Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #136
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~PrincessBelle~* View Post
I like how this thread is called the "OFFICIAL" Poly construction thread when Disney hasnt even OFFICIALLY announced anything happening....a bunch of Poly fanboys reporting from second hand CMs constitutes OFFICIAL here I guess...I realize that it will likely happen given the direction of deluxe resorts adding DVC...but so many people on the boards are getting bent out of shape over this and we no nothing substantial yet... I say book the resort you want and when Disney announces something OFFICIAL with dates attached to it then proceed to freak out...just my two cents.
I meant this was the official thread to discuss the construction, updates etc. I did not mean to imply that I was anouncing anything in an "official" capacity for disney, nor do I think most people thought I was, I am sorry if this caused confusion.

I did not want to clutter up the main Poly thread with all construction discussion, I figured some people don't want to always see this discussion when doing there Poly reasearch, that is why I thought it would be a good idea to start a thead to just discuss this topic and share information, and pictures at some point.

Historicaly Disney has not given much notice as to the dvc projects, I think that is why alot of us are discussing what we will do. Not sure anyone is freaking out, just talking with other Disney/Poly fans.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #137
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I donít mind keeping up the info on what is happening right now but maybe I should just keep my inside info to myself. I would never want it to cause people stress or frustration and it seems like for some people it is.

We can just wait to see what Disney says when they are ready.
Steve I am the OP, I never meant to imply that I was adding "Official" information, just sharing reliable info that we all had, I figured going forward it would be nice to have one thread where people could update from onsite etc.

I was implying that this was the Official "discussion thread", thought it would clutter up the regular Poly thread too much.

I hope you continue to keep us informed consumers, and Poly lovers!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #138
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Historicaly Disney has not given much notice as to the dvc projects, I think that is why alot of us are discussing what we will do. Not sure anyone is freaking out, just talking with other Disney/Poly fans.
And they haven't given all that much more notice with respect to projects that aren't directly DVC related (e.g., general resort, restaurant refubs etc.).

For example, if Disney were to close the Volcano Pool for a long refurb in January, it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't officially announce anything about it until sometime around Thanksgiving.

This is why Tikiman's info is valuable and appreciated because it gives us all a chance to think about what we might do (and consider various alternatives) well in advance of when Disney officially makes an announcement.

I also appreciate this thread because it provides an efficient way to check up on the latest info.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #139
mum2four
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I meant this was the official thread to discuss the construction, updates etc. I did not mean to imply that I was anouncing anything in an "official" capacity for disney, nor do I think most people thought I was, I am sorry if this caused confusion.
FWIW, I completely understood the purpose of this thread when you started it.

And I also want to add that I appreciate all the heads-up information from Tikiman. Yes, it's true that nothing official has been announced from Disney, but if I didn't follow this information on here and other boards, it might be too late to find other accomodations if Disney were to announce construction during the time of our visit.

We stayed at a lodge last year (not Disney) which was undergoing some construction, and it completely ruined the ambiance for us. After that we swore to never stay at any resort with construction. So, when I hear these unofficial rumors of upcoming work going on at the Poly, it is useful information for me to help me decide on a resort. I don't want to chance dealing with construction like we did last year.

I certainly don't think anyone is getting "bent out of shape" about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #140
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I donít mind keeping up the info on what is happening right now but maybe I should just keep my inside info to myself. I would never want it to cause people stress or frustration and it seems like for some people it is.

Tikiman...while I'm new to Poly planning, I'm not new to Disney planning and since the Poly is our dream resort and the only resort my youngest DD wants to stay at next summer for her sweet 16, I have found your updates/information to be invaluable. So as others have said, please do not let one person's comments stop you from sharing!

Quote:

I did not want to clutter up the main Poly thread with all construction discussion, I figured some people don't want to always see this discussion when doing there Poly reasearch, that is why I thought it would be a good idea to start a thead to just discuss this topic and share information, and pictures at some point.

Jennygt.... I completely understood the title of your thread and was actually happy to see Poly construction updates on one thread rather than sifting threw a ton of posts to try and find one or two that would help me make a decision for next year.

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #141
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Steve - your posts and information are invaluable!

We are thinking of staying at the Polynesian next summer. I am not "freaking out" just watching carefully. All your information on the Polynesian makes my planning so much easier - thanks!

OP - I completely understood the title of the thread. Thank you.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #142
*~PrincessBelle~*
DIS Veteran

harsh? How about lively conversation? Just an observation I made from the numerous panicky posts from people asking about changing resorts... Take from it what you will... Never did I once discount info from Tikiman in fact I referenced using his site myself for information...

Oh well you can never win on the Dis... Happy planning folks!
*~PrincessBelle~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #143
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

PrincessBelle- I think the statement below was what triggered much of the disagreement:

Quote:
I like how this thread is called the "OFFICIAL" Poly construction thread when Disney hasnt even OFFICIALLY announced anything happening....a bunch of Poly fanboys reporting from second hand CMs constitutes OFFICIAL here I guess
This thread never purported to be the bearer of official Disney information. It was meant to be the official DIS thread for info, rumors, etc. about the potential Poly construction.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #144
LiveToTravelNicely
Strolling the Boardwalk: January 2014!

Tikiman does an incredible job with all of the information that he provides. Since there is the chance of construction next year, I have been researching GF as an alternate (just in case). I don't mean to be negative about the unofficial website for the GF, but Tiki's Poly site has so much more information. I have to admit that I'm spoiled when it comes to all information Poly! Keep up the great work!!!

2014: EP Area- BWI-CL Standard
2012: AK Area- CSR-Casita #1
2011: MK Area- Poly-Garden View-Tokelau

LiveToTravelNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #145
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
Agree!

The information Tikiman provides is appreciated and valuable in that it gives us all a heads up to think in advance about alternatives (as opposed to being blindsided at the last minute).

For example, in my case, I went ahead and booked Poly for spring of 2014, knowing full well that, in view of Tikiman's information, there's some risk involved in doing so. But, thanks to that information, I've been given the opportunity to think through alternative strategies in the event of various refurb scenarios (e.g., Volcano Pool, GCH, restaurants, etc.). And should any of those come to fruition, I'll handle the disappointment better.
Agreed! We booked Poly for the Princess Half Marathon weekend in February 2014. We have GV at rack rate for now, but CL GV would be our first choice. So we'll need to wait to see if 1) discounts become available, because I think $913/night for GV CL is unreasonable; and 2) how much Poly construction will actually occur during our stay. We agreed that GCH construction would be OK if we're staying CL, and that DVC construction would likely be OK, too. As for the volcano pool, that might have more of an impact for our boys (ages 7, 13 and 14 at time of travel.)

But tikiman's info allows us to give some thought to the alternatives - we might change our reservation to BWI CL if the Poly construction is just too much. Based on many years of WDW resort experience (30 at Poly!), we know that Disney doesn't always broadcast resort rehabs/construction - so I appreciate any information available here and on tikiman's site.

Quote:
Steve I am the OP, I never meant to imply that I was adding "Official" information, just sharing reliable info that we all had, I figured going forward it would be nice to have one thread where people could update from onsite etc.
Thank you, Jennygt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMomx7 View Post
Steve - your posts and information are invaluable!

We are thinking of staying at the Polynesian next summer. I am not "freaking out" just watching carefully. All your information on the Polynesian makes my planning so much easier - thanks!

OP - I completely understood the title of the thread. Thank you.
Of course, agreed! And hello Robyn!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #146
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
While it's true that nothing official has been announced by Disney, I can understand the concern given that Disney has a track record of not making an official anouncement until the construction is almost imminent (a recent example is the GF courtyard pool refurb, which took about 8 months but Disney didn't make an official announcement until something like 6-8 weeks before they closed the pool).

Along thoses lines, people are concerned that if they wait for an official announcement, they won't be able to change their plans to an acceptable substitite (and for many, acceptable substitute = Monorail resort).

I personally believe these changes are coming, but that as far as the Volcano Pool and GCH are concerned, major refurbs will happen slower than what everyone is speculating (I'm thinking fall of 2014 or later). For that reason, I've gone ahead and booked Poly for May of 2014.
Well said!

Quote:
That was harsh. I agree that information should never come second hand from some CMs because most that work at the Polynesian arenít given any information as to the future plans. Good thing I did not get my information that way

I would not expect for anything Official to be announced until the very last minute if at all. You never saw an announcement of the new rooms going in and even know when you call Disney some will tell you nothing is going on at the resort with the new rooms and we all know they are almost done without officially saying anything.

I agree that you should book the Polynesian if that is where you want to go because maybe the work going on will not bother you but just donít complain that you were not given a heads up. If everyone might feel better if I keep my fanboy information to myself I can do that. It will give me more time to spend doing other things.
Tikiman, your site and information has been invaluable to me over the years. Don't let the naysayers get you down.

There are 2 reasons we booked our back-up instead of the Poly. First, I'm not really worried about availability of a standard room at the Poly. But if Disney doesn't announce anything until late in the game, very good possibility that 2br villas at BLT would be gone. And secondly, I know from personal experience that Disney does not like to be upfront with construction/resort rehab info. In 2011, quiet pool closed. In 2012, the pool slide was down until our departure day and the monorail was running a quite limited schedule. Never once, at any point, did Disney notify us of these, not in advance, not even at check-in. I knew about them from Tikiman and from the Dis. Those were not deal-breakers, but no Volcano pool and/or major GCH construction and/or Tahiti construction (esp. More than one of those) probably is for us. I like to think of this not as "panicking" but as thinking ahead and smart planning!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #147
smelton521
Mouseketeer

Subscribing to this thread! Planning a spring 2014 trip with small kids who will need afternoon naps and want to stay at Poly but not sure what to do in light of construction!

smelton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #148
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelton521 View Post
Subscribing to this thread! Planning a spring 2014 trip with small kids who will need afternoon naps and want to stay at Poly but not sure what to do in light of construction!
We are all in that same boat! Good thing that there are so many places to choose from if the construction would be something that keeps you away from the poly.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #149
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Steve, please know that many of us enjoy not only your site, but your updates. Please do not let the rants of some prevent you from sharing what information you get. IMO, yours is the most relevant and most accurate, and I think most of us know that you don't get your info from random cast members. Personally, I feel that the info you pass along is the only really dependable information there is. Whether or not Disney's plans change is out of all of our hands.

Hopefully most people know this:

1) Disney is going to do whatever Disney wants to do, whenever they want to do it, however they want to do it. Whether or not we Poly lovers want these changes or not has little if any impact on their plans.

2) Whatever changes are made to the resort, we will either live with, or we will change resorts. No amount of ranting and raving will change anything. Many of us are passionate about this place, I know, but there is nothing we can do to change any of it.

I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I LOVE this resort more than any other on Disney property, and I have to trust that the changes will only enhance an already beautiful and magical place. Bring it on!

Steve, thanks for all you do!!
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #150
mom2travel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtobrynncess View Post

Steve, please know that many of us enjoy not only your site, but your updates. Please do not let the rants of some prevent you from sharing what information you get. IMO, yours is the most relevant and most accurate, and I think most of us know that you don't get your info from random cast members. Personally, I feel that the info you pass along is the only really dependable information there is. Whether or not Disney's plans change is out of all of our hands.

Hopefully most people know this:

1) Disney is going to do whatever Disney wants to do, whenever they want to do it, however they want to do it. Whether or not we Poly lovers want these changes or not has little if any impact on their plans.

2) Whatever changes are made to the resort, we will either live with, or we will change resorts. No amount of ranting and raving will change anything. Many of us are passionate about this place, I know, but there is nothing we can do to change any of it.

I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I LOVE this resort more than any other on Disney property, and I have to trust that the changes will only enhance an already beautiful and magical place. Bring it on!

Steve, thanks for all you do!!
Well said! I agree completely

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: