Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #796
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Hi all, hearing that fences at the pool should go up January .

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #797
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Hi all, hearing that fences at the pool should go up January .
And the pool/slide work will start in March...which I think is so odd...you'd think the fence would be last.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #798
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney84 View Post
Sorry for jumping in....My family and I are booked to stay at Poly from Nov 10-15...I requested Tokelau, of course the end rooms, 3914 to be exact...if we are granted that room, wishing, I am wondering by then, will the fences be higher, possibly making the views not as good? Cant remember how high the 3rd floor is in that bldg. Just curious from recent visitors, opinions please. Thanks in advance
We just stayed in 3914!

When we got there, only the short fencing was up, but by the time we left, the chainlink temporary fencing was up, and it was blocked with cover-up. Being up on the third floor, we could still see everything just fine; there were no obstructed views from the fencing. If you're on the second floor, you would definitely have problems.
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #799
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
And the pool/slide work will start in March...which I think is so odd...you'd think the fence would be last.
Tikiman has said they are planning on pool resurfacing in January and then the major stuff (volcano etc) in March.

I'm so happy we've cancelled our pre-cruise stay in March and booked a few days with the fall discount for the first week of December instead! I can deal with the DVC construction since it's not right in your face, but having construction walls smack in the middle of the resort isn't so magical (especially with GCH stuff probably going on at the same time too)

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #800
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
I thought it was odd also but it may be that they have to be in compliance with the law by the begining of the year. Im sure they will have to extend the fence for the new pool deck when they do that.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #801
Tikiman

There are guests that have reservations in April and even out to August of next year that are being told the pool will be closed and they will have to shuttle over to the Grand Floridian pool.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #802
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
There are guests that have reservations in April and even out to August of next year that are being told the pool will be closed and they will have to shuttle over to the Grand Floridian pool.
Well, that solidifies the fact that I have made the right choice in not booking for next August.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #803
starousse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, that solidifies the fact that I have made the right choice in not booking for next August.
Yes. I booked at WL for May and was thinking of changing to the Poly. I'll be staying where I am.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #804
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I switched our May 2014 ressies over to CR garden wing a month or so ago in view of this (and the GCH construction).

I'm still planning ADRs for 'Ohana and Kona (crossing fingers these will be open) but am feeling like that might not be quite enough of a Poly fix. So, I'm thinking about splitting off a couple of nights for a GV room at the Poly, especially if I can score a 35% discount (haven't been since they redid the rooms and have always wanted to check that out).

Would also provide an opportunity to check out the GF pools without too much inconvenience (since we'd probably only go over there once).

Just hoping if I do this, the construction walls around the pool, GCH (and in-between) won't be too much of an ambinance detractor and that there will still be somewhere along the beach where we can get a relatively unobstructed view of Wishes.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #805
Disney84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifaerie View Post
We just stayed in 3914!

When we got there, only the short fencing was up, but by the time we left, the chainlink temporary fencing was up, and it was blocked with cover-up. Being up on the third floor, we could still see everything just fine; there were no obstructed views from the fencing. If you're on the second floor, you would definitely have problems.
Wow, thank you for the heads up!! Do you have any pictures from the balcony showing the fencing and construction?? I may think about requesting another bldg. Hmmmm.

PS: Did you request that room or did you get it by potluck? Just curious.
2011-Off Property (MK/EPCOT/HS)
2011-POLY (MK/EPCOT/HS) MNSSHP
2013-POLY (MK,EPCOT,HS,AK) MVMCP...twice
2014-October...AOA, MNSSHP

"We Have Our Heading..."
Disney84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #806
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
I thought it was odd also but it may be that they have to be in compliance with the law by the begining of the year. Im sure they will have to extend the fence for the new pool deck when they do that.
When you said fences up I thought that meant construction fences.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #807
Disaholic73
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Tiki - follow you constantly as the Poly is the only place I ever stay. However I have made reservations for the marathon weekend from Jan 8-14 at the wilderness lodge due to the pool resurfacing speculation and that I really don't want to spend what I would spend if I cannot use the Volcano Pool. Also, I always request Samoa first floor Volcano facing as I absolutely love walking out of my room and seeing that beautiful pool. Anyway, have any possible dates been rumored as to when the resurfacing will take place? Or at the very least which part of the month of January it will begin? I will switch from WL to Poly if I know that the pool will be open during that time. Thanks
Disaholic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #808
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaholic73 View Post
Tiki - follow you constantly as the Poly is the only place I ever stay. However I have made reservations for the marathon weekend from Jan 8-14 at the wilderness lodge due to the pool resurfacing speculation and that I really don't want to spend what I would spend if I cannot use the Volcano Pool. Also, I always request Samoa first floor Volcano facing as I absolutely love walking out of my room and seeing that beautiful pool. Anyway, have any possible dates been rumored as to when the resurfacing will take place? Or at the very least which part of the month of January it will begin? I will switch from WL to Poly if I know that the pool will be open during that time. Thanks
No dates but it seems to me in conversations it sounds like beginning of January but that is a guess on my part. Also you never know when they are going to change dates even when they have dates. It seems like there is a break between the two activities going on at the pool in February but if dates for the January stuff get pushed out than you never know about February. If I had to place money down on when the pool will be open I don’t know that I would feel comfortable with that until late next year…like after September. No one at the resort seems to be being told much, in fact I had someone there tell me I know more than they are being told (not what I wanted to hear). Seems like the part of Disney planning this work is not sharing much with the Polynesian or Disney Travel. Even I am only getting bits and pieces so I am trying to put the puzzle together also.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #809
Disaholic73
Earning My Ears

Quote:
No dates but it seems to me in conversations it sounds like beginning of January but that is a guess on my part. Also you never know when they are going to change dates even when they have dates. It seems like there is a break between the two activities going on at the pool in February but if dates for the January stuff get pushed out than you never know about February. If I had to place money down on when the pool will be open I don’t know that I would feel comfortable with that until late next year…like after September. No one at the resort seems to be being told much, in fact I had someone there tell me I know more than they are being told (not what I wanted to hear). Seems like the part of Disney planning this work is not sharing much with the Polynesian or Disney Travel. Even I am only getting bits and pieces so I am trying to put the puzzle together also.

I was afraid there was going to still be a crystal ball answer and nothing hard and fast as of yet. I will continue to mull it over. I know I will regret it if I don't end of staying there, as much as I love the WL as my second choice resort at Disney World.
Disaholic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #810
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Quote:
Yep. Same here. We are Poly peeps through and through but we will be at the WL this August. Won't be back to the Poly until all of the construction is finished. It really is exciting following all of the changes coming to our favorite resort though.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: