Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #931
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Suprised that Aotearoa doesn't get recommended more during the construction. Seems like it's farther away from the construction areas than anything else, plus it's closer to the pools at the GF.
I have been recommending it more.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #932
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I have been recommending it more.
Steve don't you run the risk of a parking lot view in that building or is the lot hidden by foliage? I have avoided thinking about that longhouse because of the potential for a parking lot view since it follows the front of the resort.
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #933
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Steve don't you run the risk of a parking lot view in that building or is the lot hidden by foliage? I have avoided thinking about that longhouse because of the potential for a parking lot view since it follows the front of the resort.
No, the parking lot stops before Tonga. There is a large garden area and the monorail track. Past that you may see the road off in the distance or the golf course but no parking lot.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #934
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Steve-

Do you believe (as i have been told) that Luau Beach will be open May 17-23 2014? Also, i know the pool would be closed but what about the path to TTC? GCH work?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #935
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Steve-

Do you believe (as i have been told) that Luau Beach will be open May 17-23 2014? Also, i know the pool would be closed but what about the path to TTC? GCH work?

Thanks!
I don't see anything that will affect the beach in front of Luau Cove.
To be honest I am surprised they have been able to keep the path to the TTC open even now but it looks like they are going to keep it open.

I have no idea when work at the GCH will start. There was some info that they were going to start it this year but it has been a while since I have heard anything on that.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #936
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
I don't see anything that will affect the beach in front of Luau Cove. To be honest I am surprised they have been able to keep the path to the TTC open even now but it looks like they are going to keep it open. I have no idea when work at the GCH will start. There was some info that they were going to start it this year but it has been a while since I have heard anything on that.
Thanks Steve and thanks for your site, You started my Poly obsession back in 2003, i am forever grateful. I may have never tried club level or the Poly for that matter My husband and DD's love it as well!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #937
karriealex

Quote:
No, the parking lot stops before Tonga. There is a large garden area and the monorail track. Past that you may see the road off in the distance or the golf course but no parking lot.
Very cool. I did not realize that. I am glad I asked you. If e can't get Fiji I will ask for that longhouse. I think it would be quite neat to see the monorail glide by.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #938
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Markers and barriers just went up out in the lagoon off the Hawaii beach where the bungalows will be. They will be directly in front most of the rooms in Hawaii between them and the castle.
That's such a shame. Any idea if it will block the view in the lounge? One of our favorite things is sitting in the lounge watching the fireworks with the music piped in.

I also wanted to express my gratitude to you, Tikiman, for all of your wonderful advice and awesome website. Yours was the first I went to when we started going to Disney years ago. It helped us get the perfect room in Tokelau and started our love for Poly. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #939
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

Obsessing about the Volcano pool right now.

We're going to WDW in Jan. for the first time ever, with our two little kids (6 and 4), and staying for five nights at Poly, from Jan. 25 thru 30. (It's a split stay, w/four nights at AKL Jambo Villas before Poly. We were actually going to do land/sea, and go on a Disney Cruise, but canceled the cruise when the 35 percent discount came out.)

So, anyway, here's the thing:

This whole trip is really all about my son (4), because he has to wear a torso cast 24/7, all year long --- for a spinal issue . . . yes, wearing a body cast for two years, now, and likely at least another year.... Which means he's never been able to swim like other kids. But: He's getting a "break" from the torso cast in January. So: Florida! Swimming! Wheee! Spending like drunken sailors!

Right?

Now . . . pool resurfacing??? Pool resurfacing??? In January???

How long does pool resurfacing take? Sounds pretty dicey.

I directly asked the reservations people about the Volcano pool, and they said, "No, no, no! The Volcano pool will not be closed in January. Only some areas of the beach will be closed then."

I sure hope they're right. Tho I gather they're often clueless?

PS: Anyone know if we can sign our kids up for the Grand Floridian kids' club, since Never Land kids club will be closed when we go to Poly? We have ADRs for 'Ohana and Kona, which tells me they expect those to be open for business in late January -- but we were told "no go!" on the kids club.

PPS: THANK YOU Tikkiman, for giving me an Aotearoa recommendation via Facebook. I did request it.
Bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #940
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

PPS: We plan to bring wetsuits for the kids, in case it's really chilly!
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #941
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

That's great your son is getting a break from his casting!

I don't know how long resurfacing takes, but if it helps at all, if the pool is closed they provide a shuttle from the beach directly to the beach at the GF and you will be allowed to use their feature pool. The quiet pool at the Poly will also still be open.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #942
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

Thank you, that's sweet!

I'm sure we'd enjoy taking a boat to GF, to go to their pool. Sounds like fun.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #943
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonacker View Post
Thank you, that's sweet!

Great attitude!
While it's a bit of an inconvenience if the Poly pool is closed it could be cool to check out the GF's pool - pool-hopping with management's blessing

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #944
karriealex

Quote:
Thank you, that's sweet!

Yes the kids can go to the Grand Floridian Kids Club. They might actually like Ohana as they have games and stuff for the kids during dinner. The kids are entertained and the parents can talk etc....
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #945
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Obsessing about the Volcano pool right now. We're going to WDW in Jan. for the first time ever, with our two little kids (6 and 4), and staying for five nights at Poly, from Jan. 25 thru 30. (It's a split stay, w/four nights at AKL Jambo Villas before Poly. We were actually going to do land/sea, and go on a Disney Cruise, but canceled the cruise when the 35 percent discount came out.) So, anyway, here's the thing: This whole trip is really all about my son (4), because he has to wear a torso cast 24/7, all year long --- for a spinal issue . . . yes, wearing a body cast for two years, now, and likely at least another year.... Which means he's never been able to swim like other kids. But: He's getting a "break" from the torso cast in January. So: Florida! Swimming! Wheee! Spending like drunken sailors! Right? Now . . . pool resurfacing??? Pool resurfacing??? In January??? How long does pool resurfacing take? Sounds pretty dicey. I directly asked the reservations people about the Volcano pool, and they said, "No, no, no! The Volcano pool will not be closed in January. Only some areas of the beach will be closed then." I sure hope they're right. Tho I gather they're often clueless? PS: Anyone know if we can sign our kids up for the Grand Floridian kids' club, since Never Land kids club will be closed when we go to Poly? We have ADRs for 'Ohana and Kona, which tells me they expect those to be open for business in late January -- but we were told "no go!" on the kids club. PPS: THANK YOU Tikkiman, for giving me an Aotearoa recommendation via Facebook. I did request it.
Also....the GF does not have a kids club anymore, but there is one at the WL.
HTH!

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: