DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqu17 View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie here and have been reading many threads on the boards here which have been very helpful. My DH and I are considering DVC resale since we go to WDW once a year and with my dietary restrictions we feel like WDW is a treat and plan to go every year!!

I would like some suggestions though before we make our decision. We typically stay at moderate resorts due to price but like the thought of staying at dlx for the nicer pools etc (we don't have to go to the parks every time) and can eat at the other resorts etc. We actually are renting points for the 1st time for our upcoming Sept trip at AKV which gave me the idea of DVC! Also, we really like the thought of being able to go to Aulani or the Hilton Head locations.

We are considering buying more points than we need and rent out the extra points. We are ok with studios for now but my DS is very young and as he gets older we might want to stay in a one bedroom which will require more pts. My question would be how easy is it to rent out points (obviously harder during bad economic times)? My one thought is to maybe buy smaller contracts at two resorts (100 - 150 at two) instead of buying one 200-250 pt contract. We would use one and rent the other out at least for a few years. If we need more we could bank/borrow to stay at the resort of choice that year. I'm thinking AKV for one since we love animals. Should I look at another resort that is more favorable to rent out? Or is it better to get one larger size contract?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Some thoughts are maybe a bit of contrarian view. IMO it make no sense to buy extra points to rent out. You might or might not make a reasonable return but you set yourself up for extra work and risk. I'd only do this if I clearly needed more later. I would NOT go into this with the intent of buying 2 contracts initially. I'd either buy more at one resort or buy less at one and see then reconsider a second in a few years as others have stated. The cost difference between two contracts of say 150 each vs one at 300 will be fairly significant. Likely somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000-3000 total, maybe more depending on home resort.

I would buy the resort you'd be comfortable with for most trips if you couldn't get anything else. I would not buy a resort on the highest end such as BLT unless you expect to spend more of your stays there. The lower (and narrowing the gap) fees will not make up for the up front difference in costs compared to most options. I would not finance such a luxury purchase and that alone might be a good reason to consider less now for some.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone... I really appreciate the advice

I think my DH and I have decided to buy two smaller contracts since I like the thought of having two home resorts. I love the animals and relaxed atmosphere at AKV when we went for dinner but like the theme and location of BLT. As someone suggested, we can easily resort hop and get to multiple parks from BLT since we often go for the food! BLT was more than we wanted to spend, but I think it will be a good choice for years to come since I'll always be looking for new food and locations to try! So we will probably look for a contract at either AKV or BLT that fits us now and in a year or two add on the other resort.
Moniqu17 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniqu17

I think my DH and I have decided to buy two smaller contracts since I like the thought of having two home resorts. I love the animals and relaxed atmosphere at AKV when we went for dinner but like the theme and location of BLT. As someone suggested, we can easily resort hop and get to multiple parks from BLT since we often go for the food! BLT was more than we wanted to spend, but I think it will be a good choice for years to come since I'll always be looking for new food and locations to try! So we will probably look for a contract at either AKV or BLT that fits us now and in a year or two add on the other resort.
This is exactly what we are doing. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

Thanks and good luck to you too!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan. I would just ask yourself if you think you'd make good use out of the value villas or concierge villas at AKV. They're the main reason it's good to own there for home-resort priority. If you plan to go for standard view or savannah view villas, you might want to look at one of the smaller resorts you said you were interested in (BCV/BWV) because it's much easier to get into AKV at seven months than BCV.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

I'm not too sure how easy it is to get value villas at the 11 month mark at AKV, but that is what we would want to do. Having dietary restrictions, I'd probably not spend the extra points for the club level not knowing what would be available. But if we don't find the right contract at AKV or BLT for a while (since there are so few available ), I would probably look at BWV or BCV. Since we already have our trip booked for this year, we'd like to get something in time to book at the 11 month mark for 2014.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #22
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

we were direct @ blt. therefore , our focus was on getting
the best deal thru friends that did it. the primary reason
for us ruling out resales was blt was not on the market
yet.

because we are nearing retirement & are in pretty good
fiance shape, i wanted to learn more about it.

the m`rose girl, posted many of her "adventures" on
the board to share & gain advice from the experts here.
i haven't seen any better example & she also brought
in @ blt---one you are interested in.

from my observations, i would give her input high merit.
also if you read other of her postings, she come across
very sincere.

i think because dvc is a long time & costly investment, it
is wise to seek answers before buying.

did you read about the poster being told that resales resorts
are not permitted to use other resorts? to me, it is alarming
that dvc are letting them represent dvc ...& indicate changes
are needed within.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Grumpy View Post
did you read about the poster being told that resales resorts
are not permitted to use other resorts? to me, it is alarming
that dvc are letting them represent dvc ...& indicate changes
are needed within.
IMO this is not legally possible.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

Yes, I have been reading the boards as much as possible and saw that in the future there might be a possibility that you can only stay at the resort you've bought into if going the resale route. And we have considered a 'what if' scenario to make sure we are happy with our purchase.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Jeff1805
Earning My Ears

All good advice here. We are also in the hunt for a resale. I have noticed that the listings are currently slim and the prices have jumped. Has anyone seen this before? Is it the time of year or a reflection of the Disney price increases?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1805 View Post
All good advice here. We are also in the hunt for a resale. I have noticed that the listings are currently slim and the prices have jumped. Has anyone seen this before? Is it the time of year or a reflection of the Disney price increases?
Resale prices generally were higher in 2008. The following is from data I collected in 2008 of actual resale price averages (which that was readily available then):

- AKV: $84/point
- BCV: $87/point
- BWV: $77/point
- OKW: $61/point
- SSR: $70/point
- VWL: $70/point

I don't have resale data for BLT since it was new in 2008.

Prices bottomed out in 2011 & early 2012 but started slowly rebounding late last year. They've taken off in the last few months, while inventory has plunged.

No one can say with certainty which way the market will go. In general, spring is real estate's peak season. Perhaps DVC inventory will improve in the fall and winter, once the traditional vacation season is over and DVC members start thinking about their 2014 Maintenance Fees.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas
Resale prices generally were higher in 2008. The following is from data I collected in 2008 of actual resale price averages (which that was readily available then):

- AKV: $84/point
- BCV: $87/point
- BWV: $77/point
- OKW: $61/point
- SSR: $70/point
- VWL: $70/point

I don't have resale data for BLT since it was new in 2008.

Prices bottomed out in 2011 & early 2012 but started slowly rebounding late last year. They've taken off in the last few months, while inventory has plunged.

No one can say with certainty which way the market will go. In general, spring is real estate's peak season. Perhaps DVC inventory will improve in the fall and winter, once the traditional vacation season is over and DVC members start thinking about their 2014 Maintenance Fees.
On a yearly basis the DVC resale market (at least for OKW) tracks the overall US housing price index very well, with about a 3% increase in point value per year.

See this thread:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099351

and this figure:

Comparison of OKW 2042 resale price with US housing price index
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okw2012 View Post
On a yearly basis the DVC resale market (at least for OKW) tracks the overall US housing price index very well, with about a 3% increase in point value per year.

See this thread:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099351
Thanks for that.

It makes sense. A DVC purchase is a reflection of the strength of the (mostly) U.S. economy which is reflected in the price of homes.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
moreisgood
Falling in love

Quote:
Hi, I'm a newbie here and have been reading many threads on the boards here which have been very helpful. My DH and I are considering DVC resale since we go to WDW once a year and with my dietary restrictions we feel like WDW is a treat and plan to go every year!!

I would like some suggestions though before we make our decision. We typically stay at moderate resorts due to price but like the thought of staying at dlx for the nicer pools etc (we don't have to go to the parks every time) and can eat at the other resorts etc. We actually are renting points for the 1st time for our upcoming Sept trip at AKV which gave me the idea of DVC! Also, we really like the thought of being able to go to Aulani or the Hilton Head locations.

We are considering buying more points than we need and rent out the extra points. We are ok with studios for now but my DS is very young and as he gets older we might want to stay in a one bedroom which will require more pts. My question would be how easy is it to rent out points (obviously harder during bad economic times)? My one thought is to maybe buy smaller contracts at two resorts (100 - 150 at two) instead of buying one 200-250 pt contract. We would use one and rent the other out at least for a few years. If we need more we could bank/borrow to stay at the resort of choice that year. I'm thinking AKV for one since we love animals. Should I look at another resort that is more favorable to rent out? Or is it better to get one larger size contract?

Thanks in advance for your help!
When I first started reading this thread, I thought "I" wrote it! We are in ROFR for BLT, AKL, And BWV. Yes, all of them. Each has enough points to go every other year, to a 2 br. .

And yes, we can rent them out if we skip a year or go smaller.

You hear over and over that people wish they had bought more points. I'd rather have too many than need to cut our vacation plans short.

DH has severe dietary issues too and my whole family is happy at WDW. So it makes sense for us.

Good luck!

Ps. I have stayed at the BC hotel, And it's not my idea of deluxe. So I'd rather have the space at a better price.
moreisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Moniqu17
Mouseketeer

We just put an offer in on BLT for 160 pts... just waiting to see if its accepted! We made an offer at AKV, but someone else came in while we were negotiating and bid full price so that was taken. I know 160 isn't too many for BLT, but we still think we might want to buy at AKV in a few years. Then the 160 pts would be more than enough if we did that since we'd go every other year to BLT. No matter what we are ok with the studios for awhile, so we could do studio one year and 1 bd the next.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: