Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

Upgrades/room requests at AKL

Hi all - hubby and I just booked a standard room at AKL for the end of June. Was wondering what the likelihood of being able to upgrade to Savannah when we get there. Also - how much would it cost? Free would be nice but I know that's wishful thinking!! ;-)

Also - I think I want a room on the ostrich wing based on what I'm reading. How do I increase the chances of getting a room down that wing?

wdw - akl may 2006 // wdw - off site june 2007 //disneyland july 2012 // wdw - akl june 2013 // disneyland paris august 2013 // wdw - wilderness lodge september 2014

**OFFICIAL JUNE 2013 WDW MAGICBAND TESTER**
whatsarahsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsarahsaid View Post
Hi all - hubby and I just booked a standard room at AKL for the end of June. Was wondering what the likelihood of being able to upgrade to Savannah when we get there.
It all depends on occupancy. But I believe there's usually availability because of the cost of the savannah view.

Quote:
Also - how much would it cost?
From looking at the WDW website, around $100 more per night.

Quote:
Also - I think I want a room on the ostrich wing based on what I'm reading. How do I increase the chances of getting a room down that wing?
Call the main reservations line and have a request of ostrich wing added to your reservation. Remember, it's only a request though.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

It seems like everytime we've gone the resort is nearly or completely sold-out at checkin...and that is during value/fall season. You can ask what the cost would be to upgrade at check-in, but don't be surprised if it's at capacity during the summer season. Room placements are usually made prior to checkin...2-3 days in advance I believe. Therefore, that is when they usually make decisions to upgrade...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
lgold1212
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
It seems like everytime we've gone the resort is nearly or completely sold-out at checkin...and that is during value/fall season. You can ask what the cost would be to upgrade at check-in, but don't be surprised if it's at capacity during the summer season. Room placements are usually made prior to checkin...2-3 days in advance I believe. Therefore, that is when they usually make decisions to upgrade...
Any recommendations on the best rooms for Savannah views? Or Arusha? Particular room numbers??? We are first timers to AKL!
lgold1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
whatsarahsaid
Mouseketeer

Man I love this place! So much great information from everyone...thank you so much!!!
whatsarahsaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi all - hubby and I just booked a standard room at AKL for the end of June. Was wondering what the likelihood of being able to upgrade to Savannah when we get there. Also - how much would it cost? Free would be nice but I know that's wishful thinking!! ;-)

Chances are unlikely for any upgrades once you arrive. Last time we were there at end of August, low season it was at full capacity. So if you're wanting a savana view I'd book it now. Also if you wait till check in to ask, you will be quoted rack rate. Sunset & Uzima savana are nice and not as expensive as Arusha. If you don't want to pay the cost of savanna, maybe consider a pool view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgold1212 View Post
Any recommendations on the best rooms for Savannah views? Or Arusha? Particular room numbers??? We are first timers to AKL!
Generally it's best to request an area rather then specific room #s. Arusha is probably the most popular and also the most expensive savanna. We like to be on Zebra trail because its on the same side as pool & dining. 2nd or 3rd pod are good locations, and my pref is an upper floor for a more panoramic view, but some like lower floor to be closer to the animals.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

I have always gotten an upgrade when I was at AKL, BUT!!! I typically go in value season so they aren't overbooked. With the AP and FL resident deal out for June, the standard rooms sold out quick and there is nothing available except savannah and club. Some people might get upgraded but its really just luck at this point.
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: