Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #181
mattcrimson
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

I was there this past week and mentioned the flies to a cast member. He told us that WDW had switched to a "natural" fertilizer about a month ago. This seemed to attract the flies and they have been regretting the decision
All Star Sports 2007-All Star Sports 2008-All Star Sports 2009-Pop Century 2011-Boardwalk 2012-Pop Century 2013-Boardwalk 2013 Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge 2014-Disney Dream & Port Orleans Riverside
mattcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #182
BoardWalkBelle
DIS Veteran

The flies are not a result if disneys fertizler as the flies are very much off property too,, or should i say were..i havent seen any fliesorf love bugs in two days..yay.
BoardWalkBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #183
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Yes, Flies are everywhere, but I knew something was up when we were there last week because the amounts of flies were way above normal. The fertilizer thing makes a lot of sense. Either way something is clearly attracting them to that area because we live in Orlando and we have the occasional fly, but noting any where near the insanity we faced last week and the beginning of this week. Some folks are saying that it was not too bad today, hopefully they have decided to move along.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #184
g8torphan
Mouseketeer

Down here now....hitting MK in the AM, but did DTD tonight. Saw 1 fly in Earl of Sandwich, but that was all:-)
It was breezy do I think that helped. I'll try to update a few times throughout the weekend.

Magic Kingdom 2.2.13 Magic Kingdom 5.17.13 Epcot 5.18.13 Animal Kingdom 5.19.13
Magic Kingdom 2.25.12 Hollywood Studios 5.17.12Magic Kingdom 5.18.12 Animal Kingdom 5.19.12

DIS Dad's Club Member # 698
g8torphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #185
cancersucks
Mouseketeer

Been here since 5/11 and luckily only noticed them too bad at Jessie and Woody m&g behind Splash. They were sure bad back there, but haven't noticed them anywhere else.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #186
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torphan View Post
Down here now....hitting MK in the AM, but did DTD tonight. Saw 1 fly in Earl of Sandwich, but that was all:-)
It was breezy do I think that helped. I'll try to update a few times throughout the weekend.
Keep us updated! Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #187
mousefan73
DIS Veteran

We live up north near a farm and have 4 seasons. So i cannto compare our climate to central FL. But did FL have any odd temps over winter? I know by us if we have a mild winter we have more flys in the spring. A harsh winter seems to kill off more.

It could just be a perfect storm of climate and swarms mating. One year by us was horrible. we couldnt eat outside all summer.. Next years were normal.

I highly doubt the fertilizar plays such a big roll. or else we'd be swarmed all year!
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #188
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan73 View Post
We live up north near a farm and have 4 seasons. So i cannto compare our climate to central FL. But did FL have any odd temps over winter? I know by us if we have a mild winter we have more flys in the spring. A harsh winter seems to kill off more.

It could just be a perfect storm of climate and swarms mating. One year by us was horrible. we couldnt eat outside all summer.. Next years were normal.

I highly doubt the fertilizar plays such a big roll. or else we'd be swarmed all year!
We did have cooler than normal temps in March and April, and I thought this last week when we were staying over there. I live 2 hours west and haven't had a fly issue and a lot of people that live closer to the parks say the same thing. Again, when we were in DTD and at the Buena Vista Palace we didn't see any flies.The big swarms that we have seen have been concentrated to portions of the parks, especially MK. It sounds like the situation might be getting better, lets hope it keeps up
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #189
pampam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Um... I don't know about where you live, but around here houseflies don't bite. Neither do gnats, though midges sometimes will and blackflies always do. And horseflies will happily take a chunk out of you.

Houseflies barf on your food and lay their eggs in feces and can spread disease, but they do not bite. It'd be pretty hard, considering their mouth parts look like a sponge on a stick! (Which is why they spit enzymes onto things they want to eat, in order to break it down into a liquid they can soak up.)
Most of what you say is true. There is an exception most people do not know about, however. House flies will bite just before a rain. It is however unusual, but it is one way of predicting the weather or rain, just like when the leaves on a tree show the underside it means rain. It is almost rare, however. I have only been bitten by a housefly once. And no, it was not a deer fly or horse fly.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. I didn't mean to go off topic.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #190
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Life View Post
I am wearing this to the parks next week. If you can't beat em, join em.
Oh My... I can hear it now, 4 million Flys all in unison saying, "Daddy"....
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #191
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Most of what you say is true. There is an exception most people do not know about, however. House flies will bite just before a rain. It is however unusual, but it is one way of predicting the weather or rain, just like when the leaves on a tree show the underside it means rain. It is almost rare, however. I have only been bitten by a housefly once. And no, it was not a deer fly or horse fly.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. I didn't mean to go off topic.
I'm sorry, that's a cool little legend, but the simple fact is that houseflies CAN'T bite.

Observe:

It's not that they won't bite, it's that they physically can't.

So, whatever bit you may have looked something like a housefly, but it wasn't.

Also, in case you don't believe me, here's a link to Penn State University's page on house flies: http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/house-flies

Quote:
House flies can be easily identified by the four dark, longitudinal stripes on top of the thorax, or middle body region. They vary in length from l/8-l/4 of an inch. Their mouth parts are adapted for sponging up liquids; they cannot bite.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #192
mommy2twocuties
Earning My Ears

We leave in 4 days I really hope they are all gone......
mommy2twocuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #193
g8torphan
Mouseketeer

UPDATE: Waiting for Casey's to open...not an infestation by any means but there are some around. Haven't see s any swarms in NLF or tomorrow land....

Magic Kingdom 2.2.13 Magic Kingdom 5.17.13 Epcot 5.18.13 Animal Kingdom 5.19.13
Magic Kingdom 2.25.12 Hollywood Studios 5.17.12Magic Kingdom 5.18.12 Animal Kingdom 5.19.12

DIS Dad's Club Member # 698
g8torphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #194
rccllap
Who is this kid and why is he calling me Mom?

Mom was at HS this morning waiting for her photo with Chewie and said she brushed off one fly.

I doubt it's a "natural fertilizer." That sounds exactly like a made-up excuse in order to sound like they know what's going on when they don't. It happens all the time.

Disney sprays chemicals to control the mosquitoes on an almost nightly basis. It wouldn't be too much harder to find a way to repell or kill the flies, too.

I've always found the parks and resorts to be wonderfully bug-free, with the noteworthy exceptions of the love bugs and that one really big tree in the middle of AK...

Edited to add: Mom just texted and said the other guests in line with her for Chewie said the flies were really bad at MK. She has only seen "a few."

Whoohooooo

Last edited by rccllap; 05-17-2013 at 10:45 AM.
rccllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #195
OhioWDWDuo
Mouseketeer

Here right now: flies were the worst at MK as others have said. Couldn't even enjoy our lunch at BOG because the flies were everywhere inside that place! We spent the whole time swatting the flies away from the food. Everyone including the CMs were commenting about how bad it was!

Today we're in DHS for SWW and have only seen a few! Our experience this week: flies were the worst at MK, followed by Epcot in WS, then AK, and DHS last. But maybe it's because we did AK and DHS later in the week and the fly issue is improving? Definitely saw the swarms in MK- pretty much all over. Hope it gets better for everyone with a trip soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: