Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #841
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhebron View Post
I am terribly disappointed about the Poly construction going on. No wonder it was so easy for me to get a standard room under the SPD deal. All of the standard rooms at CR were sold out. We are going to stick it out and try to make the best of it.

I am still not clear whether the main pool will be completely closed in February. We are staying the week of Feb 9th. I guess it isn't a deal breaker though. I really want to stay close to MK. Contemporary standard rooms are sold out. GF is not an option (looks stuffy and I have a rowdy 3 year-old boy) and WL doesn't appeal to me. Guess I will suck it up!
I am not trying to be mean at all believe me but if you go into it with that kind of attitude you are not going to enjoy yourself, All resorts at times need work, Disney at least sent out letters. Any other resort would not have and you would have gotten quite a surprise when you got there. Believe me it happened to is at Portofino Bay
Old 10-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #842
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhebron View Post
I am terribly disappointed about the Poly construction going on. No wonder it was so easy for me to get a standard room under the SPD deal. All of the standard rooms at CR were sold out. We are going to stick it out and try to make the best of it. I am still not clear whether the main pool will be completely closed in February. We are staying the week of Feb 9th. I guess it isn't a deal breaker though. I really want to stay close to MK. Contemporary standard rooms are sold out. GF is not an option (looks stuffy and I have a rowdy 3 year-old boy) and WL doesn't appeal to me. Guess I will suck it up!
Even though this is a Poly thread, I just wanted to add something.
GF is not stuffy. Some ppl have the perception that it's stuffy because of the ornate way it looks, but I can assure you..I have stayed there with 2 toddlers, who flushed a brand new sock down the toilet when we were staying in the RPC CL & the toilet clogged & overflowed..I was mortified, but the GF was awesome about it.

This is WDW. Kids are kids & it's expected. The rooms are much larger in any of the resorts around the monorail. Don't rule anything out. Change can be good
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

samnbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #843
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

The gf reminds me of the hotel in the movie the shining lol!!!!
But if need be i would put my fears away and stay happily.
So if we were effected by anything we would have gotten a letter?
Gch is my concern...thats my deal breaker. I have 3 adrs there at ohana. I would imagine shutting down that while still having adrs would be a pain...
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #844
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPooh View Post
The gf reminds me of the hotel in the movie the shining lol!!!!
But if need be i would put my fears away and stay happily.
So if we were effected by anything we would have gotten a letter?
Gch is my concern...thats my deal breaker. I have 3 adrs there at ohana. I would imagine shutting down that while still having adrs would be a pain...
If your ADR's were going to be effected I am sure they would contact you so that you could make alternate plans. I am sure Disney doesn't want you to get there and then attempt to make other dining arrangements as it would be really hard to get them at that short notice.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #845
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnbilly View Post
Even though this is a Poly thread, I just wanted to add something.
GF is not stuffy. Some ppl have the perception that it's stuffy because of the ornate way it looks, but I can assure you..I have stayed there with 2 toddlers, who flushed a brand new sock down the toilet when we were staying in the RPC CL & the toilet clogged & overflowed..I was mortified, but the GF was awesome about it.

This is WDW. Kids are kids & it's expected. The rooms are much larger in any of the resorts around the monorail. Don't rule anything out. Change can be good
I agree . We had the visited the GF many times before staying there and I will be the first to admit that I had no desire to ever stay there because I always thought it felt "stuffy" and just visiting didn't give me a good feeling. My views quickly changed the first time I stayed there. Our favorite resort is the Poly, but the GF runs a close second. It's a beautiful resort and the CMs (especially the CL CMs) are amazing .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #846
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I agree . We had the visited the GF many times before staying there and I will be the first to admit that I had no desire to ever stay there because I always thought it felt "stuffy" and just visiting didn't give me a good feeling. My views quickly changed the first time I stayed there. Our favorite resort is the Poly, but the GF runs a close second. It's a beautiful resort and the CMs (especially the CL CMs) are amazing .
Thanks for all the positive thoughts on the GF! I think we are leaning towards staying there since the Poly pool will be closed. We have only briefly visited, but I'm sure staying there is a completely different experience. My kids are warming up to the idea- we can just save our first Poly stay for after all the great improvements are made

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #847
bama belle
Mouseketeer

Sorry- double post

bama belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #848
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

I appreciate seeing all the good reviews of GF too! We are Poly loyalists but trying a different resort for our next trip and I just can't decide between GF, CR, and BC!
Was just very unsure of atmosphere at GF!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #849
starousse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We wanted Poly for August 2014. DVC construction would have been tolerable. But the GCH and pool being out of commission is a deal-breaker.

Word is that people who are booked for Poly from April - August are getting notices that the pool will be out of commission, so they will be "shuttled" to GF.

Deal breaker. For July 2014, you might want to stick with GF. Just my $.02.

I can't imagine anyone in the right state of mind being okay with spending five or six hundred a night at the Poly to get shipped by a shuttle to use the pool at another hotel. That's insane. For that matter, I'd rather just stay at another hotel.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #850
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
I can't imagine anyone in the right state of mind being okay with spending five or six hundred a night at the Poly to get shipped by a shuttle to use the pool at another hotel. That's insane. For that matter, I'd rather just stay at another hotel.
I sure wouldn't be happy about it.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #851
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

We just checked into the Poly today at around noon and the monorail was up and working. The front desk clerk said it was down all last week but would be up off and on during day this week.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #852
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama belle View Post
Thanks for all the positive thoughts on the GF! I think we are leaning towards staying there since the Poly pool will be closed. We have only briefly visited, but I'm sure staying there is a completely different experience. My kids are warming up to the idea- we can just save our first Poly stay for after all the great improvements are made
You're welcome . The GF really is a great resort and I think you will have a great time staying there. It's weird how actually staying there gives you a different perspective vs just visiting (at least that's how it was for me ). The Poly is amazing and the volcano pool is actually our favorite pool on property, so I think waiting until the improvements are made is a good choice for a first stay .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
I appreciate seeing all the good reviews of GF too! We are Poly loyalists but trying a different resort for our next trip and I just can't decide between GF, CR, and BC!
Was just very unsure of atmosphere at GF!
The GF is a beautiful resort and is worth a try, IMO. We haven't stayed at the CR, but between the GF and BC, my choice would be the GF without hesitation. The BC is a great resort and it's very convenient being within walking distance to Epcot, but the GF atmosphere and being close to MK is more appealing to me .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #853
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
You can get Poly reservations for a lot less than that with the discounts, Personally I don't have a problem taking a launch to another resort to use the pool the pool is only a tiny part of our vacation. I stayed at CR twice an would not recommend it. Too sterile, too much concrete and reminds me of an airport.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #854
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Just returned from the Poly yesterday. We stayed in Tokelau and hardly noticed the construction except when we walked to the TTC, (which we had to do quite often with the monorail down). I never heard any typical construction noises from our room. It was our first time there and I Loved the resort and the feel of it, especially at night with the torches burning. We were very upset over the monorail being down during the day and had to be creative with our transportation but in the end made the best of it. With that being said when I booked our bounceback I chose to do POR for the free dining next fall. With all of the construction at the Poly I didn't want to take the chance. Also since our next trip is 12 days it was going to make it a little easier to afford at POR. I would absolutely stay at the Poly again but I am going to wait for the construction to end before I do so!

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #855
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Here now in Tokelau. Green fences are up along the beach toward Tahiti and near the path to the TTC - that's it for construction that we notice which is barely anything!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: