Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #781
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
If monorail is closed between 11-6pm how will I get my mom the MK in her ECV for a 4pm dinner? The ferry that goes to the resorts is too small and won't allow ecvs.
Rather than deal with the bus, you could go to the TTC and catch the express MK monorail, or take the large ferry boat.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #782
jiminy.cricket
Disneyphile Extraordinare

Great idea! The Poly is right next to the TTC--within walking distance. There's the solution!
jiminy.cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #783
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
Rather than deal with the bus, you could go to the TTC and catch the express MK monorail, or take the large ferry boat.
Awesome! I figured the entire monorail ring around the MK was closed during that time. Walking to the TTC works perfectly. Thanks! One less stress! LOL
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #784
Slade
Earning My Ears

Ok, so here's my time sensitive to stay at Poly or not due to construction question - although we've dined there many times at O'hana and Kona, we've never actually stayed there. We currently have a mid-Feb trip booked at AOA, but with the new 2014 room only discounts launching tomorrow , we're thinking of switching to the Poly since the discount is a little better and no Stay,Play, Dine will be offered for AOA . So...what's the best guess on how much the construction will impact a first time stay in mid-Feb?
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #785
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

I only read a few pages but is there any news on O'hana? Will it remain open?

DF and I are getting married in February and we have planned our farewell breakfast for O'hana. We have a 30 person reservation so I was just wondering if I should switch now or wait it out?

We're also planning on getting our engagement pictures taken in November at the Poly and now I'm concerned with all the construction. We wanted to take pictures on the beach with the castle in the background but now I'm not sure if that's possible.

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #786
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorgan711 View Post
I only read a few pages but is there any news on O'hana? Will it remain open?

DF and I are getting married in February and we have planned our farewell breakfast for O'hana. We have a 30 person reservation so I was just wondering if I should switch now or wait it out?
I've been following this thread quite closely and have yet to see anything about 'Ohana closing at a specific time (same goes with Kona).

All I've seen is that it will likely close for an extended period (and later reopen) at some time within the next two years but no one knows when.

FWIW, as of today, you can make ADRs for 'Ohana for 180 days out (up through the first week of April 2014).
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #787
SMorgan711
It all starts with a wish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
I've been following this thread quite closely and have yet to see anything about 'Ohana closing at a specific time (same goes with Kona).

All I've seen is that it will likely close for an extended period (and later reopen) at some time within the next two years but no one knows when.

FWIW, as of today, you can make ADRs for 'Ohana for 180 days out (up through the first week of April 2014).
Thanks for the update. I'm sure with the GCH, Tahiti and new building construction, O'hana and Kona will be further down the list then anything. I'll follow closely! I love the Poly.

We stayed at the Poly in Dec 2011, TPV, 3rd floor Tahiti 40% off. What a magical experience. It really was a once in a life time trip!

1990 Poly | 1991 CB | 1994 POFQ | 1995 ASSp | Apr 1999 ASMu | Apr 2002 POR | 2004-2005 (New Years) WL | Oct 2008 SoG | Jan 2009 SoG | Sep 2009 POR | Feb 2011 AKL (JUST ENGAGED!) | Dec 2011 Poly | Oct 2012 BWI | Nov 2013 POFQ | Feb 2014 YC (DFTW!) |

SMorgan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #788
BijouJohnson
SecretDisneyGeek

RN and Tahiti still open?

Hi guys. Thanks for all the info here! I'll be checking into Poly 10/20 (which makes the next 2 weeks the longest....2 weeks....ever.....). Do we know if RN and Tahiti are still open? Even with all the fencing and construction around it?

Thanks!!
BijouJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #789
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post

I have ADRs at both for my trip in the first week of April. Not sure what they did when Cali Grill underwent construction, but I would think they would have the foresight to not allow ADRs during their construction timeline as to not make people mad and cancel ADRs that were already made. That was actually my make or break for staying at Poly as DH really wants Kona breakfast and dinner and I'm curious to try 'Ohana for the experience.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #790
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissafox18 View Post
I have ADRs at both for my trip in the first week of April. Not sure what they did when Cali Grill underwent construction, but I would think they would have the foresight to not allow ADRs during their construction timeline as to not make people mad and cancel ADRs that were already made. That was actually my make or break for staying at Poly as DH really wants Kona breakfast and dinner and I'm curious to try 'Ohana for the experience.
I believe they stopped taking ADRs for Cali Grill about 6 months prior to closure. In addition, staff at that restaurant were apprised of the closing way before that (our server knew about it as early as February 2012 and they didn't close the restaurant until about a year later). Along those lines, I haven't heard a thing about staff at Kona or 'Ohana being told that their restaurants are going to be closed over a specific timie frame.

That being said, the situation at Poly seems, to me, to be a lot more fluid (and unpredictable) than it was at the Contemporary when they were redoing Cali Grill. There's just a lot more going on with the Poly refurb and, hence, a lot more combinations and permutations in the way they could ultimately go about doing things. My guess (pure speculation) is that 'Ohana and Kona are currently planned to be on the back end of the overall GCH refurb but plans could change.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #791
Disney84
Earning My Ears

Sorry for jumping in....My family and I are booked to stay at Poly from Nov 10-15...I requested Tokelau, of course the end rooms, 3914 to be exact...if we are granted that room, wishing, I am wondering by then, will the fences be higher, possibly making the views not as good? Cant remember how high the 3rd floor is in that bldg. Just curious from recent visitors, opinions please. Thanks in advance
2011-Off Property (MK/EPCOT/HS)
2011-POLY (MK/EPCOT/HS) MNSSHP
2013-POLY (MK,EPCOT,HS,AK) MVMCP...twice
2014-October...AOA, MNSSHP

"We Have Our Heading..."
Disney84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #792
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney84 View Post
Sorry for jumping in....My family and I are booked to stay at Poly from Nov 10-15...I requested Tokelau, of course the end rooms, 3914 to be exact...if we are granted that room, wishing, I am wondering by then, will the fences be higher, possibly making the views not as good? Cant remember how high the 3rd floor is in that bldg. Just curious from recent visitors, opinions please. Thanks in advance
The fence should not be higher than the second floor but keep in mind that 2914 and 3914 are lagoon view catagory. They do sometimes put people with standard room reservations in those rooms but make sure if you ask for those rooms you don't get the additional charge.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #793
Disney84
Earning My Ears

Thanks Tikiman!! I thought about that being a Lagoon View, when I put the request in, of the CM did not express that, hey we'll see, you never know. But I will make sure we do not charged extra, we booked with the 30%off rate. Are there any recent visitors with a shot of the view from those rooms???
2011-Off Property (MK/EPCOT/HS)
2011-POLY (MK/EPCOT/HS) MNSSHP
2013-POLY (MK,EPCOT,HS,AK) MVMCP...twice
2014-October...AOA, MNSSHP

"We Have Our Heading..."
Disney84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #794
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney84 View Post
Thanks Tikiman!! I thought about that being a Lagoon View, when I put the request in, of the CM did not express that, hey we'll see, you never know. But I will make sure we do not charged extra, we booked with the 30%off rate. Are there any recent visitors with a shot of the view from those rooms???
It would not hurt to ask and you may get it for no additional charge.

Here is 2419 from my last year stay. 3rd floor was about the same view. The castle and fireworks are through the trees on the side of the balcony.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #795
Tikiman

There are some more views from Tokelau farther down the building that can see the castle. Look at the gallery on this page.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/qui.../quick-tokelau

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: