Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #1
SweetieinVT
Earning My Ears

CSR vs POR for family of 4 adults and 4 children

We'll be traveling in April with my parents and my four kids (9YO DD, 7YO DS, 4YO DS, and 3YO DD). The plan is to get two rooms (requesting connecting rooms, which I know are not guaranteed) at one of the moderates. I've narrowed it down to CSR and POR as our top two choices. Which resort would you recommend for our trip and why (considering pool, resort layout, rooms, transportation, food)?

SweetieinVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #2
Wild4Walt
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at both and both are wonderful resorts. The theme IMO is a bit stronger at POR.

For me the question would come down to transportation. CSR has a bit of a leg up in that category since it only drops at the one resort. POR buses run between POR and POFQ.

If you have your own car, then here are a few other things to consider:

* POR is more centrally located and driving to the parks is pretty easy to all locations ( AK is the furthest and hardest to get to from this area )
* The Pepper Market is technically a Food Court but it doesn't work like your average food court, making the experience more pleasant.
* If you have swimmers I prefer the pool at POR - I like the lay out better and the proximity of the outdoor pool to the bar is also very nice.

We prefer the POR but I'm not really into the SW theme and I really like the location.

POR Oct 14 / POP Oct 12 / Poly Oct 12 / CBR Nov 11 / POR Oct 10 /Pop May 10/Poly Nov 09 / CBR Mar 09 / BWI - Feb 09 / BC- Oct 08 / POFQ - Feb 08 / SSR- Dec 07 / POR - Oct 07 / Poly Oct 05
Wild4Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM   #3
kbmartin
Mouseketeer

I have not stayed at CSR, but we just got back from a trip in which we stayed at POR. Personally, I love how beautiful POR is. I also enjoyed the boat transportation to Downtown Disney. With that said, bus transportation at POR was awful. We were at POR for nine days, and half the trip the buses were fine. The second half of the trip, we waited ages for buses. On at least two occasions, we waited at least 20 min for a bus. One couple at the bus stop shared that they had been waiting 30 min for a bus to MK, only for it to pull up completely full. Oftentimes it seemed we were the only resort waiting with a crowd for buses to leave the parks. My DH and I are not sure we would stay at POR again just based on buses. Even the All-Star Resorts seemed to have it together, transportation-wise.

1992 - CBR - I was six years old and was so in love with the World! | 1994 - Offsite for Christmas : | 1996 - Offsite | 1999 - Offsite for Thanksgiving with Cousins | 2004 - Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Girls Trip | 2006 - POR Mom/Daughter Trip | 2007 - Offsite Spring Break Universal/Sea World Trip with Friends | 2014 - POR Delayed Honeymoon/First Anniversary Trip!!!
kbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #4
Jarvis23
Mouseketeer

My vote would be for CSR. The pool there is much better than POR and has a awesome slide! Also, CSR is more centrally located if you look at a map of WDW.
Jarvis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #5
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both, I would say that POR is much more situated to families with young children. I love CSR, but use that as my solo trip place as I find it to be more adult themed than other options. No matter what you choose, have fun…and I'm sure you will!

ASMo -1999, POP -2006, DLR - 2007, ASMo -2008, ASMu -2009, BCV - 2010, CSR - 2011, POFQ - 2012, BC - 2012, WL / CR - 2013 POR - 2014, POP! - 2014 POFQ - 2014 SO Blessed !
DWillowBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #6
Tilnar
Addicted to the Magic

I've stayed at both, and much prefer CSR -- the bus service is better (no sharing, 4 stops), the food court was great (although I've heard it's changed since last visit, so take with a grain of salt), the pool is huge and has the best waterslide -- and there are a whole lot of fun kid activities poolside, there's a nice TS restaurant on resort if you want a more formal sit-down meal, you can get food delivery to your room, and generally, we love the theme -- it seems far more colourful and fun than the more laid back POR (pool notwithstanding) -- Of course, there seem to be a lot of people who don't like the theme at CSR and prefer POR, so I'd recommend looking at pictures of each and figuring out which suits you more.

[Also, being tall, I'm rather fond of the Queen sized beds..]
Tilnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #7
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifinallar View Post
I've stayed at both, and much prefer CSR -- the bus service is better (no sharing, 4 stops), the food court was great (although I've heard it's changed since last visit, so take with a grain of salt), the pool is huge and has the best waterslide -- and there are a whole lot of fun kid activities poolside, there's a nice TS restaurant on resort if you want a more formal sit-down meal, you can get food delivery to your room, and generally, we love the theme -- it seems far more colourful and fun than the more laid back POR (pool notwithstanding) -- Of course, there seem to be a lot of people who don't like the theme at CSR and prefer POR, so I'd recommend looking at pictures of each and figuring out which suits you more.

[Also, being tall, I'm rather fond of the Queen sized beds..]
Did they finally get queen sized beds at csr? When we were there last November they were still full sized. We were going to stay there last time but my son is very tall so we ended up at POR. We ended up loving it (stayed in alligator bayou) still want to try csr but not a big fan of there food court (took a bus over one time to check it out) but love the look of the resort

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)

Last edited by babydoll65; Yesterday at 05:01 PM.
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM   #8
SweetieinVT
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll65 View Post
Did they finally get queen sized beds at cbr? When we were there last November they were still full sized. We were going to stay there last time but my son is very tall so we ended up at POR. We ended up loving it (stayed in alligator bayou) still want to try cbr but not a big fan of there food court (took a bus over one time to check it out) but love the look of the resort
From what I've seen they will be refurbing to move to queen beds into the spring. They certainly aren't committing them yet, which is a dealbreaker for me.

SweetieinVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild4Walt View Post
I've stayed at both and both are wonderful resorts. The theme IMO is a bit stronger at POR.

For me the question would come down to transportation. CSR has a bit of a leg up in that category since it only drops at the one resort. POR buses run between POR and POFQ.

If you have your own car, then here are a few other things to consider:

* POR is more centrally located and driving to the parks is pretty easy to all locations ( AK is the furthest and hardest to get to from this area )
* The Pepper Market is technically a Food Court but it doesn't work like your average food court, making the experience more pleasant.
* If you have swimmers I prefer the pool at POR - I like the lay out better and the proximity of the outdoor pool to the bar is also very nice.

We prefer the POR but I'm not really into the SW theme and I really like the location.
Just wanted to show the contrast in opinions here (respectfully!)....

POR and POFQ only share buses intermittently and it's during slow days/times. We've stayed at POR twice and out of all our days there, we only stopped at POFQ once. So they do have their own buses most of the time.

We found CSR to be more centrally located between the parks. POR is closer to MK and DTD, but CSR is closer to AK, DHS, and Epcot. Really, a toss up.

We hated Pepper Market at CSR. However, its worth noting that their "unique food court" set up has now changed. Previously, you used to receive a card at the entrance, they would stamp your card with whatever you ordered, a server would seat you, bring you drinks, and clean up after you, and you'd hand the cashier your card on the way out to pay. They've since done away with the servers and you pay while your food is still in hand. They do have the card system still. I prefer it this way, so you can seat yourself and get your own drinks, and not be compelled to tip. But we didn't care for the food or hours of Pepper Market.

Lastly, we thought the main pool at CSR trumped POR. POR's is smaller and more shaded. We found it to be more crowded and not as nice theming. Just our opinion!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #10
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetieinVT View Post
From what I've seen they will be refurbing to move to queen beds into the spring. They certainly aren't committing them yet, which is a dealbreaker for me.
I did love having the queen sized beds over full but not a total deal breaker since we will be staying at pop century on our next trip. We will be traveling with my sister in law and family and they need to save some money. It's there first trip and I want them to see that they can afford a trip to wdw without going broke. But we stayed at POR on our last trip and it was great. You have use of both resort's (pofq). You can take the water taxi to dtd . The food court is very good or you can walk over to pofq, there menu is a little bit different. You can use the pools at both resort's too.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #11
caravarela
Mouseketeer

CSR has had queen beds. CBR is the one that didn't and has been going through refurb this year to get them.

Nov/Dec 08: Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa
Nov/Dec 09: Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa
Nov/Dec 10: 2Nights CSR, 7Nights Polynesian
Nov/Dec 11: Coronado Springs "Surprise the kids" trip
Nov/Dec 12: Coronado Springs
November 13: Caribbean Beach Pirate Room
November 14: Coronado Springs
caravarela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #12
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

CSR -
- Queen beds and has been as long as I remember.
- Pepper Market just like all other food courts. Pick a counter, order and wait for them to cook, go to checkout, pay, go sit. Get your drinks etc at drink station.

We love both! Pluses for each:
CSR
- Central location with good bus transportation.
- Great pool with counter service there, never problem with getting chairs and awesome slide.
- Doors between room and dressing area.
- More dining options than all other moderates.
POR
- Boat to downtown Disney
- Food court is very efficiently run
- Great lounge entertainment
- Option to use POFQ pool
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #13
Tilnar
Addicted to the Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll65 View Post
Did they finally get queen sized beds at csr? When we were there last November they were still full sized. We were going to stay there last time but my son is very tall so we ended up at POR. We ended up loving it (stayed in alligator bayou) still want to try csr but not a big fan of there food court (took a bus over one time to check it out) but love the look of the resort
They've had them for years -- at least the rooms I've been in. (In fact, it says so when you do a room search -- all room classes are Queen [unless you upgrade to King])

Unless you're thinking of Carribean Beach, that has full rather than queen?

Last edited by Tilnar; Yesterday at 10:51 PM.
Tilnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: