Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #166
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
Tikiman,

You have a passion. That passion is a wonderful thing. Without your zest for knowledge, we would all be in the dark. Your information has helped so many countless people. Every day people are sending people to your site because of it's complete dedication to getting it RIGHT. The passion you feel rubs off on us all.

Don't stop sharing your passion with us.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I do appreciate all the comments and I do this to help people plan with as accurate of information as I can get.

Just to let you all know, information I have been getting from many different sources in Disney (including the bus driver…just kidding) I believe that Tahiti and possibly Rapa Nui will close down in September or latest October and not reopen until they are DVC. There were some reports that support this of people booked in September being asked to switch to the Grand Floridian because the Polynesian is over booked. I am trying to confirm this with the Polynesian so for now that part is rumor and the closing of the longhouse is speculation on my part from all the other pieces of info I have gotten.
This makes sense to me, coupled with Tahiti not having been refurbished. Thanks again for all that you do. It is appreciated very much. I, like many really do depend on your site and your insight to help us plan our trips. I think we Poly lovers are all very passionate about our favorite resort, and whether we are speculating or anticipating or however we feel about what is to come, one thing is clear. We all love our Poly! Thanks again!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #167
DisneyDoc5
Disney, Dogs, Chocolate

Quote:
I do appreciate all the comments and I do this to help people plan with as accurate of information as I can get.

Just to let you all know, information I have been getting from many different sources in Disney (including the bus driver…just kidding) I believe that Tahiti and possibly Rapa Nui will close down in September or latest October and not reopen until they are DVC. There were some reports that support this of people booked in September being asked to switch to the Grand Floridian because the Polynesian is over booked. I am trying to confirm this with the Polynesian so for now that part is rumor and the closing of the longhouse is speculation on my part from all the other pieces of info I have gotten.
Three cheers for Tikiman - a big fan here and always appreciate your updates and website (especially the backgound music streaming while I cook dinner!!) Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and resources with fellow Poly fans!
2006 Beach Club, 2008 Contemporary, 2008 Beach Club, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside, 2010 Polynesian, 2011 Coronado Springs, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside, 2012 Fantasy Cruise, 2012 Art of Animation, 2013 Yacht Club, 2013 Polynesian, 2014 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 Fantasy Cruise, 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2015 Port Orleans Riverside

DisneyDoc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #168
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post
Well said!

This makes sense to me, coupled with Tahiti not having been refurbished. Thanks again for all that you do. It is appreciated very much. I, like many really do depend on your site and your insight to help us plan our trips. I think we Poly lovers are all very passionate about our favorite resort, and whether we are speculating or anticipating or however we feel about what is to come, one thing is clear. We all love our Poly! Thanks again!
I’m glad you find the site useful. I have been putting off many of the updated info, photos and maps because I have been considering making a new site if I keep it going past this year and bringing in a DVC expert to help with that section of the site. The new site will have maps of all the rooms and how they are arranged and if they are connecting or not as well as all the new room photos.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #169
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've also read reports here and elsewhere that some Poly guests are being offered to switch to GF due to overbooking.

Steve's speculation seems to be the most logical reason why this is happening (especially given that they never did the scheduled room refurb in Tahiti in combination with the recent South Florida Water Mgmt permits).

This also suggests to me that Disney is really gearing up to pull the trigger on all of the refurbs (e.g., GCH, Nanea pool) and not just the ones directly related to DVC construction because it makes the most sense to do these (i.e., live with less demand) when the resort is not at full booking capacity.

In addition, it tells me that they are serious about trying to finish by late 2015 or early 2016 beause they won't want these units sitting idle for any longer than necessary. Along those lines, I would think they'd want all of the other resort refurbs (GCH, pool) to be done by the time they open DVC and since they're likely to do these in stages, they'll want to start sooner than later.

As of just a few days ago, I was (wishfully) speculating that the Nanea pool and GCH refurbs wouldn't happen for at least a year because Disney has a track record of dragging their feet on projects, especially since the GF DVC isn't quite finished (so why hurry on Poly DVC?). Moreover, if the Nanea pool were to be closed for, say, 7-8 months as was the GF courtyard pool, it would seem to make more sense to close it over the fall-winter (as they did with GF courtyard pool) than from January through the busiest part of the summer.

But with Tahiti and possibly Rapa Nui down, having the Nanea pool down over the summer is less of a concern because, as noted above, Disney can live with less resort demand.

If I had to wager a guess at this point, I'd say there's a pretty good chance the Nanea pool will be down for the better part of 2014 beginning in January and that work on removing the GCH main water feature may likely happen at around that time as well. Then, once the work to the pool and water feature is done, they'll work on the parts of the GCH that involve (at least temporarily) closing shops and restaurants.

So overall, I'm guessing Nanea pool and GCH water feature construction through the better part of 2014 and various GCH restaurant and shop closures through the better part of 2015.

In view of all that, I still can't decide whether to cancel my May 2014 reservation.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #170
nh grandma
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Polynesian Construction

If you go to tikiman on Facebook and 'Like' the page, there is a lot of info
on what is going on at the Polynesian. The last I heard was that the volcano
pool would close in Jan. and that those with Fall reservations for the Tahiti longhouse, would be asked to change their reservation...whether that is to another resort or a different longhouse, I am not sure. Steve, Tikiman, is very good at answering questions that are posted to him. There is bound to be some construction somewhere at the Poly for the next couple of years. Very disappointing since some of the "reconstruction" takes away from the
"tropical" theme. A lot of changes at once, which I feel is a disservice to the guests. One at a time would be much better. DVC is also going in which is a moneymaker for them, but the average person will have a harder time staying there.
nh grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #171
nh grandma
Earning My Ears

Tikiman

Oops! Didn't read Steve's comments before I posted, sorry! He is a wonderful source though! Have July 2014 reservations and I am a bit leary about keeping them!
nh grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #172
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
I've also read reports here and elsewhere that some Poly guests are being offered to switch to GF due to overbooking.

Steve's speculation seems to be the most logical reason why this is happening (especially given that they never did the scheduled room refurb in Tahiti in combination with the recent South Florida Water Mgmt permits).

This also suggests to me that Disney is really gearing up to pull the trigger on all of the refurbs (e.g., GCH, Nanea pool) and not just the ones directly related to DVC construction because it makes the most sense to do these (i.e., live with less demand) when the resort is not at full booking capacity.

In addition, it tells me that they are serious about trying to finish by late 2015 or early 2016 beause they won't want these units sitting idle for any longer than necessary. Along those lines, I would think they'd want all of the other resort refurbs (GCH, pool) to be done by the time they open DVC and since they're likely to do these in stages, they'll want to start sooner than later.

As of just a few days ago, I was (wishfully) speculating that the Nanea pool and GCH refurbs wouldn't happen for at least a year because Disney has a track record of dragging their feet on projects, especially since the GF DVC isn't quite finished (so why hurry on Poly DVC?). Moreover, if the Nanea pool were to be closed for, say, 7-8 months as was the GF courtyard pool, it would seem to make more sense to close it over the fall-winter (as they did with GF courtyard pool) than from January through the busiest part of the summer.

But with Tahiti and possibly Rapa Nui down, having the Nanea pool down over the summer is less of a concern because, as noted above, Disney can live with less resort demand.

If I had to wager a guess at this point, I'd say there's a pretty good chance the Nanea pool will be down for the better part of 2014 beginning in January and that work on removing the GCH main water feature may likely happen at around that time as well. Then, once the work to the pool and water feature is done, they'll work on the parts of the GCH that involve (at least temporarily) closing shops and restaurants.

So overall, I'm guessing Nanea pool and GCH water feature construction through the better part of 2014 and various GCH restaurant and shop closures through the better part of 2015.

In view of all that, I still can't decide whether to cancel my May 2014 reservation.
Sounds about right to me.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #173
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh grandma View Post

If you go to tikiman on Facebook and 'Like' the page, there is a lot of info
on what is going on at the Polynesian. The last I heard was that the volcano
pool would close in Jan. and that those with Fall reservations for the Tahiti longhouse, would be asked to change their reservation...whether that is to another resort or a different longhouse, I am not sure. Steve, Tikiman, is very good at answering questions that are posted to him. There is bound to be some construction somewhere at the Poly for the next couple of years. Very disappointing since some of the "reconstruction" takes away from the
"tropical" theme. A lot of changes at once, which I feel is a disservice to the guests. One at a time would be much better. DVC is also going in which is a moneymaker for them, but the average person will have a harder time staying there.
When you mentioned taking away from the tropical theme I never even considered a few things. Back when they did some major work to all the longhouses back in 2002 or even when they were creating the new volcano pool in 2000-2001 there was some lack of atmosphere because things were disconnected like the music and the gas lines for the torches while they were working on the grounds. I would expect these things to be shut off resort wide while they are doing the work that was submitted in the most recent permits. Then again people lived without the touches before they were installed in 1991.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #174
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I’m glad you find the site useful. I have been putting off many of the updated info, photos and maps because I have been considering making a new site if I keep it going past this year and bringing in a DVC expert to help with that section of the site. The new site will have maps of all the rooms and how they are arranged and if they are connecting or not as well as all the new room photos.
That would be SUPER helpful. I think, if I am not mistaken, you did have those maps with room numbers? It's nice to know the room numbers and locations within the longhouses. When folks are kind enough to post photos of the views from their rooms and the corresponding room numbers, it's nice to know where within the longhouse the room is located. For me, it's all about the location. The view is such a HUGE part of the magic for me, especially when the property is so gorgeous. It's so peaceful and lovely there. I've said it before, I wish I could live there. The atmosphere is like nothing I've experienced before.

On a side note, not last year, but the year before, we stayed in Samoa and my in-laws came along. It was their first time at Poly. We had requested third floor with a balcony, which was important to them (and us). I did online check in for the first time, and when we arrived, we were given a second floor room. They said they did not have anything available on the third floor. Now, I know requests are just that, and are not guaranteed. However, we have had all of our requests granted every year that I can remember. The one time I did online check in, we were not granted our request. We arrived very early in the day too, not late in the evening. FWIW........
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #175
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Describe in general terms the proposed project, system, or activity.

The work to be conducted on this site includes new parking, vehicular circulation, pedestrian pathways, utilities, and fire access. It also include the installation of pilings along the neighboring lagoon that will support future structures, redesigned landscaping, and new amenity areas to serve the building expansions for this resort hotel. The proposed improvements are all located within the grounds of Disney's Polynesian Resort on 1600 W Seven Seas Drive in Bay Lake, FL.
This work (based on the construction plans) may be why it appears that the Poly may be overbooked since some people are being offered "upgrades" to move to the GF in Sep. The pedestrian pathways surround Tahiti and Rapa Nui and it may be that Disney has determined that it is most cost effective to take one or both of these longhouses out of inventory while some of this work is being done.

While this description does seem to support some of the DVC rumors (i.e., the pilings) it is still speculation on exactly what that will consist of and the timing of that construction.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #176
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #177
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

I feel bad for the people who have to move, so much planning in these trips

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #178
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There were some reports that support this of people booked in September being asked to switch to the Grand Floridian because the Polynesian is over booked. I am trying to confirm this with the Polynesian so for now that part is rumor and the closing of the longhouse is speculation on my part from all the other pieces of info I have gotten.
Does anyone happen to know (because I'd rather not wade through the terms and conditions at this hour ) what the policy is if a guest declines to switch? I assume they would just move on and offer the "upgrade" to another party, but do the reservation terms allow Disney to cancel the reservation?

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #179
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post

This sounds spot on to me! We're also booked for may 2014 and spend almost every dinner conversation trying to decide what construction will be enough to make us switch resorts. We're so desperate to be at the poly I could be okay with the pool remodel as long as the lobby was untouched. But you start messing with the pool, lobby and two buildings all at the same time I'm going want some major discounts! With an awesome rate, a lapu lapu, and a few of chef Eugene's treats in the cl lounge I can get over construction- Mahalo Mickey!

Another huge Mahalo to Tikiman! Your updates and speculations have been awesome- very thankful to be in the know with all of the potential DVC construction. If you're reading this thread and haven't liked his Facebook page- do it asap! Can't imagine booking a TPV CL room only to show up and find the poly is disarray- it pays to know!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Last edited by polyfor4; 08-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.
polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #180
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
This sounds spot on to me! We're also booked for may 2014 and spend almost every dinner conversation trying to decide what construction will be enough to make us switch resorts. We're so desperate to be at the poly I could be okay with the pool remodel as long as the lobby was untouched. But you start messing with the pool, lobby and two buildings all at the same time I'm going want some major discounts! With an awesome rate, a lapu lapu, and a few of chef Eugene's treats in the cl lounge I can get over construction- Mahalo Mickey!

Another huge Mahalo to Tikiman! Your updates and speculations have been awesome- very thankful to be in the know with all of the potential DVC construction. If you're reading this thread and haven't liked his Facebook page- do it asap! Can't imagine booking a TPV CL room only to show up and find the poly is disarray- it pays to know!
Us too! lol I would be ok I think with stuff over at Tahitti, but construction over the water at sunset point, or GCH, or the volcano pool would break the deal for us. I guess if it was just one store or something small we could handle the GCH construction. A LapuLapu does make it all easier!!

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: