Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #166
Wish Upon A Star
The TF thinks WUAS is corn cool!!
Caught Being Crabby
Has been known to wear Dorothy's red shoes and click her heels for no explicable reason :)

We were there 5/6 - 10 and yes, there were a ton of small black flies, they were bothersome, but honestly, I'd rather be swatting flies away from me, than having to run from bees!
Wilderness Lodge - 06/03, 10/05,
Contemporary - 08/06
Port Orleans Riverside - 10/07, 02/11, 03/13
Port Orleans French Quarter - 05/08, 10/08, 07/09, 05/10, 04/11, 05/11
Beach Club - 04/05, 07/10
Caribbean Beach - 10/10
BoardWalk Villas - 12/10
Dolphin - 10/11, 10/13, 11/13, 9/14
Yacht Club - 11/11

BoardWalk Inn - 4/12, 10/12
Coronado Springs - 11/12, 05/13, 05/14
Wish Upon A Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #167
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
A fly is a fly. I'm not mad, just frustrated that people keep suggesting that they are love bugs. One person even suggested cicadas. Geez....

The fact that these are, in fact, flies has been clarified many times over the duration of this thread.
Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire, you do know that "love bugs" are actually flies don't you?

Quote:
The “lovebug” (Figure 1) is a fly in the family Bibionidae that is easily identified by its black, slender body and red thorax. These small flies, also known as March flies, are closely related to mosquitoes and gnats.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg068
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #168
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire, you do know that "love bugs" are actually flies don't you?

Whatever they are we have never seen anything like it here in central FL and its getting worse daily got them by our house too which a few days ago I said we didn't
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #169
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Actually from my observations at the MK this morning, they are neither flies nor love bugs...

Awwwwwwwww .... so adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish Upon A Star View Post
We were there 5/6 - 10 and yes, there were a ton of small black flies, they were bothersome, but honestly, I'd rather be swatting flies away from me, than having to run from bees!
Yeah, I'd rather deal with flies than have my head caught in a sex cloud, be attacked by rabid raccoons, or be stalked by a serial killer. But, given the choice, I would choose none of the above.

Quote:

FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #170
ellone
DIS Veteran

We've found the flies all around our stroller when we leave it to go on rides. I'm good about only letting the kids drink water so it's not even like there's any sweet soda on the stroller to attract them.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #171
Otter49
DIS Veteran

Maybe a visual aid of what's being discussed would help.....

Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #172
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
They are not that bad in person. They remind me of lightening bugs, only dumber. The only real bad thing about them is having to wash the front of your car everyday during love bug season.

They just kind of float around and are much more interested in each other than anything else.

The flies certainly didn't ruin my good time, but sure did ruin a couple of meals. The positive thing about them is that the big numbers of them are only in isolated pockets so they are easy to get away from. There is an increase in solo flies, but at least the whole place isn't swarming.
I did not find them isolated at all, they were literally EVERYWHERE in large numbers both at Epcot and AK on Monday and DD on Sat.
In fact, I found it so annoying that I actually wrote to Disney to complain, and I rarely every complain about anything.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #173
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Are they flies (big filthy critters that stand around on your food rubbing their hands together evilly) or gnats (clouds of tiny critters that fly up your nose)? Do they bite? Do they follow you around, or mostly ignore you? Are they attracted to garbage?

Small flies that bite are blackflies and midges, but you'd know if you had them. They don't hang out in large groups. They act more like homing missiles and their bites will leave you bleeding.

If they're gnats, then the massive clouds of them are just them having sexy parties. They're random, and not interested in you (although they can seem to follow you around sometimes if you get your head stuck in the middle of a sex cloud) or your food. It was probably an unusually wet or warm spring, and a ton of them hatched all at once. Gnats are annoying, but harmless. When they're in breeding mode, they don't even eat.

From everything I've been reading, these sound more like gnats than flies.
They are flies, not gnats. blackflies or midges. They are houseflies, dirty filthy insects. I think we all know the difference, but, you never know. Having owned horses for many years, I am, unfortunately, more than slightly familiar with those nasty things.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #174
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

probably true, but, unlike flies or gnats, they do not bite.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #175
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
I did not find them isolated at all, they were literally EVERYWHERE in large numbers both at Epcot and AK on Monday and DD on Sat.
In fact, I found it so annoying that I actually wrote to Disney to complain, and I rarely every complain about anything.
I was there over last weekend and I've heard they are getting worse since then. For informational purposes I was at MK on Saturday and Epcot on Sunday. They were still isolated in those locations at that time.

I also spent 10 days there a couple of weeks ago and had commented on the flies. I saw them in the four major parks and DTD, but were light compared this past weekend. Clearly, it is a progressive problem.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #176
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
probably true, but, unlike flies or gnats, they do not bite.
Um... I don't know about where you live, but around here houseflies don't bite. Neither do gnats, though midges sometimes will and blackflies always do. And horseflies will happily take a chunk out of you.

Houseflies barf on your food and lay their eggs in feces and can spread disease, but they do not bite. It'd be pretty hard, considering their mouth parts look like a sponge on a stick! (Which is why they spit enzymes onto things they want to eat, in order to break it down into a liquid they can soak up.)
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #177
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Um... I don't know about where you live, but around here houseflies don't bite. Neither do gnats, though midges sometimes will and blackflies always do. And horseflies will happily take a chunk out of you.
I was thinking the same thing.

These are not biting flies, just nasty flies. If these were horseflies, WDW would be shut down. I have had some run ins with those and they will tear you up! I had one chase me down the road after I got in a car!

Quote:
Houseflies barf on your food and lay their eggs in feces and can spread disease, but they do not bite. It'd be pretty hard, considering their mouth parts look like a sponge on a stick! (Which is why they spit enzymes onto things they want to eat, in order to break it down into a liquid they can soak up.)
Gotta love your detailed insect info. I seriously can't wait to use the term "sex cloud" next time we encounter gnats. I know, immature, but oh so hilarious!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #178
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

This thread is making me so for my trip in a few days!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #179
Enjoying Life
Mouseketeer

I am wearing this to the parks next week. If you can't beat em, join em.

Enjoying Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #180
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Happy to report that we went to the Magic kingdom today and the flies are basically gone, no more swarms!!! We didn't see any love bugs either and yes they are two completely different types of insects!!!!

There was an annoying fly that buzzed around our table at the Crystal Palace but that was about it.

We were also at Animal Kingdom and we didn't see either bug there.

The flies seem to be taken care of and the seasonal love bugs are definitely fading fast!
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: