Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #121
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
I like how this thread is called the "OFFICIAL" Poly construction thread when Disney hasnt even OFFICIALLY announced anything happening....a bunch of Poly fanboys reporting from second hand CMs constitutes OFFICIAL here I guess...I realize that it will likely happen given the direction of deluxe resorts adding DVC...but so many people on the boards are getting bent out of shape over this and we no nothing substantial yet... I say book the resort you want and when Disney announces something OFFICIAL with dates attached to it then proceed to freak out...just my two cents.
I don't think anyone here is 'bent out of shape', just having a friendly discussion about possible changes and updates. When you pay 100's of hard earned dollars to stay somewhere that means something to you, I think it is natural people are going to want to have a discussion about what those changes may be and how it could impact their vacation. I think we all realize things are still not official in many regards, I believe the original poster used that terminology to simply title this thread.
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #122
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like how this thread is called the "OFFICIAL" Poly construction thread when Disney hasnt even OFFICIALLY announced anything happening....a bunch of Poly fanboys reporting from second hand CMs constitutes OFFICIAL here I guess...I realize that it will likely happen given the direction of deluxe resorts adding DVC...but so many people on the boards are getting bent out of shape over this and we no nothing substantial yet... I say book the resort you want and when Disney announces something OFFICIAL with dates attached to it then proceed to freak out...just my two cents.
While it's true that nothing official has been announced by Disney, I can understand the concern given that Disney has a track record of not making an official anouncement until the construction is almost imminent (a recent example is the GF courtyard pool refurb, which took about 8 months but Disney didn't make an official announcement until something like 6-8 weeks before they closed the pool).

Along thoses lines, people are concerned that if they wait for an official announcement, they won't be able to change their plans to an acceptable substitite (and for many, acceptable substitute = Monorail resort).

I personally believe these changes are coming, but that as far as the Volcano Pool and GCH are concerned, major refurbs will happen slower than what everyone is speculating (I'm thinking fall of 2014 or later). For that reason, I've gone ahead and booked Poly for May of 2014.
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #123
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's the thing - this isn't just a 'rumor' from one or two CM's. Permits have already been submitted to the South Florida Water Management District (if you want to see the permits, go to this website and type 130729-2 for the Application #). Maps are included, and some of them show where the 20 waterfront bungalows will be placed. They also specify Tahiti and Rapa Nui as sites of future work. In 2011, similar permits were published showing the location of GF's DVC. Sure enough, construction began soon after, and it still took several months before Disney 'officially' announced the DVC wing.

We know Disney has serious plans for the Poly - they've already initiated the process by submitting these documents. The real question is when this work is going to begin (most likely in 2014), so people have a right to be concerned about the construction impacting their stay.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #124
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidijanesmith

We will be there 10-3 10-12, booked CL in the Hawaii building. Talked to IPO and they said that the Hawaii building is all done with new fridges. I asked about the pool and any other construction in Oct and she said no. I hope that is true. I would be very upset if the pool of GCH was under construction when we go.
From what I've heard, construction is not suppose to start until January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt
So much speculation, I wish they would just spill the beans already.
I think the reason they have not made an official announcement is because the plans are "subject to change". Originally they were going to build 2 new buildings for DVC, now they are just converting Tahiti to a DVC. There were going to be 20 over water bungalows, now there's only going to be 10. Originally they were going to remove the water feature completely from GCH, now they are going to have some sort of water feature. I doubt they will ever make a big deal about the construction, they have yet to say anything publicly about the refurbishment of the longhouses, they don't even have updated pics on their website, even though they are just about done.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #125
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
That was harsh. I agree that information should never come second hand from some CMs because most that work at the Polynesian aren’t given any information as to the future plans. Good thing I did not get my information that way

I would not expect for anything Official to be announced until the very last minute if at all. You never saw an announcement of the new rooms going in and even know when you call Disney some will tell you nothing is going on at the resort with the new rooms and we all know they are almost done without officially saying anything.

I agree that you should book the Polynesian if that is where you want to go because maybe the work going on will not bother you but just don’t complain that you were not given a heads up. If everyone might feel better if I keep my fanboy information to myself I can do that. It will give me more time to spend doing other things.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #126
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
That was harsh. I agree that information should never come second hand from some CMs because most that work at the Polynesian aren’t given any information as to the future plans. Good thing I did not get my information that way

I would not expect for anything Official to be announced until the very last minute if at all. You never saw an announcement of the new rooms going in and even know when you call Disney some will tell you nothing is going on at the resort with the new rooms and we all know they are almost done without officially saying anything.

I agree that you should book the Polynesian if that is where you want to go because maybe the work going on will not bother you but just don’t complain that you were not given a heads up. If everyone might feel better if I keep my fanboy information to myself I can do that. It will give me more time to spend doing other things.
Pay no attention to one harsh post.

Most of us certainly appreciate the information that you have been able to provide and that allows us to take everything into consideration when deciding where to stay. Thank you!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #127
Bertie131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post

Most of us certainly appreciate the information that you have been able to provide and that allows us to take everything into consideration when deciding where to stay. Thank you!
Yes--we certainly appreciate any and all info Tikiman. Don't stop please!
Bertie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #128
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tikiman. You are the best. Everyone loves what you do. A trip to WDW is magical any way you look at it, but the information you provide, and your incredible website makes peoples lives even more meaningful. My wife, son, and I would have never known about club level at the Poly if it wasn't for your work at your website. And I can say that our Hawaii Building Club Level memory will be one of the strongest on my death bed (which should be not for another 40+ years from now). Thank you so much for all that you do You are a great man!
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #129
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I also appreciate the information you share here and on your site.

As far as the use of the term "official" in the thread title is concerned (since that's what seems to have gotten the other poster's knickers in a twist), it appears intended to designate this thread as the "official" place to discuss the Poly construction on this board. The original post doesn't seek to limit the discussion to "official" Disney information and, in fact, specifically refers to rumors. What the heck is wrong with discussing rumors along with leaks, official information, what guests observe, and whatever else might come up? Sheesh.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #130
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman

I agree with what pp's have said. You do such a great job at keeping Poly lovers updated, not to mention your wonderful website...love it!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000,stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time,ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013.Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. Western Caribbean Cruise planned for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #131
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

I don’t mind keeping up the info on what is happening right now but maybe I should just keep my inside info to myself. I would never want it to cause people stress or frustration and it seems like for some people it is.

We can just wait to see what Disney says when they are ready.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #132
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post

Agree!

The information Tikiman provides is appreciated and valuable in that it gives us all a heads up to think in advance about alternatives (as opposed to being blindsided at the last minute).

For example, in my case, I went ahead and booked Poly for spring of 2014, knowing full well that, in view of Tikiman's information, there's some risk involved in doing so. But, thanks to that information, I've been given the opportunity to think through alternative strategies in the event of various refurb scenarios (e.g., Volcano Pool, GCH, restaurants, etc.). And should any of those come to fruition, I'll handle the disappointment better.

And as PP noted, the fact that permits have been put in for DVC work in the beach area around the Tahiti longhouse (as well as the fact that they haven't put the new room design in that longhouse according to their earlier schedule), is pretty strong evidence to me that Tikiman is up on Disney's current plans (keeping in mind that those are subject to change, especially with respect to timing).

Last edited by Masonmj84; 08-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #133
ribeza
Earning My Ears

Mahalo, Tikiman!

Please don't keep any info to yourselves - many of us depend on it!

We had always stayed at Value levels and were at the parks from open to close. Now that we are older (much!) we realize the deluxe resorts can be a vacation unto themselves. We stayed at BC for the 4th of July for SAB. We had thought about Poly but I didn't do enough research and only found reviews saying it was old & outdated. BC was very nice and SAB awesome.

Then I found Tikiman! Hawaii is too far for eastcoasters to go for the weekend - so - we are taking the plunge and staying CL in Sep this year - before the construction and changes to experience the real Poly. If it hadn't been for Tikiman and others, we never would have realized how beautiful Poly is.

Keep up the updates - official, unofficial and otherwise!
ribeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #134
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Please don't keep any info to yourselves - many of us depend on it!
Quote:
Keep up the updates - official, unofficial and otherwise!
This!

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #135
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I dont mind keeping up the info on what is happening right now but maybe I should just keep my inside info to myself. I would never want it to cause people stress or frustration and it seems like for some people it is.

We can just wait to see what Disney says when they are ready.

The Poly was our first resort many years ago and it our favorite resort. Our family has enjoyed your Tikiman website in our vacation planning. We have learned more information from you than WDW has been able to provide regarding the resort and longhouses. This has made our stays that much more enjoyable. Regarding the renovations, information is power. Everyone will use it differently when making the choice in booking their vacations. I would rather know what to expect than be kept in the dark. For our family, we are thrilled with the latest renovation. We just returned from Poly 7/28. The Hawaii building was the best I have ever seen it. We used the quiet pool the most. We are actually SERIOUSLY considering DVC for the first time because it is being built at the Poly. My husband wants to get photos and nosy around while construction is happening. For us, it will work. For others, it might not. Please continue to keep the information coming. It is a valuable asset to many different people in varying situations.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: