Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #736
apocalyps3
Earning My Ears

Walkway

Does anyone know if the walkway from the Polynesian to the Transportation Center is still open?
apocalyps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #737
disneyquilter
Just keep swimmin'...

This may have been covered already, but I will ask anyway

We have never stayed at the Poly before and we plan on going for our huge family trip (12 days with 8 people) in June/July 2015. Will construction be completed by June/July 2015?

Thanks for your input, in advance

Disneyland...Premium AP since '94...too many trips to count *~* WDW...2005 ASM/CSR ~ 2007 POFQ ~ 2009 CSR ~ 2012 CBR ~ 2015 Wilderness Lodge ~ 2017 AKL
disneyquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #738
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyquilter View Post

We have never stayed at the Poly before and we plan on going for our huge family trip (12 days with 8 people) in June/July 2015. Will construction be completed by June/July 2015?

Construction will not likely be completed by then.

Everything I've read has indicated late 2015/early 2016. So I would not expect it to be complete any time before Christmas of 2015 (especially given Disney's track record of delaying/extending projects).

From what I can gather, they plan to redo the pool and take the water feature out of the GCH in 2014. Based on that, I'm speculating that the 2015 construction will include continued work on the GCH (perhaps re-doing the upstairs restaurants) and substantial work on the bungalos.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #739
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyquilter View Post

While I am no expert I would agree that it will not be all done by then.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #740
disneyquilter
Just keep swimmin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Construction will not likely be completed by then.

Everything I've read has indicated late 2015/early 2016. So I would not expect it to be complete any time before Christmas of 2015 (especially given Disney's track record of delaying/extending projects).

From what I can gather, they plan to redo the pool and take the water feature out of the GCH in 2014. Based on that, I'm speculating that the 2015 construction will include continued work on the GCH (perhaps re-doing the upstairs restaurants) and substantial work on the bungalos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
While I am no expert I would agree that it will not be all done by then.
A little bummed, but what can you do? We are still far out enough to have a 2nd choice option available to us I really don't want to make a reservation with Poly if the GCH will be in a shambles, so to speak. Now we have to find that 2nd choice

Disneyland...Premium AP since '94...too many trips to count *~* WDW...2005 ASM/CSR ~ 2007 POFQ ~ 2009 CSR ~ 2012 CBR ~ 2015 Wilderness Lodge ~ 2017 AKL
disneyquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #741
matynurse
Mouseketeer

I know y'all have been answering the same questions over and over and I read through the last few pages, but how much construction do you think will be going on through the 2nd week in Dec? This is the 1st trip I finally bit the bullet and paid out for us to do a split stay, first CBR then over to our dream resort the Poly. Mainly concerned about the GCH, and the pool as we have a few down days planned for kids to swim and us to chill.

matynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #742
Kebby
Mouseketeer

I think no one is 100% sure, but from what I have read it sounds like the pool and GCH will still be ok in early december. I think it is January that the pool and more extensive work there begin. I am also there the first and second week of Dec
Kebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #743
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matynurse View Post
I know y'all have been answering the same questions over and over and I read through the last few pages, but how much construction do you think will be going on through the 2nd week in Dec? This is the 1st trip I finally bit the bullet and paid out for us to do a split stay, first CBR then over to our dream resort the Poly. Mainly concerned about the GCH, and the pool as we have a few down days planned for kids to swim and us to chill.
Based on reports some work has started on the GCH, but it seems minimal so far (Kona coffee bar currently). There has been a lot of talk about the water feature in the lobby, so my guess is that would be the first major thing they will tackle, but no idea when.

According to Tikiman's info the pool work shouldn't start until January.

I wonder if nothing too major will start on the GCH before then either with the bigger crowds through the holidays?

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #744
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebby View Post
I think no one is 100% sure, but from what I have read it sounds like the pool and GCH will still be ok in early december. I think it is January that the pool and more extensive work there begin. I am also there the first and second week of Dec
We are also there the first week of December, so my opinions are probably just a lot of wishful thinking on my part!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #745
matynurse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
We are also there the first week of December, so my opinions are probably just a lot of wishful thinking on my part!
Well it's probably my wishful thinking that is going to take your opinion as the gospel Here's hoping we all have a good week!! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by matynurse; 09-30-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #746
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalyps3 View Post
Does anyone know if the walkway from the Polynesian to the Transportation Center is still open?

Yes, we used it everyday for the past week, including today.
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #747
DeborahB
Mouseketeer

I'm leaving 2 weeks from today!!

Can anyone tell me if the Kona Coffee Bar is closed in the GCH? I like to grab a drink on our way to the monorail.

Not sure exactly what they are doing construction wise in there. Thanks!
DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #748
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
I'm leaving 2 weeks from today!!

Can anyone tell me if the Kona Coffee Bar is closed in the GCH? I like to grab a drink on our way to the monorail.

Not sure exactly what they are doing construction wise in there. Thanks!
The work at the Kona Island Coffee had nothing to do with the renovations of the GCH. They had some work that I hear had somethign to do with the refrigerators and it should have opened back up this weekend.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #749
matynurse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
The work at the Kona Island Coffee had nothing to do with the renovations of the GCH. They had some work that I hear had somethign to do with the refrigerators and it should have opened back up this weekend.
I've been reading your website, and your facebook page, thanks for all f the info!! Now I'm going to be a pain, haha, and ask your opinion on Dec at Poly and what longhouse do you suggest I request? I don't want to chance it as this is our 1st and hope not last trip staying there
Thanks!!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #750
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matynurse View Post
I've been reading your website, and your facebook page, thanks for all f the info!! Now I'm going to be a pain, haha, and ask your opinion on Dec at Poly and what longhouse do you suggest I request? I don't want to chance it as this is our 1st and hope not last trip staying there
Thanks!!
Depending on your view. I would suggest Fiji or Tuvalu. The back side of Tuvalu is garden view and all of Fiji is garden view. These two are on the other side of the resort but still close to the GCH. This is where I am requesting when we go down in December. If you want to be close to the volcano pool then I would suggest Samoa. This is on the side with the but a bit away from it. The front faces the volcano pool and the back faces the quiet pool. I am not sure where to tell you if you have a lagoon or theme park view.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: