Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
SgtObiWan
Earning My Ears

Living around Disney Area

Hello all!
My wife and I are looking to buy a home near the Disney parks as we will be trying to gain employment with Walt Disney World. Does anyone have any good suggestions on neighborhoods. I hear Clermont, Devenport and Winter Garden are good area's. Are there any pros of renting instead of buying in the area? Thanks
SgtObiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Community Board.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Please don't buy or rent a place until you have jobs. I have heard many sad stories along these lines.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would rent before buying. It is important to know the area as a Resident and not just as a Tourist. Once you have a job you can then buy in a place where the commuting will be workable. And you will actually learn the good and bad points of the neighborhoods.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

If I had to do it again I would rent before buying just to get to know the area and know what area I liked. We live technically in Davenport, but it's the four Corners area where Polk, lake, orange, and Osceola counties all come together. I am just over the Polk county line. There is nothing wrong with it, but I still wish we hadn't rushed.

We are closest to Animal Kingdom. This area is cheaper than closer to Orlando. I'm about 45 minutes from downtown, which is where our church is, it's not a bad drive.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Last edited by Conservative Hippie; 05-12-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

My DH is a realtor and he always recommends that peopel rent for a while in an area where they are moving to so they can get the lay of the land. He then recommends that they drive around, get to know different towns within a commutable distance of where they work and see where they'd like to live.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conservative Hippie View Post
If I had to do it again I would rent before buying just to get to know the area and know what area I liked. We live technically in Davenport, but it's the four Corners area where Polk, lake, orange, and Osceola counties all come together. I am just over the Polk county line. There is nothing wrong with it, but I still wish we hadn't rushed.

We are closest to Animal Kingdom. This area is cheaper than closer to Orlando. I'm about 45 minutes from downtown, which is where our church is, it's not a bad drive.
We, too, live in the Four Corners area, but in the Osceola County corner. Our side of Rt. 192 is Osceola County, across the highway is Orange County, a mile up that side of the highway is Lake County, and if you cross back over to our side of Rt. 192, you're in Polk County! And if that's not confusing enough, I technically live in Kissimmee, which is really located about 15-18 miles east of my neighborhood! We call ourselves the stepchildren of Osceola County. We have a small fire station about a mile east of us on Rt. 192 and we rarely see a law enforcement presence out here (I think that's a good thing).

We're 15 minutes from any of the parks and Downtown Disney and I used to work at the Disney Store; DH worked at Toy Story. We bought our house during a week-long dedicated house-hunting trip and we haven't regretted the ten years we've been here. Our neighborhood doesn't have an HOA but we haven't found it to be a problem. The county "encourages" homeowners to take care of maintenance and lawn care or they do it and add it to the homeowner's tax bill.

We came down here to truly retire; we didn't need to work and didn't plan to, but the park perqs drew us in. I don't think it's as easy now to find a job with Disney as it was then especially if it's going to be your only income. Unless you're management, Disney does NOT pay well.

I hope this didn't scare you off! Like pps, I'd suggest renting for a year or so to make sure you like the area. We love living down here and would welcome you with open arms.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I'm in Davenport, just down the road from Champions Gate. Probably 10 minutes from PigletsPal2 and Conservative Hippie. I really love this area. Close to Disney but not in the crazy tourist area. I love my location. We rent a house now, but if we decide to buy, it'll be in this area.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post

We, too, live in the Four Corners area, but in the Osceola County corner. Our side of Rt. 192 is Osceola County, across the highway is Orange County, a mile up that side of the highway is Lake County, and if you cross back over to our side of Rt. 192, you're in Polk County! And if that's not confusing enough, I technically live in Kissimmee, which is really located about 15-18 miles east of my neighborhood! We call ourselves the stepchildren of Osceola County. We have a small fire station about a mile east of us on Rt. 192 and we rarely see a law enforcement presence out here (I think that's a good thing).

Queen Colleen
I know right where you live! I am on 27, just about a mile south of 192. My address is davenport, but I have never actually been to davenport!
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
I know right where you live! I am on 27, just about a mile south of 192. My address is davenport, but I have never actually been to davenport!
I bet you live in one of the developments we looked at houses in. We liked the area very much, but the houses we looked at didn't match for what we wanted at the time.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post

I bet you live in one of the developments we looked at houses in. We liked the area very much, but the houses we looked at didn't match for what we wanted at the time.
Are you by the school?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Are you by the school?
No, we got a place down on Ronald Reagan.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Conservative Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post

No, we got a place down on Ronald Reagan.
Oh right you said champion's gate area. Pigletspal said Osceola side of 192.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I live in Windermere. I adore this area. It's just a ten mintue drive to Disney property. I can see Wishes from my house!

Many new apartment complexes are going up in the area. It's a great place to live!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Should I be concerned?

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: