Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
J*e*n
Earning My Ears

Wonder Vs. Dream in Crowds?

Hi there! I've sailed twice on the Wonder and am now looking into sailing on the Dream with my hubby.....
BUT....
When you look at the size and capacity difference, WOW.

I'm curious if anyone has sailed on the Wonder/Magic then gone to the Dream/Fantasy. What are the differences as far as how busy the pools are, people everywhere, etc?

The Wonder never seemed to be overcrowded (of course, the pool had busier times, etc) but I'm wondering how that differers with the expanded capacity?

Thanks!

"Captain Awesome and Madam Fantastic"
J*e*n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J*e*n View Post
Hi there! I've sailed twice on the Wonder and am now looking into sailing on the Dream with my hubby.....
BUT....
When you look at the size and capacity difference, WOW.

I'm curious if anyone has sailed on the Wonder/Magic then gone to the Dream/Fantasy. What are the differences as far as how busy the pools are, people everywhere, etc?

The Wonder never seemed to be overcrowded (of course, the pool had busier times, etc) but I'm wondering how that differers with the expanded capacity?

Thanks!
I cruised 4 times on the classic ships and then 4 times on the bigger ships. Yes. It's more crowded. No doubt. Everywhere. I notice it most at Castaway Cay. The dining rooms are bigger, so they are louder. The pool deck is a madhouse on sea days (we go in the AM and leave after lunch). I think the ships handle it well, but it's still A LOT of people.

We are THRILLED to be getting back on the Magic in Oct. In fact, we gave up a Western on the Fantasy for a B2B on the Magic without hesitation

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Ditto above.

The pool situation is challenging on the larger ships. Lots more people trying to swim in smaller pools.

I'll take the smaller ships any day.
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We went on the Dream in april with Disney. About a month before, we went on Carn's Dream, where I waited and waited in line the entire trip for just about everything. Hotdogs, checking out at the gift shop, juice beverages, coffee, breakfast buffet, omelets, I feel like I spent half my trip in line.

I only waited in two lines on the Disney Dream. One was the aquaduck at the end of Castaway day while we watched Junglebook and took in the Castaway views. The other was getting a panini at Flo's right before Muster (which was our fault for getting on board around 2:30-3 before they closed for the Muster and lots of people were up there.)

We had no problem at all getting seats for the shows. our late dining was not crowded. We were able to sing several songs at Karaoke. We didn't both with the pools but I haven't on my last several cruises. I felt like they accommodated the crowds much better than the other cruise line did. We always wait to get back on board on CCL, with a HUGE line to check back in. Never had any lines anywhere checking on or off the ship, whether to embark, debark, or go ashore and back. Seems like they have streamlined their systems a lot faster and a lot better to me.

I haven't gotten to go on a classic ship. May try the Magic next year possibly. But the crowds at least for us weren't terrible at the time we went (which happened to be atlanta spring break).
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The larger ships mean more tourists in the tiny port towns. Castaway Cay has an additional food service area now, but there's definitely more people on the island when the Dream or Fantasy are in port.

If you want a character breakfast, you'll only find them on the classic ships, because the dining rooms on the Dream and Fantasy are too large and the tables are too close together (plus the Dream's cruises aren't long enough to accommodate everybuddy to begin with.)

DCL didn't assign port arrival times before the Dream started cruising. Now DCL staggers the PAT's so the terminal doesn't get too crowded (and to keep the fire marshal happy.)
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: