Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #856
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyducks View Post
Your pictures look great congrats on your 5 years! - what number did you call and what number did you fax too for the poly? Thanks for your help!
Thank you!

I called the normal Disney reservations number (407) 939-5277, and then I called the Polynesian's number, which is supposed to be connected to the main call center (it's funny, because when I called, it really sounded like the Polynesian, so they must be doing some interesting things to make it "real") (407) 824-2000.

Their fax number is (407) 824-3174. I was told to fax at ten days out. The word has been (at least for a couple years now) that they throw their faxes out and don't even look at them. So I opted to make mine a little creative on the off chance that if they really do throw them out, maybe they'd give mine a second glance.

But considering the upgrade that we got, who knows?
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #857
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifaerie View Post
Thank you!

I called the normal Disney reservations number (407) 939-5277, and then I called the Polynesian's number, which is supposed to be connected to the main call center (it's funny, because when I called, it really sounded like the Polynesian, so they must be doing some interesting things to make it "real") (407) 824-2000.

Their fax number is (407) 824-3174. I was told to fax at ten days out. The word has been (at least for a couple years now) that they throw their faxes out and don't even look at them. So I opted to make mine a little creative on the off chance that if they really do throw them out, maybe they'd give mine a second glance.

But considering the upgrade that we got, who knows?
I have called the Poly direct number and if they were switching me to CRO I will eat my hat. It was strange when the person I originally talked to put the phone down to go and look and see if she could see the sign. When she came back on she said yes she could see it but couldn't leave her post long enough to go see what it said and she switched me to the marina. Why would a CRO person go through all of that?? Steve keeps saying you will only get CRO if you call that number but I seriously do not think that is true

Don't get me wrong I love Steve and what he does for us but on this I think he is incorrect.
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #858
gailinroch
Earning My Ears

This is my first post! We stayed at the Poly the first time for our honeymoon in 1974. We've loved it ever since but over the 26 or so times we've been back to Disney, we've stayed at the Yacht or Beach Club more often, especially lately - can't beat that walk to Epcot. But, next May is our 40th anniversary , so without question, we have to be at the Poly for that. I couldn't believe that I got an email pin for 35% off a week or so ago, so I don't have to sweat it out waiting for a discount. We are booked for 9 nights at garden view, Club level.

So, like I said, I really want to celebrate our 40th at the Poly but my husband is a little bummed about all the talk of construction. I think Steve and others have said that they wouldn't be doing everything all at once, right? We aren't big pool people so if the volcano pool is under construction, I figure we can just go sit by the beach on the other side of the resort or by our quiet pool. For once I'm glad I can't justify the money for LV, so anything going on to the right shouldn't bother us. (we always get 3rd floor).

My biggest concern is GCH. But we've been to the poly before when it's been going through renovation - you just don't hang out there as much. It really doesn't seem like they'd be closing Kona Cafe in May and that's the thing I care about most there. It's one of my favorite restaurants on the whole property. Also, we haven't been to Disney in a couple of year and I want to spend a lot of time at MK with all the new Fantasy Land to explore.

Almost 6 months away and I'm so excited already! I'm very glad for this thread so I can keep checking on the latest developments!
gailinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #859
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
Are you eating there? They do periodically id check the beach and because it is a busy holiday they may but I would think if you had dinner there they probably wouldn't say anything. If you cant get into Ohana, Kona is a really good restaurant also.
no not that night (Monday before Thanksgiving) are eating at Kona for breakfast our last morning! ....thought anyone could go out to the beach we are all staying on property at different resorts.

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #860
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailinroch View Post
So, like I said, I really want to celebrate our 40th at the Poly but my husband is a little bummed about all the talk of construction. I think Steve and others have said that they wouldn't be doing everything all at once, right? We aren't big pool people so if the volcano pool is under construction, I figure we can just go sit by the beach on the other side of the resort or by our quiet pool. For once I'm glad I can't justify the money for LV, so anything going on to the right shouldn't bother us. (we always get 3rd floor).

My biggest concern is GCH. But we've been to the poly before when it's been going through renovation - you just don't hang out there as much. It really doesn't seem like they'd be closing Kona Cafe in May and that's the thing I care about most there. It's one of my favorite restaurants on the whole property. Also, we haven't been to Disney in a couple of year and I want to spend a lot of time at MK with all the new Fantasy Land to explore.
I'm also planning a trip for May 2014 and am also concerned about the GCH restaurants. Given that it's looking very likely that the Volcano pool will be under construction at that time, I'd be shocked if they closed either of the GCH restaurants (Kona or 'Ohana) while the main pool is down. That would basically cut the entire soul out of the resort and, in that scenario, even with Tahiti and Rapa Nui down, I'd think they'd have to offer incredible discounts (e.g. at least 50%) to book the rest of the resort at even moderate capacity.

Along those lines, I'd note that you can still book 'Ohana and Kona up unitl 180 days from now and, in view of that, I'm assuming they plan to keep these restaurants open through at least Easter. But closing them right after Easter doesn't make sense either because, the refurbs would presumably take many months, meaning the main pool AND the GCH restaruants would be closed during the busy summer seasons. Doesn't make much business sense to do this IMO.

So I'm guessing that if they close the GCH restaurants, it won't be until fall 2014 at the earliest.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #861
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Loudest noise today was a lawn mower Construction is NOT impacting our stay. It is impacting some of the 'view' as we walked to TTC but we aren't walking there to admire foliage.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #862
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnbilly View Post
Even though this is a Poly thread, I just wanted to add something.
GF is not stuffy. Some ppl have the perception that it's stuffy because of the ornate way it looks, but I can assure you..I have stayed there with 2 toddlers, who flushed a brand new sock down the toilet when we were staying in the RPC CL & the toilet clogged & overflowed..I was mortified, but the GF was awesome about it.

This is WDW. Kids are kids & it's expected. The rooms are much larger in any of the resorts around the monorail. Don't rule anything out. Change can be good
The GF room I was in was 403 sqft (smaller than the smallest Polynesian room of 415) and the standard GF room (not including deluxe or suites) is 440 sq ft. More than 40% of the Polynesian rooms are 465 sq ft.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #863
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriealex View Post
I have called the Poly direct number and if they were switching me to CRO I will eat my hat. It was strange when the person I originally talked to put the phone down to go and look and see if she could see the sign. When she came back on she said yes she could see it but couldn't leave her post long enough to go see what it said and she switched me to the marina. Why would a CRO person go through all of that?? Steve keeps saying you will only get CRO if you call that number but I seriously do not think that is true

Don't get me wrong I love Steve and what he does for us but on this I think he is incorrect.
I’m just telling you what a front desk manager and every front desk CM I have asked has told me. They said that if someone told me they had a number that called the actual front desk then they are lying to me or they believe it was the front desk. Even to get to the back office (which is possible) you have to be forwarded because those numbers are not public. If front desk managers and staff do not know how things work then a lot of my information must be wrong.

I have heard stories that they try to be very convincing at making you believe they are at the resort.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #864
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailinroch View Post
This is my first post! We stayed at the Poly the first time for our honeymoon in 1974. We've loved it ever since but over the 26 or so times we've been back to Disney, we've stayed at the Yacht or Beach Club more often, especially lately - can't beat that walk to Epcot. But, next May is our 40th anniversary , so without question, we have to be at the Poly for that. I couldn't believe that I got an email pin for 35% off a week or so ago, so I don't have to sweat it out waiting for a discount. We are booked for 9 nights at garden view, Club level.

Almost 6 months away and I'm so excited already! I'm very glad for this thread so I can keep checking on the latest developments!
Welcome!!!!!

I got the same pin code as well and booked right away. We are a bit concerned as well. Dd10 and I had a long talk last night about all the changes. She has an equal say in where we stay. The resort is a HUGE part of the stay for us, and she (me too) is absolutely IN LOVE with Poly. We were there two months ago, and we did not get to stay there in 2012 after having spent four years in a row there. Going back this past August was really, really special for her, and she said it made her appreciate the resort that much more. I have to say I feel the same way.

When I told her the Volcano Pool as well as parts of the GCH may be down, she was quite upset. A daily swim is a must for us, and a slide is a must for dd10. The quiet pool wasn't quite cutting it for her. I told her that I read here of the possibility of using the pool at GF, and she felt a little better about having that option. She wasn't all that concerned if Ohana and Kona were down, as long as Capt. Cook's was open. Go figure.

We talked about the possibility of staying at either a different resort on the monorail, or possibly YC or BC because of SAB. She LOVES being on the monorail, which I get. For us, the monorail is part of the magic. She's not interested in GF, and we have stayed at CR many, many times. For me, CR would be ok, but we both are in love with the atmosphere at Poly.

So, we will likely tough it out just to be at Poly. I told her we will keep our eyes on what is going on. The bottom line for us is we are Poly people through and through (as another poster said), and we will likely deal with a few inconveniences to be at our favorite resort.

Welcome again!!!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #865
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Tikiman/Steve reporting on FB that the pool renovations are said to take 8-12 months.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #866
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Tikiman/Steve reporting on FB that the pool renovations are said to take 8-12 months.
This is what I am afraid of - I don't want to be there without the pool. I can deal with the walls. Did he say when it is expected to start?

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #867
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
The GF room I was in was 403 sqft (smaller than the smallest Polynesian room of 415) and the standard GF room (not including deluxe or suites) is 440 sq ft. More than 40% of the Polynesian rooms are 465 sq ft.
Just to clarify, I wasn't comparing the sizes of Poly vs GF rooms. I was saying that the rooms on the monorail are some of the larger rooms. I've stayed in BC many times, & those rooms are definitely smaller. CR rooms are big too.
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #868
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
This is what I am afraid of - I don't want to be there without the pool. I can deal with the walls. Did he say when it is expected to start?

I guess the sources were saying March....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #869
CT Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I wonder how the folks with GF reservations are feeling about this. I'm assuming their themed pools will be pretty crowded for the next year or so with the Poly people using those facilities.

CT Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #870
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Disney View Post
I wonder how the folks with GF reservations are feeling about this. I'm assuming their themed pools will be pretty crowded for the next year or so with the Poly people using those facilities.
I have a GF reservation, but I am not worried. GF has two good sized pools, and I am going at the end of August, which tends to be slower anyway. As long as I have a pool to go to, I'm happy.

What I didn't want was to make a Poly reservation and have to end up at the GF anyway...so I just booked GF.

PAST TRIPS:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: