Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #706
mbowk99
Earning My Ears

Nooooo!!! Boo!

I was hoping it wouldn't really get underway until next year.

This will be our first visit to the Poly.
mbowk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #707
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Oh boy that's a shame. I just looked quick on tikiman FB page , they are big standard chain link fences. I could not even tell where they were I looked so fast. Good luck to you!
This morning Tikiman has posted more pics on FB that show green shrouds/covers going over the fences. I'm thinking this is an attempt to help them blend in more with the Poly's gardens and greenery and so that guests don't have to be looking directly at all of the mess and equipment, etc.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #708
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowk99 View Post
Nooooo!!! Boo!

I was hoping it wouldn't really get underway until next year.

This will be our first visit to the Poly.
I am so glad I changed resorts, No way I wanted my first stay at Poly to be ruined by ugly construction and walls it just distracts from the ambience of the resort especially for a first timer

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #709
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

I leave for Disney next Friday for the weekend. I am staying at Pop Century but have to be at the Poly for an art show. I will try and get pictures of the construction at that point and post them.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #710
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifaerie View Post
Chain-linked fences going up right now behind Tokelau.

The construction view request cast some magic. They gave us the very last room in the building (on one end), so we have a view of the lagoon, Grand Floridian, Magic Kingdom, and the construction! I almost cried when we looked out our window. We are very lucky!
That request did work well for you! If you can take photos or post info, please do But of course, ENJOY your vacation!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleK1974 View Post
Someone posted on Tikiman's facebook that they are there right now, staying CL TPV and glad they are leaving today because their view is ruined.
Anyone have any pictures from the field showing the "ruined" view?
I am considering jumping over to CR before they get all booked up....

I was one that was trying to keep a positive attitude and think that they wouldn't destroy the view and A: not tell anyone and\or B: not offer to make it up in some way....
*sigh*
Oh, that is sad I could completely understanding being upset after you PAID for a specific view.

We only stay standard view so I've only been pleased with the view. But I also rarely sit around staring out the window at Disney. It was only on this last trip to the Poly in May with a friend of mine that she MADE me sit on the balcony and drink my coffee. I am a go go go go go person so I was very uncomfortable spending precious moments sitting but it ended up being fabulous and we did that every morning before going to the parks. With FP+, I am so excited that I can enjoy my coffee in the morning without worrying about grabbing that elusive FP for Soarin' or Aerosmith or Space - you know what I mean!

And after traveling a lot for work, anything other than the 'highway' or 'parking lot' view is a nice change!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #711
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

So I just got a good look at the photos on tikimans fb page, what building is that fence right in front of? Seems like if your had first floor you would stare right at the fence?

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #712
Abbey213
Earning My Ears

Okay so I'm going 11/13-11/20 staying at poly for me and DH honeymoon. I'm finding all these pictures of construction and closings and I have to say I am a little upset. I'm paying close to 520 a night and disney has not mentioned one thing to me about any construction. Is it worth changing hotels? I know you don't spend the whole time at the resort but its our honey moon we do want to spend half days lounging and relaxing at the resort too. It's DH first time and i want it to be magical not full of fences. What are your thoughts on staying at the poly with construction?
Abbey213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #713
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
So I just got a good look at the photos on tikimans fb page, what building is that fence right in front of? Seems like if your had first floor you would stare right at the fence?

I'm pretty sure that is Tahiti. I don't think they have anyone in those rooms anymore. At least I hope not!!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #714
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
I'm pretty sure that is Tahiti. I don't think they have anyone in those rooms anymore. At least I hope not!!
I hope so, could not tell if there was a balcony on the second floor?

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #715
apocalyps3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey213 View Post
Okay so I'm going 11/13-11/20 staying at poly for me and DH honeymoon. I'm finding all these pictures of construction and closings and I have to say I am a little upset. I'm paying close to 520 a night and disney has not mentioned one thing to me about any construction. Is it worth changing hotels? I know you don't spend the whole time at the resort but its our honey moon we do want to spend half days lounging and relaxing at the resort too. It's DH first time and i want it to be magical not full of fences. What are your thoughts on staying at the poly with construction?
That's the million dollar question. It all comes down to what you're willing to live with. In November, it sounds like you'll only need to put up with fencing and construction near the east beach and parking lot. At least the pool and GCH should be untouched.

If I were paying for a view or for Concierge Level, I'd be upset and would probably change.

We'll be there in January and it sounds like the main pool will be closed starting sometime that month. For me with a 4 year old, that's almost a deal breaker. I'm not sure how they can expect people to cart kids onto a boat, across a lake and to the GF pool and back again.

I'm thinking about switching, but if the RO discounts come out and I apply it to my Poly stay and then decide to switch later (once the construction outlook is more clear), it doesn't seem as if that RO discount will necessarily transfer to the new resort. So basically Disney has us over a barrel.
apocalyps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #716
mbowk99
Earning My Ears

I am in the same situation with the room discount. I wasn't going to request a specific building, but I think I will now. Does anyone know when/how to do that? Do I just call the Disney number and talk to a CM?

I am thinking everyone will do that now so I don't expect to get my request, but I sure want to try.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #717
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey213 View Post
The DVC construction is limited to just one end of the resort, so there aren't a bunch of construction fences up all over the place. If you were on the main beach looking down past Hawaii, towards Tahiti you would be able to see fences. If you were laying around the volcano pool you probably wouldn't see anything. According to what Tikiman has been told, the work on the pool won't start until January (for resurfacing) and then more involved stuff in March. It sounds like *some* work has started in the GCH, with work on the little Kona coffee bar. It's hard to say what will be going on in there by mid-November, but I think they'll just be working on it in manageable sections at a time to avoid too much disruption.

A good guess at this point (just my opinion, so don't hold me to it!!) is that there will be not a huge impact for your trip. FWIW, we're booked for Nov. 30 and aren't considering switching resorts.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #718
Abbey213
Earning My Ears

I'm also a little sad I'm finding about this from other sources and Disney has yet to send me an e mail or a letter. I only get one honeymoon..hopefully lol. The construction shouldn't be too much of an issues for me, but disney doesn't know that.
Abbey213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #719
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowk99
Do I just call the Disney number and talk to a CM?
Yes. Call and say you have a room request you'd like to add to your reservation.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #720
mbowk99
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Yes. Call and say you have a room request you'd like to add to your reservation.
Thanks!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: