Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle72 View Post
I'm not entirely sure what made us not love it....I had visited the BWI many times before, having stayed in all the other Epcot resorts. BWI just wasn't as special as some of the other resorts. We liked many things about BWI-and still had a great time. We just wouldn't return. As an example- we thought we wouldn't love Contemporary but tried it and it seemed very magical to us- the monorail going through was perfect for my DS5- to watch going through CR or ride! When we stayed at Poly it was because BC was undergoing pool rehab. We were slightly disappointed but we loved the relaxing atmosphere and all the unexpected benefits (fireworks from beach more special than we thought, tiki torches at night etc...) and it became our favorite!! But- yes as one poster posted. Maybe BWI was a bit boring- not outside on the BoardWalk at night, but the interior. I have visited GF for meals and liked it...but after staying at BWI and being underwhelmed I am a little concerned.
i could be wrong, but it sounds as if your DS5's enjoyment of each resort is paramount (perfectly fine, of course, it just affects which resorts i would suggest).
as much as we love the GF, i honestly don't think a 5yo boy would feel the same (the lobby has amazing architecture, piano player, etc, and the entire resort is incredibly elegant ). if your family didn't care for the lively elegance at the BWI, i doubt the more sedate elegance of the GF would do.

IMHO, CR, BC, or poly would probably be the best fit for you now (and when the kids are bit older, try the "other" resorts. once my kids - and nephews - hit about 8yo, they preferred the BWI/BWV, GF, YC rather than BC, etc).
another suggestion:
we used to do "try a new resort night(s)".... you could start the vacation with a night or 2 at the GF, and end it with your current favorite
Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Belle72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotillard View Post
Stick with the GF. You won't regret it.
We liked BWI but it had much more of a "cooped up" feeling, IMO. GF is open and gorgeous and top notch. You can see the other resorts in the MK area and the Castle and the Seven Seas Lagoon, etc.

BWI is similar in that it is very pretty and "feminine" - but that's it.
Thanks! That is very helpful. All the posts have been very helpful. My kids' opinions of resorts do matter, but are not the only factor. I think we will go ahead with our GF reservation. I am thinking over the advice of a split stay- although we have never done that and I don't think I'd like repacking! I really wanted confirmation that the "feel" of the resort was different than BWI.
Belle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Wendy5055
DIS Veteran

If it helps...my dd11 loves the GF!!! We have stayed at the Poly and I can say that the GF has a brighter airy feeling to the rooms than the Poly. It also doesn't seem as spread out. We are staying at the Contemporary so it will be interesting. The GF remains our home away from home and we love it there!!!

Contemporary, July 2014
Wilderness Lodge, July 2013
Grand Floridian, July 2011
Polynesian, April 2010
Grand Floridian, May 2009
POP Century Aug/Sept 2008
POP Century October 2005
POFQ 1998
Offsite 1995
Offsite 1st Time EVER WDW 1985!!!
Wendy5055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
Belle72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy5055 View Post
If it helps...my dd11 loves the GF!!! We have stayed at the Poly and I can say that the GF has a brighter airy feeling to the rooms than the Poly. It also doesn't seem as spread out. We are staying at the Contemporary so it will be interesting. The GF remains our home away from home and we love it there!!!
Thanks- it does help. My dd will be 11 when we stay at GF. She is looking forward to it as the style appeals to her very much. I do find the grounds and lobby of GF beautiful, and have heard the service is wonderful. I have heard GF explained as similar to BWI so after having stayed at BWI I began to second guess the decision to stay there- and the quest to give all the deluxe resorts a try. Wendy 5055- We stayed at the CR in March 2012 and had a great experience. I hope you do, too.

For anyone considering BWI -please know we did like the resort and LOVE the Epcot resort locations for convenience and the beauty of Crescent Lake. Both DD10 and DS6 loved the pool area. For our family it just wasn't quite as magical as some other vacations. Also- Boardwalk Bakery was closed so some of the QS dining options were limited which may have played into our overall feelings.
Belle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotillard View Post
Stick with the GF. You won't regret it.
We liked BWI but it had much more of a "cooped up" feeling, IMO. GF is open and gorgeous and top notch. You can see the other resorts in the MK area and the Castle and the Seven Seas Lagoon, etc.

BWI is similar in that it is very pretty and "feminine" - but that's it.

Totally agree with you. That is exactly what we thought..."cooped up"... could not have used a better word. Besides the "feminine" similarity, they are nothing alike.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle72 View Post

For anyone considering BWI -please know we did like the resort and LOVE the Epcot resort locations for convenience and the beauty of Crescent Lake. Both DD10 and DS6 loved the pool area. For our family it just wasn't quite as magical as some other vacations. Also- Boardwalk Bakery was closed so some of the QS dining options were limited which may have played into our ]overall feelings.
This was also our experience. We liked it, but didn't love BWI. My DD12 prefers to stay at the GF and my DS5 loves it there. Hope you have a great stay!

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I haven't stayed at BWI or any of the Epcot resorts. (They are next on our list with our first stay at BCV this summer.) However, I would absolutely encourage you to try our favorite--- the GF. It is beautiful and has an airy, gracious atmosphere with gorgeous grounds and nice, big rooms. I would also say that next time, you should try AKL. It is our #2 favorite resort. We love the African themed lobby with its beautiful dark woods and warm colors and where else can you see giraffes from your balcony?
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

So funny you ask this question, because we've stayed at every deluxe resort except for GF. Like a previous poster, I won't judge a resort until we've actually stayed there - not good enough to just walk through the lobby or eat there. Of course, the problem here is that we love so many other resorts - BC, Poly and BWI are at the very top of my list (and that's BWI with club level - wonderful!) And we're a family of five, so it's hard to manage all those favorites!

We'll try GF someday, but it will definitely be part of a split stay. So for OP, that's what I'd recommend. A few nights at GF and then end your trip with an old favorite. We like to split stays between the MK and Epcot area, but do whatever is best for your family. Disney makes it very easy to transfer, and it allows you to try new resorts without missing out on old favorites.

Good luck with your decision!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

One other thing you might want to consider is that DVC construction is scheduled to start at the Poly "by the end of the year". Some people feel this will really change the feel of the Poly, if you are in this camp you may want one last trip before the construction begins...

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: