Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #1411
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Kinda funny...

First, I showed my six year old a YouTube video of the Cars section and he couldn't even breathe. He had no idea it even existed and to know that he was going to stay there was almost too much for him to handle.

So then I asked him if he had a preference on which building we stayed in for when I put in a request. I showed him the main entrances of the three Cars buildings. He couldn't decide. He was going crazy and finally said "This is too hard to decide, I think you better tell them to surprise us!" hahahahaha. I think I'll stick with requesting "as close to the main building as possible".
Old 02-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #1412
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarman213 View Post
anyone know if there are places for a family of 12?
Three regular rooms at a value or mod or two suites at Art of Animation would probably be your best bet.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #1413
isabellea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28 View Post
Kinda funny...

First, I showed my six year old a YouTube video of the Cars section and he couldn't even breathe. He had no idea it even existed and to know that he was going to stay there was almost too much for him to handle.
So funny! I am itching to show pics and a video of the LM section to my 4.5 yo because I know she will react like your son but I also want to keep it a total surprise for her. Luckily she's not cardiac because she might faint when she sees where we're staying... She's a HUGE Ariel fan and often asks us to call her Ariel!
isabellea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #1414
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellea View Post
So funny! I am itching to show pics and a video of the LM section to my 4.5 yo because I know she will react like your son but I also want to keep it a total surprise for her. Luckily she's not cardiac because she might faint when she sees where we're staying... She's a HUGE Ariel fan and often asks us to call her Ariel!
Aw! Good luck with your surprise! I can't surprise my kids, I am so bad at it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #1415
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandLMommy28

Aw! Good luck with your surprise! I can't surprise my kids, I am so bad at it.
Our trip last year we wanted to surprise our kids the morning we left. We ended up telling them a week after we booked. It was hard to talk about plans because they were always around. Plus sharing the anticipation with them was fun. But my kids are older....10 & 8 at the time. Its easier to hide it when they're younger...IMO
Kat016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #1416
CouponDivaDesirae
Earning My Ears

So we are looking into this resort and I want to know what peoples opinions on it for cooking wise? We are going to bring our crockpot & electric griddle so that we can make breakfast and dinner since we are not doing the dining plan. We are going to get adjoining rooms with my parents so that they can have their own place. Do you think the "kitchen" is big enough for this? Has anyone stayed here without doing the meal plans and found it just fine? I am really stressing out about it.

CouponDivaDesirae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #1417
disneygrl704
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellea View Post
We are surprising our 7 yo dd this August. I am also having a hard time keeping it a secret. We are staying in a LM room also and she is going to flip when she finds out!
disneygrl704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #1418
bluezy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDivaDesirae View Post
So we are looking into this resort and I want to know what peoples opinions on it for cooking wise? We are going to bring our crockpot & electric griddle so that we can make breakfast and dinner since we are not doing the dining plan. We are going to get adjoining rooms with my parents so that they can have their own place. Do you think the "kitchen" is big enough for this? Has anyone stayed here without doing the meal plans and found it just fine? I am really stressing out about it.
This is just my opinion -- and other people may have a different view -- but I wouldn't even consider cooking in these suites. They don't really have a "kitchen" -- it's really just a small counter area. It's more like an "office" kitchen as opposed to a "home" kitchen. They really aren't set up for cooking meals like the kitchens in the villas. I'm not even sure if cooking "appliances" are allowed in these suites -- especially a crockpot that's going to be unattended for hours while in use. The refrigerator is small and it would be a challenge to have enough food for cooking more than a meal or two stored in it. It's great for holding drinks, snacks, and leftovers but it's not really big enough to be keeping meat/vegetables in it unless that's all you're putting in it. There is a small microwave in the room that you could use to cook things. I could see having sandwich "fixings" in the room and maybe some of those individual-sized microwaveable soups, but that's about as complex as I would get for preparing a meal there.

We stayed in a Lion King suite last June and did not do a dining plan. We drive, so we brought breakfast food with us to eat in the room every morning but nothing that needed to be "cooked". We had bagels, cereal, granola bars, oatmeal, and a few other odds and ends. We also had some snack foods for the room: pretzels, microwave popcorn, etc. We ate lunch and dinner in the parks or at the resort every day (sometimes we ate over at Pop Century). Coming back to the room to eat a meal would kill a lot of time that we could be spending in the parks.

If you're trying to save money on food while staying at Disney, there are lots of ways to do that that don't involve all out cooking in the room. I know I've seen threads devoted to that subject. Some simple things to do are to eat breakfast in the room; share meals where allowed (even the counter service meals are sometimes big enough to be shared); counter service restaurants always advertise combo meals but any sandwich can be purchased alone -- you don't have to order it as a combo -- and it's usually $2-3 cheaper. In our last 5 trips we have only gotten the dining plan once and that was because it was free and it saved us more money than the room discount would have. A lot of people choose not to use the dining plans offered and just pay out of pocket for their meals.

Again, JMO, but there is no way I'd be trying to cook a meal in the suite.
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #1419
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezy View Post
This is just my opinion -- and other people may have a different view -- but I wouldn't even consider cooking in these suites. They don't really have a "kitchen" -- it's really just a small counter area. It's more like an "office" kitchen as opposed to a "home" kitchen. They really aren't set up for cooking meals like the kitchens in the villas. I'm not even sure if cooking "appliances" are allowed in these suites -- especially a crockpot that's going to be unattended for hours while in use. The refrigerator is small and it would be a challenge to have enough food for cooking more than a meal or two stored in it. It's great for holding drinks, snacks, and leftovers but it's not really big enough to be keeping meat/vegetables in it unless that's all you're putting in it. There is a small microwave in the room that you could use to cook things. I could see having sandwich "fixings" in the room and maybe some of those individual-sized microwaveable soups, but that's about as complex as I would get for preparing a meal there.

We stayed in a Lion King suite last June and did not do a dining plan. We drive, so we brought breakfast food with us to eat in the room every morning but nothing that needed to be "cooked". We had bagels, cereal, granola bars, oatmeal, and a few other odds and ends. We also had some snack foods for the room: pretzels, microwave popcorn, etc. We ate lunch and dinner in the parks or at the resort every day (sometimes we ate over at Pop Century). Coming back to the room to eat a meal would kill a lot of time that we could be spending in the parks.

If you're trying to save money on food while staying at Disney, there are lots of ways to do that that don't involve all out cooking in the room. I know I've seen threads devoted to that subject. Some simple things to do are to eat breakfast in the room; share meals where allowed (even the counter service meals are sometimes big enough to be shared); counter service restaurants always advertise combo meals but any sandwich can be purchased alone -- you don't have to order it as a combo -- and it's usually $2-3 cheaper. In our last 5 trips we have only gotten the dining plan once and that was because it was free and it saved us more money than the room discount would have. A lot of people choose not to use the dining plans offered and just pay out of pocket for their meals.

Again, JMO, but there is no way I'd be trying to cook a meal in the suite.
I would agree with this. The suites have a microwave and a small fridge that's a little bit bigger than those "cube" fridges you find in dorm rooms, but that's about it. They're not "kitchenettes" by any means. And I think this post is correct, WDW doesn't allow small appliances like crock pots and griddles.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #1420
Kat016
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo

I would agree with this. The suites have a microwave and a small fridge that's a little bit bigger than those "cube" fridges you find in dorm rooms, but that's about it. They're not "kitchenettes" by any means. And I think this post is correct, WDW doesn't allow small appliances like crock pots and griddles.
Ive only heard you can bring in coffee pots....but not cooking appliances.
Kat016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #1421
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Disney does not allow griddles at all. It could be taken away till your departure day. I am pretty sure they frown on crockpots too. Anything that is plugged in and can't be watched all day is usually against fire code
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #1422
monique5
DVC - BLT & VGF

Quote:
I've stayed but had the meal plan. As others have stated small appliances are not allowed, and coffee pot provided. It's a small area with sink, dorm size fridge so won't hold many groceries, etc. Not enough space to cook, only room for breakfast on the go. Possibly room for lunch meat depending on what you store in fridge. There are numerous sites to view room. Also, the kitchenette is only in the suites. Adjoining rooms are not guaranteed either.

monique5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #1423
larie21
Mouseketeer

What about in the Little mermaid rooms? Can I bring my own coffee pot?
larie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #1424
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larie21 View Post
What about in the Little mermaid rooms? Can I bring my own coffee pot?
I know people do, but I think officially no
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #1425
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Hey all!

I was lucky enough to experience some pixie dust in the form of a room upgrade to the LK suites recently, and I LOVE THEM so much more than the LM rooms! Those kitchenettes really help out when you're prepping medication in the morning in shakes using a travel blender, and keeping everything away from the sinks where you wash your hands post-bathroom.

So my question- last year were the suites at AoA featured for RO discounts or FD? If so, how much was the RO discount, and/or what kind of FD is offered for them?

I'm planning an October trip back, just want to get some rough figures down before I take the plunge!

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: