Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Antonio
Mouseketeer

POR or POP?

I'm currently booked for POR. There is 3 adults and 2 kids staying in 2 separate rooms. I have the potential to save like $500 if we stay in POP. Is the upgrade to POR worth it? Any feedback would be great.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
kirsangel
Mouseketeer

i'd vote for POR

If you are not planning on spending much time at the hotel, switch to POP. But if you want to spend time at the resort swimming and relaxing, stay at POR. The pool and pool bar are nicer with a slide for the kids, the lounge entertainer at POR(can't recall his name right now) is awesome, the atmosphere is very relaxing. Plus, you can hope over to POFQ for beignets! Yummy!
kirsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

POR is our favorite resort. We tried All Star Sports for a night on our last trip and, no thank you. We tried to save a few buck for our first night since we were getting in late. We will pay the extra next time. The atmosphere is so nice at POR. I agree with the pp though. If you are not planning on spending any time at the resort, than just having a bed to fall into at night would be fine over at Pop. Yee Ha Bob is the entertainer at POR. He is loved by adults and kids alike.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
bzdzmom
Earning My Ears

We've stayed at POR, but I've never stayed at POP.

The bus lines are usually longer at the POP.

POR is extremely laid back and relaxing. If they are still running the boat to Downtown Disney, it's a lot of fun, too.

Have fun!

94 Courtyard International Drive • 95 Marriott World Center • 96 Yacht Club • 99 Contemporary
00 Yacht Club • 02 Port Orleans • 03 Tropical Palms RV Kissimmee • 05 Beach Club Villas
06 Marriott World Center • 06 Saratoga Springs Villas • 09 Fort Wilderness • 12 Saratoga Springs Villas
13 Disney Fantasy Western • 14 Disney Fantasy Eastern

bzdzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Not sure how long you're staying, but we'd still pick POR over POP. We stayed at POP a fews years back before we went on our Disney Cruise & just didn't like it, worse part is we really can't say why, there really wasn't anything wrong with the room. POR is our favorite moderate hotel. just my 2 cents worth.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
khibs
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at both resorts and POR is our favourite. We both agreed that we would never go back to POP! The rooms at POP were lovely just as POR but the atmosphere is very different! We felt like the food hall at POP was like a cattle market and after being in the parks we preferred a more laid back less hectic resort!
khibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
kastoney
Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

I've stayed at both and for $500 staying at Pop is a no brainier to me. I couldn't justify that much money for what mounts to a pool slide, covered bus stops, and queen size beds. In my opinion that money could be used for food or souvenirs. Plus not sure how old the kids are but New Orleans theming doesn't scream kid to me.

WDW 78, 86, 89, 90, 94, 97, 99, 01, 10, 13, 14
Disneyland 86, 89 & 07 (Honeymoon)
Next up the big 4-0 Birthday Trip with WL/BW Split Stay 12-21 Sep
kastoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

Now we have stayed at both and LOVE BOTH resorts.

Like the first response said, if you are going to spend some time at the resort, then POR is WORTH the extra money. You really can (and we have) spend an entire day at the resort and use all the amentities. (i.e. Take a boat to downtown disney, rent a boat or two and ride down the river, enjoy the wonderful pool, ride a bike or two and enjoy the resort, see yee-haw Bob ( A MUST DO!!!) enjoy the nice food court, or take the 5 minute walk and visit French Quarters.

Now I see you have stayed at All-stars, so you know what you would be getting into with pop, all the cvalues are very similar, POP is just better themed and has a much better food court then the all-stars. (plus you can take a walk accross the bridge and visit the new Art of animation resort.

If you haven't done POR once and are going going to spend some time at resort, keep that ressie and enjoy it.

On a side note, If money is a concern have you thought about just getting one room at POR. they have rooms with one of those pull out beds to sleep five. Now with three adults that would be alittle cramped. But it would save the money. just a thought.

Either way you can not go wrong, enjoy your trip!!1
Old 05-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
melissafox18
DIS Veteran

We haven't stayed at POR, so I can't speak to that resort, but I really liked POP. We stayed there for 6 nights last year (just DH and I) and didn't really have any complaints. We spent most of our days in the park and the weather was either light rain or cooler (mid 70s) so we only went to the pool one day during our stay there. He said he didn't know if he would stay in a value resort again because it was a little busier - especially refilling drinks and around the main pool, but the quiet pools weren't bad at all. For a short period of time, we were the only ones there.

As for buses and Pop, I didn't feel like our bus was ever obscenely crowded - but I'm comparing it to the buses at the All Star resorts which was like a can of sardines no matter what time of day. While there are no covered bus stops, it didn't bother us much.

That being said, if it was a $500 difference, I'd much rather add a dining plan, go out to a nice dinner, or spend it on gifts for the kiddies.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Antonio
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm gonna stick with POR. The fact that POP doesn't have a sit down bar was the deal breaker. I enjoy a couple of cocktails at the end of the night especially after a hot summer day at the parks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: