Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
tinkerbee
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." -Walt Disney

POP for 5 days mixed feelings

DH and I just returned from our mini vacation at POP Century and we both have really mixed reviews.

Pros:

-Room was very clean

-Assigned room we requested 70's Lakeview building 6

-Felt like we were one of the only ones at the resort as long as we stayed on the back side of the resort

-Very easy walk to main building. I don't understand when people say it is such a far walk at the end of the night but then again we don't have children. Although we could walk from one end of the resort to the other in about 7 minutes.
-Loved being able to walk easily to AOA and eat in their food court. It was better than POP's

-Would sit out on the bench and enjoyed the morning coffee looking over Hourglass Lake which is a plus over the All-Stars

-The pools were nice just a little chilly.

-The grounds are very nicely kept.

Cons

-Check-in CM did not know what she was doing. We used on-line check-in which I didn't see where it made it any faster. We actually checked in faster at ASMu last month after we had made our reservations an hour before. She told us we would have to come back to find out what room we had which wasn't true they text that too you.

-The bed was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in. My shoulders were sore every morning(I'm a side sleeper). Neither of us ever felt rested. We didn't spend much time in the parks this trip so there was no reason to be tired.

-Bus transportation was horrible for us. I don't know if we just had bad luck but it took forever to get any where. It took about 55 minutes to get to AK one morning (from the time we arrived up front until we arrived to the front gates.)
We waited only 5 minutes at Epcot for a bus but than sat on the bus for 30 minutes while they changed bus drivers. One afternoon we split up at the front of MK to see who arrived back at the resort faster. I drove he took the bus. I was in the room for 38 minutes before he made it back. The only park we didn't have an issue with was DHS. It also seemed POP bus stops were the furthest from all the entrances.

Over all we would not stay at POP again unless it was only for a night maybe two. We loved the resort grounds but the uncomfortable bed and slow transportation we encountered we would have to pick another resort for any extended stay.

AKV Nov POP Oct ASMu Sept CSR Jan 2014
March 10Dec, Jan 2009
August March 2008
Dec, Nov, October August, July.
SSR&OKW June 2007
VWL Christmas 2006,POR August 2006
Coronado and OKW May 2005
OKW, POR and VWL January 2004
Fort Wilderness Cabins Easter 2003
OKW and ASMu August 2002
POR Oct 2001 ASMo Jaunuary 2001
Off site 2000, 1989 and 1986
tinkerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbee View Post
DH and I just returned from our mini vacation at POP Century and we both have really mixed reviews.

Pros:

-Room was very clean

-Felt like we were one of the only ones at the resort as long as we stayed on the back side of the resort

-Very easy walk to main building. I don't understand when people say it is such a far walk at the end of the night but then again we don't have children. Although we could walk from one end of the resort to the other in about 7 minutes.
-Loved being able to walk easily to AOA and eat in their food court. It was better than POP's

-Would sit out on the bench and enjoyed the morning coffee looking over Hourglass Lake which is a plus over the All-Stars

Cons

-Check-in CM did not know what she was doing. We used on-line check-in which I didn't see where it made it any faster. We actually checked in faster at ASMu last month after we had made our reservations an hour before. She told us we would have to come back to find out what room we had which wasn't true they text that too you.

-The bed was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in. My shoulders were sore every morning(I'm a side sleeper). Neither of us ever felt rested. We didn't spend much time in the parks this trip so there was no reason to be tired.

-Bus transportation was horrible for us. I don't know if we just had bad luck but it took forever to get any where. It took about 55 minutes to get to AK one morning (from the time we arrived up front until we arrived to the front gates.)
We waited only 5 minutes at Epcot for a bus but than sat on the bus for 30 minutes while they changed bus drivers. One afternoon we split up at the front of MK to see who arrived back at the resort faster. I drove he took the bus. I was in the room for 38 minutes before he made it back. The only park we didn't have an issue with was DHS. It also seemed POP bus stops were the furthest from all the entrances.

Over all we would not stay at POP again unless it was only for a night maybe two. We loved the resort grounds but the uncomfortable bed and slow transportation we encountered we would have to pick another resort for any extended stay.
Gosh...so sorry you had such a bad experience with transportation. We were at Pop Oct 17-26, and had no transportation issues, with the exception of a wheelchair ramp issue that took 20 minutes or so to resolve. We found the buses to come much more frequently than in years past. Pop's stop has always been one of, if not the, furthest away at the parks. In the grand scheme of things, though, we've never minded. We walk several miles per day anyway, so the extra few hundred feet doesn't bother us. Hope the rest of your trip was wonderful!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Pros:

I have always felt the walk even to the furthest room on the third floor was a reasonable walk and far less than the walks I am subjected to at a moderate resort.

Quote:
Cons

-Check-in CM did not know what she was doing.

-The bed was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept in.
Sounds like your online check in never happened. If it did, the room should have already been assigned. I wonder if that was the CM's fault or maybe she was trying to correct the problem that already existed?

As far as the beds, I always find values to have the least comfortable beds. Sometimes that's the perk to getting to splurge on a nicer resort.

Nice objective review!

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Doing online checkin has not resulted in my having a room assigned to me upon arrival. I have usually been told they will text me when it's ready, with the room number, but that seldom happens. And it's been the same at every resort.
I have had the best transportation at Pop! I've seldom waited very long for a bus...either at the resort or at the park. Bad luck having the drivers change at Epcot.....I've always had the change happen at DTD. Drives me nutty.
And I guess I'm lucky. I like a really firm mattress....the ones at Pop always felt great to me. But to each his own. I will say that the worst check in CMs I've had have been at Pop. I'm not sure whether or not it's because they train so many CMs or what...but I always get CMs that either aren't sure what they're doing, or that have some kind of attitude.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
olwyngdh
DIS Veteran

I tend to get the check in CM that has just come off of training. At least last time she was from a town where we used to live and we were able to chat about that while she waited for her manager to get there to show her something on the computer.

olwyngdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
tinkerbee
"Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever." -Walt Disney

A lot less of a walk. I personally do not have a problem walking around any of the resorts because I think that is park of the perk of a Disney Resort, seeing the resort grounds. I had a friend staying at CBR that I had not seen in 6 yrs so we went over and visited her and her SIL before they left the next day for their Disney Cruise. Her SIL was in a car accident many years ago and has hip issues, so walking can give her problems(but she still does it). We all walked over to the CBR main island and it was difficult for her even tho they were in Aruba 52, I think our room at POP was a shorter walk to the main building than theirs was at CBR.

I have stayed at ASMu and ASMo and found their beds to be comfortable enough. I never woke up sore or tossed and turned like at POP. It was really unfortunate because we enjoyed everything about the resort and would have been happy to stay there another time for an extended time but I can't get over how much I felt like I never slept and woke up so sore every morning.

I think with the transportation it was just bad luck. Buses seemed to come and go all the time. While waiting for the AK bus there were 4 MK buses, 3 EPCOT, 2 DHS and 1 DTD bus. I have always found taking our car was better unless we planned on drinking at EPCOT or DTD we would take the bus or boat depending on where we stayed.

March 10Dec, Jan 2009
August March 2008
SSR&OKW June 2007
OKW and ASMu August 2002
Old 10-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
OasterP
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Pros:

-Room was very clean

Cons

Glad you had fun overall! One thing I realized with the busses is if I was at a park and the AOA bus was there and not Pop - I just took AOA. It was so handy to be able to take whichever one I wanted.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
shaneray
Earning My Ears

just goes to show, even the resorts that have the best reputation for buses can have issues.
shaneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
tinkerbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Doing online checkin has not resulted in my having a room assigned to me upon arrival. I have usually been told they will text me when it's ready, with the room number, but that seldom happens. And it's been the same at every resort.
I have had the best transportation at Pop! I've seldom waited very long for a bus...either at the resort or at the park. Bad luck having the drivers change at Epcot.....I've always had the change happen at DTD. Drives me nutty.
And I guess I'm lucky. I like a really firm mattress....the ones at Pop always felt great to me. But to each his own. I will say that the worst check in CMs I've had have been at Pop. I'm not sure whether or not it's because they train so many CMs or what...but I always get CMs that either aren't sure what they're doing, or that have some kind of attitude.
I knew our room would not be assigned or ready when we arrived since it was at 9 am, but she one, had no clue that when they text the room is ready they give you the room number. She said we would have to come back to check-in, stand in line and get our room number that way. I even asked her "are you sure our room number is not texted to us?" "No you have to return to the front desk" Wellllll okay.... Our room was ready at 12:30 and room number was texted to us. We just walked directly to our room. Two I don't see what the real point of online check-in is since it seemed the exact same as all my other check in experiences I've had at all the other resorts we have stayed in. Other than I never request a certain room and this time we had the chance to during the online check-in. Maybe that is the perk???

DH loves a hard bed and even he had a difficult time feeling rested and woke up sore the first two days. I was saddened by this fact since we both found the resort so enjoyable.

March 10Dec, Jan 2009
August March 2008
SSR&OKW June 2007
OKW and ASMu August 2002
Old 10-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by APiratesLifeForMe2 View Post
Sounds like your online check in never happened. If it did, the room should have already been assigned.
Your room is already assigned before you arrive whether you do online check-in or not. If you arrive early and you room is not ready, they will not tell you your room number. They will notify you of your room number via text when it's ready. Online check-in does increase the chance of you having a room ready when you arrive, but it's not always the case.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
FireflyTrance
Mouseketeer

Sorry you had so many issues with the buses. I stayed at POP and found the bus service to be good overall. I feel like for the price POP is still a nice resort. I agree that the beds are not particularly comfortable.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

POP is our favorite resort of all. We always drive so no transportation problems and have had no problems at check in. Another poster was right tho about them texting you the room #. That has never happened as many times as we have stayed there. But then most of the time our room is ready when we arrive.
I did notice the last time we were there that the bed was kinda uncomfortable.

Book Challenge Goal 80/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

I think Pop's mattresses are the hardest I've ever slept on. We had to change resorts after two nights. We woke up with very sore backs. I love Pop, and am sad that I won't stay there again because of the rock hard beds. We stayed at CSR in Sept and their mattresses were very comfy.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Amanda999
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneray View Post
just goes to show, even the resorts that have the best reputation for buses can have issues.
Yeah, I don't rate resorts by my bus experience. It's just randomly good or bad any particular day (or, any particular bus 'trip' you take - meaning, can be good at 8am, then long wait for someone who shows up at, say, 8:10am). We waited 45 minutes once for a bus from AK to Poly, in late August heat, and it made 2 or 3 stops before it got to Poly. Took forever.j

I agree with OP's frustration about check in. We've checked in 3x in 2014 at 3 different resorts (AoA, Pop, ASMov). Not once did the CM seem to know what s/he was doing, and not once did it seem faster having done online check in. Never got a text anywhere. And, paid for preferred but always got the very farthest room possible (from the food court/buses) in that category.
Amanda999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: