Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
VAB2013
Earning My Ears

Dream May 5-9 newbie review

We just took our first ever cruise on the Dream and it was amazing. I know a lot of newbie cruisers check out this board so maybe this will help someone else decide whether DCL is right for them. We went on the cruise with my in laws, my sis in law's family and her three boys, and my husband and 4 year old son.

We had a beautiful room with a veranda and really enjoyed being able to sit outside. Our room was on the 9th deck aft and was a great location. Our stateroom hostess, Nikki, was amazing. She made adorable towel animals every night and she even gave me an extra set of the fabulous DCL toiletries to take home.

We stayed on the ship in Nassau and that gave us the chance to meet most of the characters and have our son's picture taken with them.

My son went to the kids club three times, during open house, once while we went to brunch at Palo and once while we saw Iron Man 3. The first time we went was during open house and Micky, Pluto, and Goofy showed up. He enjoyed his time in the club while he was there but didn't want to do back. One small hiccup, when I was at the kids club they asked me if I was there to pick up "Mary", but we only had boys in our party. Somehow I was authorized to pick up someone I didn't know. Obviously I would not know the password but still a little odd.

The craziest thing happened the first night. My son was exhausted so we skipped the show and took him to the pool. A little girl on the pool deck asked us to help her find her parents. I walked her around the pool but she didn't see them. I then took her to a cast member. She wanted me to stay with her but the cast member wouldn't let me. He walked her around the pool again and then I assume he took her to the kids club. She had a band on her wrist.

The only weak spot were the pools. I knew what to expect from reading this board but they really are too small for the number of people on board. My son loved the Mickey slide and did the aquaduck twice.

Castaway Cay is beautiful and organized so well. We had no problem getting a great spot with an umbrella and the food they served was really good. We spent the morning there and after lunch went back to the ship and enjoyed the aquaduck with no lines.

We met a cast member from where we live and she and my son got along great. On the last morning we found a gift from her outside our stateroom so that was really sweet. I would like to send DCL a note about her so if anyone knows how to do that, please let me know. We also received a magical moment from our dining room team which was really sweet.

The pirate party was a blast! We got there right before it started which was a mistake. It seemed like everyone on the ship was out there. We missed the first couple of minutes trying to find a spot but now we know better for next time. The fireworks were awesome.

Overall we have found that we really enjoyed going on a cruise. We live about 8 hours away so driving is fairly easy. It is so relaxing since almost everything is taken care of for you. We probably won't be able to go again next year but plan to in the next 2-3 years. We are hoping to do a longer cruise next time. 4 days was great but hoping for 7 days next time
VAB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I was on the same cruise:-)

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
VAB2013
Earning My Ears

Kerry, hope you had as great a time as we did!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
The craziest thing happened the first night. My son was exhausted so we skipped the show and took him to the pool. A little girl on the pool deck asked us to help her find her parents. I walked her around the pool but she didn't see them. I then took her to a cast member. She wanted me to stay with her but the cast member wouldn't let me. He walked her around the pool again and then I assume he took her to the kids club. She had a band on her wrist.
Goodness I hope she found her parents. I can't even imagine how she could be by the pool by herself. I'm assuming this was at night because you guys skipped the show to go to the pool.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
VAB2013
Earning My Ears

Yes it was at night after early dinner seating was over. It was completely dark out. She had a kids club band so I'm sure they found her parents. I felt so bad for her. She was so sweet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: