've been going to this even since it's inception and it clearly began as a "cocktail party" type event (the plate they provide you has a cut out to hold your wine glass while you are standing). Seating has increased over the years to address this common complaint (it has pretty much leveled off now with the reserved options).

The reserved seat option (and corresponding price premium) just appeared in the past few years...people have been doing the mad bull rush and holding tables all night since the beginning (believe me, we've done this event like 20 times) and we have witnessed first hand how incredibly nasty people can be due to seat and high top hoarding, even just to put a plate down on a high top for even a minute - that's why we got fed up enough to skip this event for a couple of years and have only returned with the introduction of the reserved seat option. To be honest, if we didn't get reserved seating, we would just move on and book some other event instead.
I hear ya'. I tried to get reserved seating but after a variety of snafus (Disney-caused!), I wasn't able to. And this will be our first time at a F&W event (stuck to booths before), so given Disney's descriptions we really didn't know what to expect with "standard" seating. I'm grateful for DIS and people in this thread for clueing me in before we get there!!

I would NEVER be rude to people or complain in any way if they shared a table or high-top I was at! Disney is setting up this way -- those people aren't doing anything wrong! I just think they could have a better setup. Reserved, and standard, where standard means you grab your seat (not whole table) when you get in and can keep that seat without a problem.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #1538
cdtommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrm View Post
And we will be reserved seating along with you on 10/26!

7:15PM - Party of the Senses Reserved Seating
cdtommieha
ashleyrm + 1
Inkmahm + 1 (Dynaguy)

First time for us with the reserved seating. Really looking forward to it!
Awesome! We did reserved last year and it was great except for an early snafu... someone with an ECV claimed our table...I think they liked that it was on the perimeter and not one of the internal tables. They were already out on the floor when we got there so just the ECV parked there...the CM said they would move them or they could get find us another table (we opted for the latter)...by the time they got the manager with all the confusion and set up a new table it was about 7:45PM already so we lost any early advantage.

Our esteemed moderator and one of our Disney hero's, TDC Nala will also be there in the reserved section too.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #1539
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Just saw that All Ears is posting that they have added seats to the Parisian breakfasts. Was that something that could be booked online, or did it have to be over the phone?
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
TiggerAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1540
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

One year at Party for the Senses in 2008 (The Year of the Comps and Magical Memories Giveaways) a fight broke out between two men over a chair. Both were ejected. In those years, whole families came to PFTS, put a blanket on the ground and had a picnic. That stopped when the comps ended. I tend to think there's no children's price for the food and wine events because it discourages parents from bringing along their young children. I think PFTS is fine for teens or even tweens who have an adventurous palate and like tasting different foods. But not for little kids. Now, when I see little kids at the event, they are usually the chefs' kids.

I'd like to NOT see an argument over whether the chair you grab is "yours." I just want those in general admission to be aware: if you get up and leave the table and someone takes that chair, Disney likely won't help you get it back.

My friend got the reserved seating last year, she had a table with her name on it and ONE chair. When she would come back from getting food, sometimes there would be a person sitting in her chair. In that case you can point to the name on the table and state this is a paid reserved table. That did the trick for her, but I'm guessing it wouldn't work for general admission.

I may see Tommie at the beer table...it's not any unusual beer though.

Quote:
Just saw that All Ears is posting that they have added seats to the Parisian breakfasts. Was that something that could be booked online, or did it have to be over the phone?
Parisian breakfast must be booked by phone.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-14-2013 at 03:36 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #1541
gwynne
DIS Veteran

And another thought on PFTS and the Scotland event...

I am so hoping that that more folks (in general admission) will be reasonable about sharing the tall top tables. All other guests want to do is cut something, and/or set their glass down for no more than a few minutes, and then mosey along. I don't want to go all kumbaya...but I it would be great if we could be friendly neighbors to one another.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #1542
cdtommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I may see Tommie at the beer table...it's not any unusual beer though.
I miss the good old days when Lenny was pouring the Sam Adams Utopias.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #1543
MickeyMinnieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
And another thought on PFTS and the Scotland event...

I am so hoping that that more folks (in general admission) will be reasonable about sharing the tall top tables. All other guests want to do is cut something, and/or set their glass down for no more than a few minutes, and then mosey along. I don't want to go all kumbaya...but I it would be great if we could be friendly neighbors to one another.
Agreed! Not that it's an excuse, but I wonder how many people show up NOT expecting this setup and are pretty annoyed at what they find? That they're caught off-guard by a stranger just walking up to "their" table to cut something?

As I said, if I didn't find it out here, this is NOT what I would have expected. I wouldn't mind it, but I can see how some people might, particularly if they were unprepared.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1544
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I think it would be wonderful if PFTS worked the way it is supposed to, but they just turn everybody loose and that's it, work it out yourself.

Seen my share of "that's MY table" on the high tops. I think it got worse last year with the new seating configuration. Try in the area that everybody waits before GA is let in...once they're gone, they put high tops in there, too.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #1545
WDWGeek1971
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasedroz View Post
It's a weekend trip. We'll only be there Saturday. We won't arrive til 7 on Friday night and are keeping around 4:30 Sunday afternoon.
Something else you might want to try is to head over to France for "breakfast." The bakery there is now open before World Showcase. If you just happened to already be there at 11:00am finishing up a cup of coffee when World Showcase opened, you'd have a bit of a jump start on crowds.

Also, you could start one morning clockwise, on the Canada, England, France side, and then on the other morning counter clockwise, towards Mexico, Norway, China. There are usually quite a few booths on the World Showcase Promenade between Canada and Mexico, as well, so try not to miss them.

First Visit: December 1971
Most Recent Visits: Oct/Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Feb 2011, May 2011, July 2011, Oct 2011, Nov 2011, Dec 2011, Feb 2012, May 2012, Aug 2012, Sept/Oct 2012, Nov 2012, Dec 2012, Mar 2013, Oct/Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Mar 2014, May 2014, Oct 2014, Dec 2014.
Next Visits: Spring 2015, Nov 2015
WDWGeek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: