Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #1471
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have an idea of when the construction on the water feature will begin?

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #1472
ElenaJane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtheriot View Post
Does anyone have an idea of when the construction on the water feature will begin?
I was wondering this myself. I thought the rumor the waterfall construction was imminent, but that was weeks ago. I hope they delay for...say another 50 days (after my trip).
ElenaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #1473
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We stayed Poly CL earlier this week, and it's tough to describe. At times (like when we first drove in, when we walked into the lounge or walking to TTC) it was completely obvious and a little distracting. At other times, it wasn't noticeable. When actually sitting in the lounge, for example, we started to forget about it. And we could not see it from the pool. It was great for a short stay and because we're relatively frequent guests with APs. But for a once-a-year Disney vacation (or less frequent), I'd choose another resort.

Our 14-year-old loves Poly so much that he refuses to acknowledge the construction and would stay there in January if he could! But it will be too much for us then, so we'll split our stay between GF/BWI instead of Poly/BWI.

The CM who took us back to Hawaii didn't report on the timetable for the construction - just that it would start soon. He said the volcano pool was only undergoing a refurb, but that the volcano would remain, but that's entirely contrary to other reports, so I told our kids not to get too excited about that statement! The waterfall was in place on Tuesday evening (4/1/14)

I'll post photos as soon as I upload them to photobucket!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #1474
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
We stayed Poly CL earlier this week, and it's tough to describe. At times (like when we first drove in, when we walked into the lounge or walking to TTC) it was completely obvious and a little distracting. At other times, it wasn't noticeable. When actually sitting in the lounge, for example, we started to forget about it. And we could not see it from the pool. It was great for a short stay and because we're relatively frequent guests with APs. But for a once-a-year Disney vacation (or less frequent), I'd choose another resort.

Our 14-year-old loves Poly so much that he refuses to acknowledge the construction and would stay there in January if he could! But it will be too much for us then, so we'll split our stay between GF/BWI instead of Poly/BWI.

The CM who took us back to Hawaii didn't report on the timetable for the construction - just that it would start soon. He said the volcano pool was only undergoing a refurb, but that the volcano would remain, but that's entirely contrary to other reports, so I told our kids not to get too excited about that statement! The waterfall was in place on Tuesday evening (4/1/14)

Yes I would love to see the photos!! Another question... We aren't staying CL, nor have I ever even walked onto sunset beach before. Lol. We have always requested Samoa facing the Nanea pool and so our focus is on the pool, the beach directly behind the pool, and the GCH... Do you think we would be able to block out most of the construction if we stick to these areas?? Given, of course, they don't start the construction to the water feature
Till after our trip.. (Fingers crossed)

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #1475
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I'll include photos from a variety of different areas, just to put the construction in perspective. Again, this was as of 4/1/14.

From the upper level of the lounge:

From the lower level of the lounge:

From the pool area:

Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #1476
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes I would love to see the photos!! Another question... We aren't staying CL, nor have I ever even walked onto sunset beach before. Lol. We have always requested Samoa facing the Nanea pool and so our focus is on the pool, the beach directly behind the pool, and the GCH... Do you think we would be able to block out most of the construction if we stick to these areas?? Given, of course, they don't start the construction to the water feature
Till after our trip.. (Fingers crossed)
For non-CL stays, we always make this exact room request! And yes, I was thinking that would be a perfect spot for non-CL right now - the view towards GF is great right now and really untouched. A guest was sitting out on her patio and I was thinking her view from Samoa was quite nice!

I didn't take any photos of the route to the TTC, but it's really torn up right now. We still used in on the way to Epcot, but opted for the resort monorail back to GCH on the way back to Poly. Just a more pleasant return than walking through the construction again.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #1477
ElenaJane
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks so much for the insider scoop! So was the GCH basically untouched? Just Wyland gallery closed?
ElenaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #1478
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For non-CL stays, we always make this exact room request! And yes, I was thinking that would be a perfect spot for non-CL right now - the view towards GF is great right now and really untouched. A guest was sitting out on her patio and I was thinking her view from Samoa was quite nice!

I didn't take any photos of the route to the TTC, but it's really torn up right now. We still used in on the way to Epcot, but opted for the resort monorail back to GCH on the way back to Poly. Just a more pleasant return than walking through the construction again.
AWESOME!!! I never walk the path to the TTC anyway, we always hop one monorail to the other...I have Babies in strollers, plus I'm too lazy. Lol
Thank you for the info.. I think everything will be ok for us!!! This is my 40th bday celebration and the Poly has always had my heart since the first time I laid eyes on her I can't wait to get there

Old 04-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #1479
GoHawks2015
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the information on Poly. I am bringing my Grandchildren in Jan 2015 and I hope to stay here. I have never stayed at Poly but I wanted my grandkids to have a Disney Resort. Should I be worried about this construction ? Should I look at another resort?? Thanks for any info! This is my first post! yeah!
GoHawks2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #1480
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaJane View Post
Thanks so much for the insider scoop! So was the GCH basically untouched? Just Wyland gallery closed?
That's what we saw at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks2015 View Post
Thanks for all the information on Poly. I am bringing my Grandchildren in Jan 2015 and I hope to stay here. I have never stayed at Poly but I wanted my grandkids to have a Disney Resort. Should I be worried about this construction ? Should I look at another resort?? Thanks for any info! This is my first post! yeah!
Welcome!!! Our kids love Poly and it's great for children (and parents who would like easy access to MK!) We're returning to WDW in January 2015 and would typically stay at Poly for the first half of our vacation. But due to the anticipated construction, we are staying at GF instead. CR is another good option, and we've enjoyed it in the past, but feel GF is a better fit for our next trip.

Quote:
AWESOME!!! I never walk the path to the TTC anyway, we always hop one monorail to the other...I have Babies in strollers, plus I'm too lazy. Lol
Thank you for the info.. I think everything will be ok for us!!! This is my 40th bday celebration and the Poly has always had my heart since the first time I laid eyes on her I can't wait to get there
Have a wonderful trip!!! And Happy 40th!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #1481
dobbsjd
Earning My Ears

Smile Changes to "View" because of Construction

Hi Pixarmom! What CL "view" did you guys book for your short April stay? Tikiman's site is saying GV is being moved to face the construction Lagoon side. We are Poly veterans & have a GV CL room booked for mid May. Construction view is NOT what I want to be looking at & the (sour) CM at CR assured me at booking no changes were made to room designation related to construction. I think she may have been fibbing a little bit.... Thanks in advance for your help!!
Quote:

dobbsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #1482
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Pixarmom great photos! Can't wait for 2 weeks in August even if the pool is closed. I guess I can live with being shuttled to GF. I requested Fiji or Aotearoa to be away from construction. I love Tokelau but not for this trip.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #1483
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbsjd View Post
Hi Pixarmom! What CL "view" did you guys book for your short April stay? Tikiman's site is saying GV is being moved to face the construction Lagoon side. We are Poly veterans & have a GV CL room booked for mid May. Construction view is NOT what I want to be looking at & the (sour) CM at CR assured me at booking no changes were made to room designation related to construction. I think she may have been fibbing a little bit.... Thanks in advance for your help!!
We booked garden view club level, and requested a balcony. That's exactly what we received - yay! I read that some of the GV guests were "upgraded" to the lagoon/construction side, but we were not. Our GV was entirely covered in tree branches, which was fine for our short stay. I've been spoiled by my "3rd floor, facing volcano pool" garden views in Samoa! As much as I enjoy those, I really appreciated the convenience of staying in Hawaii and the club lounge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Pixarmom great photos! Can't wait for 2 weeks in August even if the pool is closed. I guess I can live with being shuttled to GF. I requested Fiji or Aotearoa to be away from construction. I love Tokelau but not for this trip.
Hi Sue!!! We were shuttled from BWI to BC last year while the Luna Park pool was down, and vice versa in a previous year when the jib slide was down, so I know it can be fun to participate in authorized "pool hopping!" Would love to hear what you think of the GF pools - we're staying there in January and looking forward to it!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #1484
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We booked garden view club level, and requested a balcony. That's exactly what we received - yay! I read that some of the GV guests were "upgraded" to the lagoon/construction side, but we were not. Our GV was entirely covered in tree branches, which was fine for our short stay. I've been spoiled by my "3rd floor, facing volcano pool" garden views in Samoa! As much as I enjoy those, I really appreciated the convenience of staying in Hawaii and the club lounge!

Hi Sue!!! We were shuttled from BWI to BC last year while the Luna Park pool was down, and vice versa in a previous year when the jib slide was down, so I know it can be fun to participate in authorized "pool hopping!" Would love to hear what you think of the GF pools - we're staying there in January and looking forward to it!
We stayed at GF/YC split last August. Loved the pools. Beach pool was our fav. Good slide. And enjoyed being able to look out at lagoon.
For little ones the Alice in Wonderland slips area is so cute. Hot tub is by Courtyard pool, and our room overlooked the pool. The afternoon pool party is by the courtyard pool. Loved GF. Try to catch the parasol parade!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #1485
katiebee
Earning My Ears

Thanks to all of you for the info and pictures in this thread! I posted yesterday requesting info about Poly so we could decide if we should split our trip or not and all of the info in this thread really helps us to make a decision!
katiebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: