Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #526
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveslsu View Post
I do think I should have changed my reservation. I just want to believe him so badly that there will be no construction. Of course everything else points to major construction and noise during my May stay. I will give it another week or so and see what other information comes out and then I will make my decision. Funny that I am so attached to staying at the Poly since I have never stayed there I really won't know what I am missing! Thank you for the input and advice.
So hard to know what to do. I feel the same way, one thing for sure, cm on the phone do not have the most accurate info.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #527
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Any updates from the field? Wondering if anything new on site?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #528
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Any updates from the field? Wondering if anything new on site?
No walls yet (as of yesterday when my friend was there), but she reported blue flags up in from of Tahiti...
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #529
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
No walls yet (as of yesterday when my friend was there), but she reported blue flags up in from of Tahiti...
I am still hoping this is all just a bad dream and nothing will happen..

Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #530
Loveslsu
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt

I am still hoping this is all just a bad dream and nothing will happen..
Me too!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #531
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just finished reading this entire thread - lots of info to digest.

I just booked (before reading this) a Poly TPV (not concierge) room for one night 11/6/13 to celebrate my 65th birthday. From what I've read there will be one longhouse, Tuvalu, that will fit that category since Hawaii is concierge and Tahiti will be closed for construction. Do I have that right?

Since I just booked two days ago, I've yet to get a letter from the Poly about the construction. What are people doing who decide to switch? Is there a "deal" for those that can no longer be accommodated such as a move to the GF or Contemporary at the same rate in similar view?

At any rate, I'm not panicking. Just wondering what the options are if we have to switch.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #532
starwarsmomma81
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post

Since I just booked two days ago, I've yet to get a letter from the Poly about the construction. What are people doing who decide to switch? Is there a "deal" for those that can no longer be accommodated such as a move to the GF or Contemporary at the same rate in similar view?
According to a CM, it would not have been an option to book a TPV room if they weren't going to have that available. Take that with a grain of salt, as others have said, a lot of CM's don't have the most accurate info.

I too have a TPV room booked for end of October and I am hoping for the best as well!
starwarsmomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #533
JandLsMom
Earning My Ears

We were planning on a spring trip to the Poly too, but after reading everything, I believe we will be changing our reservations as well. I can deal with a little construction on the beach, OR at the pool, OR at the GCH, but certainly not all of those places at the same time, which seems to be the probability at the moment. I know they have a timeframe in which to complete their projects, but I wish these projects would not overlap at the same time. I fear that it will ruin people's hard-earned vacations...and the *magic* of staying (and paying) for such a beautiful resort and all it has to offer.
JandLsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #534
Circusgirl
Queen of the Moisture Festival
ALLORA!!!

Quote:

I just booked (before reading this) a Poly TPV (not concierge) room for one night 11/6/13 to celebrate my 65th birthday. From what I've read there will be one longhouse, Tuvalu, that will fit that category since Hawaii is concierge and Tahiti will be closed for construction. Do I have that right?

At any rate, I'm not panicking. Just wondering what the options are if we have to switch.
Hi Jeff!

Aotearoa also has some TPV rooms.

The Poly is my all time favorite and although I do stay at other resorts sometimes to use my DVC points, the Poly is always my first choice. That said, I switched my own November birthday trip reservation from the Poly to the Grand. I booked the original reservation as a garden view on a bounceback, and they gave me the bounceback rate at the Grand, which is better than the current 30% off general offer, but more than the rate at the Poly and I do have to pay the difference. As the previous poster noted, it seems unlikely that they would book a TPV room if they are not showing availability. In past circumstances when people have been "offered" a different resort due to a change or problem at their booked resort, they have not been upcharged.

I was thinking of trying to tough it out through whatever disruption the construction causes, but there was some heavy equipment working not all that close to my house last week, and the back up beepers nearly drove me crazy even at a distance. This trip is designed to be a respite in a very complicated and busy year taking care of my mom through a number of health crises and helping her move from California to be close to me, so relaxing at the resort is high on my list of priorities. I'm trying to console myself with the thought that the Grand at holiday time will be especially pretty, but I know I will miss the genuine aloha spirit at the Poly.

Have a splendid birthday trip!!
Circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #535
wyurm
Mouseketeer

I really hope they wait till the holidays are over before they start on the GCH and pool. It only makes sense for them to wait as the holidays will be one of their busiest times. Why would you schedule construction during one of your busiest times unless there was a code violation or some severely important reason for you to do so? I have a great deal of concerns about the news I have been seeing but I'm holding on for now. I really hope I'm not making the wrong choice.
wyurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #536
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:

What a wonderful way to celebrate your 65th birthday!!! (and a fabulous day to have a birthday, if I may say so myself ) I would agree with the pp that they wouldn't book rooms they don't expect to have available. Plus, having a birthday celebration noted on your reservation won't hurt if you do decide to make a change.
2007 - Polynesian
2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Polynesian
Plus more trips to Disneyland than could be counted!!
SlightlyocdDisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #537
jl234
Earning My Ears

Field update:

We checked in yesterday to Samoa. No signs of any construction anywhere. No work trucks either. That may change today, I'll post again this evening.
jl234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #538
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl234 View Post
Field update:

We checked in yesterday to Samoa. No signs of any construction anywhere. No work trucks either. That may change today, I'll post again this evening.
Thanks for the report! I for one am very jealous. Have a wonderful trip.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #539
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyurm View Post
I really hope they wait till the holidays are over before they start on the GCH and pool. It only makes sense for them to wait as the holidays will be one of their busiest times. Why would you schedule construction during one of your busiest times unless there was a code violation or some severely important reason for you to do so? I have a great deal of concerns about the news I have been seeing but I'm holding on for now. I really hope I'm not making the wrong choice.
That would make sense but who knows what they will do, I hope you have a magical trip!!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #540
apocalyps3
Earning My Ears

A question for you Disney experts..

Lets say you have a reservation for the Poly for a week in January. In early October they release the discounts and you are able to have the discount applied to your January stay.

Shortly after you find out there enough construction that you want to switch to a different resort. Will the discount apply to the new resort? Or are you basically trapped at the Poly (if you want the discount)?
apocalyps3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: