Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
kari6576
Earning My Ears

Picky Eaters

We are not on the dining plan. I made reservations for BOG, Biergarten, Hollywood and Vine, TRex and Via Napoli. After going through the menus just now, I discovered that there is not much for me or my children to eat at Biergarten or BOG. Those places are both so expensive!! Do they really ONLY make what's on the menu or can you ask for chicken and fries or buttered noodles? I want to "experience" those places, but not if we are paying all that money and not eating the food. :-(
kari6576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari6576 View Post
We are not on the dining plan. I made reservations for BOG, Biergarten, Hollywood and Vine, TRex and Via Napoli. After going through the menus just now, I discovered that there is not much for me or my children to eat at Biergarten or BOG. Those places are both so expensive!! Do they really ONLY make what's on the menu or can you ask for chicken and fries or buttered noodles? I want to "experience" those places, but not if we are paying all that money and not eating the food. :-(
Biergarten has a kids buffet with chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese, etc.

No experience with BOG making an alternative menu but hopefully someone else will have a response.
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Biergarten is a buffet, so you pay the buffet price no matter what you eat. Even if they would make the chicken/fries/buttered noodles for you, do you want to pay that price for that?

As to BoG, does the lunch menu have anything you'll eat? If not, how about just going for a cupcake at lunch? Or make a later ADR and just have dessert? You'll still get to experience the place, but not have to eat. Most reports are they will not make something that's not on the menu. You can leave off sauces or trade sides with another side on the menu, but not create your own menu.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
vicb
DIS Veteran

A couple of thoughts:

I have traveled with picky eaters (my kids when they were young), I have carried small packets of ketchup and peanut butter to make things easier for them in restaurants. I would feed them a piece of fruit or yogurt before we went to restaurants. Always had pretzels or crackers for them to nibble in a restaurant. But we always made them order a meal where we were, sometimes they liked it and sometimes not. We tried not to agonize over the $$ issue and focus on the experience.

One trip they both were on a plain chicken breast kick.... we were able to order that at many disney restaurants without anyone blinking an eye at us. At SAI my son ordered a "deconstructed" quesadilla, meaning everything separate and unassembled (chicken, cheese, tortilla, sour cream). The waiter was amused but did bring just that and DS was happy.

Vacation is a time to try to expand your horizons, we can point to a dinner at Teppan Edo when my son about 9 and stopped being so picky. DD dared him to eat "seaweed salad", he did and surprised himself that it "wasn't bad" from that point going forward he was much more open to trying new foods.

We took our kids to Beirgarten and they found things to eat. The atmosphere is very fun and we were glad we tried it.

I know it is easy to say "don't reinforce" picky eating and much harder to do but having lived through it I am so glad we encouraged our kids to try new things and Disney is so accomodating. They are both in college now and normal eaters.

Good luck!
vicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have two pretty picky eaters in my family. DH's all time favorite restaurant is Biergarden. He loves the food.......the kids not so much. I would not mind paying the kids price, but paying the adult price when they eat very little is tough for me. DD did not eat anything last time and just got Chinese take out afterwards.

The atmosphere, servers, Ompa Band and sitting with other diners is why we still all go. For us the experience is worth the kids not eating their money's worth. While we are on vacation, I let those worries go and just enjoy.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to sound snarky so please don't take the wrong way but it's more common to look at the offerings before making a reservation. And I'm not just talking Disney World.

Experiencing a place is great but at buffets, if you sit down, you will be charged the price of that buffet. Most offsite buffets have you pay before you are even seated and I would not like Disney World to do that (walk up to Biergarten and have the entire meal on there before you are led to your table) but it could happen.

At the other places, look at the ENTIRE menu. If something is listed on that ENTIRE menu, ask if it can be served individually. Look at the children's menu. If you like chicken nuggets, ask if those can be served to you. You aren't on the dining plan so credits are not the issue. Also, remember appetizers can make for enjoyable meals. Look at desserts - something good there? You don't have to have a "full and complete" meal anywhere at Disney World. Find ONE thing and go from there.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Biergarden is a buffet and as such the food is prepared "in bulk" and not really able to be modified to your taste.
It has been reported at BOG that they will make minmal, if any, changes to the food preparation or substitution.
I do not think it is reasonable to go to a restaurant and expect them to prepare something (chicken, fries or buttered noodles) for you that is not on their menu. Most all restaurants will work with you to simplifiy a menu item they are preparing by leaving off a sauce or switching out sides etc. But you can not expect them to totally prepare something just for you.
If you do not like the menu offerings, you should seek out a restaurant where the food offered looks good to you and your family. With over 100 TS restaurants in WDW I am sure you will find somewhere you will enjoy.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
eggonzac
Earning My Ears

I am a SUPER picky eater and Biergarten had plenty for me to eat. The menu sounds a lot scarier for picky eaters than it really is.....
eggonzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Luv4Disney
DIS Veteran

I am a picky eater and I love Biergarten! Spaetzle is definitely like a buttered noodle and their schnitzel is just breaded chicken or pork. They also have potato dumplings and the kid section like someone else mentioned. If you go for lunch, it's a lot cheaper. BOG our daughter just had the pasta marinara. Pretty basic.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to seem snarky either. I do not mean my thoughts that way. But Biergarden is a buffet and as such the food is prepared "in bulk" and not really able to be modified to your taste.
It has been reported at BOG that they will make minmal, if any, changes to the food preparation or substitution.
I do not think it is reasonable to go to a restaurant and expect them to prepare something (chicken, fries or buttered noodles) for you that is not on their menu. Most all restaurants will work with you to simplifiy a menu item they are preparing by leaving off a sauce or switching out sides etc. But you can not expect them to totally prepare something just for you.
If you do not like the menu offerings, you should seek out a restaurant where the food offered looks good to you and your family. With over 100 TS restaurants in WDW I am sure you will find somewhere you will enjoy.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

As a parent who has a child will choose to go hungry over eating something she really doesn't want, I choose restaurants only after I've made sure that there's at least something on the menu that she'll eat, otherwise we skip it the restaurant. There are several restaurants I would love to try but I can't find anything that my 13yo would eat (she's limited in what she can order as she has allergies so foods have to be easily modifiable to be safe for her and only a certain portion of the menu can have this done) then I won't book the ADR.

You might be surprised by just how much there is at Biergarten that picky eaters might eat. They have deli meat, cheese, fruit, hot dogs (by another name but still that's what they seem like), roasted chicken, and from what others are saying they also have a kids area with chicken nuggets and mac & cheese, plus I remember there were other things my non-adventurous child would eat as well.

I've read many reports of BOG refusing to make ANY changes, even just things like leaving the sauce off the pasta.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We have not gone to several different restaurants at Disney World because of our 2 picky eaters in the family (my husband and daughter (12) are the picky eaters. We have fed our daughter before eating at restaurants many times and she has then just eaten dessert while we eat dinner. At a Disney buffet you can't feed them first because they charge you anyway.

I would personally cancel both reservations and either eat counter service or find a restaurant they will eat at and schedule that.

Good Luck!!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
cynditech
Earning My Ears

I totally understand your worries - I'm a mommy to what I thought was the world's pickiest eater. But, he eats like crazy at Disney? He knows now, when we're at the restaurant, to make the most of what is offered and no one has ever gone hungry. We've actually used it to our advantage and have had him try a ton of new things! You may be surprised! Good luck

CBR Oct '12 ~ BLT Oct '13 ~ BCV Oct '14

cynditech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
ErinTwinmom
Earning My Ears

I have three year old twins with autism. They are very, very picky eaters. I have ADRs set up for both BoG and biergarden for our trip in May and I'm not worried. Biergarden will be easy with the kid buffet and at BoG we will buy them some counter service that they will eat and take it with us.
ErinTwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Odelay
Mouseketeer

You could always pretend that restaurants at Disney World are like real world restaurants. If the menu doesn't match your needs, don't go there. Problem solved.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: