Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #166
Son of Gadsden
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail.

I've always stayed at Polynesian ever since I was a child, and for my wife and I's engagement AND honeymoon. However, when we went last April, we stayed at AoA. Call me crazy, but we both might have actually liked it better. And when you add in the price difference, I just dont know that we'll ever go back to Poly.

As hard as I tried, there was literally only one con I could find for AoA.

Distance. It seems like no matter how you slice it, you're going to be further from everything. We stayed in a MR, since it was just my wife and I, and it's a long walk. Maybe nothing bad for the average person, but I've got serious knee issues with chronically torn ACLs. It was a journey after a long day at the park. The bus rides also seem very long unless you are going to DHS. Where as when we stayed at Poly, we could come back to the room from MK for a break, that didn't happen with AoA. The bus ride was too long and big of a deal to get on.

Other than that, everything is fantastic. The MRs have very few kids and we had a very quiet experience in our room, where as in Poly, there is almost always at least one room around us with a child having a meltdown.

I though Landscape of Flavors was great and affordable. The create-your-own pasta was $9.99 for an awesome pasta that was plenty big to fill up both my wife and I, and breakfast was a little more than I expected really.

The room was plenty big as well. I do wish we would have gotten a king bed though, as I didn't know they offered those.

I'll also add in this, just as a testimonial of the staff: We went for my wife's 21st birthday. I surprised her and got the huge birthday package from Disney Florist. The problem was her birthday was Saturday, which was also our check in day. The packages require a *FULL* day in the room before they can be delivered. So I called and begged for them to make an exception. Pleaded that "You guys are supposed to make dreams come true! Well I've got a dream! Make it happen!" lol. The lady was very nice (of course this is Disney Florist, not AoA), and said that she'll try and see if the resort will work with her to make it happen. After putting me on hold to call AoA, she then said she may be able to make it happen, but to get to AoA ASAP Saturday, and call her immediately with the room #, and they'll try to deliver between 6 and 9pm. Well, we were racing to get there, and to avoid TMI, I got food poisoning and didn't feel to well on the 10 hour drive there. So when we get there about 45 mins late, I'm freaking out. My wife can't figure out why I'm in such a hurry. We race to the room, to find a banner on the door and the room already done up before check in time. I'm not sure who was responsible for that, AoA or Florist, but it was freakin amazing, and I owe them big time for making all that happen.
Son of Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #167
LisaCM614
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gadsden View Post
I've always stayed at Polynesian ever since I was a child, and for my wife and I's engagement AND honeymoon. However, when we went last April, we stayed at AoA. Call me crazy, but we both might have actually liked it better. And when you add in the price difference, I just dont know that we'll ever go back to Poly.

As hard as I tried, there was literally only one con I could find for AoA.

Distance. It seems like no matter how you slice it, you're going to be further from everything. We stayed in a MR, since it was just my wife and I, and it's a long walk. Maybe nothing bad for the average person, but I've got serious knee issues with chronically torn ACLs. It was a journey after a long day at the park. The bus rides also seem very long unless you are going to DHS. Where as when we stayed at Poly, we could come back to the room from MK for a break, that didn't happen with AoA. The bus ride was too long and big of a deal to get on.

Other than that, everything is fantastic. The MRs have very few kids and we had a very quiet experience in our room, where as in Poly, there is almost always at least one room around us with a child having a meltdown.

I though Landscape of Flavors was great and affordable. The create-your-own pasta was $9.99 for an awesome pasta that was plenty big to fill up both my wife and I, and breakfast was a little more than I expected really.

The room was plenty big as well. I do wish we would have gotten a king bed though, as I didn't know they offered those.

I'll also add in this, just as a testimonial of the staff: We went for my wife's 21st birthday. I surprised her and got the huge birthday package from Disney Florist. The problem was her birthday was Saturday, which was also our check in day. The packages require a *FULL* day in the room before they can be delivered. So I called and begged for them to make an exception. Pleaded that "You guys are supposed to make dreams come true! Well I've got a dream! Make it happen!" lol. The lady was very nice (of course this is Disney Florist, not AoA), and said that she'll try and see if the resort will work with her to make it happen. After putting me on hold to call AoA, she then said she may be able to make it happen, but to get to AoA ASAP Saturday, and call her immediately with the room #, and they'll try to deliver between 6 and 9pm. Well, we were racing to get there, and to avoid TMI, I got food poisoning and didn't feel to well on the 10 hour drive there. So when we get there about 45 mins late, I'm freaking out. My wife can't figure out why I'm in such a hurry. We race to the room, to find a banner on the door and the room already done up before check in time. I'm not sure who was responsible for that, AoA or Florist, but it was freakin amazing, and I owe them big time for making all that happen.
Magic happens at the Values too!
Next time stay away from the gas station sushi! Lol

LisaCM614 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #168
susanktz
Earning My Ears

I'm gonna make a wild guess.... since the Nemo suites are the most popular, I doubt there will be any check-ins prior to 3:00???

When we went to POP 2 years ago, we checked in at noon to get our park passes, etc. Luckily, our room was already available, so we could unpack the car. (which made me happy... I didn't want all the luggage, etc in the car while in the parking lots at the parks.)
susanktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #169
JavArmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanktz View Post
I'm gonna make a wild guess.... since the Nemo suites are the most popular, I doubt there will be any check-ins prior to 3:00???

When we went to POP 2 years ago, we checked in at noon to get our park passes, etc. Luckily, our room was already available, so we could unpack the car. (which made me happy... I didn't want all the luggage, etc in the car while in the parking lots at the parks.)
You never know. Doesn't hurt to try

JavArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #170
Lovemy3babes
Is always in need to get herself and her children back to our "Happy Place"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpessa View Post
Typically no discounts for LM rooms at all. In the future it will likely change as the newness wears off and it's not always sold out.
This is a bummer! I hope the newness wears off very soon!

Just me and my girl…a very special 13th Birthday trip!
(updated 2/20/14)
Lovemy3babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #171
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpessa View Post
Typically no discounts for LM rooms at all. In the future it will likely change as the newness wears off and it's not always sold out.
booo! I really wanted to stay there but my wallet is not happy with rack rate
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #172
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Yet another few questions from me haha!

For those who have been recently - The nightly movie at the resort, is this held in the LK section, or by the pool. (Or both?) I've heard lately that it's in the LK section but I know it used to be by the pool as I've seen pictures!

And also, I've heard technically the pool is 24 hours, as long as the pool is not being cleaned and you are quiet? Is this true?
Rowanonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #173
Dis*Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
Yet another few questions from me haha!

For those who have been recently - The nightly movie at the resort, is this held in the LK section, or by the pool. (Or both?) I've heard lately that it's in the LK section but I know it used to be by the pool as I've seen pictures!

And also, I've heard technically the pool is 24 hours, as long as the pool is not being cleaned and you are quiet? Is this true?

We just returned Sunday night from a 5 night stay in the Cars Suites. Loved, loved the suites and the location. Last year I stayed in the LM section as it was just me and my daughter. We loved this section but the walk got really tiring after all day in the parks. This trip my whole family went so the suite worked out great.

To answer your question the movies were played at the pool this past week, the first time I was there they were played in the Lion King section as we would walk past them at night on the way to the LM section. I also saw people in the pools all during the night. Hope that helps.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #174
jeanylaser
Art of Animation Resort biggest fan

How many rooms in the Family suite in Art of Animation?
May 2009- Disney's Pop Century-Classic Years
Nov 2009- Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Mar 2012- Mystic Dunes Resort
Sept 2014- Disney's Art of Animation
jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #175
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

1 bedroom, and then a living room, and dinette. The couch pulls out into a queen? Size bed and the table is a Murphy bed, so there are 3 beds total.
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #176
snugbud
Earning My Ears

Last minute first timer panic setting in.

Staying at aoa in a cars suite next week. I have read glowing reviews about the bus system and scathing ones. What is the reality of transportation there? Are afternoon breaks doable or will we be spending 4 hours waiting and riding buses everyday if we do breaks? Give it me straight! Thanks
snugbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #177
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

We were in Cars in May. We has no problem with the buses. I don't think we ever waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. We did do afternoon breaks and we were so glad we did. I know they are not for everyone, but we enjoyed some pool time while the parks were crazy and still had plenty of time to make it back for our 5:00 pm ADRs.
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #178
snugbud
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMomma
We were in Cars in May. We has no problem with the buses. I don't think we ever waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. We did do afternoon breaks and we were so glad we did. I know they are not for everyone, but we enjoyed some pool time while the parks were crazy and still had plenty of time to make it back for our 5:00 pm ADRs.
Thanks. Gives me hope! I think we are going to need breaks, but hate the idea of spending Half our day fighting with transportation.
snugbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #179
MinnieTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugbud View Post
Last minute first timer panic setting in.

Staying at aoa in a cars suite next week. I have read glowing reviews about the bus system and scathing ones. What is the reality of transportation there? Are afternoon breaks doable or will we be spending 4 hours waiting and riding buses everyday if we do breaks? Give it me straight! Thanks
We were there in May and had no issues with transportation. Never waited longer than 5 minutes to go to a park. Coming back from a park, during the day, maybe 10 minutes. We did have to stand a lot when coming 'home' late but thats definitely not unique to this resort. At MK close one night, the line for AoA was unreal. All the way thru the queue and then allllll the way down towards the boat docks. I wasn't feeling well and tried to convince DH to just call a cab. Before we could do that 3 or 4 buses pulled up to the AoA bus stop and they cleared just about everyone from the area. No worries about transportation

MinnieTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #180
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis*Mom View Post
We just returned Sunday night from a 5 night stay in the Cars Suites. Loved, loved the suites and the location. Last year I stayed in the LM section as it was just me and my daughter. We loved this section but the walk got really tiring after all day in the parks. This trip my whole family went so the suite worked out great.

To answer your question the movies were played at the pool this past week, the first time I was there they were played in the Lion King section as we would walk past them at night on the way to the LM section. I also saw people in the pools all during the night. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much! That's super helpful! =)
Rowanonfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: