Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #136
Kitkat6595
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
we are here now and while eating my frankfurter in germany a group of flies snatched half of it and took off when i wasn't looking. when i chased after them a few of their friends flew off with my beer. i complained and disney gave me free captain eo fast passes.

Previous Trips
May 1987 - off-site
March 1996 - off-site
March 2003 - off-site
June 2013 - off-site, Windsor Hills
Kitkat6595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #137
LoriR
Mouseketeer and DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy got lost on the way to my house
Awesome VMK Friend

DISboards Moderator

We just returned and have never seen so many flies everywhere! I've been to Disney during many seasons and never encountered so many flies!

LoriR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #138
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Are they flies (big filthy critters that stand around on your food rubbing their hands together evilly) or gnats (clouds of tiny critters that fly up your nose)? Do they bite? Do they follow you around, or mostly ignore you? Are they attracted to garbage?

Small flies that bite are blackflies and midges, but you'd know if you had them. They don't hang out in large groups. They act more like homing missiles and their bites will leave you bleeding.

If they're gnats, then the massive clouds of them are just them having sexy parties. They're random, and not interested in you (although they can seem to follow you around sometimes if you get your head stuck in the middle of a sex cloud) or your food. It was probably an unusually wet or warm spring, and a ton of them hatched all at once. Gnats are annoying, but harmless. When they're in breeding mode, they don't even eat.

From everything I've been reading, these sound more like gnats than flies.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #139
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Are they flies (big filthy critters that stand around on your food rubbing their hands together evilly) or gnats (clouds of tiny critters that fly up your nose)? Do they bite? Do they follow you around, or mostly ignore you? Are they attracted to garbage?

Small flies that bite are blackflies and midges, but you'd know if you had them. They don't hang out in large groups. They act more like homing missiles and their bites will leave you bleeding.

If they're gnats, then the massive clouds of them are just them having sexy parties. They're random, and not interested in you (although they can seem to follow you around sometimes) or your food. It was probably an unusually wet or warm spring, and a ton of them hatched all at once. Gnats are annoying, but harmless. When they're in breeding mode, they don't even eat.

From everything I've been reading, these sound more like gnats than flies.
I think maybe people are actually seeing love bugs, not flies. This is around the time if year we went when we were inundated with gazillions of love bugs
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #140
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I think maybe people are actually seeing love bugs, not flies. This is around the time if year we went when we were inundated with gazillions of love bugs
A few of the posters have been insisting they're not love bugs, but if there's enough of them, I'm sure they could look just like flies...

Here's a pic of them swarming at a Disney bus stop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swarmoflovebugs.jpg
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #141
LoriR
Mouseketeer and DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy got lost on the way to my house
Awesome VMK Friend

DISboards Moderator

No, these were flies! Regular house flies everywhere, lovebugs were out too.

LoriR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #142
fraggleroc79
Earning My Ears

Was at MK Monday was at the smoking area behind the castle and looked down at my sons shoes and he had about 20 flies on one shoe it was horrible in MK with the fliesdidnt see many at AK today
fraggleroc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #143
Magpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriR View Post
No, these were flies! Regular house flies everywhere, lovebugs were out too.
Sounds like spring around here, then. They seem to hatch out of the soil and for a few weeks they're crawling over everything, and coming up in clouds when you walk over muddy patches. I'm actually kind of happy to see them each year, as it means the ground's finally thawed for good and winter's over.

Just keep them off your food! The little beggers have sticky feet, like to barf on everything they touch so the enzymes in their saliva can break it down enough to eat, and they're a really bad source of cross contamination, considering they lay their eggs in animal feces. Packing some hand disinfectant can't hurt.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #144
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Yea they are flies... Not love bugs or gnats or anything like that. At least Disney is aware of the situation and closing doors to some of its restaurants.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #145
billybob069
Earning My Ears

What is with the insistence that people are seeing something other than flies? Lovebugs don't behave anything like flies and just float around more interested in each other. It is easy to tell them apart. These are FLIES, darting around after your food and anything else.

For what it's worth we did encounter a group of biting gnats near Canada waiting for illuminations one night. But those were much smaller than these flies.
billybob069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #146
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

They are FLIES! Not love bugs. I live here, I know the difference between a fly and love bug, they don't even look alike.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #147
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Having been in the parks all day for the last 7 days and growing up in the south I know for a fact they are Flies. I think it is a little silly that no one believes us.

Disney is aware of the situation but as reported before it is not just a Disney issue. It seems to be a central Florida wide issue with large swarms popping up all over.

I was in MK today and while I didn't notice as many adult flies I did see several mid-life flies. I will say it is weird how spaced and in specific areas they are. Spent the day in Adventureland and not but 1 fly spot walked over to Pecos bill and the Enchanted tales and they were every where!
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #148
paintnolish
You'd think a sniff in the general vicinity would be sufficient
I mean, how much more can a dead guy do?!?
I'm meh about "meh."

My mom called me from DTD the other day. She said they were having a nice time except for the flies! I said I already knew because I saw it on the Dis!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post34722197
DH Me DS (13) DD (12) Baby DS (1)
paintnolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #149
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

They are definitely regular black houseflies. Not gnats or lovebugs or anything else. They don't bite, either, and they are interested in food.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #150
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

wow, I hope Disney fixes this soon
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: