Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
tookie
Mouseketeer

Moderate Resort Suggestions for Deluxe Fans

Anyone out there have a moderate resort suggestion for not too snobby deluxe resort fans? We are a family of 4: me, dh, ds-12 and ds-10. We have stayed at the Yacht Club and LOVED it!!! We also have stayed at the cabins at FW and really liked that as well. We are not considering CBR. Sorry CBR fans. Or.... should we just shell out the money for a non-monorail deluxe?
[IMG]http://i884
tookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

CSR. I've stayed at all 4 moderates, and imho it is the most deluxe feeling out of all of them.

The bedding is more upscale and classy. The pool area is great, and CSR is the only moderate that has a fitness center. The buses are not a packed as the other moderate resorts, as many of the guests are convention guests, and don't use the park buses.

Another bonus is that CSR has doors that separate the sleeping area from the sink area, instead of the curtains you will find at the other resorts. Makes it easier for one person to get ready without waking everyone else up.
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
disd55
Mouseketeer

DELUXE FANS HERE! Actually, this year we are staying at the POFQ because we just can't stay at a deluxe. The prices have skyrocketed since our last visit in 2011. We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Boardwalk and loved them all we stayed at CSR and actually had an unfortunate experience with walking 20 minutes to the pool. A preferred room may or may not get you close to El Centro. Either way, a preferred room is still a 15-20 minute walk from the pool from where we were. We were in Building 4-5 area of the Casitas. It was a humid, hot walk around the resort. It sorta of has a deluxe feel IMO but not really. I think you should shell out the extra money for the Wilderness Lodge. The price is in between most Deluxe and Moderate resorts but it is still a Deluxe with deluxe amenities. It is the only MK resort without monorail service but still has boat service to MK. It is an absolutely stunning resort. But this is all just my opinion.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
slimplaw
DIS Veteran

We liked Port Orleans French Quarter. My second choice would be Port Orleans Riverside. We thought French Quarter had a cozier, smaller feel. The boat ride to Downtown Disney was a nice plus.
We did not like Coronado Springs because if you can be pretty far from the main building and it can be a long walk. It is also a convention hotel and you can run into large groups in the evenings in the main building. The only plus I found there was that during the day, the people there for the convention are not filling the bus, so we were able to get a seat.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

POFQ is my fav mod resort. It's small, so you don't have that looooong walk to the amenities that CSR has, but you also have access to the POR pool if you want a change. The River View rooms are really nice, you can watch the boat go back and forth (boat also goes to DTD, which is a huge advantage), and the gardens between buildings are beautiful. We stayed at CSR once and did not care for it. Yes, the pool is great, but either you have to walk forever to get to the pool, or you have to walk forever to get to the main building. We didn't think the bus service was up to par, either.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans French Quarter is great, nice and compacy but feels spacious and you can use the pool at PO riverside as well.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

We were deluxe snobs (still are) but when we need a Disney fix but deluxe isn't in the budget, we decided to (gasp), stay at a Mod. I chose POR because I heard it was really nice. We have stayed there a couple times now and CSR .. While I like CSR, POR was very good deluxe sub!!
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I have only stayed at POFQ and CSR. I would say CSR business CL. The Rooms have more of the Deluxe feel.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookie View Post
Anyone out there have a moderate resort suggestion for not too snobby deluxe resort fans? We are a family of 4: me, dh, ds-12 and ds-10. We have stayed at the Yacht Club and LOVED it!!! We also have stayed at the cabins at FW and really liked that as well. We are not considering CBR. Sorry CBR fans. Or.... should we just shell out the money for a non-monorail deluxe?
If it were me and the choice was a non-monorail deluxe or a mod, I'd go with a non-monorail deluxe. With that said, if a deluxe wasn't doable, I think I'd go with POR. We've only stayed at one moderate (CBR), and while we loved the resort and had a great trip, I would want to try a different mod. POR has always appealed to me, so that would be my choice if I didn't go deluxe.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
3kidsdad
Earning My Ears

CSR business class is a great sub for a deluxe feel. Just left there this morning. Had 3 minute walk to the bus stop. 5 minute walk to the main building and 5-6 min walk to the main pool. There was a convention but if your not looking to hang out in the bars in the evening you hardly notice any of the convention attendees. Even leaving Epcot Friday night during EMH bus was not crowded at all.
The Cocino Lounge which is only available to guest staying in business class has free continental breakfast in the mornings and free snacks at night including beer, wine and sangria. It is very comparable to most club level amenities at the deluxe resorts at a fraction of the price.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I'd go with POR or POFQ for the boat to DTD, carriage rides, and Riverside Mills Foodcourt which offers lots of selection!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

I guess we are like you, not snob to deluxe but those were the only ones our family could fit in! We have five and when they were young could not handle open air hotels...needed enclosed to help with asthmatic children, having grown out of the acute asthma we can finally try something new!

We will be at POR...I love the idea of taking the boat right into DTD! We want to try out a few restaurants there and that makes it fun and convenient, plus I love the huge number of pools! I do not mind it not having a gyn because I bet we will walk 10 miles a day doing parks! I love all the rooms there and we all are excited beyond wods to try a moderate!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
JustCallMeMommy
DIS Veteran

What is it that you like about the Deluxe? We love, love, love being on the monorail loop. For me, that was the only real advantage that draws me to Deluxe. So, for me, I would go to a moderate over a non-monorail resort (except maybe AK Savannah view).

We have stayed in 2 moderates. I liked CSR, but our room - now a preferred room - was set so far into a maze of rooms that it took a while to get anywhere. We eventually found a shorter path, but it wasn't intuitive. We loved POR Royal Rooms - the room itself was really fun (fireworks in the headboard....), and the location was great.

JustCallMeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: