Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Booking excursions - before you leave or on the ship?

Is it necessary to book port adventures before you leave or can you do it on the fly while you are on the ship? I really don't want to book it in advance and prefer to see how the days go on board.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

I do it in advance for a 7 day or more cruise, how many days are you on the ship? If it is just Nassau and Castaway Cay, I would wait, but if it on the 7 day I would book.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
Is it necessary to book port adventures before you leave or can you do it on the fly while you are on the ship? I really don't want to book it in advance and prefer to see how the days go on board.
Any excursions that I'm sure I want to do, I book ahead.

I will point out that there are a finite number of openings on any excursion, once they are full, they can take no more. You take a chance that an excursion will be full if you wait until onboard to book it.

That said, yes, you can book excursions onboard, if there is room.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

If by chance you are booking with Disney, they don't charge you until you go on the trip (and there are some 3 day cancellation policies) but for instance, we knew we wanted to do the Sea Lions, and that there are limits on animal encounters (verses selling as many Beach day passes as they can.) So we booked our Sea Lions, and waited until we got on board to book the beach days because we were worried the animal encounters would sell out. (They were all booked except for Disney, so I was worried with only 2 weeks left to the trip.)

So basically if you book through Disney, you have nothing really to lose by reserving it, except it being sold out if you don't.

We decided at the last minute to try to get on our friends St Maar hike, and it did sell out. We still made it work by hiring a taxi to take us to their rendezvous point, but it was our mistake for not booking it earlier and it did sell out.

It really does depend on your excursion. If for instance, like my parents, you want to buy the Blue Lagoon Beach Day that includes the ferry, the island and the lunch, they bought that the night before and did just fine. If you are getting a tour that has a bus or a boat, like a snorkel tour or something, you may book that as soon as you know so that it doesn't sell out. Especially if you want to do something even more limited like a dolphin or other animal excursion. And it depends on when you go.

Basically, its up to you if you wait. But if you already know its what you want, it might be best to get yours reserved as soon as you can. I start to get nervous if I don't have at least ONE tour booked at least a few weeks ahead of my trip. (The hike was kinda maybe we will, maybe we won't, ok we will situation. We already had booked a snorkel catamaran that trip so we knew at least one day was gonna be great.)
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

I ended up booking the Graycliff Chocolate Factory Tour because I think my 6 year old would like that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: