Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #1696
bluezy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
We booked here in a LK Suite for the first half of our next trip.

As I was looking at the room configuration, I find myself thinking how nice it would have been if Disney had removed one of the end tables in the room with the queen bed and put in king beds instead. That would have been great.

I am glad I get to stay in this resort. I'm trying to stay at all but the DVC resorts just to say I did.
It would be nice to have some of the rooms have a king-sized bed but for us, I prefer a queen-size bed and more floor space in that room. We thought we were going to have to put an air mattress in that room for one of our kids when we were there last summer (we ended up not having to) and it would have been really tight with a king-sized bed. Same for parents who need to have a pack & play in the room. There's space for that with a queen-size bed but it would be tight with a king. That being said, if I was only traveling with 1 or 2 kids (rather than 4), I would probably enjoy the option of having a king-size bed in the bedroom, but I would still want a nightstand on each side of the bed. DH & I both wear glasses (at least at the end of the day -- usually contacts during the day) and I hate not having anywhere to set my glasses at night as well as a mug of water.
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #1697
mishy514
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2

we just got back from our trip a week and a half ago. we had a great time....despite a nasty stomach bug that took out half of our group (and according to other moms in the laundry area also cleaning vomit covered clothes it was going around the hotel!)

we stayed at the nemo suite. nice and big. however the halls are LOUD! you could hear doors opening and closing, peoples conversations as they walk past your room.

part of the cafeteria was closed bc they were fixing the floors, you could see on the parts they didnt do yet that alot of the tile was cracking and looked really disgusting. we walked over to POP one night for dinner, we actually prefer that food area over AOA. I still cant believe AOA doesnt have chicken fingers....thankfully we ordered thru garden grocer!

i always thought pools at disney were heated....but they were freezing!! first we went in nemo and thought maybe bc it was cold the night before it made the water cold. We tried the cars pool and it was cold too. its a much smaller pool and if the heater was on it would have been warmed by late afternoon!

if you plan on doing alot of time in the pool you def. want to get a nemo suite. some of the other suites could def. be a long walk to the pool. Little mermaid was really far, never even made it to that pool. the pool at POP was closer lol
mishy514 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #1698
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!
 
zurgswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,392

We are headed back this summer...last summer we had a suite at Cars but this year there are only 3 of us so we are just getting a room in Mermaid hope we enjoy it as much sa we did Cars suites...
__________________
[IMG]

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #1699
JStiffler
Mouseketeer
 
JStiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Greeece, NY
Posts: 160

45 days and we will be in a LM room. Can't wait!!!
JStiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #1700
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The World's Best Sand ~ Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 32,110

well I took the plunge and booked the cars suite for our trip in August....outrageously priced, but I know my kids will be happy.
__________________
V's Bad Girl Guide to Partying Through Panama!
Join my 2006 trip and planning adventures ~ Bad Girl style!
Yo ho, yo ho A Pirate's Life for V ~ Comandeering the Disney Magic 12/9-12/16
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #1701
cgattis
DIS Veteran
 
cgattis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
well I took the plunge and booked the cars suite for our trip in August....outrageously priced, but I know my kids will be happy.
I finally confessed to DH how much more I spent for our Cars room than the Dolphin, and he thought it was worth it. This from a guy who would never ask to go to Disney again unless I planned it. I think you'll be pleased
cgattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #1702
Frozen2014
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,585

We're coming in October staying in a Lion King suite. Can't wait!

Just wondering what Landscape of Flavors is like? The menu looks pretty good with a great place for grabbing breakfast.
__________________
Frozen2014 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #1703
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14
 
mrsap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,065

Hey guys, I'd love your opinions. We are a family of 4, (two kids under 5). Right now we booked a LM room for 6 days, which will be the 2nd part of a split stay. During the six days we are at AOA, we will most likely spend 5 of the days in the parks. We were thinking we'd love the bigger room space a suite has to offer, but were wondering if the extra money was worth it. Right now we got a good deal on the LM room, and with the discount we'd get on a suite, we'd probably spend about $450 more. My DH thinks we should just keep the LM room, since we technically will just be sleeping there, and use the extra money for more character breakfasts or dinner around the parks. I'm worried that we're so used to 2 bedroom suites with all their extra space, that we'll feel really claustrophobic. I'd appreciate anyone who has had experience with small kids that could share their experience. Thanks!!!
__________________
"What do you mean there are other places to vacation besides Disney?!"

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #1704
Figee17
Mouseketeer
 
Figee17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
well I took the plunge and booked the cars suite for our trip in August....outrageously priced, but I know my kids will be happy.
We stayed in one last summer and were thrilled with it. My 3 yo boy was ecstatic and couldn't get enough of the cars around (had to say good morning and goodnight to them all) and the cozy cone pool! Enjoy!!!
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #1705
stephwtx
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 133

Hey I need some advice! We are staying at AoA in June and have some morning ADR's we are trying to figure out how to get too. We will be using Disney transportation. We need to get to Chef Mickey at the contemporary and 1900 Park Fair at Grand Floridian. Both are before park opening. How long is the walk from MK to the Contemporary? Thanks so much!!
stephwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #1706
jms
Mouseketeer
 
jms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwtx View Post
Hey I need some advice! We are staying at AoA in June and have some morning ADR's we are trying to figure out how to get too. We will be using Disney transportation. We need to get to Chef Mickey at the contemporary and 1900 Park Fair at Grand Floridian. Both are before park opening. How long is the walk from MK to the Contemporary? Thanks so much!!
I don't know the answer on the walk but another option is to take the resort monorail from MK to the Contemporary.
__________________
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #1707
treemi01
SMKCTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 101

The walk from the Magic Kingdom is about 10 minutes (maybe less) and very doable. I actually really like it myself, and my kids have never complained about it. To get to the Grand Floridian, take the MK bus and transfer to the resort monorail. Allow plenty of time, and these are easy peasy to get to!
treemi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #1708
bluezy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
Hey guys, I'd love your opinions. We are a family of 4, (two kids under 5). Right now we booked a LM room for 6 days, which will be the 2nd part of a split stay. During the six days we are at AOA, we will most likely spend 5 of the days in the parks. We were thinking we'd love the bigger room space a suite has to offer, but were wondering if the extra money was worth it. Right now we got a good deal on the LM room, and with the discount we'd get on a suite, we'd probably spend about $450 more. My DH thinks we should just keep the LM room, since we technically will just be sleeping there, and use the extra money for more character breakfasts or dinner around the parks. I'm worried that we're so used to 2 bedroom suites with all their extra space, that we'll feel really claustrophobic. I'd appreciate anyone who has had experience with small kids that could share their experience. Thanks!!!
I really think it depends on what your family is used to and what they can tolerate. We were almost always a family of 5, 6, or 7 when we were traveling with young kids. We traveled to Disney with 4 & 5 yo's a few times. Even when we were traveling with just 3 kids, we always chose 2 connecting rooms at Pop Century (pre-AoA days) over 1 room that could accommodate 5 people (like POR). Here are just a few things that made us prefer more space over less cost.

1. Two bathrooms

2. Two sleeping areas -- very helpful when younger kids need to be in bed by a certain time but the adults would like to watch some TV or just talk awhile before going to sleep. Same in the morning -- adults could get up earlier than the kids and get ready before waking the wee ones.

3. Enough beds so that no kids had to share a bed. They're all restless sleepers and are used to having their own beds at night. They do sometimes share a bed if we're just going away for a night or two, but they're constantly waking each other up and then they're tired and cranky the next day. Extra beds (and an extra room for that matter) came in very handy one year when 3 out of 5 people in our family got sick (all different ailments) at some point during our trip. We were able to quarantine the sicko of the day. :-)

4. We also look at our room mostly as a place to shower and sleep (which is why we typically stay at Value resorts -- we would never use the extra amenities we would pay for at higher levels) but the extra space came in very handy the year it rained for hours and hours every single day of our trip. While we still spent a lot of time in the parks, we did spend more time in the room(s) than we normally would since we weren't swimming and strolling around the resort in the evenings like we normally would have.

5. Two TV's. We'd let the kids watch Disney movies or cartoons in the evenings while getting them ready for bed and giving them a little "wind down" time before sleeping. We could get them settled in one room while we watched something else for our "wind down" in the other room.

6. At AoA, a suite is going to give you a much better location in relation to the main building and bus stops. It will be a shorter walk at the end of a long day of walking in the parks. And if you're using the refillable mugs. If you're using a car for transportation then it's not as big of an issue as you can park fairly close to the LM buildings.

For us, we'd spend the extra money for a suite (even with only 4 people) just because it will make our vacation less stressful and more enjoyable. However, there are plenty of families who just get a standard room with 4 people. We aren't big fans of character meals or table service meals in general (we do one or two a trip at most) -- so we'd spend the extra money on the room.

Last edited by bluezy; 04-11-2014 at 03:16 PM.
bluezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #1709
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14
 
mrsap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezy View Post

I really think it depends on what your family is used to and what they can tolerate. We were almost always a family of 5, 6, or 7 when we were traveling with young kids. We traveled to Disney with 4 & 5 yo's a few times. Even when we were traveling with just 3 kids, we always chose 2 connecting rooms at Pop Century (pre-AoA days) over 1 room that could accommodate 5 people (like POR). Here are just a few things that made us prefer more space over less cost.

1. Two bathrooms

2. Two sleeping areas -- very helpful when younger kids need to be in bed by a certain time but the adults would like to watch some TV or just talk awhile before going to sleep. Same in the morning -- adults could get up earlier than the kids and get ready before waking the wee ones.

3. Enough beds so that no kids had to share a bed. They're all restless sleepers and are used to having their own beds at night. They do sometimes share a bed if we're just going away for a night or two, but they're constantly waking each other up and then they're tired and cranky the next day. Extra beds (and an extra room for that matter) came in very handy one year when 3 out of 5 people in our family got sick (all different ailments) at some point during our trip. We were able to quarantine the sicko of the day. :-)

4. We also look at our room mostly as a place to shower and sleep (which is why we typically stay at Value resorts -- we would never use the extra amenities we would pay for at higher levels) but the extra space came in very handy the year it rained for hours and hours every single day of our trip. While we still spent a lot of time in the parks, we did spend more time in the room(s) than we normally would since we weren't swimming and strolling around the resort in the evenings like we normally would have.

5. Two TV's. We'd let the kids watch Disney movies or cartoons in the evenings while getting them ready for bed and giving them a little "wind down" time before sleeping. We could get them settled in one room while we watched something else for our "wind down" in the other room.

6. At AoA, a suite is going to give you a much better location in relation to the mail building and bus stops. It will be a shorter walk at the end of a long day of walking in the parks. And if you're using the refillable mugs. If you're using a car for transportation then it's not as big of an issue as you can park fairly close to the LM buildings.

For us, we'd spend the extra money for a suite (even with only 4 people) just because it will make our vacation less stressful and more enjoyable. However, there are plenty of families who just get a standard room with 4 people. We aren't big fans of character meals or table service meals in general (we do one or two a trip at most) -- so we'd spend the extra money on the room.
Thanks for writing!! I read your post to my DH, and we are still torn. I'm leaning more towards space, he's leaning more towards extra money for nice dinners. We have to just sit down and see what will work best for us as a group. Either option, I don't think we're losing out. We picked AoA for the kids, so I know they will be happy in either room. I'll keep you posted, thanks again!!
__________________
"What do you mean there are other places to vacation besides Disney?!"

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #1710
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!
 
Carrie772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezy View Post
I really think it depends on what your family is used to and what they can tolerate. We were almost always a family of 5, 6, or 7 when we were traveling with young kids. We traveled to Disney with 4 & 5 yo's a few times. Even when we were traveling with just 3 kids, we always chose 2 connecting rooms at Pop Century (pre-AoA days) over 1 room that could accommodate 5 people (like POR). Here are just a few things that made us prefer more space over less cost.
I love your trip report! And I agree with almost everything in your post! Since our kids are getting bigger and bigger, even the Poly rooms are too small for us. It's our favorite resort when we can afford it, but it will be so nice to split up 3 bickering kids amongst two bathrooms and their respective sink space! Not to mention the sleeping separately thing! My boys did not love that their sister got the queen sized bed at the Poly and they had to use a blow up and the fold out couch! There seems to be more equality at AOA in regards to kid sleeping options...

Oh, I just can't wait!
__________________
Me: DH: DS17: DD14: DS11:
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: