Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #691
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post

I believe that's the coffee place near the monorail entrance - right? Its not the actual Kona restaurant that is closed.
Kona Island served coffee during the day and pretty good sushi at night. It is a small bar next to Kona. Kona is alive and kicking.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #692
Ellielovesdisney
Mouseketeer

10 more days to Hawaii bld!!! We have just a garden view...but I hope the view from the lounge is still great! Its our first ever CL.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #693
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Kona Island served coffee during the day and pretty good sushi at night. It is a small bar next to Kona. Kona is alive and kicking.
Thanks for the info on the sushi. Last time we were there, I don't believe that was an option. Or if it was, we missed it. Between the coffee and the sushi we'll have a happy family!
2007 - Polynesian
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Polynesian
Plus more trips to Disneyland than could be counted!!
SlightlyocdDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #694
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Hello. (Or should I say Aloha!)

Checking in with all if you. Took a walk around Sunset Point and Tahiti beach today. Still nothing going on. Only the small silt fences. If I didn't know a major construction project was about to begin, the fences and little blue flags would be barely noticeable. I walked through Rapa Nui yesterday. Nothing appears to be happening there yet either. However the parking lot in front of Rapi Nui appears to be closed and blocked off. I'll try to see if anyone might be guests at RN or Tahiti still.

And a poster mentioned in this thread or another about all of the grasses etc overtaking the beach. Well the Tahiti beach looked kind of overgrown and not being taken care of. There was one swing on the beach and there was even grass growing under it. Grass was still growing on the beach over on the Luau Cove side but not as bad as Tahiti side.

Crews seem to be doing a lot of landscape clean up in the beds around the hotel though, just in general, not construction related.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #695
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
I believe there have been some posts that the sushi service has been moved into Kona and that dinner is no longer served at Kona Island. Can someone confirm this (or better yet, tell me I'm wrong)? It was great to have the option of ordering dinner at the Island as a walk up when Kona was busy, or to get food to go, but I think it is only coffee and pastries in the morning now.
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #696
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyecinderella View Post
Hello. (Or should I say Aloha!)

Checking in with all if you. Took a walk around Sunset Point and Tahiti beach today. Still nothing going on. Only the small silt fences. If I didn't know a major construction project was about to begin, the fences and little blue flags would be barely noticeable. I walked through Rapa Nui yesterday. Nothing appears to be happening there yet either. However the parking lot in front of Rapi Nui appears to be closed and blocked off. I'll try to see if anyone might be guests at RN or Tahiti still.

And a poster mentioned in this thread or another about all of the grasses etc overtaking the beach. Well the Tahiti beach looked kind of overgrown and not being taken care of. There was one swing on the beach and there was even grass growing under it. Grass was still growing on the beach over on the Luau Cove side but not as bad as Tahiti side.

Crews seem to be doing a lot of landscape clean up in the beds around the hotel though, just in general, not construction related.
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusgirl View Post
I believe there have been some posts that the sushi service has been moved into Kona and that dinner is no longer served at Kona Island. Can someone confirm this (or better yet, tell me I'm wrong)? It was great to have the option of ordering dinner at the Island as a walk up when Kona was busy, or to get food to go, but I think it is only coffee and pastries in the morning now.
As of my last visit, we were able to get sushi in the evening to go. Not sure if something has changed but I would suggest posting your question on the Poly thread rather than the construction thread. It is at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3129647

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #697
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the updates! Our Poly family has decided that regardless of what is going on we will be there next June! All I need is the club level lounge and maybe a lapu lapu Has there been any rumors about discounts due to construction?

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #698
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

Update: walked back from TTC tonight after EMH at EPcot. There are more little utility marker flags. There is an 8-10 foot chain linked fence in front of Tahiti (beach side) right along the building. I still noticed guests going back to their rooms in Tahiti. On beach side possibly only 3rd floor is occupied. It also appears guests are still in Rapa Nui - lights and televisions on, etc. will see what next day or so brings.
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #699
CaptainKat
Mouseketeer

Just finished most of the thread (started about halfway in because I knew most new info would cancel out what was in the first few pages). I'm excited to see more updates from 'on the ground'. We'll be there Nov. 3-7, not at the Poly, but I will try to fit in some resort hopping on our MK day and get some pics for those of you who are heading there shortly after.

I may have the very unpopular opinion of being excited about the supposed plans, since my parents are DVC members I've wanted to stay at the Poly since the first trip to WDW I can remember, but for years we couldn't afford it, and then once we bought into DVC, the conversion rates to points for the two rooms we need just weren't feasible. So now I may finally get to stay at this beautiful resort!

I do see where the Poly regulars are coming from though. It's a lot of time to have construction disruptions, and the loss of rooms, especially TPV, is frustrating for those who don't care about, or dislike, DVC. I'm kind of iffy about the bungalows myself. It could be nice if they keep them small and low, something nice looking but not ostentatious. If they're low, it won't affect so many of the views from Hawaii, and could just add to the effect of looking out onto a beach, with little thatch roofed huts out on the water? I'm just afraid they'll just stick a bunch of two story Grand Villa monstrosities in the middle of the Lagoon I also echo the sentiments about being out on the water in those- the Lagoon is gorgeous from the balcony of a longhouse, but up close, that water is pretty gross. Much better suited for somewhere with clear water! Really, why didn't they just build those at Aulani?

I'll stop my rambling now, and go back to lurking

Accepted for DCP Fall Advantage in the Pirate's League! Let the Countdown begin!
CaptainKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #700
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Morning all, some new photos up on tikiman fb page today. Thanks for all the updates everyone!

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #701
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKat View Post
Just finished most of the thread (started about halfway in because I knew most new info would cancel out what was in the first few pages). I'm excited to see more updates from 'on the ground'. We'll be there Nov. 3-7, not at the Poly, but I will try to fit in some resort hopping on our MK day and get some pics for those of you who are heading there shortly after.

I may have the very unpopular opinion of being excited about the supposed plans, since my parents are DVC members I've wanted to stay at the Poly since the first trip to WDW I can remember, but for years we couldn't afford it, and then once we bought into DVC, the conversion rates to points for the two rooms we need just weren't feasible. So now I may finally get to stay at this beautiful resort!

I do see where the Poly regulars are coming from though. It's a lot of time to have construction disruptions, and the loss of rooms, especially TPV, is frustrating for those who don't care about, or dislike, DVC. I'm kind of iffy about the bungalows myself. It could be nice if they keep them small and low, something nice looking but not ostentatious. If they're low, it won't affect so many of the views from Hawaii, and could just add to the effect of looking out onto a beach, with little thatch roofed huts out on the water? I'm just afraid they'll just stick a bunch of two story Grand Villa monstrosities in the middle of the Lagoon I also echo the sentiments about being out on the water in those- the Lagoon is gorgeous from the balcony of a longhouse, but up close, that water is pretty gross. Much better suited for somewhere with clear water! Really, why didn't they just build those at Aulani?

I'll stop my rambling now, and go back to lurking
Thank you for posting and understanding the non DVCers. I myself don't mind DVC and don't mind change I am just worried about the one point of construction that could effect the views from Hawaii.

I am glad that you will finally get the chance to stay at the Poly. Be warned though once you stay there, there is no going back! LOL
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #702
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Ok so today the real fences are going up, photos on Tilkiman FB page... I will try to post the link here later.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #703
jennifaerie
DIS Veteran

Chain-linked fences going up right now behind Tokelau.

The construction view request cast some magic. They gave us the very last room in the building (on one end), so we have a view of the lagoon, Grand Floridian, Magic Kingdom, and the construction! I almost cried when we looked out our window. We are very lucky!
jennifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #704
NicoleK1974
Mouseketeer

Someone posted on Tikiman's facebook that they are there right now, staying CL TPV and glad they are leaving today because their view is ruined.
Anyone have any pictures from the field showing the "ruined" view?
I am considering jumping over to CR before they get all booked up....

I was one that was trying to keep a positive attitude and think that they wouldn't destroy the view and A: not tell anyone and\or B: not offer to make it up in some way....
*sigh*

NicoleK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #705
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleK1974 View Post
Someone posted on Tikiman's facebook that they are there right now, staying CL TPV and glad they are leaving today because their view is ruined.
Anyone have any pictures from the field showing the "ruined" view?
I am considering jumping over to CR before they get all booked up....

I was one that was trying to keep a positive attitude and think that they wouldn't destroy the view and A: not tell anyone and\or B: not offer to make it up in some way....
*sigh*
Oh boy that's a shame. I just looked quick on tikiman FB page , they are big standard chain link fences. I could not even tell where they were I looked so fast. Good luck to you!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: