Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
KMcCP
DIS Veteran

Have you ever had anything stolen at Disney World?

I'm curious - My family and I were at Disney a few weeks ago. While we were there, the one day my husband accidentally left his credit card in the room we had almost $2K in unauthorized online charges occur that same day. We usually always lock up valuables like our iPad, gift cards etc. The fact that that card was the only one we had with us - and that all our other accounts were not compromised at all, leads me to believe somehow a staff member get hold of the number. We had housekeeping and maintenance in our room that day. We weren't held liable for the charges and the hotel manager was very concerned - but I'm wondering if this happened to anyone else. I know I've read on here several times about people feeling safe leaving valuables out in their rooms... might want to be more careful!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Nope!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
ericstac
DIS Veteran

An iphone.
Disney could care less and told us there was nothing they could do. They asked housecleaning and they didn't have the phone.
So....
I used findmyphone app to track it down then I used google maps to give me and address.
Got the address and searched the counties appraisal district for the owner of the address.
Got her name.
Ran her through facebook and what a coincidence, she worked for Disney in housekeeping.

I then contact the police and the officer when and chatted with the lady. He then left and called me and I described her to him (from photos on FB) and described her perfectly. He made sure I was going to press charges then went back up to the door and at that time she gave it up.. claimed she was turning it in on her next shift.

PD shipped the phone to me. They were awesome.. Disney Co. sucked.
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
browniemtb
DIS Veteran

Yes.....we actually had our card number grabbed there some how. When we came home a couple weeks later there was a test charge for a stay back at Disney. I guess is reality it could have been grabbed anywhere and someone wanted to used it to go to Disney.

Thank God for DVC!
DD14 DD12 DS7 DS4
browniemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Never had a problem
Old 12-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

Yes, quite a few years ago we had all our bags stolen at Typhoon Lagoon (clothes, cameras, etc.).

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

.Nope!

In fact I left a camera on the bus, which we reported to OKW guest services. It was returned to lost and found and Disney mailed it to our home.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
saskdw
DIS Veteran

No
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My son left 20.00 on the table in our room - he was going to grab it and forgot.

When we went back to the room 4 hours later housekeeping had been in and the 20.00 was gone. Coincidence? I think not.....

My husband keeps leaving his laptop out at every hotel we stay at. I keep telling him to put it away. So far he's been lucky and hasn't had it stolen but I really wish he'd just put it away to be safe.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
An iphone.
Disney could care less and told us there was nothing they could do. They asked housecleaning and they didn't have the phone.
So....
I used findmyphone app to track it down then I used google maps to give me and address.
Got the address and searched the counties appraisal district for the owner of the address.
Got her name.
Ran her through facebook and what a coincidence, she worked for Disney in housekeeping.

I then contact the police and the officer when and chatted with the lady. He then left and called me and I described her to him (from photos on FB) and described her perfectly. He made sure I was going to press charges then went back up to the door and at that time she gave it up.. claimed she was turning it in on her next shift.

Wow! Good detective work on your part. If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself! I once forgot my phone in our room at a non-Disney hotel. When I realized, I went back to get it and the housekeeper happened to be cleaning our room at the same time. The phone was not where I remembered leaving it, so I asked her if she saw it and she said no. I had my BF call my phone and lo and behold, it started ringing from her cart under a stack of towels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
My son left 20.00 on the table in our room - he was going to grab it and forgot.

When we went back to the room 4 hours later housekeeping had been in and the 20.00 was gone. Coincidence? I think not.....
In this situation, I would suspect that housekeeping's argument would be that they thought it was a tip - either genuinely, or just saying that to justify taking the money.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Quote:
While we were there, the one day my husband accidentally left his credit card in the room we had almost $2K in unauthorized online charges occur that same day. We usually always lock up valuables like our iPad, gift cards etc. The fact that that card was the only one we had with us - and that all our other accounts were not compromised at all, leads me to believe somehow a staff member get hold of the number.
You can assume that it was someone who took the number off the card while they were in your room - but it's not necessarily true. Could be anybody who handled your card, could be a skimmer, or it could have been from online or some other place altogether, could even be a coincidence that it was the same day. All you can do is report it.

I also can't believe that anyone who leaves cash beyond small change out lying around in their room is astonished when the cash goes missing. In the $20.00 bill case, there's no way to tell if the housekeeper stole it or thought it was a tip, and as soon as they say they believed it to be a tip, that's it. From what I've read here, yes there are people who tip that much. And nobody should feel "safe" about leaving valuables sitting out in their rooms. You're taking a risk whenever you do that.

Personally I have not had anything stolen. Had a friend who left a bag of newly purchased pins on the monorail once, and didnt get them back.

Last edited by MakiraMarlena; 12-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Donald - my hero
Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
Rescues lime green Mickey head paint chips from Home Depot

Nope, in fact we had the opposite happen. We only had the room cleaned every-other day and on one of the days we decided to get it cleaned we got back to the room to discover that we had left the safe hanging open

Everything was in it ... passports, close to $500.00 US cash and about $50.00 CDN and a tiara that we had bought for our daughter in DTD (she's getting married and June and that was all she wanted for her souvineer) that cost us almost $75.00.

Not only was everything still there but the housekeeper closed the safe, locked it and left the key under a glass with a note telling us where it was! That was just one of the wonderful things she did for us
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post52016805
Donald - my hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

2 years ago, I had an incident.

We had a trip planned to celebrate my oldest daughter's high school graduation and a couple of months before our trip, I contacted one of the resort bakeries to order her a specialty cake. At that time, I was told I had to pay for it in advance and so I gave the person taking my order my Disney Visa cc # to pay it. Keep in mind, I hadn't used that credit card in over a year and never used it once while I was on vacation.

On the night she was given her cake, I was presented with a bill to pay it. I explained that I had been told it needed to be ppd and was under the assumption they were charging my cc since I had to give it to them in advance. The waitress came back and told me it wasn't paid, so I paid for it in cash. Went back to my room, checked my statement online and nothing was charged. Found it odd, but never gave it another thought really and we went about our vacation.

Two days after we were home from our trip, I got a call from Chase asking me if I had tried to take a cash advance from some banco popular in Orlando on that day...um, noooo, I was already back home in Massachusetts and wasn't even familiar with that bank. Thankfully Chase had blocked the transaction so it never went thru and after answering a series of questions, my account was cancelled and I was reissued a new card. Thought that was the end of that until a few days later I received a few more calls from both the legal dept and security at Disney as well as the Orlando Police.

Thankfully I keep good notes and still had the name of the person at Disney who had taken my cc# over the phone and was able to give that information to all of them. Not sure what the final outcome was but, yes folks, theft happens everywhere and Disneyworld is not excluded!
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: CR CL & Poly CL

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
An iphone.
So....
Got her name.

Wow, did you ever hear back from Disney? I guess they wouldn't tell you even if they did fire her.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

Awhile back a front desk CM at Saratoga Springs was arrested for taking part in a credit card "skimming" ring. So it could be anybody you hand your card over to. Even at Disney World. Although unless you are willing to pay cash for everything, it's kind of difficult to get through without letting someone see your credit card.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: