Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: My thoughts about plans for DVC at the Poly
Please dont!! This will ruin the relaxing atmosphere. 82 42.49%
One building perhaps, current plans are too much. 33 17.10%
I love all the plans as they are!!! 54 27.98%
Not sure how I feel 24 12.44%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #61
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
BLT is the reason I was able to talk DH into buying into DVC in the first place. You really can't beat the close proximity to MK especially being able to walk there and back . Not everyone likes the atmosphere of CR or BLT, but it is home for us .
We are considering a point rent for blt next trip if the poly construction is in full swing. Trying to read up all I can

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #62
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
We are considering a point rent for blt next trip if the poly construction is in full swing. Trying to read up all I can
Renting points is the best way to check out a resort (especially DVC) before diving into something that you aren't quite sure you want to do yet, so many people tend to buy in sight unseen and then hate the resort that they choose as their home resort because they thought they would like it. Hope it works out for you .
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #63
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
Renting points is the best way to check out a resort (especially DVC) before diving into something that you aren't quite sure you want to do yet, so many people tend to buy in sight unseen and then hate the resort that they choose as their home resort because they thought they would like it. Hope it works out for you .
THX! totaly depends on what we here about things at the Poly.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #64
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnik View Post
We just came home from a week at Poly. The DVC recruiter and I had a long talk re the Poly project as I told him the only resort I would purchase points for was at the Poly. At first he said there were no "current" plans for DVC at Poly. After I discussed some of the rumors and info I had gleaned from here and other places, he agreed that plans were in the "initial stages" but that Disney would not initiate them until the GF DVC units were significantly sold as Disney had been burned in the past with too many units for sale and new properties coming on line. He said that the grand villas over the lagoon were "pipe dreams" and that that the model would be like BLT and GF buildings putting more capacity in a multistory bldg. He identified the probable site for the DVC bldg as being in the Spirit of Aloha area. Take everything said with a grain of salt but it was later at night and he was not "giving the pitch" as much as passing the time with me.
I love Tikiman's site and consider it my "go to" source for all things Poly. In that regard, I have no doubt that a DVC is in the works.

My guess, however, is that things will play out somewhat slower than what's being projected there. While there may very well be substantial work done in the Volcano Pool area this fall/winter (as indicated in another Poly thread), my gut feeling is that they won't break ground on a Poly DVC until sometime in 2014 at the very earliest (I'd guess fall 2014). I also believe that while the first DVC building (near the current Luau Cove site) is a virtual certainty, the second DVC building and new pool area is more tenative, with the grand villas over the Lagoon being even more tenative.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #65
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
I love Tikiman's site and consider it my "go to" source for all things Poly. In that regard, I have no doubt that a DVC is in the works.

My guess, however, is that things will play out somewhat slower than what's being projected there. While there may very well be substantial work done in the Volcano Pool area this fall/winter (as indicated in another Poly thread), my gut feeling is that they won't break ground on a Poly DVC until sometime in 2014 at the very earliest (I'd guess fall 2014). I also believe that while the first DVC building (near the current Luau Cove site) is a virtual certainty, the second DVC building and new pool area is more tenative, with the grand villas over the Lagoon being even more tenative.
I think things might go this way as well

Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #66
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #67
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

anyone else?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #68
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

I'll finally chime in.... Hey Iger... Lets forget about the dollar and get back to what made WDW great... Customer service, making WDW affordable to everyone ( stop raising prices and downgrading services and product ....

Go back to the original dining of the 80's and stop feeding the masses for free... Quality of meals is awful now... I wouldn't give you 2 cents for any TS on property... All mostly the same... Mass produced, bland, overhyped and expensive..

That's it, back when WDW execs seem to care about the guest more than their bottom line, there were more happier CM's and guests ...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #69
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Jenny,
I did not take your poll because there was not an answere that said turn all of the poly over to DVC. For me it's the bigger the better. Build it and they will come.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #70
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post
Jenny,
I did not take your poll because there was not an answere that said turn all of the poly over to DVC. For me it's the bigger the better. Build it and they will come.
hmm I did not think of that option.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #71
BlueSkies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
I'll finally chime in.... Hey Iger... Lets forget about the dollar and get back to what made WDW great... Customer service, making WDW affordable to everyone ( stop raising prices and downgrading services and product ....

Go back to the original dining of the 80's and stop feeding the masses for free... Quality of meals is awful now... I wouldn't give you 2 cents for any TS on property... All mostly the same... Mass produced, bland, overhyped and expensive..

That's it, back when WDW execs seem to care about the guest more than their bottom line, there were more happier CM's and guests ...
Very well said Pepe ....although they have added a few nice dining options....Miss the days of resorts have several options for TS...

BlueSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #72
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
hmm I did not think of that option.
You didnt think of it because it is a horrible idea
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #73
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntconn View Post
You didnt think of it because it is a horrible idea

Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #74
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
I agree with the other poster who suggested a DVC resort on its own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
I just wish they would leave well enough alone. I understand that the DVC is a big money maker for them and that is basically their bottom line, but why take away from the charm of resorts like the GF and Poly? Like a previous poster has mentioned, bulid something somewhere else. Lord knows you have the space.

I thought they did it right with OKW and later on, SSR.
The problem with building a DVC resort "elsewhere" is being able to sell it. SSR took a long time to sell out, and AKV is taking a long time, despite being co-located with a deluxe resort.

Disney Vacation Development (DVD) has entertained building properties elsewhere, including at eagle Pines and Ft Wilderness area, but they never broke ground likely due to location and size. If someone is going to spend the amount required in start up cost and annual dues for 50 years, they are going to want it close to a park, which is why the Deluxe resorts are all getting DVC buildings.

So, how about instead of adding DVC to the Poly, what if they followed the initial rumors and turned the Poly into a DVC only resort? No? I bet there would be more fall out from that then adding a DVC section to the existing resort.

DVC members have been clamoring for a DVC section within the Poly forever, and it will sell relatively quick in comparison to other resorts. Alternatively, a stand alone DVC resort elsewhere on property would not sell well at all, and would not be built until AKV sells out. Their best shot at this would have been to place a larger stand alone resort on the EPCOT monorail line between the TTC and EPCOT, when members desperately wanted a monorail resort. Instead, they built BLT (which I personally love).

In the end, a DVC will be added to the Poly, regardless of sentiment. It will be so popular, and WDW management knows it, that if all of the Poly resort guests decide to boycott the hotel, they could simply convert the whole thing to DVC and sell out.

Sorry many don't like it, and I can understand why. However, the writing is on the wall. Personally, I won't buy points there, instead opting for additional points at BLT if we ever add on at WDW, so I am ambivalent either way.

Good luck everyone! Great topic and thread. I appreciate hearing what non-DVC WDW fans think of the DVC Poly option, as it is exciting news on the DVC threads.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #75
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
The problem with building a DVC resort "elsewhere" is being able to sell it. SSR took a long time to sell out, and AKV is taking a long time, despite being co-located with a deluxe resort.

Disney Vacation Development (DVD) has entertained building properties elsewhere, including at eagle Pines and Ft Wilderness area, but they never broke ground likely due to location and size. If someone is going to spend the amount required in start up cost and annual dues for 50 years, they are going to want it close to a park, which is why the Deluxe resorts are all getting DVC buildings.

So, how about instead of adding DVC to the Poly, what if they followed the initial rumors and turned the Poly into a DVC only resort? No? I bet there would be more fall out from that then adding a DVC section to the existing resort.

DVC members have been clamoring for a DVC section within the Poly forever, and it will sell relatively quick in comparison to other resorts. Alternatively, a stand alone DVC resort elsewhere on property would not sell well at all, and would not be built until AKV sells out. Their best shot at this would have been to place a larger stand alone resort on the EPCOT monorail line between the TTC and EPCOT, when members desperately wanted a monorail resort. Instead, they built BLT (which I personally love).

In the end, a DVC will be added to the Poly, regardless of sentiment. It will be so popular, and WDW management knows it, that if all of the Poly resort guests decide to boycott the hotel, they could simply convert the whole thing to DVC and sell out.

Sorry many don't like it, and I can understand why. However, the writing is on the wall. Personally, I won't buy points there, instead opting for additional points at BLT if we ever add on at WDW, so I am ambivalent either way.

Good luck everyone! Great topic and thread. I appreciate hearing what non-DVC WDW fans think of the DVC Poly option, as it is exciting news on the DVC threads.
I think that you made some excellent points. I understand that it probably will happen at the Poly, I guess I just hope that they keep it to one or two buildings. The plans on tikimans site are just too much. Perhaps they will keep it small so that they can be sure to always sell?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: