Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #1231
horse11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twocuties View Post
What is your next choice for a resort? I think all this construction just booted us out. I am heart broken over this, I LOVE the poly. I need another resort asap, I need to get this booked
We were looking into BC but decided to upgrade our DD to DDD instead so we choose CBR. You may want to look into BC. It still has a tropical feel, what looks like an outstanding pool, waking distance to Epcot, and great dining options. I thought you could also catch the Monorail from Epcot to get to MK as well. Good luck with you decision. Trust me I feel your pain.
horse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #1232
erieckers
Earning My Ears

So how long is the construction expected to last? We are staying at the Poly December 8th- 14th, should I be concerned ? This is our first time staying at the Poly
erieckers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #1233
nh grandma
Earning My Ears

Poly restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Per, Tikiman, I've heard that they plan to close down the GCH restaurants during the refurb but have not heard anything regarding the timing. If I were to wager a guess, I'd say that Captain Cook's will be worked on before Kona or 'Ohana because I'm sort of getting the impression that they're going to work on the lower floor areas of the GCH first. Purely speculating, I'd guess that Captain Cooks will end up getting closed for an extended period sometime in 2014 and Kona and 'Ohana won't be closed until 2015 ('Ohana is supposed to reopen under the same name after the refurb but I'm not sure about Kona).

It's possible that they'll open some sort of temporary/limited CS option during the closure of Captain Cooks.

Last week I spoke to reservations, as we are trying to plan for our dining. I was told that they have the permission to book Ohana and the Luau through August 2014. The girl I spoke with was surprised I thought they might not be and took some time looking this up on her computer links. So as of now, you can make reservations for both of those places. I sure do hope the CC does not close since we eat breakfast there most every morning!
nh grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #1234
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2twocuties
What is your next choice for a resort? I think all this construction just booted us out. I am heart broken over this, I LOVE the poly. I need another resort asap, I need to get this booked
We went with Beach Club- I'm heart broken as well. I spoke with someone pretty high up in management at the Polynesian (called on her direct line). She could not guarantee that the feature pool would be open in April while we are there. Sounds like dates/plans are still moving/changing quite a bit. Having the pool open is very important to us this trip so we moved, per her recommendation, to Beach Club.

2DisPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #1235
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DisPrincesses View Post
We went with Beach Club- I'm heart broken as well. I spoke with someone pretty high up in management at the Polynesian (called on her direct line). She could not guarantee that the feature pool would be open in April while we are there. Sounds like dates/plans are still moving/changing quite a bit. Having the pool open is very important to us this trip so we moved, per her recommendation, to Beach Club.
While I've never stayed at the Poly (visited many times and hope to stay some day), we stayed at the Beach Club this past summer and absolutely fell in love with it!! The kids LOVED the pool and the resort and all of it's surroundings are really beautiful! The short walk to Epcot is fabulous! You will have a great time!!

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #1236
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama belle View Post
While I've never stayed at the Poly (visited many times and hope to stay some day), we stayed at the Beach Club this past summer and absolutely fell in love with it!! The kids LOVED the pool and the resort and all of it's surroundings are really beautiful! The short walk to Epcot is fabulous! You will have a great time!!
Thanks for the reassurance...I've been sitting here feeling sorry for myself. It's ridiculous to be moping over which deluxe Disney Resort I'm staying at- first-world problems.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #1237
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance...I've been sitting here feeling sorry for myself. It's ridiculous to be moping over which deluxe Disney Resort I'm staying at- first-world problems.
I understand-- the Poly was our first choice for our trip this summer, but there are nine of us going and 5 are kids so the pool and access to MK were very important. I'm hoping to stay at the Poly in the future when all of the great renovations are finished

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #1238
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Any other tidbits she offer? We are staying YC in May but really miss my Poly. We would be staying club level garden view. I can almost deal without the pool if the Mk and Epcot monorails are ok.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #1239
2DisPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Any other tidbits she offer? We are staying YC in May but really miss my Poly. We would be staying club level garden view. I can almost deal without the pool if the Mk and Epcot monorails are ok.
Nothing concrete on the construction/pool. I believe the monorail was to be down from 11-7 in April when we were booked to stay at the Poly...not sure about May.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #1240
cafemom316
Earning My Ears

Red face frustrated

After an hour on the phone with a CM (actually 3 diff ones ) One told me construction will not start until this September 2014. I said no that's not right. he puts me on hold. I get another CM.. ugh! Then he proceeds to tell me that no pools will close, no restaraunts will close and so on.. I still have doubts on what they are telling me so I continue to question his answers he is giving me and he puts me on hold AGAIN!! I then talk to a lady who called the Poly its self and got some info. Yes there is construction, yes there is some noise, but no serious complaints yet. She didn't deny that the pool would close and she didn't deny the possibility of the monorail being down again when we go ( May 14, 2014 to May 21 2014) And then she tells me she can put me in a standard Poly room and save some money, but the lady i booked with 5 days ago said there were no standard available!! Got so frustrated!!! In the end I switched to CR. I saved $500 still on the monorail, close to MK and access to a POOL no doubt!! I think that if Disney is going to have to big of a deal going on they need to be better prepared and have the staff at disney better informed! I so had my heart on the POLY.. but its so much money to spend and have something so important go wrong. She advised me tho that if I had any doubts about being able to enjoy my vacation to switch resorts. That right there told me that more "unpredictable" changes would occur. After a phone call that lasted more than and HOUR! I'm excited to get to Disney and stay the CR again!!
cafemom316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #1241
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

On December 13 we were at the CR, and I booked a Bounce-Back for the Poly in December 2014. The CM asked me if I had noticed that there was construction going on at the Poly. Of course. The CM said that this still would be happening in December 2014 though he couldn't say how far along it would be. So, according to him, we're looking at a year from now without completion. I went ahead and booked a CL TPV, because we really want to get back to the Poly.

Two days ago DH called and added some earlier days to our reservation (dates not available at Bounce rate). The CM said "Great choice. The Hawaii building refurb is all done." DH said that we're aware of the ongoing construction. CM said that she didn't have any info about that. From what I've read here - no, she probably doesn't have the info available to her.

So, we have the reservation. And we will just wait to see how things are progressing.
DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #1242
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Hi All! I have been MIA for a while, sick kids, holidays,...blah, blah...I am going to read up on what is going on and try to update here as I find things, as always Tikiman in the BEST source of info!

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #1243
jacquelinemc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer Brett View Post
I, too, am in a similar boat as the recent posters with little kids (pool important and location, etc.). Our trip is Feb. 21 check-in and March 1 check-out. I've gone from POFQ (then found out pool is closed there during our trip) so switched to Poly (then found out about construction and possible pool closure) so switched to Wilderness Lodge (where things stand now) but now I'm very seriously considering switching back to Poly. I just can't get over how convenient the monorail to MK and to Epcot would be. We'll be at MK the most with our little ones of 5, 3, and 1. Does anyone know of any updates on the potential Volcano pool closure for the dates we'll be there (Feb. 21 - Mar. 1)? Thanks
We recently stayed at WL twice, and I don't know if people realize that the bus ride to MK is literally 5 (!!!!) minutes, no stops, no fooling! I don't know that the monorail can get you there any quicker! If you are primarily going to MK (vs Epcot) this would be an awesome resort for you!
jacquelinemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #1244
sandym718
DIS Veteran

We are staying in early March and received a letter last week. It mentioned that Sunset Point, a portion of the beach and The Neverland Club would be closed. Also mentioned the monorail closures. And that there would be work being done in the GCH. Suggested using online check in, so I wonder if the check in desk will be moved to the temporary location by that time. It did say the pools (plural) would be fully operational.

We can handle all of this, since Captain Cooks and the pools will be open. But I do find it "funny" that we received the letter 3 days AFTER we had paid in full.

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1245
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Is there any news on if this construction will/will not be done by late October 2014? We're looking at a one-night stay at the Poly for the first time before transferring to AoA, but if there's construction we're out.

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: